• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor |OT| Super Giant Sword

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I have to agree again, action games aren't always point A to point B. Even Uncharted and Gears of War have side alleys to look for things. Devil May Cry and God of War games have plenty of exploration and secrets. Shouldn't an ARPG also have this?

Exactly, there's nothing. It's a brick in Christmas wrapping. Every single thing that people have said as a positive about this game makes me even less enthused to return to it.

It's suddenly dawning on me that this IS all the game is.

I have to agree again, action games aren't always point A to point B. Even Uncharted and Gears of War have side alleys to look for things. Devil May Cry and God of War games have plenty of exploration and secrets. Shouldn't an ARPG also have this?

This game has a lot of terminals you can access, which fills out the backstory of Cloudbank, as well as different points where you can make an observation and get a couple of lines of dialogue. Sure, there aren't collectible treasures, but one thing Uncharted doesn't have is the ability to order delivery :D

Winter John

And what determines how much a product is worth to you? Indies more specifically.

A number of things. The most important being gameplay, then art style/theme, then replayability/length.

Keeping in mind, that my first post on this subject merely said that £15 for 5hrs seemed to be pushing the envelope a bit. A mod then showed a response from the developer about the game's length which was very reasonable, and gave me a different perspective on it.

Traditionally, at least for us console owners in the U.K, an indie game has been around the £10-£12 mark. That's seems like a good price to me. £15 isn't a bad price, but for that I would be expecting a minimum of around 8 hrs gameplay. That doesn't seem too unreasonable. To others it may seem like I'm an evil miser who must hate games for wanting that, but it's what I'd expect.

As I said in a previous post, what we really need is a better pricing structure for games. I think having a mid tier price point would help a lot of indie devs. I'm sure there will be a few out there who have games they want to develop but don't fit into the AAA or indie category.

Anyway, this is my last word on the subject, I don't want to derail the thread any further than it already has been, so I'm going to go off and buy Transistor.

This game has a lot of terminals you can access, which fills out the backstory of Cloudbank, as well as different points where you can make an observation and get a couple of lines of dialogue. Sure, there aren't collectible treasures, but one thing Uncharted doesn't have is the ability to order delivery :D

Yes I understand it has that, but my comments and the other posters comments were not on plot, story, world, etc. Simply a comment on level design.

Wunder

Game seems to be locking up a lot in the challenge rooms. 3rd time I've had to restart and lose my progress. Might just come back to it later.

kubus

After playing this for a few hours (not at the end yet, probably close) I am still conflicted on how I feel about this game.

I want to love it but it feels like I would be lying to myself. Maybe I just suck but the combat is boring or frustrating, the story doesn't seem that interesting to me and I was disappointed that the dialogue/narrator is basically the same as Bastion, except they didn't pull it off as well to me.

That said, the game is starting to grow on me and i'm getting better at the combat, but I'm afraid the end is nearing... I hope theres still enough left to win me over.

I loved Bastion btw, completed it 100%, bought three copies of the soundtrack and have a signed art print on the wall.

Back to the game now. Hopefully I'll return to this thread as a Transistor-fan!

Violet_0

Banned
Exactly, there's nothing. It's a brick in Christmas wrapping. Every single thing that people have said as a positive about this game makes me even less enthused to return to it.

that is correct. In that sense, it isn't much different from their last game Bastion. I was rather glad when I reached the end of the game because the non-stop combat got rather tiresome for me as well. The main draw of this game, aside from the combat system, is the story and the "narrator". I quite enjoyed the whole experience but Transistor probably won't cut my goty list this year

The people that complain about these things generally aren't indie consumers anyways.

They want a bloated, oversimplified, AAA game with a massive marketing push.

I gotta agree with this. I'm sort of now wondering if these people even played Bastion as that game largely amounted to hub world with very linear levels and extra challenges. Replayability was everything as the combat was very fun and the game had at least two endings you could do.

Ok, I went back and played for another 15 minutes and find it extremely annoying and boring. From what I've read so far from other users, it appears as if the only draw for this game is adding abilities and that's just not good enough for me. This is how it makes me feel: go from box (a) fight, go to box (b) fight, go to box (c) fight and so forth. Prettying the boxes up doesn't change them. I really can't stand this repetition any more.

Don't take this the wrong way, but maybe you should've researched the game more before purchasing it? I'm sure reviews and walkthroughs could've let you know what the game was about. Did you play Bastion? The game was basically a 'go from A to B' with the difference that the hub world (in Transistor it'd be like the beach) was the main area and you could choose where to go. But every level was a hallway where the combat, dialogue, art, music and story were like 90% of the enjoyment which is what this game is supposed to be. Shame that it's not for you, but I came in expecting pretty much exactly what I expected from the people that gave me Bastion and that's what I got.

I'm glad most are enjoying it though. I'm not even that far and I already know I'm going to buy the soundtrack. Whoever is doing the voice of Red has won me over.

derwalde

After playing this for a few hours (not at the end yet, probably close) I am still conflicted on how I feel about this game.

I want to love it but it feels like I would be lying to myself. Maybe I just suck but the combat is boring or frustrating, the story doesn't seem that interesting to me and I was disappointed that the dialogue/narrator is basically the same as Bastion, except they didn't pull it off as well to me.

That said, the game is starting to grow on me and i'm getting better at the combat, but I'm afraid the end is nearing... I hope theres still enough left to win me over.

I loved Bastion btw, completed it 100%, bought three copies of the soundtrack and have a signed art print on the wall.

thanks for this honest opinion. im on the edge of buying this (i didnt like bastion though) and this kind of post help much more than "ah yes GOTY"

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Don't take this the wrong way, but maybe you should've researched the game more before purchasing it? I'm sure reviews and walkthroughs could've let you know what the game was about. Did you play Bastion? The game was basically a 'go from A to B' with the difference that the hub world (in Transistor it'd be like the beach) was the main area and you could choose where to go. But every level was a hallway where the combat, dialogue, art, music and story were like 90% of the enjoyment which is what this game is supposed to be. Shame that it's not for you, but I came in expecting pretty much exactly what I expected from the people that gave me Bastion and that's what I got.

I'm glad most are enjoying it though. I'm not even that far and I already know I'm going to buy the soundtrack. Whoever is doing the voice of Red has won me over.

I didn't want to spoil the surprise. How was I to know that the 10 minutes of gameplay I allowed myself to see was in fact the entire game? It's not cheap either at £15.

thanks for this honest opinion. im on the edge of buying this (i didnt like bastion though) and this kind of post help much more than "ah yes GOTY"

If you didn't like Bastion let me chime in that this game chances are it isn't for you. On the off-chance that you didn't like Bastion but like tactical gameplay with combination of powers that can give you different results (think RPG-esque) and like female protagonists and/or good soundtracks then maybe there's a chance you'll enjoy it.

I didn't want to spoil the surprise. How was I to know that the 10 minutes of gameplay I allowed myself to see was in fact the entire game?

You weren't supposed to know, but not many indie games I can think of have the whole "forced corridor practice run before letting you out into the big big world" thing. I guess it comes with realistic expectations, which if you hadn't played their previous game would've maybe not helped out as much. I guess it's live and learn?

So I wrote a thing about Transistor, mostly regarding the ending. I'd like to discuss it here, but it would involve a ridiculous amount of spoilers so I'm just going to link it.

In summary:
the ending is really problematic for me despite their attempts to tie it all up with the final sequence, but other than that the writing is top notch and the game does a great job of making you work for your plot. Enjoyed it a bunch, looking forward to New Game +.

I agree 100% with your thoughts on the ending.
Red is a horrible, selfish person. I would have been fine with what she had done if she fixed the city first, but no, she has to be with him right now.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
You weren't supposed to know, but not many indie games I can think of have the whole "forced corridor practice run before letting you out into the big big world" thing. I guess it comes with realistic expectations, which if you hadn't played their previous game would've maybe not helped out as much. I guess it's live and learn?

It's certainly live and learn. I'll not be likely to invest in one of their games again. Games like Brothers or Child of Light bury it in terms of content, charm and imagination.

that is correct. In that sense, it isn't much different from their last game Bastion.

Disagree. Bastion had lots of side paths with secrets to find (like upgrades). You also chose what to upgrade and unlock. It does have a lot of combat like any action RPG, but to me that is not the issue here. It's how the combat scenarios are presented within this linear level design. It reminds me of those rooms in Bayonetta or DMC where you can't proceed until you clear out the enemies in the room, except the entire "game" part of the experience is just these rooms. It's a lot like some budget action games such as the Onechanbara series.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Haven't played the game to be fair but from watching the GB Quick Look, the narration seems really bad to me. I loved it in Bastion, but in this game he seems to be holding himself back. Like every sentence he just kind of fizzles out at the end. Almost as if he doesn't want his voice to be recognized. But it's not actually different enough to be distinct.

