• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgaf: 'cause boys will be girls (and vice versa)

Reishiki

Banned
Congratulations!

Can I join the good news train?

I requested a letter/email from my clinic ahead of arranging a meeting with my company's HR person, which included this snippet:

I am happy to confirm that Alice ( as I refer to her) has attended three pre-medical assessment sessions at this clinic and is now awaiting a meeting with one of our medical consultants with a view to confirming a very likely diagnosis of Gender Identity Disorder with Male-to-Female Transexualism and Gender Dysphoria.

Alchemy

Thanks everyone, my brain is still full of "I DONT BELIEVE ANYTHING IS REAL". Very giddy though :)

Congratulations!

I requested a letter/email from my clinic ahead of arranging a meeting with my company's HR person, which included this snippet:

Woo!

Dai101

Banned
Congratulations!

WOO!! More news, Saaaalud!!

FJFP49v.jpg

Bring out the confetti!

So National Coming Out Day is this Saturday. I know that, if left to my own devices, I'd keep putting it off until I was presenting female so I'm using this convenient fixed date that I can hold myself to to come out to my father and siblings.

Have already written the letter, just need to actually give it to them when the day comes.

Alchemy

So National Coming Out Day is this Saturday. I know that, if left to my own devices, I'd keep putting it off until I was presenting female so I'm using this convenient fixed date that I can hold myself to to come out to my father and siblings.

Have already written the letter, just need to actually give it to them when the day comes.

You have more guts then I do. My in-laws are coming down here to go to Disneyland for the weekend and we'll all be going together. Perfect excuse to come out but there is no way I can muster the courage to do it right now.

EmiPrime

Does it really need to be explained why a marginalised group that suffers massively from long term unemployment and unstable housing and homelessness issues feel put out by some comedian doing a "lol sex change lol, now I woman with penis I make more money" joke to make a point regarding equal pay? That it's turning the lives of trans women into a joke and throwing them under the bus just to make a ham fisted point?

Yes apparently and even then someone will still tell you to get a thicker skin. Just a heads up folks.

Does it really need to be explained why a marginalised group that suffers massively from long term unemployment and unstable housing and homelessness issues feel put out by some comedian doing a "lol sex change lol, now I woman with penis I make more money" joke to make a point regarding equal pay? That it's turning the lives of trans women into a joke and throwing them under the bus just to make a ham fisted point?

Yes apparently and even then someone will still tell you to get a thicker skin. Just a heads up folks.

Stuff like that is why I never even bother reading or posting in threads like that. :\

Beth Cyra

Bo, Anura,Box of Bunnies, Dai101, The Batman, Kinsei, EmiPrime and Alchemy thank you!!!

I'm so glad I joined the thread, your all wonderful people.

And I agree we need a.other T/E score next week.

even then someone will still tell you to get a thicker skin.

That's the most offensive part of the whole thing to me. People just saying "well it doesn't offend me personally and I lack the perspective to understand why it might bother others so you're all big babies that should just suck it up."

Stuff like that is why I never even bother reading or posting in threads like that. :

That's the way I usually handle it

So a big milestone for me.

HRT was approved ed and I took my first E pill today yay!!!!

Hurray~

Anura

That's the most offensive part of the whole thing to me. People just saying "well it doesn't offend me personally and I lack the perspective to understand why it might bother others so you're all big babies that should just suck it up."
Yeah, same. I didn't mind the add at all but the "thick skin" stuff is just aggravating. I'm crazy easy going and not much offends me but even that doesn't mean I "thicker skin" than others. I usually just end up ignoring that kind of stuff... Not worth it IMO

mollipen

I'd never heard of it before I happened upon discussion on the topic, but the webcomic Questionable Content's current story arc is the main character starting what seems to be a relationship with one of the minor characters who is trans. The particular event started about a week and a half ago comic-wise, and I have a special place in my heart for it because the trans character in question is a glasses-wearing redhead. *heh*

Also, the creator—who, to the best of my knowledge, has no direct connection to the trans community—had this to say about a particular question he's been getting about the character, Claire:

clairespants.png

EmiPrime

Stand back folks, i'm an ALLY.

If you need to know my opinion about what's offensive on matters that have nothing to do with me then just let me know because my views on things that are only relevant to you are just as important as yours.

Five

Banned

If you need to know my opinion about what's offensive on matters that have nothing to do with me then just let me know because my views on things that are only relevant to you are just as important as yours.

That's not what I said. Kindly vent somewhere I can't see it and don't misrepresent me ever again.

