• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor |OT| Super Giant Sword

viveks86

We have no plans other than to launch Transistor on Tuesday this week and be around to support that launch. Everything else will depend on how it all shakes out.

From what I've seen and heard so far, things are looking good for you guys. REAL good. I wish you guys all the best. Buying this day 1 :)

Lime

Just preordered this with the soundtrack. Normally I dont do this atsuch a high price but the art style is great and I want to support efforts to have more diversity in the mainstream indie space.

Mine01

I started playing bastion today and man, cant wait for transistor.

A question about bastion:

theres just one monument shard left to find, how far to the end i am?.

Saganator

Holy shit. Somehow this game went under my radar until just now. I must have it. Conflicted on which version to get. I'm leaning PS4.

Number45

Add me to the list that would eat up a PS4/Vita Bastion. I bought it on iPad but couldn't get on with the controls (either method).

I can't completely tell from the list, but are any of those missable collectables?
The game's geared around multiple play-throughs isn't it? I wouldn't expect any missables.

Nyx

Was not interested in this at all, mainly cause I didn't like Bastion.

But that 'tactical' gameplay bit sold me on the game!

Zach

Man I hate talking about game length. I feel like it's a multiple-choice question where all the answers are wrong.

TL;DR
if you've played our first game then this one should be in the same ballpark for you

And now, for a treatise on game length! <standing on soap box, clearing throat>

In our playtests there was a lot of variance in play-through durations (as much as 50% difference from one player to the next). Some players take the fights in this game very deliberately while others don't, due to the nature of the planning mode and how it works.

Also there is (in my take-with-a-grain-of-salt opinion) a considerable amount of side content in this game that you can simply skip if you want to get to the end faster.

When making games at no point do we aim for some magical "hours of gameplay" number. It is more about making sure the promise set forth by the narrative and gameplay is delivered upon, without wasting the player's time. It's not difficult to make a game longer. It's more difficult to make a game with a good pace. We're more interested in seeing if we can do that.

The result we want is: If you're the type of person whose time is precious, we want you to be able to get through the game in a reasonable amount of time and hopefully have an experience that leaves a lasting and positive impression. We want you to not regret having played and finished one of our games.

If you're the type of person who wants to really dig into a game and spend a lot of quality time with it, we want to provide a lot of richness and variance in the gameplay to make it replayable and stay fresh so that you get a really good value. That's not about trying to be all things to all people, it's more about catering to two specific mindsets we happen to have on team and naturally gravitate to as game players.

Expectations about game length are all over the place so I hope this helps you calibrate yours.

All game makers should take note of this.

Zakalwe

Banned
You guys are getting the Pc or PS4 version?
I'm not sure what to grab :eek:

They said the framerate might drop a little on ps4 at times, only when they considered the trade off to be worth it, but for the most part it'll be 60fps.

If that's cool with you then it's all about where you want it: Steam or PSN.

The game's geared around multiple play-throughs isn't it? I wouldn't expect any missables.

Missable in the sense that, once you go past a certain area in a single playthrough, you can't go back and get it. As opposed to games where after you beat the final area, you can still backtrack and explore.

But yes, with two playthroughs needed minimum, it's less important.

If the dev comes around again, how does the mouse-only control scheme work? Would you say it's best to play with a gamepad or is mouse/keyboard and mouse-only adequate?

Typomancer

Neo Member
I’m super stuck on deciding if I want the PS4 version or the Steam version. I’m thinking of getting the PS4 version now, then getting the Steam version a year or so later in the inevitable Humble Bundle.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Preoredered as I loved Bastion and this looks great, so I'm happy to support Supergiant Games.

I'll start it up in a few days when I finish up my current season in The Show for a change of pace before trying out RTTS mode

Will there be no demo? Once you strip away Bastion's graphics and narration you're left with a game which is thoroughly below average, and so there's no way I can buy this without giving it a go first.

For me, the gameplay is always more important than the presentation, and while Bastion has one in spades it lacks in other way too much, and I'd fear the same of this.

chris121580

We have no plans other than to launch Transistor on Tuesday this week and be around to support that launch. Everything else will depend on how it all shakes out.

Just wanted to say that you and Supergiant Games are everything that is right in the video game industry! I can't wait to play this and good luck with the launch!

Skeleton

Banned
Cannot wait, Just finished Child Of Light on Sunday, So this'll be my next gaming fix.

PS4 all the way (although I did just get Infamous SS Special Edition for 37 pounds too!)

Top Bottom