• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgaf: 'cause boys will be girls (and vice versa)

ASvIr.jpg

mollipen

I am SUPER BAD about associating people with their avatars. Even though I know how stupid it is to do that, I continually do.

Jintor

By the way, you should all play this game with me. It's great. I've been meaning to write an OT for Gaming for a while now.

Well they're all genderless, being data and all :O

And it's not too horrible to assume the voice of the poster comes from the avatar - even if you don't, you'd do it subconsciously, especially if you'd want to find their posts in a flash. I stop if I get a hint of a preference otherwise, though.

Emitan

Well they're all genderless, being data and all :O

And it's not too horrible to assume the voice of the poster comes from the avatar - even if you don't, you'd do it subconsciously, especially if you'd want to find their posts in a flash. I stop if I get a hint of a preference otherwise, though.

I have made up voices for a lot of people. They have nothing to do with their avatars.

Emitan

I had a dream Keuanu Reeves gave me a million dollars to pay for transitioning stuff. I woke up and I have $3 in my bank account. Damn you, Keanu!

usea

I had a dream Keuanu Reeves gave me a million dollars to pay for transitioning stuff. I woke up and I have $3 in my bank account. Damn you, Keanu!
I love/hate dreams like that. Sometimes it takes me a while after I wake up to realize they're not true. I'll go all the way to lunch before I realize that good feeling in the back of my mind is because I won the lottery and that it was just a dream :(

So, on the topic of selecting a gender in pokemon, how would you guys handle it? When designing games that will be played by children, it seems like a difficult task to be inclusive, educational and progressive while also still appealing to kids' understandings of the world. I don't want to shelter kids from the truth, but at the same time I want things to be presented in an elegant and natural way. It requires some finesse. How would you address it, in a game like pokemon?

When do you guys feel it's appropriate to teach children about gender, sex and sexuality topics? Do you explain stuff in a simplistic way at a young age, and then more thoroughly later? That seems like a decent approach to me. But I am definitely no expert. I am firmly against hiding the nuance and realities of the world from kids, but that's just me. I would definitely let my kids watch R movies if I felt they wouldn't be scarred by it. And I would answer any question genuinely, trying to get them to understand as best as possible. But I realize not everyone feels that way.

(I don't really care about the issue of parents objecting to the way social issues are presented a game, and thus not buying it for their kids. I'm only concerned with what is a good way to present information like that to kids.)

Platy

You are an wachowski sibling ? xD

So, on the topic of selecting a gender in pokemon, how would you guys handle it? When designing games that will be played by children, it seems like a difficult task to be inclusive, educational and progressive while also still appealing to kids' understandings of the world. I don't want to shelter kids from the truth, but at the same time I want things to be presented in an elegant and natural way. It requires some finesse. How would you address it, in a game like pokemon?

When do you guys feel it's appropriate to teach children about gender, sex and sexuality topics? Do you explain stuff in a simplistic way at a young age, and then more thoroughly later? That seems like a decent approach to me. But I am definitely no expert. I am firmly against hiding the nuance and realities of the world from kids, but that's just me. I would definitely let my kids watch R movies if I felt they wouldn't be scarred by it. And I would answer any question genuinely, trying to get them to understand as best as possible. But I realize not everyone feels that way.

(I don't really care about the issue of parents objecting to the way social issues are presented a game, and thus not buying it for their kids. I'm only concerned with what is a good way to present information like that to kids.)

The problem that people think children will have with this stuff is more on their heads than in the children's....

Once I was at the buss, and 2 children (around 5 years i think) were talking trying to discover if I was a boy or a girl.

The conversation went like this :

Children 1 : "Well ... i think it is a boy"
Children 2 : "C'mon ! you are stupid ? OF COURSE is a girl ! LOOK ! purple shoes !"

Your gender being defined by the color of your shoe is one of the most awesome and fluidy gender theories I ever saw, and you must understand that I AM interested in these things.

Don't blame him, he probably doesn't have a lot of money either. :(

I had two really weird dreams last night. I can't remember the first one too well, but the second one involved killing zombies with a sword in a school, which housed pre-k through 12th grade. I think it was a high-frequency blade, because it could smoothly cut through anything.
I think the best course of action would be to let children build their own character. If prebuilt characters are included, don't divide them up by gender. In a game like Pokemon, the gender of your character has no impact on the game, so they wouldn't even need to select a gender.

That's a tough question. I agree with you about not hiding the truth from them.

Emitan

Don't blame him, he probably doesn't have a lot of money either. :(

He gives all of it away to cancer charities (his sister has cancer) or to crew members who don't get paid a ton (costume department, etc).

I also had a dream I was in an airship that crashlanded in Jurassic Park. This is why I should totally study geology right before going to bed.

He gives all of it away to cancer charities (his sister has cancer) or to crew members who don't get paid a ton (costume department, etc).

I also had a dream I was in an airship that crashlanded in Jurassic Park. This is why I should totally study geology right before going to bed.

And I thought I had crazy dreams hahaha. Well don't feel bad though. Remember when I only had 97 cents in my bank account?

Jintor

No dreams last night. (I think I read too many Batman comics before I went to sleep)

Billie has a new avatar though!

mollipen

I've been getting mixed messages. Should I start weightloss now or when I'm on hormones?

If you get skinnier from hormones, you can always put on more weight. If you put on more weight from hormones, it'll be harder to take off.

So, I'd say lose weight before hormones if possible.

Top Bottom