• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgaf: 'cause boys will be girls (and vice versa)

Sibylus

Banned
Best of luck with it, Dash! An anon friend just had it done herself, imagine there'll be more posts from her when she's rested up.

Reishiki

Banned
I was fretting just yesterday that I wouldn't get my clinic appointment before christmas. Then I found an appointment letter just as I was leaving for work which gave me a date of November 19th. This will be the appointment that decides my diagnosis.

I don't think I'm going to start HRT before I die, or at least that's how it feels.

I keep getting pushed back in date. Was supposed to happen at August he latest before, than got pushed back to November, and now its pushed back into who knows when in 2015.

I'm losing faith, and its getting harder and harder every day to hold myself together.

Amalthea

Banned
I don't think I'm going to start HRT before I die, or at least that's how it feels.

I keep getting pushed back in date. Was supposed to happen at August he latest before, than got pushed back to November, and now its pushed back into who knows when in 2015.

I'm losing faith, and its getting harder and harder every day to hold myself together.
Have they given you a reason? Because my docs keep doing a similiar postponing game and honestly it helped me to get my HRT by being pushy and telling them that I want stuff as soon as possible. I mean what other option do you have than just give them a lot of pressure?

Have they given you a reason? Because my docs keep doing a similiar postponing game and honestly it helped me to get my HRT by being pushy and telling them that I want stuff as soon as possible. I mean what other option do you have than just give them a lot of pressure?

I've been told that there aren't enough doctors.

On the waiting list I'm 10, and i've been told when they get enough doctors they should be seeing 3 new patients a month.

I should be more patient, but its really difficult for me to be atm.

Amalthea

Banned

On the waiting list I'm 10, and i've been told when they get enough doctors they should be seeing 3 new patients a month.

Sounds like a pretty small place.

Beth Cyra

I'm sorry for the troubles Ice, I hope that things get going for you soon.

I know that waiting can be so full of pain and your mind and body just going crazy, but it will get better and we will have the confetti waiting for you in this thread.

Meesh

I'm here because I'm trans-curious and want to be educated. I wish to salute those who have the stones to make such an impactful change in their lives, it's courageous, daring and maybe the most truthful expression of ones self next to birth I can imagine. To change who you are to be who you are meant to be is a beautiful struggle indeed.

Beth Cyra

I'm here because I'm trans-curious and want to be educated. I wish to salute those who have the stones to make such an impactful change in their lives, it's courageous, daring and maybe the most truthful expression of ones self next to birth I can imagine. To change who you are to be who you are meant to be is a beautiful struggle indeed.

Hmm, I think that is true and really beautiful for alot of people.

For me though, very little of that was the case. I was destroying myself both physically and mentally and it was to the point I had my wife pushing me towards it because she knew who I was.

So my trip to Beth was much less about strength and expression, and more about me having no other choice with out going to a really dark place.

Meesh

Hmm, I think that is true and really beautiful for alot of people.

For me though, very little of that was the case. I was destroying myself both physically and mentally and it was to the point I had my wife pushing me towards it because she knew who I was.

So my trip to Beth was much less about strength and expression, and more about me having no other choice with out going to a really dark place.
I'm really sorry to hear that. I can't say I completely understand, though I wish I did, but the first thing that came to my mind(which is something I tell myself often) is that sometimes from the greatest adversity or struggle is born the most inspirational and profound people. I believe you when you say you've had to go to a dark place, some of us do for different reasons, but in the end I sincerely believe this makes you a more sincere, empathetic and true person than most. I guess I want to say the dark places make us that much brighter?

Can I ask if you've been able to completely change or are you still in the process?

Beth Cyra

I'm really sorry to hear that. I can't say I completely understand, though I wish I did, but the first thing that came to my mind(which is something I tell myself often) is that sometimes from the greatest adversity or struggle is born the most inspirational and profound people. I believe you when you say you've had to go to a dark place, some of us do for different reasons, but in the end I sincerely believe this makes you a more sincere, empathetic and true person than most. I guess I want to say the dark places make us that much brighter?

Can I ask if you've been able to completely change or are you still in the process?

Of course you can ask.

I am currently taking HRT and because of my recent Health Care upgrade from my Job, it will cover 25k worth of Transgender surgeries so I'm in the process of setting up to get my top surgery done.

I will likely be on a waiting list for a few months, but given it's a co-pay I got lucky and many doctors will take where as many wont for Obama and State care.

