• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor |OT| Super Giant Sword

With all these complaints over the start/stop nature of the combat, it seems like the game should have been more obvious about the fact that you can keep fighting while your bar is recharging if you attach Jaunt to another ability ("Jaunt enables you to use most Functions during Turn recovery.").

Gonna just put all my stuff in spoilers since I'm kind of talking about the game as a whole. Major spoilers.

I liked this a lot, aesthetically and mechanically, but was anyone else disappointed by the...scope, I guess? It's short, but that's not really the exact problem I had. After the first boss they hint that you'll have a boss fight for each of the other members, but then the next two dudes just kill themselves. That giant mysterious creature, you never fight him. I wonder if they got in over their heads on something and had to cut stuff. The levels looks great but don't have much variety. It just seems like it never really goes anywhere and not much happens. I guess I just expected more stuff...more bosses, more characters, more twists, more betrayal, more redemption, more surprises, more...well, stuff. It feels like a side story of some larger piece.

I did like it a lot though, in fact I'm replaying it now.

Need a little help as I can't figure out what to do, towards the end.

I encountered the Proxy and followed it but once it stops at the end of that path I can't interact with it or anything. What am I supposed to be doing?

Ferrio

Banned
With all these complaints over the start/stop nature of the combat, it seems like the game should have been more obvious about the fact that you can keep fighting while your bar is recharging if you attach Jaunt to another ability ("Jaunt enables you to use most Functions during Turn recovery.").

I like jaunt to much to not have it as a skill.

Gaz_RB

Luckily you can get duplicates!
Gonna just put all my stuff in spoilers since I'm kind of talking about the game as a whole. Major spoilers.

I liked this a lot, aesthetically and mechanically, but was anyone else disappointed by the...scope, I guess? It's short, but that's not really the exact problem I had. After the first boss they hint that you'll have a boss fight for each of the other members, but then the next two dudes just kill themselves. That giant mysterious creature, you never fight him. I wonder if they got in over their heads on something and had to cut stuff. The levels looks great but don't have much variety. It just seems like it never really goes anywhere and not much happens. I guess I just expected more stuff...more bosses, more characters, more twists, more betrayal, more redemption, more surprises, more...well, stuff. It feels like a side story of some larger piece.

Whole game:
I do agree with some of what you wrote, but don't you fight the giant monster thing? You go inside and kill it's heart, remember?

Vire

Yeah..

I too thought you were going to take out each member of the organization one by one and was disappointed they didn't go the Kill Bill route.

Instead of a super great, straightforward, stylish revenge story, we got some overly pretentious love story. Oh well.

Sure, but then you void your right to complain about not being able to do anything while waiting for the bar to recharge. :)

Speaking of which, can you get duplicate abilities later on? It would be nice to be able to use some of these abilities while still being able to use them for upgrades or passives simultaneously.

I would recommend buying from their website since you can get the FLAC version and not the .MP3 version.

As nice as the FLAC would be I don't really have ways to truly listen to it to the point it's worth it. My car speakers via USB can only do MP3, and if I'm listening through headphones/AUX cable then the lossless data is pointless. I got it via amazon. All my payment info is already there and it was a dollar cheaper.

Kuni

Started playing this tonight. Must say the art, presentation and the all the small flourishes they've done is rare to see. The story is certainly interesting so far too, especially the way it's being told. Liking the combat as well, reminds me a little of Fallout 3.

Grief.exe

Most powerful attack in the game is using a active crash backstab, active mask, then Cull() with a void attached as an upgrade. Can kill pretty much every enemy in the game in one hit, and there is a trophy related to doing over 2000 damage in one turn.

I was pretty much doing that, but slightly differently. I haven't min/maxed it yet, but my method might relate to more damage.

Void() active with Crash() as an upgrade to weaken the target
Mask() active
Cull() active with Breach() and Load() to increase the maximum damage.

I rarely actually equip or use Mask() with this combination as Void() + Cull() actives just do so much damage. I generally have Get() active as well to group everyone up, Void(), then Cull().

Eusis

Explain Cave Story.
Passion effort, lower end graphics.

