• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgaf: 'cause boys will be girls (and vice versa)

lexi

Banned
I've posted in the post pics thread.

Here's one from earlier today.

34s4it0.jpg

Yes, they got my name wrong.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
No, no, that is your superhero name! I told you that! They only for the - to make it Lexi-E.

Alfarif said:
Daily update please!
I think I have started to notice a difference. I don't know if you could call them strong, but it's harder to ignore my emotions like I've tended to do for so long. Mind you, I never consciously intended to shut down emotionally in the first place. I think as a kid I just realized it was easier to fit in as a boy without them, and then I actually became depressed at the onset of puberty. As an aside, I think my best friend at the time might have noticed what was happening before I did. The only really mean thing he has ever done to me was one time when we were walking home from our bus stop, he randomly pushed me down the hill. I scraped both my knees on the sidewalk, and when I got up and saw I was bleeding, I just said, "Dammit!" then continued walking home to get some bandaids. I've never actually asked him why he did it, but he actually did it the next day too. I had the exact same reaction, and that's when I remember him saying, "You're so weird, you don't get angry." Anyways, now I completely forget what I was originally saying. Oh yeah, so I've basically begun to experience my emotions again. Which on one hand is awesome, because I haven't felt as happy as I have in the last couple of days for a very long time. I tend to laugh out loud and smile more often. On the other hand, I've also actually felt rather depressed at times, which I really haven't felt for several months now. It's also harder to shake things off if I get irritated. Though as a whole, I feel like it's a definite improvement. The world just seems like a better place.

Alfarif

That sounds magical. I'm not joshin' you either. It gets really wearing to have to hide all of your emotions all of the time. About the only thing that is readily available to me is anger, and I wear that one quite a lot throughout my day. It's pretty miserable to think that even when I'm at home alone, I refuse to cry at something sad because it's not what I'm "supposed to do." I really envy you ladies.

As an aside, I was at work the other day and overhead some guys talking in the cafeteria. Turns out, one of their brothers recently told the family that they were going to be transitioning. The guy talking seemed to be taking it well, referring to her by she and such. He seemed genuinely cool about the whole thing. You wouldn't know it by looking at him (pretty stereotypical middle American white guy). The guy he was talking to didn't really have much to say. I think they knew each other outside of work well enough, though, because he said something to the affect of "I always thought he had some chick in him." :lol I don't know why that made me laugh internally, but it made me think that sometimes people just seem to know and, unless the family or friends are overly religious or outright close-minded, when they're told about someone's transition, they aren't even phazed by it. Then again, ancedotal information is just that, and I just felt like sharing the story.

Edit: Looks like Cadbury Creme Eggs are getting bumped from the last of edible deliciousness this year. Better stock up, ladies.

Nikashi

Banned
lexi said:
I've posted in the post pics thread.

Here's one from earlier today.

34s4it0.jpg

Yes, they got my name wrong.

Geez Lexi, post some more pics if you're that cute! Jamie doesn't have the cute/geeky girl monopoly in here :p

Alfarif

NewGamePlus said:
Maybe she doesn't want creepy dudes using her pictures as desktop wallpapers.

:lol :lol :lol I will not explain where this thread idea came from, because I will be thrown off of GAF if I do. Besides, you really don't want to know. It's creepy.

Alfarif

:lol :lol As I just told Lexi on MSN awhile back, I'm laughing so ridiculously hard right now that my office is basically looking at me. I have no idea why I thought I should make that thread. I was almost certain it would be a disaster, but it's bringing no end to my joy at the moment.

lexi

Banned
Not especially. Had my brows done earlier, have a hair appointment tomorrow at an extremely upscale salon that I go to maybe once a year because its so expensive but soooo good.

Just coming into this thread for the first time. I just have to say "wow". I mean, I knew 'of' trans-gendered people, but I never gave it much thought before. You guys and gals have some real strength to go through what you have.

