• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Treme - the creators of The Wire look at life in New Orleans - S2 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrankyJay

Banned
I can't believe how much stuff is in the show that I took in during my 4 day stay there. I nearly shit myself when they did a gig at the Howlin' Wolf. Also, the brass band playing the second line at the end of last episode was the Rebirth Brass Band (who I saw at Howlin' Wolf). So fucking awesome.

BTW...there is an Asian girl that sits in a chair and tent on Royal Street who plays the violin/fiddle. I wonder if she was the inspiration for Annie.

So since there's more hip-hop this series, who else is half expecting Method Man to turn up?

Just caught up with this last night, definitely better than last series. Not that last series was bad, but I do prefer this series thus far.

New episode tonight.
Carnival Time

Delmond discovers a new sound; Annie celebrates with Harley; Davis wants to party in town; Hidalgo combines business and pleasure; Toni and Sofia struggle with their memories of Creighton; Cornel offers Sonny a second chance.

CrunchyB

I lol-ed at Sonny cursing in Dutch. Kutzooi! Krijg de tyfus!

The guy is a fuck-up, but Antoine is not much better himself.

Cornballer said:
They've been pretty low. Here's the commentary from when it was renewed:

Thanks, I couldn't find anything for the month of May when I searched. Sad that the ratings aren't better, but I'm glad HBO recognize that quality is worth it even if the ratings aren't True Blood or Game of Thrones level.

This week was great. I loved the end with Del and his dad.

guidop

WOW

I was really blown away at how good this latest episode is. This show has become fucking amazing in season 2 and the past episode is the best of the whole show, so many little genius moments throughout. Honestly one of the best pieces of Television I have ever witnessed and artistically and conceptually on the same level as film. Just Beautiful

I think in roughly 7 of the 8 episodes this year, Hidalgo and Toni have repeated their respective actions to the t. It's getting slightly annoying because each time it's framed as a new experience.

Toni asks someone about something that happened after the storm while jotting down notes, hears something remarkable or shocking, asks the speaker to "wait" and repeat that while she takes off her glasses, and gives an incredulous look. (This didn't happen in the last episode.)

Hidalgo wants to make money and make some progress in the city's rehabilitation but comes up against a stumbling block that has historically kept people from making a difference. As a show of good faith, he must participate in a local tradition before he can advance past said obstacle.

And every time it's written, filmed, edited, and presented as if the characters aren't used to it by now.

I so love how unconcerned this show is with typical and artificial dramatic tropes. Has there ever been another show where literally nothing happened? People just did stuff?

It's absolutely incredible that this show gets made. I absolutely love it.

Agree wholeheartedly. We're just a floating camera lucky enough to catch glimpses of these lives. I was literally giddy during the Mardi Gras episode as we kept moving from unique experience, song to song, for ages. Wonderful, wonderful stuff.

- The Onion A|V Club's "Pop Pilgrims" series visits Treme locations in New Orleans
Really the only proper pop pilgrimage for Treme would be to move there. Creators David Simon and Eric Overmeyer seem intent on showcasing every corner of the Crescent City, from its most famous restaurants to the tiniest venue where anyone could play a trumpet before an appreciative crowd. For this installment we decided to visit the neighborhood that lent its name to the show: Treme. As Dave Walker points out above, the name Treme only seems like a misnomer, given that only a portion of the series takes place in that neighborhood. Because so much New Orleans music has its roots in Tremé, and because so much of the city’s identity is tied to the music, it’s as apt a title as anyone could dream up.

Walker joined us for a walking tour of the neighborhood starting at St. Augustine’s church, a place with a long, interesting history. It was founded in 1841 by free people of color, making it the oldest primarily black Catholic church in America. Its founders insured it would be welcoming to slaves by purchasing pews for them, a move that upset white parishioners. One of its most famous congregants, Homer Plessy, would go on to play a major role in the history of civil rights as part of the Plessy Vs. Ferguson Supreme Court decision. (He’s buried in the nearby St. Louis Cemetery #1, subject of another Pop Pilgrims installment.) Others include jazz giant Sidney Bechet and Tootie Montana, a famous Mardi Gras Indian Chief.

More recently, it’s served as a symbol of neighborhood resilience. In the aftermath of Katrina, it played an important role in rebuilding the neighborhood. Nonetheless the Archdiocese Of New Orleans ordered St. Augustine’s closed in 2006, announcing it would be merged with another parish. The announcement sparked a nine-day sit-in and, eventually, a reversal of that decision. A show about recovery and community couldn’t ask for a better backdrop.

