• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor |OT| Super Giant Sword

Kinthalis

Banned
Pre-ordered on Steam over the weekend.

Was hoping for a midnight release, btu it looks like it unlocks tomorrow afternoon.

Looking forward to it.

Buying tomorrow on PS4!

I've always wanted to play Bastion, but I only game on Playstation devices so... :(

I did buy bastion on IPad but didn't get far cause of the controls. Seemed cool from what little I played.

In your opinion

I kind of assumed that went without saying, unless you propose that almost every sentence on the internet is prefixed with "in my opinion..."

But yeah, I thought Bastion was a bad game behind the wonderful presentation, and I fear the same of this one. In my opinion, which is the opinion of me and may not represent the views of the company I work for etc.

There's no way they're getting $20 from me without a demo.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, I won't have time to enjoy the game this week due to work but I'm planning to buy it on day one to show support. Absolutely cannot wait to play it.

I'm still feeling a little iffy about the attack animations but I suspect they'll grow on me. Of course, it makes sense given the context and character.

kasavin

The game's geared around multiple play-throughs isn't it? I wouldn't expect any missables.

There are things that are technically missable and optional but we are not big on hiding stuff that you can then miss and feel bad about for missing. The stuff you missed, you shouldn't know you missed. There is no collectathon type stuff where late in the game you have 39/40 because you missed something in level two.

kasavin

If the dev comes around again, how does the mouse-only control scheme work? Would you say it's best to play with a gamepad or is mouse/keyboard and mouse-only adequate?

We put a lot into the mouse-and-keyboard controls, and in fact, unlike Bastion, we started with mouse-and-keyboard controls on this project.

Mouse-only is viable though of course mouse-and-keyboard can be faster and more efficient.

It is highly remappable / customizable but by default, left-click moves and right-click uses your active function (i.e. attack). You can also use WASD to move if you're used to that (e.g. if you're coming from Bastion).

I do not have an opinion on which control scheme is better. Each is tailored for the platform. If we felt one was better than the other then the game would not be ready for release.

I kind of assumed that went without saying, unless you propose that almost every sentence on the internet is prefixed with "in my opinion..."

But yeah, I thought Bastion was a bad game behind the wonderful presentation, and I fear the same of this one. In my opinion, which is the opinion of me and may not represent the views of the company I work for etc.

There's no way they're getting $20 from me without a demo.

Did you try all the weapons and mess around with the shrines (can't remember the name, the difficulty modifiers)? The game is surprisingly deep. I didn't think much of it on the first run through but after messing around with everything I developed a far greater appreciation for it.

When did this even get a thread? Yeesh, where have I been? I've been anxiously awaiting this game for a while now. The whole damn thing is just spectacular!

Damn, sometimes I forget this website has a video game forum that is the main draw.

XD

Slixshot

Banned
There are things that are technically missable and optional but we are not big on hiding stuff that you can then miss and feel bad about for missing. The stuff you missed, you shouldn't know you missed. There is no collectathon type stuff where late in the game you have 39/40 because you missed something in level two.

We put a lot into the mouse-and-keyboard controls, and in fact, unlike Bastion, we started with mouse-and-keyboard controls on this project.

Mouse-only is viable though of course mouse-and-keyboard can be faster and more efficient.

It is highly remappable / customizable but by default, left-click moves and right-click uses your active function (i.e. attack). You can also use WASD to move if you're used to that (e.g. if you're coming from Bastion).

I do not have an opinion on which control scheme is better. Each is tailored for the platform. If we felt one was better than the other then the game would not be ready for release.

Reading all of your responses to questions from the community has really shown (me, at least) that you're quite a nice person. You guys make games with such care and as a tightly knit team. It's really nice to see that you guys have been successful with your projects. You will be with this one. I'm sure of it. It appears that you are all very humble about it, as well. Good luck tomorrow. That goes for all of the members of SuperGiant. Always looking forward to what you guys do next.

BashNasty

Honestly expected the release on PS4 to be tonight, much like Trials: Fusion, so a bit bummed out about that, but still, I can't wait. Transistor has looked fantastic ever since the reveal.

Saganator

More people need to see this game. I had no idea it existed until last night by randomly clicking on this thread, and now I'm hyped and getting it day 1. Guess I'm lucky because it looks like some people have been hyped for this for a long time.

Really love the art style and how smooth everything looks to be.

Fantastic OP !

One of my fav devs and one of my most anticipated games of 2014!

Does anyone know at what time (usually) the EU PSN store gets updated with games on Tuesday?

Thanks in advance everyone.

No Love

Banned
Made by Bastion creators? Day 1

Also, Jenn Zee of Supergiant Games is pretty hot. Probably one of the hottest girls working in the gaming industry today.

Lima

Fantastic OP !

One of my fav devs and one of my most anticipated games of 2014!

Does anyone know at what time (usually) the EU PSN store gets updated with games on Tuesday?

Thanks in advance everyone.

You clearly haven't read the OP very well. As usual EU has to wait a day longer as it updates on Wednesday. No Transitor for you tomorrow.

Fuckers at Sony.

You clearly haven't read the OP very well. As usual EU has to wait a day longer as it updates on Wednesday. No Transitor for you tomorrow.

Fuckers at Sony.

The only positive is that we are guaranteed to get it on wednesday. NA people have to rely on Grace chen though.

Seda

Day of? why?

v

Assuming you mean review embargoes, we had complete influence over Transistor's review embargo. It's our game.

Some reasons we felt a review embargo was appropriate:

- While it is unavoidable to some extent, we wanted to give at least some media outlets an equivalent and sufficiently reasonable amount of time with the game. (We still have hundreds of requests for review code that we're evaluating.)

- We want to protect our game so that it's not spoiled for people before they can play it for themselves. We've purposely withheld a lot of information about Transistor. If someone live-streamed the whole thing yesterday, we would have been sad.

- We think it's good when reviews coincide with the availability of the thing being reviewed. I hate reading reviews of things I don't have the option to buy or play (regardless of whether the review is positive).

So, my opinion is that a review embargo such as this is primarily a request for courtesy between publications getting early access to a game, but it is also somewhat self-serving (as is the act of sending out review code). We have no real leverage to enforce this embargo, being a small studio that's only released one other game. However, we respect the editorial process and have faith that publications will honor the embargo for the sake of their peers in the field, if for no other reason.

Back in my game-reviewing days we would sometimes get reviewers' guides with lists of topics we were asked not to cover or spoil, or whatever. I think that stuff is nonsense and that we have no say in those types of decisions. Publications best know what level of detail their audiences want. It's right there in the word "Editor".

Anyway some reviews should start hitting before the game comes out for those interested. I will find out what reviews this game gets no sooner than any of you.

S1kkZ

Day of? why?

because indie devs need the attention. if a potential customer reads a review and wants to buy the game, he should be able to do it on the spot. otherwise, he might lose interest. that happenend to broken age: reviews hit two weeks before launch, many people wanted to buy but couldnt.

OR: see sedas post above me.

shwimpy

Wonder if this is going up at 12AM EST on PSN... Digital-only releases usually don't but I believe this is the first game with the option to pre-order.

Wonder if this is going up at 12AM EST on PSN... Digital-only releases usually don't but I believe this is the first game with the option to pre-order.
Judging from this thread it doesn't look like it. On one hand, it's a shame, on the other hand I won't have any excuses to stay up past midnight.

Top Bottom