• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgaf: 'cause boys will be girls (and vice versa)

Nudull

Banned
Hey. This is my first post in a good while, but I feel I should get things out of the way for those who do not know. A lot of my efforts have been falling apart, and things at home are only getting worse. I'm more or less boxed in with my own issues, my growing depression and dealings with self-acceptance, and I don't have too many to really speak to. I can't simply move out, nor is there any shelter in Florida or people like me. Outside of all of you, I'm very much alone at this point, and there's really so much that I can take from the people I have to live with before I end of hurting myself or worse. It's almost happened before, recently. I'll do what I can to try and speak more, but I can't make any promises.

Emitan

Hey. This is my first post in a good while, but I feel I should get things out of the way for those who do not know. A lot of my efforts have been falling apart, and things at home are only getting worse. I'm more or less boxed in with my own issues, my growing depression and dealings with self-acceptance, and I don't have too many to really speak to. I can't simply move out, nor is there any shelter in Florida or people like me. Outside of all of you, I'm very much alone at this point, and there's really so much that I can take from the people I have to live with before I end of hurting myself or worse. It's almost happened before, recently. I'll do what I can to try and speak more, but I can't make any promises.

Nudull :(

I want to remind you that you are a wonderful person that we care about. Please don't hurt yourself. You are in a terrible place right now but you have to stay strong until things improve because they will. You might not be able to see it now but if you stay strong things will get better.

Never forget that you are loved.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Keep talking to the people here or in IRC then if you feel alone. You're not.

This is just one phase in your life and it will pass and you will be stronger.

I think I saw a trans woman at a store today. :O If only we had a secret handshake, I could have confirmed it.
Fuck. Definitely go to the IRC room.

Platy

I think I saw a trans woman at a store today. :O If only we had a secret handshake, I could have confirmed it.

vtHLZ.jpg

Nikashi

Banned
Hi, just checking in because I was away from GAF for a while. Hope everyone is doing good, or at the very least, as well as can be expected :)

Nudull

Banned
So. Found out last night that my brother has been looking over my whole trans and sex-related things through my phone that he's "borrowed", and has very much exposed it all in the open while making a complete ass out of me. Fun way to start the day. :/

Emitan

So. Found out last night that my brother has been looking over my whole trans and sex-related things through my phone that he's "borrowed", and has very much exposed it all in the open while making a complete ass out of me. Fun way to start the day. :/

*hugs*

I might be biased but Cloud Atlas is the best film I've seen this year.

It's also the only one >_>

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
So Thanksgiving is next week. And I'm pretty much going to have to visit my parents, which means I'm pretty much going to have to tell them that I've been on hormones for a while. That's... gonna be interesting.

On the upside I've started wearing full makeup all the time now, thanks to having several nude/natural eye shadow shades. Even though I really wanna just go out in blue or purple or whatnot, just too hesitant about being so obvious with it.

So Thanksgiving is next week. And I'm pretty much going to have to visit my parents, which means I'm pretty much going to have to tell them that I've been on hormones for a while. That's... gonna be interesting.

On the upside I've started wearing full makeup all the time now, thanks to having several nude/natural eye shadow shades. Even though I really wanna just go out in blue or purple or whatnot, just too hesitant about being so obvious with it.
Well, good luck?

And it is? Shit, the time flies.

Totes sucks.

Of course, I never was one for Thanksgiving anyways. Just more mad that they didn't even bother to ask me if I wanted to go.

Ah, no use dwelling on what's happened anyway.

I'm actually dreading Thanksgiving/Christmas. My family is ok, though I know they wouldn't be if I told them. I've only told my mom and 2 years later she's still in denial. It's just gonna be awkward. I wish they'd just not invite me.

Shattered dreams for a better life, yeah, but..pumpkin pie is a compelling argument.

Fake edit: Also, hi! I forgot that I haven't posted here before.

Emitan

I'm actually dreading Thanksgiving/Christmas. My family is ok, though I know they wouldn't be if I told them. I've only told my mom and 2 years later she's still in denial. It's just gonna be awkward. I wish they'd just not invite me.

Shattered dreams for a better life, yeah, but..pumpkin pie is a compelling argument.

Hello! I would bake pumpkin pies for all of TransGAF if I could.

Hello, welcome and it's a real shame about that.

Tis a shame.

Also, my plans for going to therapy have ended for now.

Boogiepop

Gah, I really hate weddings. Having to spend half a day or so stuck in super-gendered tight clothing surrounded by a crowd of people all doing the same is not a fun time for my psyche.

Anyway, I got my first haircut in a while and for once was listened to when I asked for as little off as humanly possible (parents making me go because dead ends and whatnot). What's the optimal approach for growing out hair anyway? I've just kind of been avoiding haircuts as much as possible due to how crappy they make me feel.

Oh, and anyone have any tips for dealing with the stupid masculine hairline crap? It really, really annoys me and my bangs can't help but fall in line with it. Stupid hairline.

mollipen

I'd grow my hair out longer if it wasn't so damn curly.

If I grow it out too much, I look like my avatar.

