• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgaf: 'cause boys will be girls (and vice versa)

lexi

Banned
It be should noted that I don't want to diminish her actually coming out, it's just that this has been obviously brewing for a long time.

Anura

So this finally happened

I like in the interview how she talks about learning about Trans stuff at the age of 13. Pretty sure everyone here has the same experience in so some way. It's also why the whole "gotta make them relevant to the story" defense is one of my most detested objection to having minority characters in media. (don't worry, I still hate the rest of empty excuses with a passion). Imagine if Trans characters were out there and being shown to kids like us

When I was around the age of 14 is when I discovered what "Trans" was the moment where "when I get older I'm just going to kill myself..." Started to mutate into "when I get older I'm going to do something about this!".
It really is a life changing moment to see there are others like you and being finally able to say "I'm not a freak! There are people just like me!". If I could have had that revelation sooner it would have been a godsend for those early teen years....

Amalthea

Banned
I found the part of her being partially conscious about it during early childhood but then going into denial during the pre-teens pretty interesting. Happened to me too.

The way many transgender kids still have to grow up without being given the possibility to express themselves seems to me like one of the huge problems of being transgender.
Especially since certain kids in more liberal environements already have the chance.

EDIT: Also pulled that hyper-androgynous thing but it actually didn't help my mental wellbeing much. Maybe because nobody gave me a luxurious job because of it. lol

Platy

Lol xD

Also ... does this means that she already went hrt ?

That would explain a lot =P

But would be kinda fun if she started now ... and suddenly got bigget breasts than the size the fashion world acepts xD

Like a pizza place next to a college campus, everybody called it.

hehehe
This reminds me of Gigi Gorgeous (a very pretty beauty guru on YouTube who previously identified as an effeminate crossdresser before coming out); everybody knew that she was going to transition eventually but it was also easy to tell that she was struggling with her true identity and she would often quickly deny rumors (from fans, of course) about identifying as a woman. Now she seems so much happier and it's really nice to see her as who she really is.

Dai101

Banned
paluku.gif

Platy

Strange ... when i read that article I did not feel it was pro-TERF .... it feels just a history of terf x trans fight .... it even paints how depressing small and hatefull is the terf movement

Anastasia

Strange ... when i read that article I did not feel it was pro-TERF .... it feels just a history of terf x trans fight .... it even paints how depressing small and hatefull is the terf movement

The problem is that it doesn't do a good job of criticizing TERFs, nor criticizes them enough. Second, it gives a podium to their hate, which is magnified by The New Yorker having published the article (a very big podium). It presents them as one side of a "debate" that shouldn't even exist. The ambiguous, "What Is a Woman?" title doesn't do the article any favors either.

The problem is that it doesn't do a good job of criticizing TERFs, nor criticizes them enough. Second, it gives a podium to their hate, which is magnified by The New Yorker having published the article (a very big podium). It presents them as one side of a "debate" that shouldn't even exist. The ambiguous, "What Is a Woman?" title doesn't do the article any favors either.

This. The way it was presented was very one-sided, with many egregious points remaining uncountered.

Anura

Do most people even know transmen exist? Whenever I see articles/TERF views like that they always seem to frame "transgender" as male to female only. Can you at least try to research a bit before hating us?

Dash_

It definitely felt like a pro-TERF article to me. Trans women were painted in a light that made them look pesterish at best and disturbed/stalkerish at worst, where their TERF counterparts were presented as rational and persecuted.

EmiPrime

Do most people even know transmen exist? Whenever I see articles/TERF views like that they always seem to frame "transgender" as male to female only. Can you at least try to research a bit before hating us?

Trans men: Poor confused butches, worthy of sympathy. Efforts must be made to bring them back into the fold.

Trans women: Interlopers and rapists, reaffirming the evil gender binary. Must be harassed and denied treatment until they are wiped out.

TERF logic!

Platy

No.

The only place I can remember that had a transmen in the popular media was The L Word, a cult series aimed at the LGBT people.

It is like Snape said in Dogma ... if nobody made a movie about, nobody knows

iirate

Trans men: Poor confused butches, worthy of sympathy. Efforts must be made to bring them back into the fold.

Trans women: Interlopers and rapists, reaffirming the evil gender binary. Must be harassed and denied treatment until they are wiped out.

TERF logic!

All of the effeminate, gay trans men I know will sure be disappointed to learn they're just confused butches.

EmiPrime

All of the effeminate, gay trans men I know will sure be disappointed to learn they're just confused butches.

One day the penny will drop and TERFs will recognise that trans men and women are disproportionately more likely to challenge gender norms.

Then again probably not as that fact alone destroys most of their arguments.

Beth Cyra

So I don't know why I thought to post in this thread.

I'm at the start talking to councilors about being Transgendered. So I guess I was just kinda wondering if it's for people who are starting to go through the beginning process.

If its only for those who have really gone through much more then the initial tests and guides then I apologize.

