• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor |OT| Super Giant Sword

AEREC

Getting massive stuttering after the most recent patch...game pauses for a few seconds at a time.

Restarted Steam in offline mode and the game plays perfectly.

jmood88

how's the shield (bounce passive) in NG+? For me it was pretty much a must-have as it was the only way to effectively keep your HP up in combination with jaunt and mask. As far as I could tell it can completely absorb the damage of the explosions caused by the last enemy type, on the first playthrough anyway

I haven't tried it yet but the shield never did much of anything during my first playthrough.

In other news, Jaunt + Purge + the orb power = destruction.

Mikey Jr.

Only thing I don't like is the "random" factor thats in the battle.

For instance, in one of the practice modes where you have to defeat the enemies in a certain time period.

I think its round 2, but anyways, 4 worms spawn on each side of you. So I use the breach? ability, and it says all 4 will get hit and die.

So I activate it, and 3 get hit, but one doesn't for some reason.

Fucks up my entire battleflow and kinda pisses me off when that happens. Even more so because those worms dont move when hit.

Or it'll say that this enemy WILL die. But then I use the turn, and he didn't die. They still have HP left.

I don't understand that.

Nursezero

PS4 Peeps:

Rolling with speaker, or no speaker? Maybe you're even playing with headphones instead?

I usually play with headphones, but that cancels out the speaker... so I'm playing with the voice coming from the speaker, and it's really awesome. Really smart idea, considering it mimics Red and the Sword with you and the controller.

I usually rock headphones to listen to sound track and effects, but I really enjoy the voice coming from the speaker.

Ken

Only thing I don't like is the "random" factor thats in the battle.

For instance, in one of the practice modes where you have to defeat the enemies in a certain time period.

I think its round 2, but anyways, 4 worms spawn on each side of you. So I use the breach? ability, and it says all 4 will get hit and die.

So I activate it, and 3 get hit, but one doesn't for some reason.

Fucks up my entire battleflow and kinda pisses me off when that happens. Even more so because those worms dont move when hit.

Or it'll say that this enemy WILL die. But then I use the turn, and he didn't die. They still have HP left.

I don't understand that.

for the projectile move you can see what targets get hit when aiming it in turn()

Shiokazu

so... this game only got one ending?

the one i got was sad :(

btw, the ending teached me a lesson

Power gets out of control, sooner or latter.

Oh one nice thing about the audio, that is an insane level of detail. In a 5.1 audio system environment with the voice coming out of the speaker of the controller, you can hear a bit of the voice echo through the sound system almost like a reverb effect. It is crazy that audio detail is there, and I know most don't have the set up to appreciate it, but I for one am glad.
Really loving the game so far. Kind of iffy on the Limiters, I have been using them, but they seem more of a nuisance than a challenge. Even with 3-4 stacked the bonus payout is not substantial enough to offset the frustration of enemies attacking stronger and turning into two protected cells, and screw taking a memory cap hit. Is there anything to be gained from them other than to be the master of your own difficulty?

Shiokazu

Oh one nice thing about the audio, that is an insane level of detail. In a 5.1 audio system environment with the voice coming out of the speaker of the controller, you can hear a bit of the voice echo through the sound system almost like a reverb effect. It is crazy that audio detail is there, and I know most don't have the set up to appreciate it, but I for one am glad.
Really loving the game so far. Kind of iffy on the Limiters, I have been using them, but they seem more of a nuisance than a challenge. Even with 3-4 stacked the bonus payout is not substantial enough to offset the frustration of enemies attacking stronger and turning into two protected cells, and screw taking a memory cap hit. Is there anything to be gained from them other than to be the master of your own difficulty?

information about the process? if you're into reading the files. the limters give you insight about the processes they represent.

Well, there is an achievement for NG+, so it wouldn't surprise me if there is more to the story.

i hope so, well see soon enough.

Meia

Getting massive stuttering after the most recent patch...game pauses for a few seconds at a time.