I have very curly hair, and in the first stages it indeed looks like that. Once it gets longer, though, it gets more manageable. It's always a pain in the ass, but with the right hair towel, shampoo, conditioner, hair gel, and proper treatment, it can be done—and some people will be jealous of you.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I have very curly hair, and in the first stages it indeed looks like that. Once it gets longer, though, it gets more manageable. It's always a pain in the ass, but with the right hair towel, shampoo, conditioner, hair gel, and proper treatment, it can be done—and some people will be jealous of you.

Show off! D:

Hair towel...? Conditioner?

Christ, I've just been putting under the water and using my anti-dandruff shampoo on it.

mollipen

Hair towel...? Conditioner?

Christ, I've just been putting under the water and using my anti-dandruff shampoo on it.

If you have naturally curly hair, and have it at any length beyond a buzz cut, then you definitely should take the time to learn more about how to care for it. The difference between when I had no idea about any of that stuff, and after I learned some curly hair care tips, was night and day.

optimiss

Anyone have any experience with hair growth from progesterone? I had a tiny bit of hair loss before transition which mostly came back from estrogen and spiro but plateaued about 5 years ago. After being on progesterone for 6 months I suddenly had a bunch of extra head hair growing in!! Unfortunately I stopped progesterone because of unwanted hair growth in other places *shudder*. I am going to try finasteride instead and see if I get the same results.

TL;DR Why would progesterone promote hair growth that estrogen/spiro wouldn't?

yeoz

Anyone have any experience with hair growth from progesterone? I had a tiny bit of hair loss before transition which mostly came back from estrogen and spiro but plateaued about 5 years ago. After being on progesterone for 6 months I suddenly had a bunch of extra head hair growing in!! Unfortunately I stopped progesterone because of unwanted hair growth in other places *shudder*. I am going to try finasteride instead and see if I get the same results.

TL;DR Why would progesterone promote hair growth that estrogen/spiro wouldn't?

Progesterone is responsible for hair growth in cis women during pregnancy too.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5712325_progesterone-hair-growth.html said:
Pregnancy
It's common during pregnancy for a woman to notice her hair has gotten a lot thicker and she has more of it. This is due to the surge of progesterone in the body during pregnancy.

Post-pregnancy
After a pregnancy, as hormone levels return to normal, women who found extra hair on their head, find the extra hair falling out at a rapid rate.

That's not the greatest source, but it gets the point across I think.

Progesterone, however is also *androgenic* though, which could explain the unwanted hair growth.
You can try medroxyprogesterone or other progestins instead, which can be less androgenic and more estrogenic, and see if that makes a difference.
Ask your doctor about it! (Although you'll probably need to do a lot of the legwork research yourself.)

(And if you actually meant medroxyprogesterone when you said progesterone, then I don't have any good answers :p I will try to do some more research on this stuff later.)

optimiss

Progesterone is responsible for hair growth in cis women during pregnancy too.

That's not the greatest source, but it gets the point across I think.

Progesterone, however is also *androgenic* though, which could explain the unwanted hair growth.
You can try medroxyprogesterone or other progestins instead, which can be less androgenic and more estrogenic, and see if that makes a difference.
Ask your doctor about it! (Although you'll probably need to do a lot of the legwork research yourself.)

(And if you actually meant medroxyprogesterone when you said progesterone, then I don't have any good answers :p I will try to do some more research on this stuff later.)

Thanks. I was taking injectable progesterone under my doctor's care. So far it seems as if my new hairs are staying put (even the unwanted ones) despite being off progesterone for 2 months now. In fact, I seem to be gaining more. I don't have a scientific explanation, but it seems like it kickstarted something that estrogen/spiro never did. He made the recommendation to put me on finasteride (started it 2 days ago) to try to keep it going. Time will tell...

This is probably a stupid (and obvious answer) question, but do you think I overreacted when someone seriously said that being transgender is a choice?

I didn't blow up, but I did tell that person to "Fuck off and if being transgender was a choice, don't you think I would choose to identify with my birth gender instead of fucking hating my body and wanting to commit suicide instead of going on in this body?"

Emitan

This is probably a stupid (and obvious answer) question, but do you think I overreacted when someone seriously said that being transgender is a choice?

I didn't blow up, but I did tell that person to "Fuck off and if being transgender was a choice, don't you think I would choose to identify with my birth gender instead of fucking hating my body and wanting to commit suicide instead of going on in this body?"

I agree with the message but it's not really a good idea to get angry. I've done it in threads here, but it's something I regret later.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
It is very difficult to not react to things like that with anger but i always try to keep in mind that most people have zero idea of what it is like to have gender dysphoria.

I agree with the message but it's not really a good idea to get angry. I've done it in threads here, but it's something I regret later.
Yeah, and I do have a problem with my anger. It's like, I can be totally calm and such one moment and then someone says something so stupid or offensive to me and I just blow up.

Does it always happen? No, often (especially if it's one of my friends) I just tell them that whatever they did offended me.

Platy

Once I read an article about a feminist talking about how she was on a feminist forum and one person totaly went transphobic for not knowing and she politely explained to that person what she got wrong...

...and the text was about how she was conflicted about herself BECAUSE she was nice. She would not be nice if someone said that homosexuality is a choice, so with trans people it should not be diferent.

Top Bottom