- More from the Onion A|V Club: New Orleans: Preservation Hall - Keeping the history of jazz alive
Science has yet to invent a time machine, but walk into 726 St. Peter St. in New Orleans’ French Quarter any night of the week and you may feel like you’ve stumbled into one anyway. Since the early 1960s, Preservation Hall has served as a haven for musicians familiar with traditional New Orleans jazz. As the clip above suggests, it’s a cant-miss stop for any visitor to New Orleans, and not just for historical value. The Jaffee family—first founders Allan and Sandra and now their son Ben—set out to provide a venue for veteran players. They succeeded and then some: Preservation Hall has played a key role in passing traditional sounds from one generation to the next.

In the second season of Treme, Delmont Lambreaux, the New Orleans-born jazz trumpeter played by Rob Brown, gets in an argument with some New York players who look down their nose at Preservation Hall as an artifact of another time that appeals only to tourists. They’d clearly never been there. Though grounded in past forms, the playing at Preservation Hall remains vital and spirited. It’s hard to sound stodgy when you’re playing music that depends on improvisation. Heard live, it doesn’t sound the least bit old fashioned, and since traditional jazz’s influence has seeped into virtually every musical style that emerged in New Orleans since its heyday, it doesn’t sound the least bit distant.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I've grown very bored with this show. Still haven't been able to force myself to watch the last episode. I just don't care about any of these people any more. If anything they've only made hate the city more. They can keep their crappy music.

Battersea Power Station said:
Can anyone recommend a club or bar in NYC that has a NOLA vibe to it? Wife and I are fiendin' for some brass after watching the Mardi Gras episode.
Just learned that the Rebirth Brass Band is playing with Kermit Ruffins tonight in SF and Wendell Pierce is going to emcee, but it's sold out. :(

Blackhead

Redarse
Battersea Power Station said:
I think in roughly 7 of the 8 episodes this year, Hidalgo and Toni have repeated their respective actions to the t. It's getting slightly annoying because each time it's framed as a new experience.

Toni asks someone about something that happened after the storm while jotting down notes, hears something remarkable or shocking, asks the speaker to "wait" and repeat that while she takes off her glasses, and gives an incredulous look. (This didn't happen in the last episode.)

Hidalgo wants to make money and make some progress in the city's rehabilitation but comes up against a stumbling block that has historically kept people from making a difference. As a show of good faith, he must participate in a local tradition before he can advance past said obstacle.

And every time it's written, filmed, edited, and presented as if the characters aren't used to it by now.
I get your frustrations but if you pay attention there has been done change. Toni has been reducing her schedule trying to pay attention to her daughter and she finally hit rock bottom this week discovering her daughter has been lying to her (and realizing that her daughter in turn knows she's being lied to). Hilarious has been climbing the ladder in the city and his gain in status was underlined this week when they contrasted his position in the parade to his cousin. It might look like repetitions of a theme but stuff is going on.

Word. My complaints are not plot-based; I do recognize that things are changing in their lives. It's more about the writing and filming -- all those scenes are really repetitive, and it seems like it was unintentional, not a stylistic choice.

BenjaminBirdie said:
I so love how unconcerned this show is with typical and artificial dramatic tropes. Has there ever been another show where literally nothing happened? People just did stuff?

Yep. It's a breath of fresh air, I really love it.

New episode tonight.
Can I Change My Mind?

Delmond pitches his project to Dr. John; Toni hires a private investigator; Davis debuts his band; LaDonna's marriage is tested; Janette considers a move; Cornell monitors Sonny's rehab; Hidalgo makes a deal with the city.

The lack of attention for Khandi Alexander and Melissa Leo's performances in this show is criminal. They're two of the best actresses on TV currently.

Next week's episode was co-written by David Simon's hatchet man George Pelecanos (curiously he isn't writing the penultimate episode). I'm bracing myself for some very unhappy storylines.

Real good episode, especially the scene where LaDonna's husband had to find out that she was more than just badly beaten up when she got robbed.

CrankyJay

Banned
Full Metal Jacket said:
Real good episode, especially the scene where LaDonna's husband had to find out that she was more than just badly beaten up when she got robbed.

You know, it wasn't until that scene that I realized I didn't know that HE didn't know. And then I was like "OH FUCK". Very powerful scene.

BenjaminBirdie said:

I kind of came to this conclusion at the end of season one as well. It amazes me how interested I am in the stories. I agree that some of it gets tired (Toni's work and Nelson especially), but moments like Toni breaking down completely really keep me interested in the characters. They just feel like people, not tropes.

So I've been downloading this every week to be able to watch them fairly close together without having to wait a week between eps etc.

