• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgaf: 'cause boys will be girls (and vice versa)

I will largely mirror what Shidoshi and Platy said. In general it's fine if you're treating as "Even being male, I shouldn't be restricted to male characters, so I won't be". The offense for me happens when it's a joke ("Haha, I'm a guy dressing a lady! Look how ridiculous I am!") or if it's being used as a sort of gotcha ("Haha! I was really a guy all along! Fooled you!"). I'm also made uncomfortable if it's treated as a sort of drag rather than a more traditional cosplay.

You don't realise how much you appreciated pockets until two thirds of the pants you wear no longer have them.

As a cis male, would it be offensive to dress up as female fictional characters? I don't know if doing something like that for fun (just as a "hey, look at me, I'm dressed as girl, it's cool to throw away boundaries" not in any hateful sense) would be making light of the issues of trans women. I hope asking this isn't too off-topic or insensitive.

I don't think crossplay is offensive or insensitive or whatever. The problem is more when ignorant outside observers conflate that kind of stuff, or something like drag shows, with us and act like medically transitioning women are just guys in dresses. The action itself is fine.

mollipen

You don't realise how much you appreciated pockets until two thirds of the pants you wear no longer have them.

On the other side of that, though, you definitely don't realize how much you appreciate having a purse until you're going somewhere without one.

I am, however, the type that always carries a lot of "just in case" stuff with them.

Platy

But, so then, would he not be able to cosplay as Bridget?

Would totaly cosplay as bridget ... if he actualy does some bridget roleplay and remmeber that he actualy WANTS TO BE MANLY and it is the WHOLE POINT of him fighting that he wants to be THE heterosexual alpha male =P

On the other side of that, though, you definitely don't realize how much you appreciate having a purse until you're going somewhere without one.

I am, however, the type that always carries a lot of "just in case" stuff with them.

I have no idea how I lived without a purse or how most men live without some sort of bag.

Dai101

Banned
I have no idea how I lived without a purse or how most men live without some sort of bag.

I don't know how you women can cram so much stuff inside those bags. I mean, is like a bag from a cartoon, i swear you can put a mallet in one of them and all of your belongings and still there's room for more.

I don't know how you women can cram so much stuff inside those bags. I mean, is like a bag from a cartoon, i swear you can put a mallet in one of them and all of your belongings and still there's room for more.

If all you know are pockets then the abilities of a proper shoulder bag are indistinguishable from magic.

Platy

Used bags and purses all my life ... to carry drawing tools and moleskines

The only diference is that now they are cuter and have a small Kermit plus atached =3

mollipen

I don't feel like I carry around that much stuff, at least looking at it all laid out. And I seem to be missing one of my Monokuma hair bands, which upsets me.

tokidoki.jpg

Anura

I don't feel like I carry around that much stuff, at least looking at it all laid out. And I seem to be missing one of my Monokuma hair bands, which upsets me.

tokidoki.jpg

I want to know a situation where a lime-green plastic triceratops would be useful. Lol

mollipen

Uhh, when is a lime-green plastic triceratops NOT useful?!

But seriously, he's my travel pal. He goes with me everywhere I do, kind of like how Yoshinori Ono always has his little toy Blanka.

dani_dc

So there's something I was wondering about.

A couple days ago my co-worker did play-testing for a game we are working at, and apparently a girl came by and complained that the survey only had "male/female" options and said we should have had "transgender" option.

The question of transgenders had crossed my mind, but I figured a FtM or a MtF would just tick their respective genre they identify with.

The idea of a sole third option for "transgenders", to me, comes across as segmenting the transgender community.

So I was wondering what's the view on this and if there's a better way for me to approach it in the future.

For reference the question was formatted in this manner:

Male [ ]
Female [ ]

mollipen

I don't know that the problem is quite what you think. A "transgender" option wouldn't necessarily be for, say, someone like me, who identifies as female, but someone who identifies as both, or neither, or something in-between.

Gender identity can be complex for some people, and just having "male" or "female" options might not cover how they feel about themselves.

Also, just so you know, "transgenders" is a word that isn't usually used. It's an adjective, not a noun or verb.

dani_dc

I don't know that the problem is quite what you think. A "transgender" option wouldn't necessarily be for, say, someone like me, who identifies as female, but someone who identifies as both, or neither, or something in-between.

Gender identity can be complex for some people, and just having "male" or "female" options might not cover how they feel about themselves.