I'm just happy to see you all finding yourself comfortable in your own skin. And those of you who aren't, I hope you are soon.

lexi

Banned
So, I bought a new desk today, it was in flatpack box and it's not like, super executive or anything, but it's a nice size.

To my surprise I am officially nowhere near as strong as I used to be. I struggled and barely got this into my house, and it was a mere 25kg flatpack box. My table set that I bought 3 months ago (that I am still yet to assemble :lol) is also a flatpack box and weighs 35kg, I carried that in with no problem.

Alfarif

lexi said:
So, I bought a new desk today, it was in flatpack box and it's not like, super executive or anything, but it's a nice size.

To my surprise I am officially nowhere near as strong as I used to be. I struggled and barely got this into my house, and it was a mere 25kg flatpack box. My table set that I bought 3 months ago (that I am still yet to assemble :lol) is also a flatpack box and weighs 35kg, I carried that in with no problem.

*kisses his muscles* You need a big strong man to help you put that up?

Been Polishing your Guns, Alfarif? =3

I dread to think how weak I'll be once I'm free of testosterone. I can barely do anything as it is! =p

norinrad

I've got a question and am sort of confused about it, hope someone can explain it to me.

Whats the deal with androgyny guys, do they fall in the same category as Trans and are they attracted to guys or women?

I have met androgeny guys that look exactly as women and i can't quite wrap my head around it whether they are girls because of the way they behave or would like to be seen as guys.

Either way am confused.

Norwegian Wood said:
I've got a question and am sort of confused about it, hope someone can explain it to me.

Whats the deal with androgyny guys, do they fall in the same category as Trans and are they attracted to guys or women?

I have met androgeny guys that look exactly as women and i can't quite wrap my head around it whether they are girls because of the way they behave or would like to be seen as guys.

Either way am confused.
There's no blanket answer; everyone is different. Maybe some of them would like to transition or don't fully identify as male. They would all fall under the umbrella term of transgendered. Though they could very well just be feminine men. You could flat-out ask them how they identify, however that could be very rude if they aren't trans. Really there's no reason to assume they don't identify as male if they don't tell you otherwise. Sexual attraction really has nothing to do with gender identity. There are plenty of gay transexuals (i.e. male-to-female who is attracted to females and vice versa). So, their sexual orientation could go any number of ways.

Fox the Sly

I once chatted with a guy who was androgynous. He said he felt a sense of belonging to both genders (somewhat reminiscent of a certain muscle man we know :lol), sometimes neither, and as such he liked to stay 'neutral.' Of course, not all androgynous people feel that way, but I thought it was very interesting.

Keikaku

Just wanted to stop into this thread and say "Hi" to all of you in this thread. I have to say that it's been great reading through all 17(!) pages of this thread.

I've learned a lot more about what being trans-gendered is like as well as what the term means to people. I can honestly say that I've never had any personal experience with TG people in my life. I knew that they existed and . . . well, that was about it. We had a week in human sexuality class in community college during which the topic of gender as it relates to sexuality was discussed but I couldn't remember what exactly was discussed. I was too immature to really pay attention and, to be honest, I was paying more attention to the pretty girls in class.

I won't presume to think that I know everything there is to know about what being trans-gendered entails but I would like to thank everyone here who shared their stories here. It was an awesome read and it increased my own knowledge considerably. It was also awesome to see people (for the most part) being really rational and civil in talking about being TG. Keep it up, GAF!

Also, just to add to the general theme of the last couple of pages: Good god Jamie.

Fox the Sly

Keikaku said:
Just wanted to stop into this thread and say "Hi" to all of you in this thread. I have to say that it's been great reading through all 17(!) pages of this thread.

You're a member of 100-posts-per-page GAF too? :D *high five*

Alfarif

Fox the Sly said:
I once chatted with a guy who was androgynous. He said he felt a sense of belonging to both genders (somewhat reminiscent of a certain muscle man we know :lol), sometimes neither, and as such he liked to stay 'neutral.' Of course, not all androgynous people feel that way, but I thought it was very interesting.