I've only just finished the first episode but man it feels good to be back. Annie and Davis are such a cute couple, I hope they stick together.

I hope Davis dies in a fire, it will suck to see Annie so depressed because of it though. So...shieeeet.

But really Sonny has now become one of my favorite characters this season. I find the Sonny/Antoine plot the best of the new season now. And I appreciate that they're making him clean up his act and get his shit together. Huge turnaround on this character.

Davis has an awesome band too but please for the love of God get him off the mic. His Bush impression was kinda funny though.

I've never understood the hate for Davis in the first season and now that I've caught up with the most recent episode (yes, I absolutely marathoned them!) I still have that opinion. I mean, I guess if you don't like energetic, enthusiastic people then he might be a bit annoying, but it's a personality that I find a breath of fresh air in a city that is so clearly struggling and, when it comes down to it, he's a great guy. The way he acted with Janet, now Annie, and even the small stuff like looking after Sofia when she was blind drunk shows that. He's somebody I'd happily have as a friend.

I agree that Antoine maturing this season is one of the most interesting elements, however. Not only is he becoming a Pryzbylewski figure as he becomes more attached to teaching, but also showing growth in putting together his own bands and reflecting on the mistakes he made with his children. He was always an extremely likeable character, but in the last few episodes he's really come a long way.

I also like how now that Antoine has really put that "struggling musician" chapter in his life to rest somewhat, the show picks up Annie's journey in trying to find herself and what she can become.

Toni and Sofia are also infinitely more interesting this season than last, as one would expect without Creighton there stealing the show, and I think it's great that they've shown Toni really move away from being obsessive with her job and quest for justice (although she clearly still has it) to worrying about her daughter and how the darker elements of New Orleans can make a troubled teen even more self-destructive.

Terry has also been ramped up as a character this season and I've loved watching his disgust with the state of police work and frustration that a place he loves isn't getting any noticeably better. It would always be easy for this show to turn into The Wire set in New Orleans, but they've focused on it just enough and given it a real personal edge that it never feels that way. His arrest at the Mardi Gras and then happiness that only one person was killed was really beautiful to watch.

The only thing I'm not totally sold on is Janet's story arc in New York. It's not bad, and I'm happy they didn't swiftly bring her back home like I assumed they would, but at the same time it's not really doing much for me. It's just... there. She's a great actress and a great character, but other than throwing the drink over the asshole critic I haven't seen that fire or passion from her that I really love. Hopefully something decent comes of it all by the end.

And still, with all of that going on, the show is still largely "about nothing" and just focusing on a few lives in this wonderful place. It's as gorgeous to look at as ever and I'll be damned if the soundtrack to this season isn't better than even the last one. I can't think of any other shows where I'd be happy to have five or six minutes of every episode dedicated to people playing live music.

I feel like I made the right choice in collecting them until I could watch them all back to back, because even now I'm craving the final two episodes and the wait will feel like torture. I'm a bit sad this thread is so small, though, considering how great the season has been... I guess it will always be an acquired taste. I was hoping this show would get the attention it deserved after The Wire got so (relatively) popular.

As good as Game of Thrones is, this is still HBO's crown jewel.

New episode tonight.
What is New Orleans?

Davis is overshadowed by his protégé; Delmond is annoyed by Albert's quest for authenticity; Larry forces LaDonna to make a choice; Hidalgo finds an opportunity; Janette is transformed by her new job; Toni and King question a murder witness.
Later start tonight at 10:15 due to some True Blood marketing, so make sure your DVR/schedule is adjusted accordingly.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I know this is the show that no one gives a shit about on GAF, but holy shit at the ending.

That's god damned TV right there.

WOW @ the end to the newest ep. I knew something was going to happen but talk about out of nowhere.

And Big Chief sure is a stubborn old bastard. Still humorous though.

"Always the last damn word, always the last fuckin' word. Always need it, always want it, always gon' have to have it, huh daddy?"

"NOPE!"

:lol

CrankyJay

Banned
Wonder how this will change Annie as a character...I knew trouble was going to be had as soon as the guy stopped running. I was like "FUCK! NO!"

Surprised she didn't get capped too for being a witness to it.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
I love the approach to storytelling on this show, but I either dislike or am indifferent towards 95% of the characters. I probably like my 20th favorite Wire character more than anyone on Treme. Yet I can't stop watching.

CrankyJay

Banned
Funny how Davis is getting jealous of his lead rapper. That situation is going to unravel quickly.

The crowd-poaching scene with Antoine and the trumpet player was hilarious.

Goddamn, as soon as I saw that Pelecanos wrote this episode I knew something bad was going to happen.

What a heartbreaking ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom