• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor |OT| Super Giant Sword

Two hours in and I have lost all access to the Crash() ability, it just doesn't exist in my unlocked skills anymore. Anyone else experienced this?

Am I going to have to play those two hours again? Not that I can complain, the game is great.

UZjiWUN.jpg

Two hours in and I have lost all access to the Crash() ability, it just doesn't exist in my unlocked skills anymore. Anyone else experienced this?

Am I going to have to play those two hours again? Not that I can complain, the game is great.

Not sure if this is what happened to you, but this is sort of what happens when you take too much damage. You'll lose one ability each time your health bar is depleted in battle. You need to visit a number of the "save stations" to be able to use them again.

Edit: After looking at your screenshot i believe the abilities are still listed in that screen when this happens, just greyed out. So this probably isn't it.

Not sure if this is what happened to you, but this is sort of what happens when you take too much damage. You'll lose one ability each time your health bar drains in battle. You need to visit a number of the "save stations" to be able to use them again.

Yeah, I attached an image to my original post to better show what I am talking about, it's strange, I don't know if I am being dumb and there is something I am missing.

Had my first crash on an OVC station, froze when it said that the OVC was corrupt and then i couldnt get out lol Thinking back on it maybe the crash was part of the game

Gotta say, this game is weird.

The story is handled pretty awfully to me. It don't mind a Bioshock Infinite, where it's not forthcoming about what's going on, but the writing in this is just so dense, and has such a small amount of clarity I am struggling to glean much from it. And then, when I look at the fundamentals of the story, I dunno, it's just not a massively exciting premise anyway , in fact it is VERY Bioshock in that sense.

And then the fricking decision to dock you abilities when you deplete your health bar. No. Just no. Why, when I am struggling do you decide to limit my options even further? And in the very least, why is dash counted as an ability in that? If you lose Jaunt() then you're a lost cause in most situations. Don't get me wrong, it's not a death knell, but the fact you have to go into the next battle (for the most part) with a limited palette of abilities is just plain shit.

Also, the games menus are horribly busy and make the job of deciphering the systems quite a chore too.

But I've loved the voice acting, the art direction is superb, as well as the execution, and I LOVE the moment-to-moment combat. It is really satisfying, especially with the strategic mode.

PS4 Peeps:

Rolling with speaker, or no speaker? Maybe you're even playing with headphones instead?

I usually play with headphones, but that cancels out the speaker... so I'm playing with the voice coming from the speaker, and it's really awesome. Really smart idea, considering it mimics Red and the Sword with you and the controller.

Mesoian

I'll say this much.

I HATE HATE HATE the fact that there's no block. Especially now in new game plus where normal enemies can grab you from across the screen and essentially kill you in less than a second. There are too many areas with mutators on where you get fucked over because you can't defend yourself.

Welp, just had a battle that wouldn't end which is a real mood-killer. It happened in
the area you return to after taking your bike again,
specifically the battle
against the two "hair" guys that summon horrible, exploding mutts.
I killed everything in the area but the battle never ended; I could never leave the battlebox. After a minute of confusion, frustration, and annoyance I just quit the game.

I'll try again tomorrow, and hopefully this won't happen again.

Aside from this bug, the game has been OK. Oddly, I think the parts of gameplay I enjoy the most happen in the beach.

Grief.exe

Just started watching the Rev3 Transistor review.

She is just stacking Crash() 5 or 6 times on one enemy, then claims there is a lack of combat balance.

iQy0CX1aqq8KL.gif

Skilletor

With all these complaints over the start/stop nature of the combat, it seems like the game should have been more obvious about the fact that you can keep fighting while your bar is recharging if you attach Jaunt to another ability ("Jaunt enables you to use most Functions during Turn recovery.").

People just don't read or experiment. This shit right here is why we're subjected to tutorials all the fucking time.

Just started watching the Rev3 Transistor review.

She is just stacking Crash() 5 or 6 times on one enemy, then claims there is a lack of combat balance.

iQy0CX1aqq8KL.gif

Well, she's not wrong. She's lacking in combat balance.

Anyways, it's very clever of Super Giant to tie lore unlocks to the ability loadout, to encourage experimentation.

Kudos, your cunning plan paid off (in my case).

Mesoian

Yeah man, I don't know. In Bastion, when you play with idols, it feels like a challenge, in transistor, when you play with limiters, it feels like the game is fucking you over.

