• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgaf: 'cause boys will be girls (and vice versa)

Mistel

Banned
There's nothing to regret from being honest with yourself I find.

Now I'm 18 I can hopefully actually get somewhere with this I can't stand the way I am now.

Amalthea

Banned
@Galileo
Sounds that you have like what's called Gender-Dysphoria. You doubt yourself because you think it's unorthodox or crazy. But you also seem to put a lot of value in your routine. Getting to a point where you are able to tell who you are will lessen the phases were you feel like your everyday life breaks apart. Also keep in mind that you don't just have to follow any binary if you feel uncomfortable with it, you can also be gender fluid.

Anura

Having self doubts like that is 100% normal and going from personal experience, talking about it is a huge, huge leap to start getting over it. What really, really helped me the most though, is taking the time to think and reflect about my whole life and how these feelings have effected it or my choices during it. Enough soul searching and you will find the answers you need and with even more soul searching you will be finally able to except what you found.

We're here for you! Just keep on trucking.

Sibylus

Banned
Welcome to the thread, Galileo!

Sounds like you're caught in a cycle that you'd like to break. Is your therapist helping you break it, or has that request of their help not yet happened?

Dash_

Had a few drinks last night and sent my mother (who I'd come out to a long time ago, before deciding it would be fun to waste ten years of my life) a "so I kinda started HRT a few months ago" message before I went to bed last night and got this back this morning:

Not that I need my parents at my age but it's really, unspeakably nice all the same.

Awesome, Box of Bunnies. Great to read that you got back a supportive response.

Last year you could say I had the weirdest "coming out" ever: I told my mother I had gender identity issues while carefully avoiding to give away details. (didn't mention occasionally dressing up, one night I was even reckless enough to go out)
A couple of days later, I made the most dramatic u-turn ever, telling her to forget everything I had said, that I was just overreacting and I was setting things straight with the help of my therapist anyway. (yeah I know, "seems legit", but thankfully she didn't inquire further).
Well, a year has passed now and yet again I find myself right where I started, though this time I'm starting to realise I might never escape this loop, regardless of how I feel during the rest of the year.

Back in my mid-teens I had a similar coming out moment where I wrote a letter to my mum and hid it underneath my mattress. I was still deliberating whether to give it her when she found it in my mattress and then confronted me about it after school. So I came out to her and she was surprisingly supportive and said she'd help me transition. At the time though, I had a panic attack about what it'd entail, how I'd be perceived (whether I'd ever pass), how it'd affect my mum's marriage to my step-dad... and then the next day I told her to forget about it and that it was just a 'phase'.

One of the biggest regrets in my life considering I started transitioning in my late twenties and all the associative hurdles that come with doing it later in life. My one advice to people coming out is that of course first know yourself and whether it is right for you, and if it is, don't let the time slip away from underneath you if you suspect your dysphoria is going to rear it's head again and again later in life.

Anyway, welcome to the transgaf Galileo. : )

Amalthea

Banned
I had the biggest fears about this for years too, despite being 100% sure that I'm Transgender. I felt so awful but now that I'm living as a woman I feel better than ever.

iirate

I had the biggest fears about this for years too, despite being 100% sure that I'm Transgender. I felt so awful but now that I'm living as a woman I feel better than ever.

Definitely. It took me a while to go from "I'm trans" to "I'm going to transition". Once I started transitioning though, it became obvious that it was the correct decision.

Alchemy

Definitely. It took me a while to go from "I'm trans" to "I'm going to transition". Once I started transitioning though, it became obvious that it was the correct decision.

For me it was kind of the opposite, it took me a really long time to accept myself as trans but once I did I got super impatient with transitioning. The wait for the doctor is driving me crazy.

Sibylus

Banned
A little switch in my head flipped from "afraid" to "not afraid", and suddenly I came out to everyone I know on Facebook.

CHAOS REIGNS

antichrist.png

EmiPrime

The most recent example of Dawkins being a dick makes me really uncomfortable given certain crap media feminists will not so innocently bring up eugenics as justification to eliminate trans people.

tumblr_n15vghNuL91qbkli6o1_1280.jpg

Having other people debate on your right to existence like it's a fantastic intellectual exercise is gross. Fuck this planet.

Platy

I am totaly in favor that a person abort whatever he or she chooses to abort. It is his or her body ... so nobody else has to choose.

But should not be based on bullying like discrimination.