It's something that has been building and lately I've kinda lost control of it.

Alchemy

I'm at the start talking to councilors about being Transgendered. So I guess I was just kinda wondering if it's for people who are starting to go through the beginning process.

If its only for those who have really gone through much more then the initial tests and guides then I apologize.

Sound just like me a month ago! I know I posted my share of 'oh god I'm losing it help' posts here when I started the process of therapy.

I'd hope everyone here would be supportive, it is a difficult and confusing thing to deal with. Hopefully your councilors help you find out whatever you need to do to feel better.

Beth Cyra

Sound just like me a month ago! I know I posted my share of 'oh god I'm losing it help' posts here when I started the process of therapy.

I'd hope everyone here would be supportive, it is a difficult and confusing thing to deal with. Hopefully your councilors help you find out whatever you need to do to feel better.

Haha thanks. Currently having a problem finding a councilor in my area that I want to stick with.

Still I appreciate your kind words.

Platy

We probably have enoght people that already "finished" hrt to count on one hand ... the majority is closer than where you are

Mistel

Banned

That's pretty much me in a nutshell really. I'm pretty much only had the counselling and a psychiatrist trips. For me I started I was too old to get anything physically done via child services and too young for adult ones.

Now I'm just waiting for my next appointment so I can get referred to adult stuff I think anyway. Because I'm going to be 18 before I have my next appointment most likely, so it's all up in the clouds.

Beth Cyra

That's pretty much me in a nutshell really. I'm pretty much only had the counselling and a psychiatrist trips. For me I started I was too old to get anything physically done via child services and too young for adult ones.

Now I'm just waiting for my next appointment so I can get referred to adult stuff I think anyway. Because I'm going to be 18 before I have my next appointment most likely, so it's all up in the clouds.

I'm actually to old to get anything done, or at least that is what I'm telling myself. I'm already 29 and turn 30 in October.

Alchemy

I'm actually to old to get anything done, or at least that is what I'm telling myself. I'm already 29 and turn 30 in October.

I'm 27, so not that much younger and I'm going to talk to doctors in two weeks about starting HRT. Never too late to try, I've seen some crazy transformations and just try to stay positive regarding mine.

I was afraid of still hating myself after transitioning, that it wouldn't turn out well but then I realized I had nothing to lose since I already hate myself now. Nowhere to go but up! And I already feel better just by doing little things like make up.

Beth Cyra

I'm 27, so not that much younger and I'm going to talk to doctors in two weeks about starting HRT. Never too late to try, I've seen some crazy transformations and just try to stay positive regarding mine.

I was afraid of still hating myself after transitioning, that it wouldn't turn out well but then I realized I had nothing to lose since I already hate myself now. Nowhere to go but up! And I already feel better just by doing little things like make up.

Haha that sounds scarily like me.

I'm still in the terrified stage. It's just one depression to many, one time wishing about it when talking to my SO to many.

So the SO said enough is enough, she wants me to be happy and that it's time to accept what its inside. So still scared and afraid that I can't do anything about it at this point.

Alchemy

Haha that sounds scarily like me.

I'm still in the terrified stage. It's just one depression to many, one time wishing about it when talking to my SO to many.

So the SO said enough is enough, she wants me to be happy and that it's time to accept what its inside. So still scared and afraid that I can't do anything about it at this point.

Sounds like you're a step ahead of me, I waited a while to talk to my wife about it because I was sort of afraid that telling her was the point of no return for transitioning and I was super afraid of accepting myself. Feel so much better after coming out to her and accepting myself. Now I'm just anxious waiting for doctor stuff.

Unfortunately where you live greatly changes what resources are available to you for this sort of thing, just make sure not to give up on yourself. If by some chance you're in the LA area you have a lot of options and I can point you towards the resources that helped me.

Beth Cyra

Sounds like you're a step ahead of me, I waited a while to talk to my wife about it because I was sort of afraid that telling her was the point of no return for transitioning and I was super afraid of accepting myself. Feel so much better after coming out to her and accepting myself. Now I'm just anxious waiting for doctor stuff.

Unfortunately where you live greatly changes what resources are available to you for this sort of thing, just make sure not to give up on yourself. If by some chance you're in the LA area you have a lot of options and I can point you towards the resources that helped me.

Haha I live in Rural Oregon. Probably the worst place for resources (not bad for the people mind, or at least I don't think it will be) but as far as doctors both mental and physical there isn't a lot avalible in mid/south Oregon.

Genetics matter more than age after puberty, really. Someone could be messed up at 17 if they got hit especially hard with the testosterone stick while other people can transition very successfully quite a bit older.

I turn 27 in October and am still super dubious about my chances of ever passing but I've gotta at least do everything I can to try and get there because the alternative wasn't very pretty.

Sibylus

Banned

Welcome to the thread, TruePrime! Fellow October baby here :)

Top Bottom