Reishiki

Banned

I fail to see how this is in any way useful.

Yup. That other thread is still up and running - absolutely no reason to bring arguments that should be over there into here.

More that the other thread crashed leaving the station and is still smoldering. My being a smartass aside, I agree this isn't the kind of thing to bring over here.

Hello! Long-time lurker here.

I think I started following this thread about 3 years ago? Wow, it feels shorter than that.

Anyway, I'm currently transitioning to female, and am now 6 months into my therapist visits and 4 months into HRT, and I'm presenting full-time. I've already come out to my family, my friends, and everyone I know on Facebook earlier this year, as well as a good chunk of people I only know on the internet.

Every single one of them was cool with it.

This is the type of reaction I wish everyone who wants to transition received. Unanimous acceptance is something everyone deserves to have.

Anura

I think I started following this thread about 3 years ago? Wow, it feels shorter than that.

Anyway, I'm currently transitioning to female, and am now 6 months into my therapist visits and 4 months into HRT, and I'm presenting full-time. I've already come out to my family, my friends, and everyone I know on Facebook earlier this year, as well as a good chunk of people I only know on the internet.

This is the type of reaction I wish everyone who wants to transition received. Unanimous acceptance is something everyone deserves to have.

Hey that's awesome! Grats to you too

Dai101

Banned

Confetti time? CONFETTI TIME!!

Also, this round is on me

ub7CL1o.jpg

Cheers!!

Welp, messages sent to my father, brother and sister. That's one doodle that can't be undid.

e: got a lovely response from sister

e2: dad's response was supportive if not a little iffy in some of his language, brother was just like "so what name do you want me to call you?" when I got home and then I napped for three hours and then we played some Smash Bros. so I think he's cool

Hiya

Reishiki

Banned
Customer Services Manager informed as of Wednesday this week. Both her and HR are willing to follow my lead with regards to coming out at work once the diagnosis is handed down.

I've also started getting my deed poll documentation sorted as part of formally changing my name.

Beth Cyra

Same. Great news Beth. : )

Thanks Dash and Sarah, sorry I didn't say so before, this week at work was crazy, got a promotion though so I can't complain.

Also started a second medication, this one for the thinning of body hair so that combined with E is really awesome.

Welcome!

Customer Services Manager informed as of Wednesday this week. Both her and HR are willing to follow my lead with regards to coming out at work once the diagnosis is handed down.

I've also started getting my deed poll documentation sorted as part of formally changing my name.

Thats great, I hope the name change goes smoothly. Im working on getting the name and gender change right now.

Hi, it's my first time posting here, I have a friend(born male) that is taking hormones, and would undergo surgery some time in the future(most likely, but her dad is still iffy about it), she has some suicidal thoughts from time to time, how can I help her?

Beth Cyra

Hi, it's my first time posting here, I have a friend(born male) that is taking hormones, and would undergo surgery some time in the future(most likely, but her dad is still iffy about it), she has some suicidal thoughts from time to time, how can I help her?

I would say make sure she can vent and feel safe with you.

As it stands though it she could need any number of things, have you perchance suggested a therapist? Someone that won't judge her and try to help her through this hard time?

Sadly I had a pretty negative experience today.

Heather took me to the bra shop she's used for years so we could measure me and get some ideas on the size I'd like to be.

Well when I walked in she said she couldn't help me and said she'd refer me to the owner/manager but then the manager wouldn't talk to me.

Then they told me I wasn't allowed try anything on and I could only flat buy stuff and I couldn't return anything.

Heather got mad and asked why since she's always been able to and they looked at me and said women are allowed to and men are not :(

Gotta say that hurt pretty bad.

Just reminding people again that a new public IRC chat room exists.

server: studio64.yi.org
channel: #transplaza

Here's a handy webchat link for people who want to take a look: http://bit.ly/1nEMtpD

(There's also a private chat as well, and you can ask for the password to that in there.)

Just reminding people of the reminder! :p

Seriously though, feel free to drop in and talk at any time.

Thats great, I hope the name change goes smoothly. Im working on getting the name and gender change right now.
I still need to get around to doing that. I have the name and number of a lawyer who can help with that, but I just keep putting that off. So right now it's either bring cash with me, or potentially deal with the awkwardness of cashiers having to see my ID or male name on my credit card.

Dash_

FFS is in less than ten days. Just been having a drunken rant to myself that no matter the effectiveness of the surgery, the best I can hope for is to come out of it looking andro, but still on the male side, just less so. This stupid head and depression...

Top Bottom