• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgaf: 'cause boys will be girls (and vice versa)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Also the fact that the entire argument is that "cisgender" is a "made up word" ....

...which ignores the fact that EVERY SINGLE WORD is a "made up word" =P
I believe all you need for a word to be in the Oxford English Dictionary is to see it used in five different sources. Basically, if you say something and some group of people understand you, then it's a word. It might be slang or jargon, or it might stick around longer than that.

Fun fact: Shakespeare made up many words and phrases we continue to use today. Even The Simpsons has invented words that still find common use.

I believe all you need for a word to be in the Oxford English Dictionary is to see it used in five different sources. Basically, if you say something and some group of people understand you, then it's a word. It might be slang or jargon, or it might stick around longer than that.

Fun fact: Shakespeare made up many words and phrases we continue to use today. Even The Simpsons has invented words that still find common use.

The more we can embiggen the English language the better.

Emitan

I think the hormones are messing with me. Been sorta emotional and stressed out and I've been overreacting to things. Is this normal?

I think the hormones are messing with me. Been sorta emotional and stressed out and I've been overreacting to things. Is this normal?
Probably. I seem to recall others saying they experienced similar things when they started.

Congrats BTW! And congrats to Aiko and DJ too!

It's team meeting day here at work so I'm a little buzzed and reading this good news has given me some good feels. You are all braving a journey through life that is so much harder than anything I will ever encounter and I have incredible respect for your courage. I hope things continue to be awesome for you all and I know you will persevere when they are not.

Also, know that the booze I've drank hasn't contributed to me having these feelings, just my need to articulate them right now.

:D

mollipen

NoRéN;77647065 said:
Saw this today. Fucked up stuff.

I feel like a news station here in LA should be better at handling the transgender topic.

Things like "who is a man, but pronounced himself a woman" and "dressed in woman's clothing" are things you say if you've never dealt with the transgender topic before. I mean, unless Dominique was specifically a cross dresser, but the video clips looked to me like she had definitely been on hormones.

NoRéN

I feel like a news station here in LA should be better at handling the transgender topic.

Things like "who is a man, but pronounced himself a woman" and "dressed in woman's clothing" are things you say if you've never dealt with the transgender topic before. I mean, unless Dominique was specifically a cross dresser, but the video clips looked to me like she had definitely been on hormones.

Saw it on TV and it was a bit awkward how they were handling referring to the victim.

Apartment was bloody as hell. Really fucked up stuff.

mollipen

Hey everyone - I need help!

For our next Press XY panel (at the upcoming PAX Prime), we're talking about the issues transgender gamers face in the gaming community, and the problems they face with acceptance and coming out as part of the community.

As a part of this, we'd love to hear from people in the gaming community both trans and not trans about their experiences, how they feel trans gamers are accepted, and some other issues. The questionnaire is totally anonymous (unless you don't want it to be), and would be a big help to us so that the panelists can present more than just their own personal stories.

The questionnaire is on the homepage of pressxy.com, and should take you no more than five minutes or so to complete (unless you're willing to share some personal stories with us via the form).

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

For our next Press XY panel (at the upcoming PAX Prime), we're talking about the issues transgender gamers face in the gaming community, and the problems they face with acceptance and coming out as part of the community.

As a part of this, we'd love to hear from people in the gaming community both trans and not trans about their experiences, how they feel trans gamers are accepted, and some other issues. The questionnaire is totally anonymous (unless you don't want it to be), and would be a big help to us so that the panelists can present more than just their own personal stories.

The questionnaire is on the homepage of pressxy.com, and should take you no more than five minutes or so to complete (unless you're willing to share some personal stories with us via the form).
Done.

Kinsei

Banned
Filled out the questionnaire.

It seems my mothers views on trans people have taken a 180 since the last time I asked her. Apparently she has met a trans woman through work and it has helped her see that we are normal people. It seems I'll still have a family after I come out.

Tangeroo

Submitted. I'm sorry that I won't be there for the panel (or at PAX that day in general, due to an unforseen funeral) but I wish you the best.

Tenumi

Banned
I filled it out the best I could, given my situation.

I've got so much going on with my life, with anxiety and depression, and my brother and his boyfriend occupying half the house, that I find it hard to pinpoint myself. Both my counselor and my mother have both kind of agreed that I need to recover anxity-wise, and get out a bit more before I should really come to my conclusion.

Its kind of the thought in my head, am I thinking this was because I truly believe this and need it, or am I using it as an escape to get away from my situation?

mollipen

Any chance of changind non-transgendered to cisgender ?

The thing is, I can't count in all of the people coming to take the survey to have any clue what "cis" means, as many of them could be outside of the sphere of trans knowledge. So, I know the wording is a bit awkward, but I wanted to say it in a way that would be clearest to the widest audience possible.

yeoz

if you're having a crisis and you need help, please talk to someone.
Talk to a friend or family member, talk to a medical professional, talk to a teacher or administrator, talk to a priest or other religious authority or mentor, talk to your friends online, or PM and talk to any of us one on one if needed.