Thought I was having the same thing, but the game just keeps stuttering instead(like 5fps).

Did what you did in hoping it'd fix it since I'm 6 damn hours into it, but nope, still borked.

It is AWESOME to have a perfectly working game get an update that makes it just stop working. :\

newsguy

So beat it. Anyone care to tell me
wtf the story was about? So I get that there were people with power trying for positive change and it got out of control. But what's with the end where you fight the guy out in the country? The whole time I was trying to read into the story and what it was saying about society, but really it just felt like a Sci Fi storyline with the whole electronic hook.

Really? I haven't tried that combination before.
Yeah it works better in real time than Turn() because it's more control based than pure damage output, but it sucks enemies in and then explodes in a radius. Actually, Crash with Cull and Get might be interesting, I'll have to try that later.

Gaz_RB

wtf the story was about? So I get that there were people with power trying for positive change and it got out of control. But what's with the end where you fight the guy out in the country? The whole time I was trying to read into the story and what it was saying about society, but really it just felt like a Sci Fi storyline with the whole electronic hook.

My interpretation was that the battle was inside the Transistor. Whoever won got to go outside with the true Transistor. My evidence for this is that when Red kills herself, we see a scene of her and her boy toy in that same countryside, which I can only assume is inside the Transistor!

With all these complaints over the start/stop nature of the combat, it seems like the game should have been more obvious about the fact that you can keep fighting while your bar is recharging if you attach Jaunt to another ability ("Jaunt enables you to use most Functions during Turn recovery.").

I figured this out because WAVE DASH > boring walking, but for me it shines a very ugly light on how telltorial the first hour is. Bastion's early part built up what actually existed, but this one is more open so you get TOLD what to do but not WHY, rendering it worthless with such a How/Why game. A huge waste of the voice over, too.

Jachaos

I just realized what this game is reminding me of.

Megaman Battle Network.

I mean not completely, but I realized I loved this type of combat elsewhere and that's where it was. Pattern recognition, strategy and reflexes, many enemies in an arena, waiting for a bar to charge and fighting by other means in the meantime, customizing your character and creating attack combos...

The fact it feels like one of my favourite games of all time as far as combat goes while also having many differences to it, and that the game has a great art style and soundtrack and voice acting and story (when you begin understanding it eventually)... yeah it's a great game.

Wait, what... How could the game hitch from that? Is it trying to phone home or something?

The only thing I've noticed about the occasional two-second freeze is that it happens more often out in the world, and much less often in backdoor.

I have no clue. But I'm going through new game + and areas that hitched don't now.

Yup. No clue

Ivieto

Banned

What I get is that the functions are the people that are trapped inside the transistor, or that the user of the transistor can use. The transistor was described as a paintbrush often, so I would think they give it its power. The country is pretty clearly metaphor for death, but also appears to be the state the people in the transistor live the rest of their lives. The story at one points insinuates that all the people inside the Transistor are constantly speaking, but Red is only able to listen to him because of the connection they shared.

Cocaloch

Anyone have some tips for speed test 6?

That one is a doozy.

I did it in a couple of tries by just running around spamming the second ability whenever I had a turn.

On a completely unrelated note, I just finished the game, and I've got to say it was a fantastic ride. Supergiant managed to outdo Bastion with this one.

Capella

I've only gotten past the first boss but right now I'm loving what I'm playing. So far the only thing I can say about the combat is that it's very interesting. I'm still trying to get a feel for it but I do like the amount of skill customization there is right now and I can't wait to pick up skills so I can experiment some more.

Anyone know how to restart the game from the beginning? I wanted to start fresh with the GF watching.
I saw that this was already answered but you can do this in game as well. Just pause then settings>profile>reset progress.

I just realized what this game is reminding me of.

Megaman Battle Network.

I mean not completely, but I realized I loved this type of combat elsewhere and that's where it was. Pattern recognition, strategy and reflexes, many enemies in an arena, waiting for a bar to charge and fighting by other means in the meantime, customizing your character and creating attack combos...

