• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor |OT| Super Giant Sword

Only 3 hours long? I was planning on getting it this weekend. Not at that length, though.

It took me like 5-7 hours. It entirely depends on the person. I was taking my time letting the transistor talk, making changes to my powers and planning shit out, and doing the challenge maps the game gives you.

ButchCat

It took me like 5-7 hours. It entirely depends on the person. I was taking my time letting the transistor talk, making changes to my powers and planning shit out, and doing the challenge maps the game gives you.
It took me 8 hours to beat on my first playthrough probably more, I don't know how people managed to beat it under 4 hours and enjoy it.

dralla

Man is a piece of cake but without the right abilities snapshot can be very tedious to beat because it's very evasive, Hostile Cells and Lady are equally annoying.

Fetch's are the worst, but the "Man"..their projectiles take off 80% health, holy hell I was not prepared for that. Luckily I discovered you can hit them back and use them as bombs.

Man, going for the 100% on this game is the most fun I've had actually trying to go for a completionist playthrough. There don't seem to be any arbitrary things you need to do to get all the achievements/trophies. Also, the gameplay works really well around getting all the functions and limiters, as playing with all limiters really forces you to use a good bit of strategy on every fight, and then the fact that to get all the data for each Function's person you have to use each one differently, so I'm consistently switching up my arsenal and then making successful strategies to use considering I have all limiters active, it's really a blast. Not to mention, given how much information the game doesn't tell you outright, going back and putting the pieces together is a cool way to discover the story.

Ducktail

A whole lot shorter than I had expected. Clocked about 5 hours, and I was playing with all limiters I could put.

Despite being short, I can still recommend it, even at that price tag. The story is compelling, the art and graphics are beautiful, and the gameplay is superb. I'm definitely going to continue my new game plus until the day.

Grief.exe

Absolutely correct. The Man is a close second.

Fetch's are the worst, but the "Man"..their projectiles take off 80% health, holy hell I was not prepared for that. Luckily I discovered you can hit them back and use them as bombs.

Having a Ranged attack attached to Jaunt essentially negates The Man.

I do admit, when they first started showing up in groups I struggled to take them out as I was heavily focused on grouping targets up for massive melee damage.

Any tips on the Risk() trophy? It's the one about completing five encounters with all 10 limiters on, should I just do it as soon as possible or wait? I have 32 MEM, think that may be the max, so I'm thinking it would be best to do it now. Also how do you unlock Process() (inspect all completed limiter files)?

Thanks gaf.

Wunder

Those guys are probably the most annoying, only because if you Turn() at the wrong time you waste it because they go in and out of stealth.

Zia

Only 3 hours long? I was planning on getting it this weekend. Not at that length, though.

It took me nearly 10 hours. I think I only overloaded three or four functions the entire game (meaning I had very little trouble with any of the battles) and only did a small handful of the challenges. Three hours is blazing through the game.

Ark

It took me 8 hours to beat on my first playthrough probably more, I don't know how people managed to beat it under 4 hours and enjoy it.

It actually took me 4 hours, Steam just hadn't updated. I didn't rush the game, but I didn't bother doing any more than 2 of each of the challenge rooms. Made plenty of changes to my powers, used the turn-mechanics whenever I could, I even used a limiter!

You could easily spend another hour or two in the game if you really took your time.

It took me nearly 10 hours. I think I only overloaded three or four functions the entire game (meaning I had very little trouble with any of the battles) and only did a small handful of the challenges. Three hours is blazing through the game.

How can you spend 10 hours in one playthrough? There's nowhere near enough content for that kind of time, even accounting for skipping the challenges.

Kaldea

I took my time and made sure to do everything I could and it took me around 10 hours in my first playthrough too. Not hard when you enjoy the scenery and music. :D

ButchCat

The projectiles were a problem until I figured I could lure them and lead them back to the source and annihilate them,
Those guys are probably the most annoying, only because if you Turn() at the wrong time you waste it because they go in and out of stealth.

Use Jaunt instead of walking towards targets in plan mode you save half the energy , it changes your whole strategy.

Zomba13

Just got the Plat(). A lot quicker second time through thanks to having a combo of broken functions. Only had all 10 limiters on for the trophy then turned them off. With the combo I had it was trivial either way. Think I will go back through Bastion. I kinda stopped partway through a NG+ run on that going for the other ending so might as well finish it.

Music was mindblowingly good. Especially liked the guitar backing in tracks like Gateless, The Spine and Old Friends. Not sure how to describe it, kinda moody/atmospheric but with a strong beat behind it? Not a very good description but does anyone know of some more artists that have that kind of style?
Hundred Waters - Cavity. Sorta, first thing I thought of. Murmurs and Xtalk are from the same band to give you more of an idea.

I've been struggling recently against the LV3 Fetch and Jerk enemies. Fetch is just way too fast and durable for me to deal with before they tear into my health, and I have no idea how to deal with Jerk3's magnet stuff. Are there any suggestions for that?