Who are you talking about here? *acts all shy and girly, then flexes*

RobertM said:
You become what you believe you are, especially if you convince yourself.

I really hope you didn't mean that how I'm currently taking it.

What is it with parts of GAF coming in to take potshots, then running?

Fox the Sly

RobertM said:
You become what you believe you are, especially if you convince yourself.

Even if you don't understand or agree with people changing their bodies to match their minds, that's a pretty antagonistic way to get your point across and it ain't too appreciated around these parts.

Alfarif said:
Who are you talking about here?

alf_l.jpg

lol

Alfarif said:
What is it with parts of GAF coming in to take potshots, then running?

It doesn't just happen here. It's a fucking shame how many trans jokes fly around the forums with no repercussions. Really fucking gets on my nerves.

Alfarif

RiskyChris said:
It doesn't just happen here. It's a fucking shame how many trans jokes fly around the forums with no repercussions. Really fucking gets on my nerves.

I know exactly what you mean. There are some threads I visit and when I read anti-homosexual or anti-TG comments, I'm like "Wow, really? REALLY?" I talk to so many tolerant people, that when I run across someone who shows intolerance for a lifestyle, it blows my mind out of the back of my skull. There's a lot of things out there I either 1) don't understand, even after researching them, or 2) don't participate in, but that doesn't mean I'm going to make some snide ass remark about them either.

RobertM

RiskyChris said:
You mean "tranny suprise", right? That's a meme rather than a joke, and probably the only derogatory thing I've seen on Gaf. How do you become something you're not?

RobertM said:
You mean "tranny suprise", right? That's a meme rather than a joke, and probably the only derogatory thing I've seen on Gaf.

Yeah I mean that, and also the dozens of other jokes made at the trans community's expense.

Only derogatory thing on GAF my ass.

RoberM said:
How do you become something you're not?

What does this mean?

Fox the Sly

tehAinsley said:
I totally envisioned:

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p84/thePrettyPixie/Misc/Darth_Vader_noooooooo.jpg[IMG]

When I read that. :lol :lol[/QUOTE]

That's actually what I pictured too. :lol :lol :lol

Alfarif

Fox the Sly said:
That's actually what I pictured too. :lol :lol :lol

Haha, you started it! I actually thought that awhile back but figured I'd let someone else say it first.

So I read back a page or two, and I must agree; Lexi is indeed a cutie. Honestly, I can't believe most of you are going through the process, it looks like you've finished.

Another thing I stumbled upon was the discussion about the "I'm straight but/and..." compliment.

All I have to say is that social acceptance of transgender folk is quite new in the West, and even most progressive people are still thinking about how to socially integrate transgender people. The guys who say this sort of "compliment" are still tied to very old and rigid ideas of gender, and are expressing their approval/acceptance, albeit in a very clumsy way.

But hey, we're moving towards a more just and equal society, one clumsy step at a time! Sorry for the awkwardness, but know that most of us mean well. <3

Lastly, RobertM is confusing the hell outta me.

RobertM

RiskyChris said:
Yeah I mean that, and also the dozens of other jokes made at the trans community's expense.

Only derogatory thing on GAF my ass.

What does this mean?
To some extent it's a philosophical question rather than a direct one. How does one overcome a barrier of change to become an inverse image of oneself?

RiskyChris said:

PM me if you find posts that are discriminatory in nature. I cannot physically read every thread on GAF.

In addition RobertM should contemplate the scenario of waking up one morning and discovering that his body is female, despite still having the same consciousness before spouting bullocks.

RobertM said:
To some extent it's a philosophical question rather than a direct one. How does one overcome a barrier of change to become an inverse image of oneself?
My identity is inverse of myself? I don't even know what you're saying.

Top Bottom