• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor |OT| Super Giant Sword

Seda

Seda, how did you like the game overall?

My review is here. I go into a fair bit of detail on the mechanics as Supergiant was fairly quiet about that before release. So a lot of explanation in addition to personal opinion.

http://rpgsite.net/review/3577-transistor-review

(Dont pay too much attention to the number, it's more an obligation than anything.)

I really liked the skill system. There are numerous ways you can allocate your Functions to create viable builds. As I love tinkering and customizing and trying new things, this really sat well with me. I was slightly disappointed that the game mostly travels along a straight line, and the challenge rooms weren't all that challenging. But that doesn't take away from how fun playing around with Functions can be. Or the great visual presentation values.

As for pace, the game is more methodical than speedy. Especially if you are using many limiters, you can't just fly into a combat zone and hope to succeed easily. Requires some planning and patience, although things can certainly get hectic too. I wouldn't say it's too sluggish or anything.

Ephemeris

few pics from last year
8rhNtj2.jpg
kKrAUrF.jpg

EH4X3uw.jpg
QbtkU79.jpg

Man, if someone told me back then I'd have to wait a year to play this, I'd have been soo mad haha.

( I really want Cloudbank on my wall)

Grief.exe

My review is here. I go into a fair bit of detail on the mechanics as Supergiant was fairly quiet about that before release. So a lot of explanation in addition to personal opinion.

http://rpgsite.net/review/3577-transistor-review

(Dont pay too much attention to the number, it's more an obligation than anything.)

I really liked the skill system. There are numerous ways you can allocate your Functions to create viable builds. As I love tinkering and customizing and trying new things, this really sat well with me. I was slightly disappointed that the game mostly travels along a straight line, and the challenge rooms weren't all that challenging. But that doesn't take away from how fun playing around with Functions can be. Or the great visual presentation values.

As for pace, the game is more methodical than speedy. Especially if you are using many limiters, you can't just fly into a combat zone and hope to succeed easily. Requires some planning and patience, although things can certainly get hectic too. I wouldn't say it's too sluggish or anything.

Did you find yourself playing it more as an action RPG or Tactical RPG?

I'm reading your review right now so apologies if that is covered, but that question is oddly specific.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
On the PS4 I went to What's New, clicked on Transistor there and was able to purchase. Downloading now.
Same. And it's going uber-fast for my limited connection. If you wanna get it before it starts getting flooded, go now.

Phatmac

Anyone else having a problem loading the game? Just started it and I'm seeing this strange screen. I'm playing it on a older laptop but it had no problems running Bastion so I'm wondering what's happening.
1024x575.resizedimage

why am i not able to buy anything from the SEN Store website? not even old stuff. when i log in and go to the description page it doesn't have the add to card nonsense.

Kiyo

Really wish I would've known it was 1080p locked before buying it on Steam. Would've just got it on my PS4 had I known.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
When I use the PSN app, it takes me to a site that still only let's me pre-order the game. I'm trying to start the download remotely.

Blinck

Like I said if the assets were painted in 1080p you can't play it at higher resolutions without blurring it out.

And don't expect a patch as this would require the assets to be repainted in higher resolutions which is obviously not going to happen :p

Seda

Did you find yourself playing it more as an action RPG or Tactical RPG?

I'm reading your review right now so apologies if that is covered, but that question is oddly specific.

It really is a combination of both. I found myself 'pulling' enemies away from groups to pick them off - or using cover as I kited enemies trying to mitigate damage. But sometimes when you get a little overwhelmed by numbers you have no choice but to move and react quickly in dodging attacks and getting hits in when you can. But even still you can use Turn() to try and survive, which is entirely tactical in nature as everything stops until you either cancel or execute your sequence.

Like I said if the assets were painted in 1080p you can't play it at higher resolutions without blurring it out.

And don't expect a patch as this would require the assets to be repainted in higher resolutions which is obviously not going to happen :p

and I say if Rayman Origins can do it, Transistor can too. (pretty sure their art assets were fixed resolution as well)

That game looked amazing.

Regardless, I'll buy this on PS4 instead of PC because I do want to play it.

epmode

Bastion is playable at higher resolutions than 720p. It even works at 2560x1600 even though it's clear the game wasn't designed with it in mind.

Kiyo

Refuses to play amazing game because of arbitrary resolution snobbery.

The PC Master race are the worst.

It's not that. It's either play it stretched and ugly or play it in a window. Had I known, I'd have just got it on my PS4 which is hooked up to a native 1080p display.

calder

If anyone has it preordered and wants to download it now go to the preorder page and add it to your cart again. It'll show as $0 and let you proceed to checkout and the download page.

For the millionth time, thank god for remote downloading. Although it's funny how I so love being able to download the game on release day while I'm at work, and yet when I get home I normally do other stuff for an hour or two. I generally would have had enough time before I'm ready to play had I simply started the download when I got home even for larger games... but still. ;)

MUnited83

For you.
and I say if Rayman Origins can do it, Transistor can too. (pretty sure their art assets were fixed resolution as well)

That game looked amazing.

Regardless, I'll buy this on PS4 instead of PC because I do want to play it.

Afaik, Rayman Origins art assets have a obscenely high original resolution.

louiedog

It's not that. It's either play it stretched and ugly or play it in a window. Had I known, I'd have just got it on my PS4 which is hooked up to a native 1080p display.

Why would it be stretched? There are plenty of games that are only rendered in 16:9 that put black bars on my 16:10 display. I can't remember the last one that didn't do it itself, and if that was the case my GPU can do it. And if my GPU couldn't do it, my monitor could.

fedexpeon

Banned
It really is a combination of both. I found myself 'pulling' enemies away from groups to pick them off - or using cover as I kited enemies trying to mitigate damage. But sometimes when you get a little overwhelmed by numbers you have no choice but to move and react quickly in dodging attacks and getting hits in when you can. But even still you can use Turn() to try and survive, which is entirely tactical in nature as everything stops until you either cancel or execute your sequence.

Oh boy, I am liking what I am reading.
I love me some tactical combat.

Top Bottom