I think that's the important thing: if you're going for a nicer looking game or one that's crazy open it WILL be too expensive to do with a smaller staff and as an indie project, whereas if you go for a lower end aesthetic and presentation you can get more done, doubly so if the game's still linear ENOUGH.

This game is gorgeous is every way and I really like it but the intermittent 1-5 second freezes are really bumming me out. Don't think I can play until that's fixed.

Meia

I've had no problem playing the game at all, then it recently updated and now the game chugs like hell. So weird...

I like how I've gone from pausing the game all the time, to hardly ever doing it anymore just based on what abilities I'm using. I just have a pet out with a bunch of damage mods on it, while I'm shooting out fast spreading bombs. Fun stuff.

Mesoian

Just finished. Amazing game, did not see the ending coming.

So criticisms.

Am I alone in thinking that friendly AI is completely brain dead? To the point where using charm is completely useless as anything but a diversion? Most of the time, if I charm an enemy, it results in them standing still for 6 seconds until it wears off. Even if I use Help, unless I use Note, Luna will just stand perfectly still and do nothing. Granted with the setup I've made, I'm doing 600-800 with Luna each turn so if she was, you know, smart, the game might be too easy, but seriously, the AI shouldn't be this bad.

Just finished. Amazing game, did not see the ending coming.

So criticisms.

Am I alone in thinking that friendly AI is completely brain dead? To the point where using charm is completely useless as anything but a diversion? Most of the time, if I charm an enemy, it results in them standing still for 6 seconds until it wears off. Even if I use Help, unless I use Note, Luna will just stand perfectly still and do nothing. Granted with the setup I've made, I'm doing 600-800 with Luna each turn so if she was, you know, smart, the game might be too easy, but seriously, the AI shouldn't be this bad.

Charming the shield droids is fun when they decide to target you. But yeah, charm is mostly useful as a way of disabling an enemy for a brief period of time rather than actually expecting it to deal damage for you.

Not sure if spoiler so I'll tag it anyway about charming
The room you're supposed to sneak through with the 5 or 6 LittleLady 3.0s I beat exclusively through charm use. It was incredibly considering I used restrictive Limiters my entire run. I actually got a lot of use out of it due to it being cheap and getting docks MBs.

Vire

I was pretty much doing that, but slightly differently. I haven't min/maxed it yet, but my method might relate to more damage.

Void() active with Crash() as an upgrade to weaken the target
Mask() active
Cull() active with Breach() and Load() to increase the maximum damage.

I rarely actually equip or use Mask() with this combination as Void() + Cull() actives just do so much damage. I generally have Get() active as well to group everyone up, Void(), then Cull().

Sounds good, I'll try it out. I know you can get duplicates through the New Game + mode, so I imagine putting Void as a passive (raises the damage of all functions), you could do some absurd combinations.

Yeah..

I too thought you were going to take out each member of the organization one by one and was disappointed they didn't go the Kill Bill route.

Instead of a super great, straightforward, stylish revenge story, we got some overly pretentious love story. Oh well.

"Pretentious" can also be applied to revenge stories.

I would have liked more bosses but I thought
the double suicide and the final boss battle were well done

Mid-game spoilers, I'm guessing?

Everything Transistor says when he's in that powered-down "drunk" state is both really funny and incredibly sad.
I think the in-game writing here is miles above Bastion's, and I liked Bastion's story quite a bit.

Mid-game spoilers, I'm guessing?

Everything Transistor says when he's in that powered-down "drunk" state is both really funny and incredibly sad.
I think the in-game writing here is miles above Bastion's, and I liked Bastion's story quite a bit.

The
second time he goes drunk also said some incredible sad stuff and some allusions to the nature of the Proccess

Small Easter Egg: If you hum the first time he'll say a few of the lyrics to We All Become One sing songy. I'm sure as much as everyone has talked about it and flourish that's it's pretty common knowledge though.

Absolutley beautiful game. Played the first 15 minutes just to try it out and will be jumping in for a few more hours tomorrow. The music is incredible and the artwork gorgeous. I'm also loving the tactical combat system.