And thank you for the kind words, its still a very interesting thing, but one thing I can say is I would never go back to being "Max", that is something I never wanted and now that I'm free of it, even the dark moments is much better then most of the few happy moments I had back then.

So yesterday was the best birthday I've had in, well, ever (or at least since the one where I got the Dragonzord when I was seven or eight or whatever)

IN3AieQ.png

Meesh

Of course you can ask.

I am currently taking HRT and because of my recent Health Care upgrade from my Job, it will cover 25k worth of Transgender surgeries so I'm in the process of setting up to get my top surgery done.

I will likely be on a waiting list for a few months, but given it's a co-pay I got lucky and many doctors will take where as many wont for Obama and State care.

And thank you for the kind words, its still a very interesting thing, but one thing I can say is I would never go back to being "Max", that is something I never wanted and now that I'm free of it, even the dark moments is much better then most of the few happy moments I had back then.
That's fantastic, I didn't even know Transgender surgeries were covered or partly covered on any plan, that's a bit of a blessing. It's interesting you mentioned being "Max", being anything other than Beth was something I honestly didn't (or couldn't)really envision when talking to you, at least that's the perspective I had from where I'm sitting. Best wishes in your future and I hope the surgeries go well. 😊

Alchemy

Just reminding people again that a new public IRC chat room exists.

server: studio64.yi.org
channel: #transplaza

Here's a handy webchat link for people who want to take a look: http://bit.ly/1nEMtpD

(There's also a private chat as well, and you can ask for the password to that in there.)

Is the IRC channel down or something? I'm not able to load into #transplaza.

mollipen

Once of the things I've really come to learn is that nothing happens as fast as you hope/want/expect. It wasn't until almost five years after I came out as being trans that I started hormones, and so far, the effects haven't set in nearly as fast as I thought they might. I'm a year and a half into electrolysis—longer than I though I was going to have to do it, and yet I'm not sure if I'll be done once I hit the two year mark.

It's tough, but the best thing you can learn is that you're just going to have to be patient with the process. Of course, there's a difference between understanding that as part of the natural course of things, and being in a situation where your progress is hampered by outside forces, which is what you seem to be having to put up with.

Still, though, I think one of the most important parts of the process is making yourself stronger mentally, and not having X date be the goal for your happiness. Every single progress market I set up for myself failed, and if I used those as what kept me going, I'd be an emotional wreck right now. The biggest change to your life, and the biggest contributor to your happiness, is going to be you—not HRT, not doctor's visits, no clothes, not hair styles, not anything else. Those are wonderful little bonuses along the way, but there's a huge amount of danger in seeing them as the things that will make your life better.

So, I know the feelings you're going through, because I (and many) have been there. Just be careful to not put too much of your emotional and mental well-being upon the start of HRT—if, for no other reason, to avoid that point of being on it for months and wondering why you still feel the exact same way when you were promised huge mood swings and crying fits every other day. *heh*

HGStormy

Banned
I just wanted to pop in here to say that you're all amazing and awesome and I can't imagine the strength and courage it takes to open up and become who you really are like that.
I wish all of you the utmost happiness in life <3

Beth Cyra

I just wanted to pop in here to say that you're all amazing and awesome and I can't imagine the strength and courage it takes to open up and become who you really are like that.
Thanks, posts like this really make my day.

I've been lucky with the amount of support I've got and I know there are others who truly need these words so it really touches my heart when I see people offer this up to those who need that love.

HGStormy

Banned
Thanks for the encouragement, Stormy :)

Thanks, posts like this really make my day.

I've been lucky with the amount of support I've got and I know there are others who truly need these words so it really touches my heart when I see people offer this up to those who need that love.

You're all seriously great. I have an enormous amount of respect for people who embrace who they really are, it's hard enough without feeling like you're in the wrong body. I've seen a lot of you post elsewhere on GAF, but I've never posted in here because I don't really fit in here.

I hope you all have a wonderful week. Keep being awesome. You're all beautiful on the inside and the outside <3

Anura

Always great to hear words like that! I don't think I'm assuming too much when I say that it makes all of our days.

Malvolio

Just had an employee come to me and announce that he is beginning his transition. He is concerned about how people will treat him from now on to the point where he feels like finding a new employer might be in his best interest. I assured him that I will do everything I can to help ease his transition professionally and that I'll be there to hear his concerns and do what I can to educate those that might not fully understand what he is going through.