I'll still play the game, just struck me while watching.

Don't take this the wrong way, but maybe you should've researched the game more before purchasing it? I'm sure reviews and walkthroughs could've let you know what the game was about. Did you play Bastion?

Why is this relevant? He's allowed to discuss his critiques of the game regardless of previous experiences. I played Bastion and consider it one of my top 10 games of that gen and I like this game, but am able to speak about its strengths and weaknesses.

camaropilot

5 hours is a perfect length for me but $20 isn't a good price. I'll wait for a sale to pick this up since I don't have anytime to finish what I have now. I really do want this game though.

It's certainly live and learn. I'll not be likely to invest in one of their games again. Games like Brothers or Child of Light bury it in terms of content, charm and imagination.

Well that's where opinions will differ because for me Child of Light was a waste of money because everything was just straightforward and simplistic with the plot and the combat was ok at best. Brothers I loved but its gimmick was the joystick thing, though the story once you get past the first major area becomes its highlight.

I think many here will agree that in terms of charm and imagination this game has plenty. It has beautiful art, a great soundtrack, an arguably very fun combat system, an interesting setting, and charm as well.

It's all subjective of course but considering the game currently has an 85 on Metacritic and Bastion had an 86, it can be argued that the game by this studio are way more loved than they are disliked. I'm sure other people dislike mostly well liked games but the way you're stating it makes it seem like it's fact almost that the game lacks charm and imagination.

Why is this relevant? He's allowed to discuss his critiques of the game regardless of previous experiences. I played Bastion and consider it one of my top 10 games of that gen and I like this game, but am able to speak about its strengths and weaknesses.

It was relevant because his specific complaints could also be observed in Bastion? It wasn't dick-sizing if that's how you read it as. You mention Bastion had side-rooms but they weren't that big. The game largely was go from A to B when you started a level. This game is lacking on side content sure, but it's not like the difference was so astounding. If the game had a HUB world it wouldn't be much different from the hallway design of Bastion.

Lunzio

5 hours is a perfect length for me but $20 isn't a good price. I'll wait for a sale to pick this up since I don't have anytime to finish what I have now. I really do want this game though.

I think saying it is 5 hours really undersells this game though. I'd say it's 5 hours if you absolutely b-line to the end of it.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Well that's where opinions will differ because for me Child of Light was a waste of money because everything was just straightforward and simplistic with the plot and the combat was ok at best. Brothers I loved but its gimmick was the joystick thing, though the story once you get past the first major area becomes its highlight.

I think many here will agree that in terms of charm and imagination this game has plenty. It has beautiful art, a great soundtrack, an arguably very fun combat system, an interesting setting, and charm as well.

It's all subjective of course but considering the game currently has an 85 on Metacritic and Bastion had an 86, it can be argued that the game by this studio are way more loved than they are disliked. I'm sure other people dislike mostly well liked games but the way you're stating it makes it seem like it's fact almost that the game lacks charm and imagination.

Oh shut up! You're annoying me with your reasonableness.

:)

Haha. I'm more than willing to listen to complaints and argue them. Personally I probably will stop here until I play more of the game and/or beat its first run. Somebody who is further can probably provide better insight. I like GAF cause even though opinions tend to largely be positive on a game's OT, negative opinions are welcome and are discussed. Which I assume is what the person wanted.

It was relevant because his specific complaints could also be observed in Bastion? It wasn't dick-sizing if that's how you read it as. You mention Bastion had side-rooms but they weren't that big. The game largely was go from A to B when you started a level. This game is lacking on side content sure, but it's not like the difference was so astounding. If the game had a HUB world it wouldn't be much different from the hallway design of Bastion.

I didn't think you were dick-sizing. I meant this is a new game and new IP, there shouldn't be a need to reference previous works in a critique of this game.

You're right the side stuff wasn't that big, but it was there. It helped break the monotony. However, you shouldn't expect bad level design because the studio's previous title didn't have the most inspired design. It shouldn't even be part of the conversation or used as any sort of an excuse in a critique of a new IP. It's not like it's Michael Bay and someone complains about how Transformers 3 is all CG and explosions. There I could totally accept "Well what'd you expect?" as a response :)

Well if we're gonna go there then in other media it kind of works though doesn't it? If I'm going in to watch a Martin Scorsese movie I can expect certain things, which all largely boil down to "every movie he mas made I've loved". With Michael Bay I can expect "every movie he has made besides Pain and Gain I've found meh". With book authors it's even more obvious because there tends to be similarities with their writing style. If you dislike George RR Martin's simplicity in writing it won't be better if you read another novel outside of the Song of Ice and Fire series.