First encounter in NG+ after you meet the first Jerk, they put in TWO MORE JERKS, 6 bad cells and 3 of the tripod guys.

Fuck that. I die in less than 2 seconds. The high level gameplay here just isn't as well done as it was in Bastion. In Bastion it felt fair, here it feels cheap.

Vire

Yeah man, I don't know. In Bastion, when you play with idols, it feels like a challenge, in transistor, when you play with limiters, it feels like the game is fucking you over.

First encounter in NG+ after you meet the first Jerk, they put in TWO MORE JERKS, 6 bad cells and 3 of the tripod guys.

Fuck that. I die in less than 2 seconds. The high level gameplay here just isn't as well done as it was in Bastion. In Bastion it felt fair, here it feels cheap.

I kinda agree. I turned on all the limiters just for shits and giggles and I'm not sure how you really handle the shielded cells. Especially if you use a full turn...

Was more frustrating than fun.

PS4 Peeps:

Rolling with speaker, or no speaker? Maybe you're even playing with headphones instead?

I usually play with headphones, but that cancels out the speaker... so I'm playing with the voice coming from the speaker, and it's really awesome. Really smart idea, considering it mimics Red and the Sword with you and the controller.
Team speaker on. It just sounds so awesome.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The beginning of "Interlace" and a lot of background of the song totally evokes memories of the awesome Portal 2 OST.

Grief.exe

I'll say this much.

I HATE HATE HATE the fact that there's no block. Especially now in new game plus where normal enemies can grab you from across the screen and essentially kill you in less than a second. There are too many areas with mutators on where you get fucked over because you can't defend yourself.

I feel like Jaunt() is a requirement in NG+ with limiters in order to mitigate damage. I just cannot beat encounters without it.

Try Jaunt() + Purge() or Jaunt() + Purge() + Mask()

When you teleport, launches out a projectile that poisons and slows enemies.

Anyways, it's very clever of Super Giant to tie lore unlocks to the ability loadout, to encourage experimentation.

I like that to.

They reward you for mixing up the combat with both achievements and more story. The goal being to encourage people to try out new abilities to find fun and powerful ways of tackling the combat.

to everyone saying they can't live without jaunt, i feel like i couldn't live without jaunt bolted onto crash. i think that's a pretty good demonstration of the combat system's flexibility.

Grief.exe

to everyone saying they can't live without jaunt, i feel like i couldn't live without jaunt bolted onto crash. i think that's a pretty good demonstration of the combat system's flexibility.

That's a really good combo for an offensive minded tactic, even works defensively to stun foes while you are recharging.

Zeliard

Try verifying cache and disabling Steam overlay.

Already did so, and tried reinstalling the prerequesites manually (basically the stuff listed here), and it crashed twice more prior to the first save point.

Guess it's basically unplayable for me right now. Shame too because I was really enjoying what little of it I was able to actually play.

Mesoian

I feel like Jaunt() is a requirement in NG+ with limiters in order to mitigate damage. I just cannot beat encounters without it.

Try Jaunt() + Purge() or Jaunt() + Purge() + Mask()

When you teleport, launches out a projectile that poisons and slows enemies.

I like that to.

They reward you for mixing up the combat with both achievements and more story. The goal being to encourage people to try out new abilities to find fun and powerful ways of tackling the combat.

I have Jaunt + Purge + Shot, which gives you basically unlimited jaunt that shoots out poison balls whether you're charged or not at all times. It's not enough, especially now that all enemies have Cull. It would probably be fine if Jaunt didn't have a fat cooldown timer at the end of it.

And I think that's the big problem with the game. Once you decide that it's time to step up the difficulty, the core mechanics of the game stay at this very rudimentary level. I would love to use Help more often, but the start up for it is now so long that I will DIE before Luna comes out. So there's no point in using it anymore.

Grief.exe

Already did so, and tried reinstalling the prerequesites manually (basically the stuff listed here), and it crashed twice more prior to the first save point.

Guess it's basically unplayable for me right now. Shame too because I was really enjoying what little of it I was able to actually play.

Try backing up the save and reinstalling the game.

Also, do a clean install of your graphics drivers.

It would probably be fine if Jaunt didn't have a fat cooldown timer at the end of it.