Sadly, as science evolves we will get closer to those things .... but I hope science is favorable to "so your kid has down .... take this pill 2 times a week and it will be 'cured' " instead of the pregnant person deciding to abort

Amalthea

Banned
Yeah, abortions a question on having kids or not.

If you want kids you have eventually to deal with problems. Like what if you abort a fetus with down syndrome but the healty child gets not enough oxygen during delivery and becomes even more disabled? Care for it? The parents already sacrificed another child because it was not "good enough".

It's also telling how DS is always the main argument for this eugenic crap. People who have it mainly look different and are mentaĺly less capable. Is that really a reason to disallow a person to live? This is not some disease where the patient suffers from intense pain or a cripling condition all their live.

In fact it's just that people are just huge assholes against DS people and in that way the argument is not far from any other group that society doesn't like.

Beth Cyra

Well the parents found out.

Was disowned, written out the will and threatened to stay away. So that was interesting.....

Thankfully I got so much extra support it I can handle the rejection but the threats and having god shoved down my throat to disown me is a bit of a bitter pills.

Still everything else has been great. I went to Olive garden for the first time for a nice sit down din we with my wife in a fancy dress,Heather says she's never seen me happier,and the waiter was a total doll, and really helped me feel like a proper lady.

Kinsei

Banned

Was disowned, written out the will and threatened to stay away. So that was interesting.....

Thankfully I got so much extra support it I can handle the rejection but the threats and having god shoved down my throat to disown me is a bit of a bitter pills.

Still everything else has been great. I went to Olive garden for the first time for a nice sit down din we with my wife in a fancy dress,Heather says she's never seen me happier,and the waiter was a total doll, and really helped me feel like a proper lady.

Do you think they would actually go through with their threats? If not, I say fuck'em. You have a wonderful wife, and in-laws. People choose their real families and it seems like you've chosen some amazing people.

Beth Cyra

Do you think they would actually go through with their threats? If not, I say fuck'em. You have a wonderful wife, and in-laws. People choose their real families and it seems like you've chosen some amazing people.
More amazing then I deserve that is for sure.

As far as threats and follow through, they badgered my Grandma (father's mother) to the point she called me crying and asked me not to go to her house so people won't see me as it can look bad for my father.......so yeah I could see them calling the cops on me or something or worse ir I try to go near grandma.

Alchemy

More amazing then I deserve that is for sure.

As far as threats and follow through, they badgered my Grandma (father's mother) to the point she called me crying and asked me not to go to her house so people won't see me as it can look bad for my father.......so yeah I could see them calling the cops on me or something or worse ir I try to go near grandma.

Geez, those are some miserable people. Just enjoy the people who are supportive and move on I guess. Doesn't seem like you need to put up with the toxic relationship. Just focus on the happy people :)

Anura

I thank my lucky stars everyday for my parents after hearing such heartbreaking stories... They sound absolutely wretched and you clearly have better people who you can call family now

Beth Cyra

Thank you both, and you're most certainly right that I have wonderful people in my life.

I think it's telling looking back at the week I just smile over my date with my wife and how happy it made me other then dwelling on the behavior of those people.

Still thanks for letting me share everyone. It really is amazing how many caring people I've met in this community, both on Gaf and not.

I've been doing some internal thinking for a little bit now and I was having doubts over whether or not I was even transgender or not, but I've come to a realization.

I am transgender, but like, I don't want any surgery down there. I still desire to start HRT, but in all honestly, what's in my pants doesn't bother me.

Anastasia

I've been doing some internal thinking for a little bit now and I was having doubts over whether or not I was even transgender or not, but I've come to a realization.

I am transgender, but like, I don't want any surgery down there. I still desire to start HRT, but in all honestly, what's in my pants doesn't bother me.

A lot of people choose not to have bottom surgery, either because they don't feel like they need it or because it's inaccessible. I really don't know what I want in that regard. Sometimes I feel like I really want SRS, but then other times I'm fine with having a penis. I think that one doubt alone, however, is enough to keep me from getting SRS; I wouldn't go through with that surgery unless I was absolutely sure it was what I needed.

Alchemy

This is how it is for me. The genitals aren't my problem, everything else is. Really the only thing that bothers me below the waist right now is having a bulge, but I can get over that if I learn to tuck.

SRS is a huge (and expensive) surgery, and it scares the bejesus out of me. Not prepared to go through that just to get rid of my bulge.

