• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor |OT| Super Giant Sword

Macmanus

I'm only a few hours deep, but this is honestly the most fun combat system I've explored in an incredibly long time. Like Bastion, something about it just clicks.

Yup. At this point, I use Planning mode when I need to heal, and never otherwise.

I'm really excited to get to that point.

i´m liking the game less than expected wich is a bummer, i don´t like some decisions they took with the storytelling, i don´t like forced mechanics because of it, it seems to me that the power removal thing is a dumb incentive because is tied to forcing you to try something new (wich is okay more or less) and to discover the background of the chars (wich is not okay) , is too convoluted, i like messing with them in the trial levels and the playground, but i don´t like how is implemented in the game, is rubbing me the wrong way pretty badly, the rest of it is amazing, love the looks, the sights and the sounds, beautiful game, but the storytelling devices are driving me insane

Macmanus

Between the PS4 and PC versions, which one should I go for?

There is plenty of positive commentary in this thread about the sound output on the DS4 and solid light bar usage, so that might be a thing. People have also reported issues on PC - but I haven't encountered a problem as of yet as I'm playing it on PC - which also has full controller support.

Zia

Finished last night. This is the first game in some time where I scan the mostly positive reviews and think to myself, "Why so low?" The combat system is so much fun, the aesthetic one of the most cohesive and original in a video game. Period. And I adore the restraint shown in regard to the narrative. I think people are a bit thrown by it, as it's so firmly rooted in genre, and so much of the template for video games storytelling comes from overindulgent, immature genre fiction. Transistor reminded me of a really good sci-fi short story... they built a wonderful world and allowed us to peak inside. So much more sophisticated than Bastion (which is one of my favorite games) and it was genuinely affecting. Might've gotten teary, can't say.

Also, I think this has the best voice acting I have heard in a video game. Logan was so good as the Transistor, but Asher and particularly Royce blew me away.

Love it. A little masterpiece and probably my game of the last few years.

njean777

I just beat the game and enjoyed it, it was pretty interesting. I would like to know what the Camerata were trying to do with the process though? Were they trying to rewrite the city in their ideal image? That is what I inferred from the game.

There is plenty of positive commentary in this thread about the sound output on the DS4 and solid light bar usage, so that might be a thing. People have also reported issues on PC - but I haven't encountered a problem as of yet as I'm playing it on PC - which also has full controller support.

Yeah, everyone been hating on the lightbar, but devs have been thinking of cool ways to use it.

Gaz_RB

Finished last night. This is the first game in some time where I scan the mostly positive reviews and think to myself, "Why so low?" The combat system is so much fun, the aesthetic one of the most cohesive and original in a video game. Period. And I adore the restraint shown in regard to the narrative. I think people are a bit thrown by it, as it's so firmly rooted in genre, and so much of the template for video games storytelling comes from overindulgent, immature genre fiction. Transistor reminded me of a really good sci-fi short story... they built a wonderful world and allowed us to peak inside. So much more sophisticated than Bastion (which is one of my favorite games) and it was genuinely affecting. Might've gotten teary, can't say.

Also, I think this has the best voice acting I have heard in a video game. Logan was so good as the Transistor, but Asher and particularly Royce blew me away.

Yeah Royce's voice acting gave me chills. His manner of speech is just so interesting to listen to.

I also really love Red's voice (that we hear in the music) and I love how integrated the music is with the storyline. I actually think listening to the music's lyrics can shed a lot of light on the plot and the world itself.

Xeroblade

I just started this last night. I got past the first area and it seems promising. I'm sure I will fall in love when I continue further. I also purchased the soundtrack and by golly it sounds awesome but IMO I think its not as rememberable as the Bastion soundtrack. I guess time will tell.

I just started this last night. I got past the first area and it seems promising. I'm sure I will fall in love when I continue further. I also purchased the soundtrack and by golly it sounds awesome but IMO I think its not as rememberable as the Bastion soundtrack. I guess time will tell.

I really like the Bastion soundtrack, but I think Transistor's automatically wins for having far fewer default DAW loops.

I don't think any of the "big key songs" are as monolithic as Build That Wall or I'm Coming Home, but overall I think the soundtrack is stronger.

Vire

I really like the Bastion soundtrack, but I think Transistor's automatically wins for having far fewer default DAW loops.

I don't think any of the "big key songs" are as monolithic as Build That Wall or I'm Coming Home, but overall I think the soundtrack is stronger.

I agree. Overall, I think the soundtrack is better, but I don't think there is anything quite as good as "Build That Wall" in the Transistor soundtrack. Basically, the highs may not be as high, but it's definitely more consistent throughout.

I do get some mad Portishead vibes though from "The Spine" and "Paper Boats".