I guess that's the balance, but damn are you rooted in place for a long period of time. I kept expecting an upgrade to reduce the recovery time or allow you to use it faster.

dreamfall

Are there difficulty settings? I'm pretty shit at isometric combat of any form.

Trying to decide PS4 or PC- are there any advantages to either?

Grief.exe

Are there difficulty settings? I'm pretty shit at isometric combat of any form.

Trying to decide PS4 or PC- are there any advantages to either?

You equip various limiters to increase the difficulty. They range from increasing enemy damage and number of enemy spawns to giving them shield abilities and more.

The difference between he two versions is really a toss up. Both run at 1080p/60, the decision comes down to your choice.

PC version has forwards compatibility, M/KB and controller support, and Steam features (In-Home Streaming, Family Share, etc).

PS4 version has Vita remote play and a gimmick where the narrator's voice uses the controllers speaker and light bar for effect.

Oh my god, Void -> Breach is so good. So much damage.

Try
Void()
Cull() + Breach() + Load()

How about: Void + Get to bunch them all up, drop some Spark+Load for explosive damage, then finish with Mask + Switch to make them fight each other while you hide, Jaunt + Purge to stay offensive while you charge up your next Turn? I haven't reached NG+ yet, but this might work. I find Mask + Switch is a great defensive combo.

Permanently A

Well, she's not wrong. She's lacking in combat balance.

Yup, as soon as I realized you had to keep switching up to read their stories I was hooked. Keeps the gameplay fresh too, what a brilliant idea.

I guess that's the balance, but damn are you rooted in place for a long period of time. I kept expecting an upgrade to reduce the recovery time or allow you to use it faster.

Jaunt() with Bounce() gives you a faster cooldown. (At the cost of half the distance)

This game was awesome. Ran through it in about 7 hours. Love active/turn-based style. Totally my cup of tea.

Kurdel

Banned
Just finished the game.

Brilliant.

I love the integration of the music, but I am disappointed we didn't see more like the first boss fight,
with In Circles degenerating into a garbled mess. I am glad I bought the soundtrack edition though, incredible music

This game is gorgeous is every way and I really like it but the intermittent 1-5 second freezes are really bumming me out. Don't think I can play until that's fixed.

Thought I was the only one. It is a bummer.

I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with this game and I was a huge fan of Bastion. Much of the combat system is fairly odd and poorly explained. I'm mashing my way through but I don't really understand much of what I'm doing.

The art and sound is gorgeous though.

Thought I was the only one. It is a bummer.

I was getting freezes the first 2 hours I played, but on a hunch I disconnected from the internet. Suddenly it was smooth as butter.

Just finished the game.

Brilliant.

I love the integration of the music, but I am disappointed we didn't see more like the first boss fight,
with In Circles degenerating into a garbled mess. I am glad I bought the soundtrack edition though, incredible music

Yeah, it was disappointing. I liked the fight against
the Spine
a lot too. Would've liked some more.

I was getting freezes the first 2 hours I played, but on a hunch I disconnected from the internet. Suddenly it was smooth as butter..

Wait, what... How could the game hitch from that? Is it trying to phone home or something?

The only thing I've noticed about the occasional two-second freeze is that it happens more often out in the world, and much less often in backdoor.

Violet_0

Banned
how's the shield (bounce passive) in NG+? For me it was pretty much a must-have as it was the only way to effectively keep your HP up in combination with jaunt and mask. As far as I could tell it can completely absorb the damage of the explosions caused by the last enemy type, on the first playthrough anyway

The game is surprisingly easy if you spend time tinkering around with the combo system. Using Jaunt is also a necessity.

I have mixed feelings about the game. The combat is fun if a little repetitive, the music is decent but not as memorable as Bastion's, and the story is just a mess. It's initially very confusingly presented and ultimately not compelling enough to try to piece together. The talking sword is also surprisingly annoying. I'm starting to wish I could move around without being barraged with half-assed "quips". The lovely art and character design is what is elevating the game for me right now.

With all these complaints over the start/stop nature of the combat, it seems like the game should have been more obvious about the fact that you can keep fighting while your bar is recharging if you attach Jaunt to another ability ("Jaunt enables you to use most Functions during Turn recovery.").

Yea, that may have been a nice thing to hint at when that skill was first acquired, then again it is not much to ask to see what each skill can do by simply reading them yourself. Also I am not sure if that would be enough for some. But yes, jaunt is helpful when paired with something.

Top Bottom