Just a quick question to those who have cleared the game. What kind of length is it on a first play-through?

For the people who are complaining that they are running around hoping the bar to fill: You don't have to use the full bar in Load each time you know...

If you only use half of the bar in load, then it will return twice as fast. Giving room for both active and tactical combat. There are moves that are suited for tactical view and then there are moves that are suited for active gameplay. You need to experiment to see what works best for you.

Something like Spark()+ Velocity() + Bounce () is a really great active combination that you could try out.

I think it's more of a complaint of it as a mechanic and combat design than about difficulty. It actually reloads pretty quickly even from empty.

Vire

Absolutley beautiful game. Played the first 15 minutes just to try it out and will be jumping in for a few more hours tomorrow. The music is incredible and the artwork gorgeous. I'm also loving the tactical combat system.

Just a quick question to those who have cleared the game. What kind of length is it on a first play-through?

Took me roughly 8 hours or so, but I tried to do almost everything. So your milage may vary.

The game is highly repayable though, so I wouldn't sweat it.

Took me roughly 8 hours or so, but I tried to do almost everything. So your milage may vary.

The game is highly repayable though, so I wouldn't sweat it.

Thanks. That seems like a decent length for the price I was worried it may be super short like Limbo.

To chime in on the ending discussion
I'll admit I was a little taken aback by the direction they went in. Shifting from the Camerata (or however it is spelled) being the big bads to realizing they unwittingly screwed everything up and ended up all dying for it was a move I can respect, though I would have totally gone for a 4-boss setup just as well, I can get the desire to mix that up a bit. My one main question is that is it ever directly addressed what they intended to use the process for? I liked the vagueness of a lot of the plot but I couldn't seem to figure that one out.

I will say, though, that the voice acting was top notch in every instance
from the person in the Transistor, to Asher, though honestly I really really liked the methodical and dry way that Royce was acted most of all.
Crazy that an indie studio does one of my favorite VO jobs in recent gaming.

Need a little help as I can't figure out what to do, towards the end.

I encountered the Proxy and followed it but once it stops at the end of that path I can't interact with it or anything. What am I supposed to be doing?

Not sure what was going on but I was supposed to click on a terminal but it wasn't showing as something to interact with. I had to reload the game eight times before it showed up.

newsguy

Im like 2 hours in and it's finally clicking. The better abilities really open up the strategy. Early on I was not impressed.

TunaUppercut

Neo Member
Finished the game earlier today. With all limiters on (at least the ones I was given). Great Art direction. Now I know why Transistor uses so much vram.

Parsnip

For some reason the game occasionally minimizes for me, like it's losing focus to something else, but nothing's on my desktop that would do that. Weird.

JoeFu

Banned
Well, just got an email saying they released a patch that should fix what wouldn't let me play the game. Hope it's true

Zeliard

For some reason the game occasionally minimizes for me, like it's losing focus to something else, but nothing's on my desktop that would do that. Weird.

I'm just getting outright crashes out of nowhere. Screen freezes up and I have to ctrl-alt-del. I'm still only at the beginning and have had to start from scratch four times now. Haven't even been able to reach the first save point yet without it locking up.

Grief.exe

Anyone know how to restart the game from the beginning? I wanted to start fresh with the GF watching.

Delete your save game.

Steam/userdata/<user-id>/237930/

I'm just getting outright crashes out of nowhere. Screen freezes up and I have to ctrl-alt-del. I'm still only at the beginning and have had to start from scratch four times now. Haven't even been able to reach the first save point yet without it locking up.

Try verifying cache and disabling Steam overlay.

Parsnip

Ouch, that's a bummer.

I guess I'm lucky then, the game also pauses when it loses focus so my problem is really more of an inconvenience than anything else.

ChapaNDJ

Banned
Quite disappointing so far, gameplay and combat leaves too much to be desired.
The story, i don't even know what is going on to be honest.

As for the music and the art, its perfect, but that's it.

I was expecting something like Bastion, i'm losing interest in keep playing it but i'll try beat it so i feel i make my money worth.

But nonetheless, very depressed about how this turned out to be.

Top Bottom