For Fetch, I've been primarily using Crash with Jaunt subbed to it so I can instantly hit the Fetches and stun them before they do too much damage, as well as keep them off me during the Turn cooldown, but it's not working out as well as I had hoped. Beyond that, I just try to kill them as fast as I can with Void and that powerful uppercut-slash function.

Grief.exe

I've been struggling recently against the LV3 Fetch and Jerk enemies. Fetch is just way too fast and durable for me to deal with before they tear into my health, and I have no idea how to deal with Jerk3's magnet stuff. Are there any suggestions for that?

For Fetch, I've been primarily using Crash with Jaunt subbed to it so I can instantly hit the Fetches and stun them before they do too much damage, as well as keep them off me during the Turn cooldown, but it's not working out as well as I had hoped. Beyond that, I just try to kill them as fast as I can with Void and that powerful uppercut-slash function.

I really prefer a ranged ability attached with Jaunt to keep them away from me.

Purge() + Breach() + Jaunt() is my favorite. Slows them, applies a DOT effect, strings to other enemies, destroys all shielded cells (one of the limiters). Breach makes it extremely fast and gives it range.

Ping() + Cull() + Jaunt() is another good one, I haven't personally uses it. Ping is a quick firing ability, while Cull throws them into the air to allow you to get away.

Grief.exe

The narrative of Transistor seems to be the classic argument against Democracy.

In the City of Cloudbank, everyone votes on changes. From the color of the sky, to what public works they wish to see built, to taxation rates.

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill

"When everything changes, nothing changes."
-The Camerata

The Camerata sought to take over Cloudbank to leverage change. They thought they would be able to control the direction the city was going in, rather than the people who constantly voted on arbitrary changes.

Mesoian

The narrative of Transistor seems to be the classic argument against Democracy.

In the City of Cloudbank, everyone votes on changes. From the color of the sky, to what public works they wish to see built, to taxation rates.

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill

"When everything changes, nothing changes."
-The Camerata

The Camerata sought to take over Cloudbank to leverage change. They thought they would be able to control the direction the city was going in, rather than the people who constantly voted on arbitrary changes.

But they did so with eccentric personalities, infighting, personal aspirations and, eventually, monsters.

Ryne

I took my time and made sure to do everything I could and it took me around 10 hours in my first playthrough too. Not hard when you enjoy the scenery and music. :D

Clocked in at 6 hours here, I thought I took my time as well. Had fun with the game, no doubt about that.

Any tips on the Risk() trophy? It's the one about completing five encounters with all 10 limiters on, should I just do it as soon as possible or wait? I have 32 MEM, think that may be the max, so I'm thinking it would be best to do it now. Also how do you unlock Process() (inspect all completed limiter files)?

Thanks gaf.

I'd say just do it asap, and try to find a good strategy and loadout to tackle encounters with. After a bit of experimentation, you should be able to find one you like even up against enemies with all limiters on.

And Process is really simply actually, press the button you push to view the data files on the people in the Functions screen ("the triangle button on PS4 and "Y" on 360 gamepad) and view each of them once you have all the limiters unlocked.

demidar

Beat the game, I think I got all the story. Really liked it but I feel it is too short for $20. That said, the combat is wonderful. If I had any gripes with the combat, it would probably be that things were happening too fast while not in Turn(). You'll get whipped around the field by all these explosions and tractor beams and it's sometimes hard to get your bearings or know what's happening and then you die. I also think you should have more built-in defensive capability than just using Jaunt() and Mask(). Though maybe my thoughts are coloured by me going through the game with all the Limiters on. I'll probably try and get through the game on Recursion mode, but I think I've gotten all I can out of the combat system.

Grief.exe

But they did so with eccentric personalities, infighting, personal aspirations and, eventually, monsters.

I'm not saying the ends justified the means.

The attained their power through assassinating important people and through force, in this case the process.

Wiston Churchill also had another interesting quote.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except all the others."

Mikey Jr.

You want to destroy ANY boss in 1 turn?

Shit, destroy fucking any enemy in 1 turn. Its simple.

-First, get void. Void weakens the enemy.
-On void, put a passive of spark. What this does is double's voids effects.

-Secondly, get Cull. The thing is just a flat-out damage fucker.
-On cull, put a passive of mask. This deals more backstab damage.
-Also, put load. Increases the damge, plus gives it a nice area of effect which can hit multiple enemies.

I was killing minibosses like they were fucking nothing. The last boss was a joke.

When you go into turn mode, hit an enemy twice with void. Jaunt behind them, if you have enough turn left, feel free to use breach then cull, if not, just use cull.

Grief.exe

-Also, put load. Increases the damge, plus gives it a nice area of effect which can hit multiple enemies.

I was killing minibosses like they were fucking nothing. The last boss was a joke.