Hm, I see, that's very true, it makes perfect sense. Thank you for the reply.

What would be an appropriate way to have the correct options to encompass everyone?

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat

What would be an appropriate way to have the correct options to encompass everyone?

An event I was at over the weekend made the gender box a text field. People could write whatever they wanted. Resulted it denormalized data, but for a ~200 person event that's not a horrible cost. (Even if everyone did enter some form of "male" or "female", except one person who was all "why the fuck are you asking?")

Some options could be "Other" (Perhaps with room for a text response. Potential issue is that this is literally "othering" non-binary folk) or maybe "Non-binary" (Again, perhaps with room for a text response). "None" may also be something you want to offer if you really want to hit everything.

My current plan is to open the gates to extended family after New Year's but last night my cousin shared this article with the comment "bravo!" on Facebook so I kinda couldn't help myself and sent her a message coming out to her. She was amazing. Favourite part of her response:

"Stay true to yourself beautiful girl - you're fucking amazing!"

For once I bring good news.

I see a doctor on December 17th!

Hooray~

Reishiki

Banned
I see the consultant psych at the clinic tomorrow morning. I'm really nervous, yet this will be the appointment where I (should) receive my formal diagnosis.

Beth Cyra

For once I bring good news.

I see a doctor on December 17th!

Congratz!!!!

I hope it goes wonderfully for you.

I see the consultant psych at the clinic tomorrow morning. I'm really nervous, yet this will be the appointment where I (should) receive my formal diagnosis.

WooT.

Don't worry, they will recognize you as you truly are then you can start the great fight with the medical side :)

Alchemy

Is there any way for someone who is underage to get on hrt and such without the aid of an adult or significant amounts of money?

I'm pretty sure if you have a legal guardian there is no way to get around having to inform them, or that it would even be a good idea depending on the situation.

mollipen

Is there any way for someone who is underage to get on hrt and such without the aid of an adult or significant amounts of money?

Not in a way that I'd ever recommend. HRT is very serious business, a step to not be taken lightly, not be taken without mature consideration, and not to be taken without proper medical care (which usually costs money).

It's probably not what the person would want to hear, but I don't know that I could ever support someone going on HRT in that situation if they're young enough to need parental consent. That's too young of an age to take a step that's that big without having a support system in place, not to mention the concerns of someone that young making that decision in the first place.

I absolutely get the urge to start down the road to becoming the real you, but the worst thing you can do is rush that decision. Doing what is needed to stop the onset of any more affects of puberty, if that's a concern? Sure, I'm okay with that. But going for full HRT is not something to be jumped into without really knowing the consequences.

SubtleTea

How would one go about acquiring puberty blockers or whatever other thing would prevent further masculine developments? Could someone acquire those without parental involvement? Also thanks for responding c:

injurai

Banned
Just wanted to drop this in, I was listening to a random old episode of this american life, and the second act is about trans men (as in female to male) and their some of their experiences in the dating scene.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/247/what-is-this-thing?act=2#play

It's from 10 years ago, so there's no social networking or anything like that, but perhaps some of their experiences will be illuminating in some way.

There was another one that talked about how drastically testosterone vs estrogen levels affect our mind. There was an interesting bit on F->M and the experience with the change in how attraction worked and how it affected self-identity.

Amalthea

Banned
How would one go about acquiring puberty blockers or whatever other thing would prevent further masculine developments? Could someone acquire those without parental involvement? Also thanks for responding c:
I went trough the same. But basically the problem is that as long as you're not an adult it might be nearly impossible to get treatment without the consent of your legal guardians. Just what everyone said already.

Ochi

Neo Member
There was another one that talked about how drastically testosterone vs estrogen levels affect our mind. There was an interesting bit on F->M and the experience with the change in how attraction worked and how it affected self-identity.

I remember that as well, but sadly do not remember the episode number or theme, but some googling might help...

Self-derp, the entire episode was based on testosterone:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/220/testosterone?act=2

Mistel

Banned
I went trough the same. But basically the problem is that as long as you're not an adult it might be nearly impossible to get treatment without the consent of your legal guardians. Just what everyone said already.
For me I couldn't even get a referral without parental consent at 16 for this.

Reishiki

Banned
To follow up my post form yesterday, I have been formally diagnosed today and will be looking to start HRT (oestrogen via patch/gel to start with) in about 6-7 weeks.

I also completed my deed poll documentation today, so I have also formally changed my name.

Top Bottom