• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor |OT| Super Giant Sword

I've watched a pretty big chunk of footage, and the combat looks a little shallow.

I hope it has legs, and grows in depth as the game progresses, but something tells me this is gonna be a Child of Light situation...where it's all just about the aesthetic / soundtrack. EDIT: Will I need a controller on PC, or will it play well with a mouse & keyboard?

Vitor711

I've watched a pretty big chunk of footage, and the combat looks a little shallow.

I hope it has legs, and grows in depth as the game progresses, but something tells me this is gonna be a Child of Light situation...where it's all just about the aesthetic / soundtrack. EDIT: Will I need a controller on PC, or will it play well with a mouse & keyboard?

Yeah, only these guys have a proven track record with Bastion which could be hella-deep if you tinkered with the game's options.

Having difficulty directly tied to exp. rewards/upgrades etc. was genius.

I have no doubt that SuperGiant will likely do something similar here. Also, unlike CoL, this definitely won't suffer from horrific writing. Bastion is still one of the best written games of last gen whereas the writer of CoL did the (highly dubious) Far Cry 3... It's a shaky comparison.

Yeah, only these guys have a proven track record with Bastion which could be hella-deep if you tinkered with the game's options.

Having difficulty directly tied to exp. rewards/upgrades etc. was genius.

I have no doubt that SuperGiant will likely do something similar here. Also, unlike CoL, this definitely won't suffer from horrific writing. Bastion is still one of the best written games of last gen whereas the writer of CoL did the (highly dubious) Far Cry 3... It's a shaky comparison.

CoL's writing was terrible, truly held back a great game. Still good, but it could have been better even if they dropped the awkward prose that ruined the serviceable story. Smh, Transistor has the potential to have stronger barrier narritive chops than bastion.

ascully

Big fan of anything Greg is involved in, preordered on PSN last week. Does this release at midnight or do we have to wait until Grace Chen time tomorrow?

This game is no where in the wild yet? No impressions? I just bought it and I'm hoping I like it more than Bastion, which I didn't like too much.

Every time I watch one of these Transistor trailers the hairs on the back of my head stand up.

Just a flawless mix of artistry wed to that music. So good.

And, was listening to Garnett-on-Games the other day and he described Transistor as reminiscent of Final Fantasy Tactics. I don't know if he's played it at all to know that, and I haven't seen anything like that - its that a fair description though?

Seda

Every time I watch one of these Transistor trailers the hairs on the back of my head stand up.

Just a flawless mix of artistry wed to that music. So good.

And, was listening to Garnett-on-Games the other day and he described Transistor as reminiscent of Final Fantasy Tactics. I don't know if he's played it at all to know that, and I haven't seen anything like that - its that a fair description though?

It's not like Final Fantasy Tactics at all.

I was just reminiscing about bastion, and I think it's better than I remember. It's just been a while. Randomly I came upon the awards and I forgot how much damn awards it won. Bastion most def was one of the best David and Goliath moments of last gen.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Can anyone who has played this at all say how it's combat compares to Bastion ? I mean I know it's different but I'm talking feedback wise. I really wanted to like Bastion but gave up as I found it unsatisfying to play, hitting enemies and the combat in general didn't really impress me.

bigjig

I'm interested, but I'll wait for reviews/general impressions. I loved Bastion's art style and narration but just could not get into the gameplay at all. Hopefully the tactical elements in this one make for a more fun experience.

qream

Will there be no demo? Once you strip away Bastion's graphics and narration you're left with a game which is thoroughly below average, and so there's no way I can buy this without giving it a go first.

For me, the gameplay is always more important than the presentation, and while Bastion has one in spades it lacks in other way too much, and I'd fear the same of this.

We don't share the same opinion in regards to Bastions gameplay.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
A friend gifted me $20 worth of psn bucks for my birthday. Looking forward to picking this up tomorrow :)

Ark

I'm working late tomorrow so I'll have something to keep me pre-occupied from waiting for reviews & impressions :)

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Man this game is making me almost jump to the new generation.

I think once Nidhogg comes out on PS4, I will be in.

eshwaaz

Can anyone who has played this at all say how it's combat compares to Bastion ? I mean I know it's different but I'm talking feedback wise. I really wanted to like Bastion but gave up as I found it unsatisfying to play, hitting enemies and the combat in general didn't really impress me.
My experience as well. There was a lot about Bastion I liked, but the combat did nothing for me. Still curious about Transistor, though.

I'm so excited to play this tomorrow when I come home from work! I'm a huge fan of Bastion and if this game is anywhere near that game's quality I'm gonna be a happy camper.

Clearly GCT is a fickle beast, but do they even have a regular time that they at least shoot for? (And miss every week?)

I don't walk into Best Buy on my lunch break on Tuesday only to have them say "we've had the game in the back of the store for a week or two now but we're not going to put it up on the shelves until sometime this afternoon or tonight, try again later."

Question:

when will Sony fire Grace Chen?

when will we get someone who can do the job in a competent manner?

Blaming Grace Chen is a long running GAF joke. The NA PSN updates are far beyond her. We'll never know why some updates are late and why some are on time.

We just need to understand that the NA update will occur during the GCT time zone (12:00 PM to 12:00 AM, pacific) on good Tuesdays.

Pimpwerx

Question:

when will Sony fire Grace Chen?

when will we get someone who can do the job in a competent manner?
It's been an issue since the store first emerged. It'll never get fixed until there are financial consequences. People like me keep buying the games despite the lackluster service. We're the real problem. My apologies. I just can't do physical anymore. PEACE.

IMACOMPUTA

Shit. Do I get this on Steam or PS4?!

Remote play seems like it would be perfect for this...

Does anybody know if its 30 or 60 fps on PS4?

Top Bottom