Talk to someone.

The Trevor Project: 24/7 crisis & suicide prevention helpline for GLBTQ youth. 1-866-488-7386
GLBT National Hotline: telephone and email peer-counseling in the US. 1-888-843-4564

National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-TALK, 1-800-273-8255
Hopeline: 1-800-SUICIDE, 1-800-784-2433 / 1-800-442-HOPE, 1-800-442-4673
1-877-968-8454 Teen-to-Teen peer counseling hotline
1-800-472-3457 Grad Student hotline
CrisisLink: 703-527-4077
Boys Town National Hotline: 800-448-3000 (they also have live chat and email support)
Depression Online Chat Support: New Hope Online, Real Mental Health and CONTACT USA crisis chat

Additional non-US resources available here if needed.

Sats

Banned
Well...

Going ahead and saying the truth, is that I am trans. Recently got outted for pretty much being a fake, but the thing is, is that the personality, was all real..

I'm just really insecure, and being trans already gives me all these problems, and when it gets combined with my behavior and personality, I just end up disgusting people, or turning away friends, and well, I'm sorry for lying, but that is the reason why. (For those that were aware of the lying)

I'd understand if I'm not welcome by the community. If I get turned away and hated, you'd pretty much be in line behind the rest of GAF OT that thinks I'm so weird troll.

But I don't want to be considered that troll, because that isn't me. A very open-minded and great Gaffer suggested I post here so...there you go.

kehs

Banned
Don't let people get you down when they call you out for being a "weirdo" or whatever. Half of these people are just faking the funk, pretending to be normal...whatever the fuck that means.

Congrats on being brave an coming out though. I admire the shit out the people that decide to transition, especially the people in this thread. It seems like one of the hardest things to do in life.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well I'm going to start off by saying you're welcome here dear and I feel a bit insecure about it sometimes too. I don't really mention it outside this thread much because of that, so your not alone there. If you want to chat with everyone I can PM you the IRC channel if you feel like letting loose or just hanging out or if you just want to chat with me in private I'm up for that too. :>

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Well...

Going ahead and saying the truth, is that I am trans. Recently got outted for pretty much being a fake, but the thing is, is that the personality, was all real..

Pictures or no pictures, you're still yourself. That's not being fake. I'll stick up for you if anyone dares to call you such, and I'm sure many others will too. Everyone deserves to feel comfortable with themselves, including you.

Sats

Banned
It's fine you're trans, but I'm utterly confused by your recent behavior and what that has to do with being trans? I'm glad you 'girled' up so to speak and braved the storm and didn't leave, but like, I'm just confused.

The personality, and the behavior, is all me. The only thing that wasn't me, was being physically female. I feel disgusted and ashamed with myself everytime I even think about wishing I was a girl, having this personality, and wanting to do these things, so I created a female persona that I could exhibit that behavior in, without feeling disgusted with myself. I clouded my mind by thinking that everyone on GAF would be repulsed by me, but it was just my insecurity...

The personality, and the behavior, is all me. The only thing that wasn't me, was being physically female. I feel disgusted and ashamed with myself everytime I even think about wishing I was a girl, having this personality, and wanting to do these things, so I created a female persona that I could exhibit that behavior in, without feeling disgusted with myself. I clouded my mind by thinking that everyone on GAF would be repulsed by me, but it was just my insecurity...

No worries, that's all in the past.
You don't need a female persona when you are female :)

Sibylus

Banned
Well...

I'm just really insecure, and being trans already gives me all these problems, and when it gets combined with my behavior and personality, I just end up disgusting people, or turning away friends, and well, I'm sorry for lying, but that is the reason why. (For those that were aware of the lying)

I'd understand if I'm not welcome by the community. If I get turned away and hated, you'd pretty much be in line behind the rest of GAF OT that thinks I'm so weird troll.

But I don't want to be considered that troll, because that isn't me. A very open-minded and great Gaffer suggested I post here so...there you go.
You were and remain cool in my book, Sats. Insecurity is something we all battle with, and honesty is invariably hard, but we have your back if you have ours. Welcome! :)

Robin64

*big hug*

Tenumi

Banned
CHEEZMO™;79179061 said:
I only just noticed what your avatar is, Sats. I thought it was a cup of tea lmao.

That'd be one sexy, slimey cup of tea. :)

Sats, I had such trouble coming to terms with being trans. Everyone in this thread wants to see everyone succeed and be happy with themselves. I still have my anxiety and depression issues, and I have trouble getting my parents and counselor to understand, but I know I've got people to talk to when I need to.

Top Bottom