The fact it feels like one of my favourite games of all time as far as combat goes while also having many differences to it, and that the game has a great art style and soundtrack and voice acting and story (when you begin understanding it eventually)... yeah it's a great game.

Maybe this is why I like it so much? MMBN was one of my favorite series, and now that you mention it this does have some of that same feeling of planning, executing, and then making do while you wait for your next turn.

Stoze

Played a little over an hour so far, the soundtrack and art are absolutely incredible. Gameplay still hasn't really clicked with me yet, they introduced new functions incredibly fast so it's been hard for me to nail down a play style I like. Didn't like how the game started story wise, and still not too sure what happened, but once it let me read the character descriptions the exposition started getting more interesting.

One thing I want to ask; can you ever really backtrack? I came across an area where I could go up to an amphitheater area, or go through a channel area. I chose the channel, fought some guys and hit an access point. Now I can't go back and check out the amphitheater area. Can I never go back and check that area? If not that shit is really going to bug me.

Violet_0

Banned
the most confusing part about the story to me:
why did the functions even appear? I get that they were 'collecting' important and influential personalities for the transistor, but this is never really explained in the game . Also, why the hell would you toss this thing around just like that, Grant

Grief.exe

Hm so I guess PS4 is the best way to play this judging from the previous posts?

There are a few technical issues with the PC version currently, but don't let that dissuade you.

Supergiant has already issues a few patches and seems to be committed to perfecting the PC version.

the most confusing part about the story to me:
why did the functions even appear? I get that they were 'collecting' important and influential personalities for the transistor, but this is never really explained in the game . Also, why the hell would you toss this thing around just like that, Grant

The Camarata are killing off influential and powerful people around Cloudbank to further their needs. Killing them with the Transistor only increases its power.

Vire

Just beat all the tests! Gold trophy acquired. :D

Man, those performance tests were a doozy. Really enjoyed that stuff though.

Tan

Recursion Mode SPOILERS:

I just started recursion mode so I don't know if there are other changes or it's already been discussed but a friend just pointed out to me that the opening is a little different! The "Hey Red, we're not gonna get away with this are we?" is spoken by Royce, rather than Red's mystery man (Logan). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUHL2phd6VI .

Man, I made this game so hard for myself by turning on every limiter I get. I even went for the hardest ones.

As for the end,
I don't know how, but I bugged the boss when I almost died.

I used Get() on him and he stopped doing anything, so I just stood there and kept doing Get(), my last move, until he died.

Man, what a beautiful game with excellent strategy gameplay.

Ephemeris

I love this game so much.

Had high hopes and it surpassed my expectations. Wow. Still not done but I'm sure I'm near the end.

Jachaos

Ok, so finally beat it. Loved the story. You don't understand anything going on at first but it becomes more and more clear as it goes on. Love the credits too. Great ending overall. Amazing game that came out of nowhere for me.

I feel it's a sort of dystopian society where everything is extremely organized. The population can vote on anything and the society will be modelled to that. Maybe they're in a virtual reality, I don't know. Haven't read all about evert character yet. Still, some people wanted to change the society for the better by leading it themselves with the transistor instead of letting the population democratically choose what it wanted. It got out of hand and the use of the transistor made the Process start happening. Is it some safety system, a sort of anti-virus, that responded to someone taking control of the paintbrush or something, there is a lot of stuff still blurry in my mind. But overall, the Transistor is a paintbrush that lets its user(s) paint society how they want it. At the end, Red wants to be with Royce inside the Transistor. I'll replay again to catch all the hints, the meaning of the name Cloudbank, the beach place, the virtual reality lines in the sky at that place, etc.

Violet_0

Banned
So what were the Camerata's motivations?

It wasn't ever clear to me.

paraphrasing: "When everything changes, nothing changes." The people of Cloudbank could manipulate the weather, the color of the sky, their surrounding on a whim. Grant, the (elected?) administrator was deeply concerned about this development so he surrounded himself with like-minded individuals and created the Camerata to 'save' the city, though from what exactly I cannot say

Artanisix

I just beat it.