I wanted to thank those of you that have been kind enough to share your experiences as I felt very prepared to talk with him openly. I felt his face showed a bit of surprise and then relaxation when he asked if I was aware of what gender dysphoria is and I responded that I was. He is a great employee and a fantastic person and it would be unfortunate if we were to lose him based on co-worker ignorance.

Just had an employee come to me and announce that he is beginning his transition. He is concerned about how people will treat him from now on to the point where he feels like finding a new employer might be in his best interest. I assured him that I will do everything I can to help ease his transition professionally and that I'll be there to hear his concerns and do what I can to educate those that might not fully understand what he is going through.

I wanted to thank those of you that have been kind enough to share your experiences as I felt very prepared to talk with him openly. I felt his face showed a bit of surprise and then relaxation when he asked if I was aware of what gender dysphoria is and I responded that I was. He is a great employee and a fantastic person and it would be unfortunate if we were to lose him based on co-worker ignorance.

Pat yourself on the back for being an awesome person and boss :)

Beth Cyra

That is really amazing.

You are a really amazing person I'm so happy that they had that in their lives, and that you where there for them.

Dai101

Banned

Awesome. There needs to be more people like you in this world.

Cheers!!

Q6MRkyt.jpg

(it's been a while. Where's the confetti at?)

Zombine

Banned
Hey everyone! I just wanted to pop in quick show all of you my support and love and enthusiasm for each and every person here who has transioned, is transitioning, and wherever any of you are in your lives.

I don't have a whole lot to add to the conversation, but just know that there is one more person in the world who just wants everyone to feel like they're awesome!

Anastasia

You are awesome.

You are awesome.

Hey everyone! I just wanted to pop in quick show all of you my support and love and enthusiasm for each and every person here who has transioned, is transitioning, and wherever any of you are in your lives.

I don't have a whole lot to add to the conversation, but just know that there is one more person in the world who just wants everyone to feel like they're awesome!

You are awesome.

(it's been a while. Where's the confetti at?)

I have been out of commission lately because of my health, so I haven't been able to shower this thread in confetti. But allow me to change that.

*throws confetti everywhere*

HGStormy

Banned
*throws confetti everywhere*

Hey, you're pretty awesome yourself!
It's kind of heartwarming to see the amount of amazing, helpful people in this thread. You're an inspiration to us all. (Especially after seeing some of the posts in certain threads that will not go named..) Please keep being awesome <3
I hope your health gets better soon. Best of wishes to all of you.

So a person I know via high school is trans as well, but they say they want to go through surgery and skip hormone because they feel that it wouldnt make her happy. (Taking the hormones that is)

I don't really know how to reply to that, what would you say?

I already tried to tell her that it won't make you nearly as happy if you were to just go through with surgery, but that's just my opinion.

Should I just let them go through with surgeries and skip the hormones?

Anastasia

So a person I know via high school is trans as well, but they say they want to go through surgery and skip hormone because they feel that it wouldnt make her happy. (Taking the hormones that is)

I don't really know how to reply to that, what would you say?

I already tried to tell her that it won't make you nearly as happy if you were to just go through with surgery, but that's just my opinion.

Should I just let them go through with surgeries and skip the hormones?

I don't know how long your friend has been transitioning for, what she looks like, what her financial situation is, etc., but I think everyone should do what is most comfortable for them and their transition. If she feels hormones wouldn't be the right choice for her, then that's her call (even if it's arguably a more unconventional one). In other words, if she's really thought about this and has decided that is what would make her happy, then you just have to respect that. But I can see and understand the other viewpoints to something like this.

Edit: Assuming she is talking about SRS, I think she would have to take hormones anyway after the procedure, but I'm not 100% sure about that. And for that I think most surgeons either prefer or require you to have been doing HRT. For stuff like FFS, it's recommended to wait a bit for hormones to take effect because of how it can affect the face, but it's not necessarily a requirement.

Hey, you're pretty awesome yourself!
It's kind of heartwarming to see the amount of amazing, helpful people in this thread. You're an inspiration to us all. (Especially after seeing some of the posts in certain threads that will not go named..) Please keep being awesome <3
I hope your health gets better soon. Best of wishes to all of you.