Dario ff

Banned
If anyone wants the sprites, they are all .bik movie files stored in the Content folder. I'm surprised they rendered so many angles for the main character for every single animation.

f9ikEHz.png

Could make for some neat GIFs.

I'm a decent way in and honestly...this game isnt doing much for me. The combat system isn't bad, but not great. The lack of dialogue is dissappointing as well. I hate that the sword talks with the corpses or whatever, and we hear none. It all feels too...empty. I might not mind as much if the sword had a more interesting personality, but he doesn't do much for me.

I like Transistor. I just don't love it like I hoped I would.

You summed up how I feel about it. The only part I'm in disagreement in is Royce's voice. He looked like he was in his 20's but sounded like he was in his 60's and I couldn't stand hearing that voice. When I got to him on my second playthrough I just took off my headphones and played the rest in silence.

On top of the voice I got really irritated how he kept repeating himself. These are very minor and nitpicky things so it's not like I think they hold the game down in any way.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Just finished. I'll probably throw up some more substantial thoughts later, but for now I'll say I really enjoyed it but it was too short. And after starting
recursion
it makes me wish that the game
had more Turn() puzzles

Slixshot

Banned
Combat Mechanic Spoilers
Loving the complexity of the combat.
Being able to combine everything is so sick. The UI is intuitive once you understand how to read it and how all of the moves work. It's crazy how all of the attacks can be used as enhancements and passives. So many combos. On top of that, the actual combo system exists which I didn't even realize until the 2nd planning challenge which forced you to defeat one of the baddies (don't remember what they're called) in 1 Turn().
So much hidden depth to discover.

On top of that the story is sick. For some reason I get a Scott Pilgrim vibe from the art and the character plot (maybe it's the musician stuff) and I really enjoy that. Music is out of this world too.

SuperGiant Games seem to be 2 for 2 so far. We will see... I think I've got a ways to go.

BadgerDeluxe

Neo Member
I am LOVING this game! Anyone know if the music used in round 3 of the Sybil fight is on the soundtrack? It's Fly On The Wall but it's like a dirty/creepy electronic version of it and I love it.

Codiox

Just finished the game on my first playthrough.

What a game. This and journey is art imo. Never seen such a good artwork. And a really good twisted story too. The length is also perfect for the story,but seems a little to short for the actual gameplay. I hope we get a sequel in some kind of way.

subwilde

Anyone know why the soundtrack is not available in Spotify US anymore? I bookmarked it for later as I'm going to play the game this weekend but I went to look today and it's gone.

Jomjom

Banned
Has anyone else gotten a new soundtrack download link? Were there new songs added or something? I can't download at work =(

I agree. Overall, I think the soundtrack is better, but I don't think there is anything quite as good as "Build That Wall" in the Transistor soundtrack. Basically, the highs may not be as high, but it's definitely more consistent throughout.

I do get some mad Portishead vibes though from "The Spine" and "Paper Boats".

I like We All Become more than all of the vocalized Bastion songs. And I REALLY liked those songs too.

Gator86

Just got the plat. Fantastic game albeit quite short. The whole package is incredibly original and the small touches, like the voice through the controller, really bring it all together. Hope it gets the sales it deserves.

mcbradle

Neo Member
Can anybody recommend a good video on Youtube or somewhere else that does a good job of breaking down the game mechanics? This game has me curious but I just can't for the life of me grip the gameplay.

Finished it... twice. It's a decent game. Nothing amazing. It's short and a bit light on things. It's not very varied and lacks some depth. It looks nice. Sounds nice and overall it plays nice. But never goes beyond that. It definitely needed more of a hook than what it had. The battle system was pretty cool and gave you options. But it lacked something special. Possibly a tad bit overpriced for what it was.

HoodWinked

i finished this game up the other day and feel okay about it. im indifferent about the ending but i enjoyed the final boss. but also the game never really felt like things were building to a point things just happen i experienced the same thing with bastion maybe its the unconventional narriative style. i recognize the signs post-completion but not sure why its not as apparent in the immediate.

the narration is not as well written as bastion or maybe it just doesnt work as well in transistor. but the art and animation are really incredible. i remember greg talking about how they had some deficiencies while making bastion and animation was one thing he pointed out. definitely shows in transistor.

just love all the detail look at all the stuff thats simultaneously animating alot of this i feel does ends up being a bit under-appreciated.
idrcBqDS8KVmj.gif

edit: lol my gif got killed

Zeliard

Yeah that was super rough. I went off to play Dotes after it going on for like 10 minutes, did he eventually manage to fix it? Will watch the VOD tomorrow if so.

Apparently not. I've only seen a little bit of it but Grayson noted that it wasn't working basically the entire time.