I'm grasping at straws in this argument though, you just reminded me of robot grandpa in Transformers and I had to mention how much I dislike Michael Bay films.

Trey

Are those other players you see running around every now and then like in Dark Souls?

I don't think so. I think it's more of guide effect to tell you what the "right" path is.

I'm four hours in - the combat system has really opened up.

I might like this more than Bastion. I might cry.

Losing an ability every time your life bar depletes is annoying as hell. I'd rather just be dropped back at a save spot.

I dislike that too. Easily remedied by going to the start menu and selecting 'retry'. That takes you right back to your last save, which is more than likely right before the fight you were in.

NeoRausch

OK, I want something new on my PS4, but I can't figure out if I want Transistor or not. What games do I need to like to enjoy this game?

partime

I just purchased this online,
Can't wait to play it tonight, the preview looks really cool.

LOVE the art direction.

Well if we're gonna go there then in other media it kind of works though doesn't it? If I'm going in to watch a Martin Scorsese movie I can expect certain things, which all largely boil down to "every movie he mas made I've loved". With Michael Bay I can expect "every movie he has made besides Pain and Gain I've found meh". With book authors it's even more obvious because there tends to be similarities with their writing style. If you dislike George RR Martin's simplicity in writing it won't be better if you read another novel outside of the Song of Ice and Fire series.

I'm grasping at straws in this argument though, you just reminded me of robot grandpa in Transformers and I had to mention how much I dislike Michael Bay films.

This is SGG's second game though. There is no pattern to expect. Game design is also something distinct to this medium and can differ wildly between games even games in a series (just look at Dead Space).

OK, I want something new on my PS4, but I can't figure out if I want Transistor or not. What games do I need to like to enjoy this game?

Bastion- This is your best bet. The game follows largely similar mechanics and its presentation is basically the same, not to mention made by the same studio.

Bioware titles/Strategy titles- I mention this because the game has a combat mechanics you basically have to use to survive where you freeze time and plan your next couple of moves and movements. If you want to largely fight in real time it's possible but you'll probably get obliterated imho.

Games with good Sountracks- If you're an audiophile or simply like good music, this game has a fantastic soundtrack. So once again I guess Bastion and say Hotline Miami, both were indie games with amazing soundtracks.

Micromanagement- A large part of the enjoyment of the game (pretty visuals, soundtracks and combat aside) is combining powers to find out what fits your playstyle best. This is all choice and the combinations are wildly different and could make an encounter much easier or harder. So I guess strategy/RTS games where you have to plan and strategize?

Ferrio

Banned
Mind was kinda blown when I realized the modifications I was picking up were their own skills too. Thankfully I lost two skills in a fight or I would of taken longer to figure that out.

Wunder

Just finished the game, clocking in at about 6 hours. Pretty damn good I must say, the combat really surprised me with the level of depth that one can reach and the intricacies in the combo system. Although Crash() is pretty invaluable, the other skills can be mixed and matched to create a variety of play styles.

Question about the story near the end:
What happened to the second Spine? Did it just disappear or something?

Overall a very satisfying experience and I'm looking forward to jumping into NG+. I didn't get into Bastion's NG+ too much so if people could fill me in that would be great, but I felt that the combat there was too rigid to be able to 'skillfully' complete it with all the limiters up. It feels like a similar situation here where there are too many random variables to take into account and one unlucky move could cost you.

Wow. Haven't paid a ton of attention to Transistor because I thought Bastion was pretty mediocre. Sounds like this game won't float my boat, either.

Jindrael

Banned
I think saying it is 5 hours really undersells this game though. I'd say it's 5 hours if you absolutely b-line to the end of it.

Steam says I have played Transistor for 5 hours right now, I'm standing before the
Firewall with Asher?Grant? behind it

I haven't been afk or anything while the game was running, I read all the function details, did all the challenges available to me and did a bit of testing in the practice room.
If the game doesn't end in the next 10 minutes for me, saying the game is 5 hours long is really undersellign the game.

Now for my 5 hours-in "review", I really LOVE the art, sound, theme and world.
In theory I should really like the gameplay aswell and I actually do but there are some things that bother me.