Thank you! I recently made some changes to my diet and I'm starting to feel a lot better. I'm still not perfect though. I really appreciate all the kind words. ^^

I don't know how long your friend has been transitioning for, what she looks like, what her financial situation is, etc., but I think everyone should do what is most comfortable for them and their transition. If she feels hormones wouldn't be the right choice for her, then that's her call (even if it's arguably a more unconventional one). In other words, if she's really thought about this and has decided that is what would make her happy, then you just have to respect that. But I can see and understand the other viewpoints to something like this.

Edit: Assuming she is talking about SRS, I think she would have to take hormones anyway after the procedure, but I'm not 100% sure about that. And for that I think most surgeons either prefer or require you to have been doing HRT. For stuff like FFS, it's recommended to wait a bit for hormones to take effect because of how it can affect the face, but it's not necessarily a requirement.

Thank you! I recently made some changes to my diet and I'm starting to feel a lot better. I'm still not perfect though. I really appreciate all the kind words. ^^

Transition is by far a very individual experience for sure and for some people hormones are completely optional or flat out not required or wanted. It really is all about what makes one comfortable with oneself :)

Kathryn has it right, most surgeons will not do SRS unless you've been on hormones for *some* period of time, varying a bit depending on surgeon so it might be hard to find one willing to do it on someone who's never taken or has no intentions of taking hormones.

Platy

Surgery without hormones means an infinite menopause.
She will have osteoporosis at best, since she will not produce any sexual hormone and they are pretty important for bone density

Also, that sounds like people who saw too much tv and think transition is a "suddenly hot girl" thing =P

mollipen

To some degree, people should be allowed to do whatever they want, but if your friend hasn't talked to doctors and professionals about all of this, they're being hugely irresponsible and immature. Make sure they understand that. The problem isn't wanting what you want, but actively pursuing those things without having talked to people who actually know what they're doing.

It's like the "self-diagoqnises" stuff you see around, including being trans. Yes, you know what's going on with your mind and your body, but you also aren't nearly as smart as you think you are. Talking to professionals should always be one step of the process. For me, my understanding of what I was going through wasn't anywhere near as clear when I started all of this as it was after I'd gotten help from professionals.

I swore I'd never transition. That was something I was adamant about, and told my psychologist that the first day I met him. Whoops.

Alchemy

So I've started researching some laser hair removal stuff, I want to get started on it early 2015 after some of the holiday madness has passed. Is there anything I should be aware of when looking for places to do the hair removal? I have a lot of options being in the LA area, but all I know so far is the full face is considered a "medium" sized area.

EmiPrime

So I've started researching some laser hair removal stuff, I want to get started on it early 2015 after some of the holiday madness has passed. Is there anything I should be aware of when looking for places to do the hair removal? I have a lot of options being in the LA area, but all I know so far is the full face is considered a "medium" sized area.

What machine they use, special offers, experience of their technicians, your skin colour, aftercare, loyalty cards, interval between treatments (should be around 6 weeks). Word of mouth is your friend here too.

If you hear buzz words like "pain free" and "permanent" (as opposed to reduction) they're not being honest with you. It's unlikely you'll be screaming in pain or anything (they should be ramping up the strength session on session based on your skin's reaction and your pain tolerance) but it's not pleasant and as for results they can't possibly know ahead of time.

lexi

Banned
What machine they use, special offers, experience of their technicians, your skin colour, aftercare, loyalty cards, interval between treatments (should be around 6 weeks). Word of mouth is your friend here too.

If you hear buzz words like "pain free" and "permanent" (as opposed to reduction) they're not being honest with you. It's unlikely you'll be screaming in pain or anything (they should be ramping up the strength session on session based on your skin's reaction and your pain tolerance) but it's not pleasant and as for results they can't possibly know ahead of time.

Laser is virtually pain free™

They always use virtually.

As a cis male, would it be offensive to dress up as female fictional characters? I don't know if doing something like that for fun (just as a "hey, look at me, I'm dressed as girl, it's cool to throw away boundaries" not in any hateful sense) would be making light of the issues of trans women. I hope asking this isn't too off-topic or insensitive.

mollipen

Personally, I'd never be offended by that, and I don't really think most trans people would be either. I mean, cross dressing is a part of society that's covered by the "transgender" umbrella, and typically they're people who do it because it's something that they enjoy, not necessarily because that's how they identify.

Really, the only time I get offended is when I see guys doing the tired "haha I'm fat hairy Sailor Moon!" or whatever. *heh*

I can only speak for myself, but I always suppose guys dressing up in cute girly clothing!

Top Bottom