I finally beat the game! I really enjoyed the whole experience; the presentation of the music, art, and animations were excellent. I also really enjoyed the battle system and the mix-matching of Functions. The story was good, and I didn't really find it confusing except as to who the Narrator was. Maybe I missed a line of dailogue? My guess midway through the game was that
he was an obsessed fan who pushed Red out of the way and got hit by the Transistor. When I thought that, I thought his speech during the Spine made a lot of sense.
Apparently, according to tvtropes, it's
her fiance/husband? I didn't notice that Red wore a ring with the Narrator's symbol on it.

The only real gripes I have about the game is the lack of being able to see equipped Functions through the pause menu, and the size of the action bar at the bottom of the screen. And I would have liked there to be more boss fights. Of course, I wish the game could have been longer, but for the story it told, it was a good length.

My thoughts on the ending:
A little sad that Red stabbed herself with the Transistor to be inside it with the Narrator. I was hoping that she could bring him back to life or something, or at least enter it after she rebuilt Cloudbank. But like Royce said, it's a one way street. But I think I understand her actions. Most of Cloudbank's citizens escaped the city, so now that the Process is gone, they can return and rebuild, so Red really didn't have to rebuild herself. And her singing career is pretty much over, since her voice is inside the Transistor. I noticed that she only spoke in the end, inside the Transistor. Also, the news reported her dead anyways, so she had nothing left to go back to. She even locked her apartment door after revisiting it.

Does anyone else think the ending leaves room for a sequel? The Transistor is still on the rooftop, so it can be found and used by anyone. Royce's plans and the Kendralls' research notes could be discovered by someone (they were archived, right), who tries to recreate what they did, so the Process could return. If that happens, whoever has the Transistor could be pressed into action by both Narrator and Red.

Edit-
Regarding the ending talk on the previous page:
whoa, everyone was in the 'Matrix' the whole time? Avery interesting idea that kinda makes sense. The name of the city is 'Cloudbank' and people can vote on what the weather would be, and sign a petition to create a bridge, which Red did, causing the bridge to appear instantly.

Jolkien

Just got my Platinum Trophy, was a tad too much on the easy side but it was overall very pleasant. The plot is not very clear as well but I assume that's what they were going for. I would've preferred if it was more explained.

aY227

Currently lvl19 and going throught game with 10 limiters before they nerf Tap() healing bonus ;p

About that amazing soundtrack - during first boss battle, after she change form, song "In Circles" changes to it's distorted version:

http://youtu.be/aCgCUqJ7vlY

That song, that version and how it is connected to story... omg!

Pimpwerx

I love this game. I have to say that this is the best game soundtrack I've ever heard. Like I crank up the volume when I play, and stop to hum randomly in the game. Just amazing composition, and the transitions are fluid.

The gameplay is fun. The skills combo system gives the player lots of ways to play. I'm really looking help-mask-spark on this first run, banking it up with ping-bounce. I need to unlock more mem and slots. Almost time to get back to it. Phenomenal job by SuperGiant Games. PEACE.

I am in love with this game too, so much so that I play it in short little bursts to make the experience last longer. The OST is also phenomenal, got that on repeat all day. Supergiant got me once with Bastion, but this, this is a much improved little beautiful beast.
Little things too such as for example seeing the powers as "functions" put a smile on my face (currently majoring in software dev. here), the flourishing, the
part where you are in some sort of theater with the little robots everywhere sitting, and if you hum they dance to the songs rhythm
... it's just brilliant.

Zakalwe

Banned
I have four words.

Game of the year.

The game is stunning. The world, the artwork, the gameplay, the story, the ridiculously beautiful music. I love how sparse everything is but still teeming with atmosphere.

The combat is incredible. Working out each encounter like it's a puzzle to be solved in as few moves as possible will keep me coming back to this for a while.

My Recursion build:

Cull + Load + Get
Void + Crash
Breach + Purge
Ping + Bounce

Passives - Jaunt + Tap

Takes out everything. Void x 3 to weaken, position for backstab cull and everything apart from bosses dies in a single hit.

Breach for tagging long distance targets before taking a Turn.

Ping for taking out Hair and shielded Bad Cells.

Limiters: Superiority, Corruption, Abundance, Efficiency, Resilience, Priority, Legacy (need to unlock the other two)

-

I wish this combat could be applied to a game with more content, but for now I'll just make do with recursion and limiters. Can't wait to see what Supergiant do next.

<3

kubus

Supergiant just posted a pic of the physical OST on their Twitter:

hT004HS.jpg

Ordered mine this morning. Btw I didn't know you would get a digital download of the OST if you ordered the physical release because the store description didn't mention it (I think), so I was pleasantly surprised to find a download link in my email today :D.

Top Bottom