One thing that really bothers me is that the only "dodge" is a function aswell, Jaunt is too important for me to ever drop it, leaving me with only 3 slots.
The gameplay is in general a bit too heavy/slow for me in the real-time mode, leaving me with planning-mode most of the time, but I really don't mind that much, I just had to readjust my expectations/playstyle a bit.
I'm now treating it more like a strategy game and that way it really like it.
Planting a load() into two crash() from different angles to catapult it over the field into the enemies or using Get() to set up backsteps in the planing-mode is just fantastic to me.

The whole programming/matrix theme is fantastic and leaves me with a lot of questions that hopefully get answered by the end of the game.
I keep wondering what the gameworld actually is and how this "world" came to be.

Soundwise I actually was sceptic before I bought the game, Bastion was my OST for that year and I didn't bought the soundtrack of Transistor at the start because I wasn't sure that the songs would be as good again.
Well, I can't say that it trumps Bastion for me but it's really good and I just now bought the OST.

The narrative is different from Bastion in a lot of ways, while in Bastion the narrator was someone who you didn't have a connection with from the beginning and was more of a "campfire-storytime" way.
Transistor puts the "narrator" a lot more close to the player this time, the narrator is an actual "person" with it's own view on the story and things that happen around you.
I actually like Bastions way a bit more but I can't say that the Transistor way is bad or wrong it's just different but it still fits the game good.

All in all, I'm really satisfied with my purchase so far and I don't think it will change that much, the game would really need to go downhill from here to change my mind that much.

Macmanus

He's allowed to discuss his critiques of the game regardless of previous experiences. I

Who said he wasn't?

I'm uncertain why this thread has spawned bizarre aggression on both side's of the fence. I think it's pretty clear that this is a game that clicks with you or doesn't - not dissimilar to Bastion.

Zafir

Just completed it, took just over 6 hours, and that's doing every challenge I could. I dunno whether I accidentally missed a backdoor, or the other challenges don't unlock till NG+ though as I wasn't able to do all of them doors were just locked at the last one I came across. Either way I did thoroughly enjoy it. I'm of two minds with the ending but apart from that really enjoyable. Definitely worth /£15.

Hyunickel

Neo Member
I agree 100% with your thoughts on the ending.
Red is a horrible, selfish person. I would have been fine with what she had done if she fixed the city first, but no, she has to be with him right now.

I totally agree. I was quite surprised she when was like "Nope. Not gonna bother, I'll just go to the country with my husband/lover."

Who said he wasn't?

I'm uncertain why this thread has spawned bizarre aggression on both side's of the fence. I think it's pretty clear that this is a game that clicks with you or doesn't - not dissimilar to Bastion.

You misinterpreted this sentence and took it out of context. I would just let it go, but I can't ignore the green highlight!

I'm like this as well. I got it towards the end in Bastion, but couldn't do it no more. It felt like I was forcing myself to play. The presentation and music is what kept me, not the the overall experience of the game.

I only got to try out the game for a few minutes last night, but I thought it was unusual in that there was no main menu - the game just showed me an initial progress bar before starting me at the point where the narrator asked me to pull the sword out.

Just wanted to double-check that this is by design. Hell, I didn't even think that console certs allowed for that. No intro, no text, no nothing. Just "hey, pull" and here we go.

What little I got to see was really well done though - amazing music, beautiful visuals and flowing animation. Looking forward to digging deeper into this over the weekend.

Nyx

Played the game till after the first boss.

Loving it so far, it looks awesome and had me intrigued from the start. The combat is just as I hoped it would be and the new functions so far have spiced it up already.

Looking forward to more.

Grief.exe

I only got to try out the game for a few minutes last night, but I thought it was unusual in that there was no main menu - the game just showed me an initial progress bar before starting me at the point where the narrator asked me to pull the sword out.

Just wanted to double-check that this is by design. Hell, I didn't even think that console certs allowed for that. No intro, no text, no nothing. Just "hey, pull" and here we go.

What little I got to see was really well done though - amazing music, beautiful visuals and flowing animation. Looking forward to digging deeper into this over the weekend.

As intended.

Violet_0

Banned
I totally agree. I was quite surprised she when was like "Nope. Not gonna bother, I'll just go to the country with my husband/lover."

the impression that I got is that while Red acquired the ability to shape and rebuild the city with her will there wasn't actually anyone left alive by the end, and all she really wanted is to be reunited with her friend. I thought it was a rather interesting subversion of expectations

Top Bottom