When you go into turn mode, hit an enemy twice with void. Jaunt behind them, if you have enough turn left, feel free to use breach then cull, if not, just use cull.

Tips
  • Add Breech() to Void() to stun and open them up for more damage.
  • Use Mask() as an active to do even more damage before you cull. Becomes somewhat redundant due to the shear amount of damage output.
    I actually prefer Tap() during NG+ and 10 limiters. Similar amount of damage, AOE effect, and life steal. Good for destroying shielded cells.

Tizoc

Overall graphics are great, and the gameplay and combat system is well thought out. I like that they offer you the option of a handicap and the ability to customize your combat options.

Thing is the lifeless world...didn't sit well with me, even though I figure WHY it's so 'lifeless'. I'd still recommend this game as from a gameplay stand point it's well thought out and well done.

Grief.exe

Speed Test 6 is fucking frustrating.

Overall graphics are great,

I wish they had done the art at 4K then downsampled for 1080p. Would have been better from a visual and posterity standpoint.

Many PC gamers downsample and the proliferation of 1080p monitors is going to decrease as we move forward.

Nitpicking, but I would enjoy both downsampling and coming back to this game when I have a 1400p or 4K monitor.

Grief.exe

I did Speed Test 6 on my second try.

I was mostly making it more difficult than it needed to be, just needed to spam planning mode as soon as it was available.

I'm too used to doing everything in real-time now, but Speed Tests need to be completely solely in planning mode as anything else is just wasting the clock.

demidar

I was mostly making it more difficult than it needed to be, just needed to spam planning mode as soon as it was available.

I'm too used to doing everything in real-time now, but Speed Tests need to be completely solely in planning mode as anything else is just wasting the clock.

I also enjoy futzing around in real time, but yeah need that turn() for Speed Tests.

I wish things didn't happen so fast in real time and turn() was treated more like a Limit Break rather than your bread and butter to getting things done.

Duallusion

Platinumed it today.

My favorite function combo was: the one that jumps from enemy to enemy + the charm one that turns them all to your side for five seconds + extra damage.

It hits the sweet spot between offense/defense and was invaluable for the all limiters and challenge room trophies. Coupled with a pure offense combo of choice and you're able to deal with everything the game throws at you.

Great game.

Trey

The limiters in this game that scream "don't play how you want! Don't experiment!" are so terrible. Looking at you, Permanence and Responsibility.

Grief.exe

The limiters in this game that scream "don't play how you want! Don't experiment!" are so terrible. Looking at you, Permanence and Responsibility.

I agree, I completed the NG+ with 8 limiters on. I turned off the ones that limited experimentation, IE reducing your total Memory and no skill changing.
I do see what they are trying to do by reducing your memory though, forces you to make choices.

Yuterald

Thought the game was pretty boring/sleepy up and through the first boss, but as soon as I gained access to those backdoor challenges and activated some limiters, the game feels cool/good now.

Grief.exe

Finished the game completely. Overall, I really enjoyed the surprising depth of the battle system and I have no doubt that this game will be in my top ten of the year.

Uc8l1FM.png

Some criticisms

• No way to view upgrades or passives during gameplay. You can mouse over abilities, why not include passives and upgrades as well?
  • Not enough boss battles. Fighting Sybil and the Spine of the World were some of the most thrilling and memorable experiences of the entire game. I felt like we were robbed of fighting
    Process Grant
    and a second large Process.
  • The pacing could have been better. By the time you have access to a good selection of abilities and Memory to experiment with the battle system, the game is just wrapping up. Supergiant could have paced the game a bit better and allowed us more options earlier in the game.
  • Nitpicking, but I wish the assets had been created in 4K instead of 1080p. Many PC gamers are already downsampling games and, once the monitor industry catches up, many will be moving onto native 1400p/4K shortly.

Spy

After playing this game for a bit I feel like it's a cross between The World Ends with You x Mega Man Battle Network, which is most definitely not a bad thing. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone.

Gator86

Agreed. They are a pretty shitty inclusion considering some of the other cool limiters they could have included. I would actually love dlc for this game. Something like the trials but expanded. It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to put together.

I'm not saying the ends justified the means.

The attained their power through assassinating important people and through force, in this case the process.

Wiston Churchill also had another interesting quote.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except all the others."

They didnt éxactly assesinated their targets, they assimilated to benefit whatever end porpurse they were thinking with the Procces. Most of the Camareta alredy had important positions of power. I don't think is so much a theme about democratic goverment and more about trying to built a Utopia ("give people what they want before they even know it")

Ryuuga

Banned
Does the game slowdown and crash for anyone else when you have multiple purged spawns?

I was in practice testing out a (Crash) (Purge) (Bounce) combination. I pulled in a cluster of spawns, purged them and the game slowed down to a crawl then crashed.

Zakalwe

Banned

Cull + Load + Get
Void + Crash + Spark

You don't need to use Mask, this will kill everything and allow for multiple Culls in a single Turn if you need it.

Top Bottom