I want it gone, but it's kinda low priority compared to stuff like FFS. Like as much as I dislike down there I can ignore it easily enough so if I decide I want/need FFS that's kinda more important since it's more apparent/visible.

Awesome, Box of Bunnies. Great to read that you got back a supportive response.

Thanks. I figured mum would be fine unless she happened upon some "nope, too late, you missed your chance" attitude. Unsure on dad but I figure he'll be "I don't really get it but whatever you need." My brother will probably be pretty chill. It's my sister I'm worried about since I don't really have a read on how she'll take it and if she reacts poorly it will affect my relationship with my nieces and not only would that cut me up it'd be unfair to them.

Sucks about your parents but it's great that you've got a fantastic support network elsewhere :)

Reishiki

Banned
I came out to my maternal grandparents over the bank holiday weekend. I was visiting them ahead of my great-nan's funeral (which I didn't want to go to, she was a great woman, don't get me wrong, but I'm not a fan of big family gatherings right now...) and my grandpa pressed me for reasons, if only so I didn't regret missing a chance to say goodbye to her, so I told them everything, under strict orders not to tell my dearest mother that I spilled the beans 'early'.

Their response, paraphrased: "lol k, let us know when you're getting married to your partner, we still want an invite"

I didn't really know how to react.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Good for you but I got the willies for my willy.

Off with that shit.

I had dreams about getting rid of mine, and that was before I even knew 100% what it was for.

I mean, consciously I'm a little ambivalent, but clearly my subconscious has her own opinion on the matter.

Amalthea

Banned
I had dreams about getting rid of mine, and that was before I even knew 100% what it was for.

I mean, consciously I'm a little ambivalent, but clearly my subconscious has her own opinion on the matter.
At what age was it?
I had a dream at about 3 years old that I had a vagina. Like even feeling it. And I had the impression that I had a vagina beforehand, like just one day when I didn't notice it got replaced with a penis and scrotum. Those are some of my earliest conscious memories.

Beth Cyra

Good for you but I got the willies for my willy.

Off with that shit.

This is me as well.

However in my case I pretty much despise that area, nasty disgusting place that I wish didn't exist. I mean I have three wonderful children so some small part of me is happy I had it, but my over all dislike for it makes it really hard sometimes.

I want it gone, but it's kinda low priority compared to stuff like FFS. Like as much as I dislike down there I can ignore it easily enough so if I decide I want/need FFS that's kinda more important since it's more apparent/visible.

Thanks. I figured mum would be fine unless she happened upon some "nope, too late, you missed your chance" attitude. Unsure on dad but I figure he'll be "I don't really get it but whatever you need." My brother will probably be pretty chill. It's my sister I'm worried about since I don't really have a read on how she'll take it and if she reacts poorly it will affect my relationship with my nieces and not only would that cut me up it'd be unfair to them.

Sucks about your parents but it's great that you've got a fantastic support network elsewhere :)
Thanks for the kind words Box, and Im also at this stage too where Bottom Surgery is certainly in my mind, but I also need to balance that with Electrolysis and some other smaller surgeries so the money adds up very fast.

ngower

Hi Transgaf. Forgive me if this sounds rude or if I'm crossing/disrespecting boundaries, but I'm trying to become a bit more learned and am genuinely asking for some advice here. I (gay cis male) may be sleeping with a trans woman (has had top surgery to add breasts, bottom remains bio/cis). I wonder if there are any do's or don'ts as far as touching, talking, etc that you think are generally safe bets (in other words what to do and what not to do)? I'm aware that open communication is the key here, but I just want to know some of your personal experiences and advice you'd give to someone in my shoes? Because, let's be real, I've never slept with a woman or a trans person so this is two entirely new sexual territories I'm entering into at the same time, and I just want to remain sensitive to their needs so it's enjoyable for everyone.

Beth Cyra

Hi Transgaf. Forgive me if this sounds rude or if I'm crossing/disrespecting boundaries, but I'm trying to become a bit more learned and am genuinely asking for some advice here. I (gay cis male) may be sleeping with a trans woman (has had top surgery to add breasts, bottom remains bio/cis). I wonder if there are any do's or don'ts as far as touching, talking, etc that you think are generally safe bets (in other words what to do and what not to do)? I'm aware that open communication is the key here, but I just want to know some of your personal experiences and advice you'd give to someone in my shoes? Because, let's be real, I've never slept with a woman or a trans person so this is two entirely new sexual territories I'm entering into at the same time, and I just want to remain sensitive to their needs so it's enjoyable for everyone.

I personally don't think it's being disrespectful to want to try to avoid doing something you're partner wouldn't want.

As far as an opinion Im not really at a place I can fully say, aside from this one being just a need to discuss it with her.

As I mentioned earlier on this page I really dislike that area, and my wife had to sit down and talk it out because I just didn't want her ever really touching it because I felt like I was violating her given my distaste for it.

However I've met several TG Women who really have come to terms with having a penis and don't have nearly the issues I do.

If anything I would say stick to soft touches and just let her hands and words guide you. Even if she doesn't vocalize it, pay attention to her body language and if she isn't encouraging it then stay away from that area.

Still the best way is to just ask her.

Amalthea

Banned
I've seen your question in the other thread but I noticed something funny and weird:
Has anyone here ever slept with a trans person? Be they pre/in/post-op, the gender you are into or the opposite gender (or transitioning), etc?

What sick psycho would have sex with somebody in OP. Like right during surgery.

;P

mollipen

Just thought I'd show off some of the fun trans-related stuff we're going to have at our Press XY Diversity Lounge table at PAX Prime '14. At PAX East, we did a take on Cards Against Humanity called "Trans Against Insanity", and this time, we got both our old and new cards professionally printed so that they can directly be used when playing CAH.

Then, I made up pronoun buttons that we'll also have available at our booth.

I've seen your question in the other thread but I noticed something funny and weird:

What sick psycho would have sex with somebody in OP. Like right during surgery.

;P

Oh ewwwww! :| There's probably someone out there who'd fap to that.

Just thought I'd show off some of the fun trans-related stuff we're going to have at our Press XY Diversity Lounge table at PAX Prime '14. At PAX East, we did a take on Cards Against Humanity called "Trans Against Insanity", and this time, we got both our old and new cards professionally printed so that they can directly be used when playing CAH.

That's so cool! I wish I could be attending this year.

Platy

Be carrefull and ask her, only way to be sure ... also :

Hi Transgaf. Forgive me if this sounds rude or if I'm crossing/disrespecting boundaries, but I'm trying to become a bit more learned and am genuinely asking for some advice here. I (gay bi cis male) may be sleeping with a trans woman (has had top surgery to add breasts, bottom remains bio/cis pre-op). I wonder if there are any do's or don'ts as far as touching, talking, etc that you think are generally safe bets (in other words what to do and what not to do)?

Anastasia

Those look really cool!

Also is that a Poison reference I see in one of the cards (lower left)?

iirate

Be carrefull and ask her, only way to be sure ... also :

There's nothing wrong with identifying as gay rather than bi and sleeping with or dating a woman. Sexuality can be complicated and sometimes people find exceptions to their preferences - it doesn't have to shape their identity if they don't want it to.

Alchemy

Those look pretty neat, too bad I'm working all PAX -.-. Freaking convention stubble already starting to bother me. Need a shave >.<

Amalthea

Banned
I found this in the positive female roles in gaming thread.

It's about Kotori Yoshimura a transgender developer.

Forgot to mention she has a decent following and professional bio on Google+. She knows a ton of assembly languages for different chips!

Kotori unfortunately suffers from narcolepsy, which she was diagnosed with a short time before her re-orientation.

The narcolepsy (an illness were you suddenly fall asleep all the time) part is interesting personally since during my worst phase of gender-dysphoria I also got narcolepsy. I couldn't bear suffering trough life so much that I just couldn't stay awake anymore.

Has anybody else had this too?

Dash_

During my worst moments I'd use sleep as a way to escape. It didn't help that my anti-depressants at the time knocked me for six, so I'd often use them as a cruch when I felt extremely dysphoric to ignore everything around me.

Sibylus

Banned
I don't know if I would call it narcolepsy, but I did consciously choose to sleep a lot to escape really grievous pain. New medication is helping with that.

Amalthea

Banned
No, I mean like you get in such an agony that you basically black-out. Sometimes I instantly woke up like when you sleep and you imagine that you are falling. Or then I would hit my head on the desk or on the pen I was holding in my hand.

Worst thing is during those short black-outs I almost always had short flashes of me as a happy woman

Well now, I am at that point but back then 10 years ago I almost spent every day either having mental breakdowns and/or black-outs.

Top Bottom