Absolutely marvelous gem of a game, holy crap. The story was well written and fun to figure out, too. And that last boss? Fantastic. Wish there were more fights like that last boss, that was particularly incredible.

Will definitely be doing another playthrough soon.

Kensuke

Finished the game, I thought it was excellent.

I can't believe some of you guys are using Jaunt as an active function. It's way better as an upgrade (allows use of a Function during Turn recovery). Also, if you are using Crash and Breach to attack you are doing it wrong.

Spark with Jaunt as upgrade will give you a great mid-range option at all times, it can hurt multiple enemies if they're close together. Purge as a second upgrade makes it even better.

The second essential function is Mask. Great for both offense and defense. Use it after Turn and it will easily hold out until your next Turn. Put Ping on it to speed up the cooldown. It's also amazing for offense however. Combo it with a strong skill like Cull or Tap to destroy everything

Aside from those two I use Cull and Void as my main functions. Mask + Voidx3 + Cull x2 = complete annihilation. Easily 2000+ damage. Breach (longer Turn bar) and Bounce (shield) are great as passives, but there are many good options.

Man, just experimenting with the Functions made this game awesome for me.

finalflame

Can someone explain to me why a picture of Red keeps showing up in the middle of my screen during combat?

Also, is there any accurate way to predict enemy movements in Turn() combat?

Having a bit of a learning curve with using the combat system effectively..love the game so far!

ViviOggi

Far Cry 3 notwithstanding, Greg has some good taste in games

YGIczsJ.png

Fixed

Way to go Greg, especially the Dotes.

Wunder

Finished the game, I thought it was excellent.

I can't believe some of you guys are using Jaunt as an active function. It's way better as an upgrade (allows use of a Function during Turn recovery). Also, if you are using Crash and Breach to attack you are doing it wrong.

Spark with Jaunt as upgrade will give you a great mid-range option at all times, it can hurt multiple enemies if they're close together. Purge as a second upgrade makes it even better.

The second essential function is Mask. Great for both offense and defense. Use it after Turn and it will easily hold out until your next Turn. Put Ping on it to speed up the cooldown. It's also amazing for offense however. Combo it with a strong skill like Cull or Tap to destroy everything

Aside from those two I use Cull and Void as my main functions. Mask + Voidx3 + Cull x2 = complete annihilation. Easily 2000+ damage. Breach (longer Turn bar) and Bounce (shield) are great as passives, but there are many good options.

Man, just experimenting with the Functions made this game awesome for me.

Well sure, I think Jaunt or Mask is necessary in almost any skill load out. You need something to de-aggro the mobs because simple movement won't be able to dodge 90% of the attacks the enemies throw out. You can use the environment for a lot of things but that relies on a bit of luck and also you can't really juke out a Fetch.

People who use Jaunt as an upgrade component may find they fall back too much on that one skill just because you can use it all the time. For example if you Crash() + Jaunt() you may end up not dealing a ton of damage because you can't really backstab in real time. That being said, there are definitely a lot of good uses for Jaunt(), and sometimes I wish you could duplicate one or two functions but sadly that's not the case :(

Fou-Lu

So... just finished the game:
Kind of expected that ending, but it I definitely loved the game the whole way through, just as atmospheric and beautiful as Bastion with an incredible soundtrack, but with a much better battle system. Red and Transistor are an awesome couple as far as gaming goes too, especially since she can't even talk. Started Recursion but haven't gotten past the first save point yet, like that you can double up on abilities, does anyone know if there is an alternate ending to the recurse?

Wunder

Grimløck;112956550 said:
spoilers just in case.
try recursion mode.

Ooo shit, thanks! I completed it last night but quit before touching Recursion. Awesome, sounds like you can really make an insane build, which is good because some of the encounters could get really nasty.

Top Bottom