• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trenched / Iron Brigade |OT| of Analog Salutes.. oh and Mechs

Gaspode_T

Got a good hour of this in this morning before heading to work (I actually fell asleep while waiting for it to download last night....)

Nice graphics, sound, gameplay, atmosphere is unique, customization is awesome...pretty solid game.

I like that the character you pick has a unique personality/voice acting, it's a nice touch. Pick the guy from Poland - he gets some pretty funny lines.

Palmer_v1

Never heard of this game until today. I woulda bought it strictly for being a double fine game, but I'm happy to hear it's great.

Played with a buddy over Live for a few hours tonight. Definitely worth the purchase. The gameplay is fun and strategic and customizing your mech is addicting and interesting. Looking forward to playing more.

megalowho

Played for a couple hours, got some four player missions in. It's a lot of fun, I'm not really a tower defense person but Trenched thankfully only takes a few elements from the genre to create a unique and fast paced shooter. All the gameplay elements feel nicely balanced, and the game has plenty else going for it as well (customization, loot, personality/humor, etc..). Looking forward to putting some more time in tomorrow.

JesseZao

Downloading the trial now. Taking forever though. Hoping to get a few games in later.

I wish there were a comet crash mode to send enemies at an opposing team's trench. Would make online play a lot more interesting.

Teknoman

Gonna give the demo a shot in a little, but those with the full game, does the game have a fitting soundtrack? I know Double-Fine usually does alright in the music department, but figured i'd ask since I have my chromehounds playlist sitting around.

Tokubetsu

Loco, Eric and I just god done with a three player session. Very little lag but the game does get pretty difficult. I think we're getting pretty close to the end but they keep introducing new enemies. A lot of annoying ones. As Eric said, "They really do make it easy to hate the villain."

elfinke

So I just watched the IGN and Gamespot YT reviews of this, and it looks pretty excellent. Some of the comments in here have me believe it's worth the plunge.

It'll be the 2nd time I've ever bought something off XBL or PSN (the other being the absolutely superb Monday Night Combat)!

Such a good game, was only going to do a mission or two but ended up playing 19 missions... It seems like everyone likes to use the big trenches, forcing me to use engineering to balance it out. Not a lot of people using mics yet either it seems. So I'm looking to GAF for some coop tomorrow, Gamertag: Razgriz417

soultron

Banned
So... I'm three missions in and thinking the current one might find me in need of some comrades.

My trench still sucks since I'm only level 3.

GT: soultron

Havok

I finished this just a few minutes ago, and hit level 10 with what seems to be most of the best gear. I'm a little concerned about how they'll extend the life of the game, since there's little reason to go back (and the game is remarkably easy, I have probably 60% gold, a few bronze near the end, and the rest silver). An endless mode would help, as would more gear. Still, very good game.

Also, this reminded me how much I would love a Chromehounds sequel.

soultron

Banned
DLC is a natural extension of something so gear-based like this game. It'd be painfully simple to make new maps as well.

With the pattern we've been seeing with DF DL games, I'm sure there is DLC in the cards.

wwm0nkey

Havok said:
I finished this just a few minutes ago, and hit level 10 with what seems to be most of the best gear. I'm a little concerned about how they'll extend the life of the game, since there's little reason to go back (and the game is remarkably easy, I have probably 60% gold, a few bronze near the end, and the rest silver). An endless mode would help, as would more gear. Still, very good game.

Also, this reminded me how much I would love a Chromehounds sequel.
Armored Core V is ChromeHounds 2 :lol

Seriously though this game has A LOT of potential with DLC with things like PvP

Havok

wwm0nkey said:
Armored Core V is ChromeHounds 2 :lol

Seriously though this game has A LOT of potential with DLC with things like PvP
The last I saw of AC5 was the announce trailer which still had mechs jetting around, which is all the way not what I'd want from that game (I played about 23 minutes of 4 before I decided it wasn't my thing). I'll have to see more before I can get excited again.

wwm0nkey

Havok said:
The last I saw of AC5 was the announce trailer which still had mechs jetting around, which is all the way not what I'd want from that game (I played about 23 minutes of 4 before I decided it wasn't my thing). I'll have to see more before I can get excited again.
AC5 is going back to the speed of the original games, which is a lot better than 4.

Also knowing that Ubisoft now owns the rights to ChromeHounds I doubt FromSoftware will ever use that game if they do a true sequel to ChromeHounds.

alphaNoid

Banned
elfinke said:
Yeah, that's what they all tell me. I'll have 800pts left over after buying this I guess.
Without a doubt, XBLA is the best platform this gen... I think that includes even my PC. I wouldn't be surprised if others felt the same. Anyone reading this who doubts the library and sheer magnitude that XBLA presents needs to go buy some points and do some catching up.

I've bought probably 2 times the amount of XBLA titles than I have either retail console or PC games, perhaps combined. Its that damn good. This game is probably the best XBLA game this year, the other 2 I have my eye on are Toy Soldiers Cold War and Bastion.

Keasar

derFeef said:
*checks EU marketplace*
*goes back crying in corner*
Yeah, was pretty bummed out myself waking up this morning with high hopes and first thing to do was to turn on my XBOX and check the marketplace and still find nothing.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/Search?query=Trenched

rnO2A.gif

glaurung

Well, whether they get the game up in the UK this week or not, I must now leave my consoles behind and join the family for the solstice holidays.

XB really screwed me over good here, I had the entire Wednesday put aside for the game and I ended up finishing Dungeon Siege III instead.

Which sucked.

Sounds like a DF fault and only that only affects one (or more) specific Countries.

MS aren't entirely off the hook though, they could allow UK folk to buy it via the in game menu if they've already downloaded it from the US/HK/AUS marketplace. :/

alphaNoid said:
Without a doubt, XBLA is the best platform this gen... I think that includes even my PC. I wouldn't be surprised if others felt the same. Anyone reading this who doubts the library and sheer magnitude that XBLA presents needs to go buy some points and do some catching up.

I've bought probably 2 times the amount of XBLA titles than I have either retail console or PC games, perhaps combined. Its that damn good. This game is probably the best XBLA game this year, the other 2 I have my eye on are Toy Soldiers Cold War and Bastion.

Yes and no.

I have bought and enjoyed an AMAZING amount of games on XBLA. It is an incredible platform and TBH I rarely buy AAA boxed games nowadays. If MS is smart they will expand this next gen and make sure many devs have prime spots on XBLA 3.0.

That being said... I have also played more on my PC than even before in the last 15 years. For the same reasons as XBLA. Steam has delivered such awesome cool indie games and ofc my PC is my MMO platform. The next 360 will have to move in that direction as well I think. Get some of the big MMO F2P games on the machine (and DOTA clones) and it will be perfect.

AAA boxed games are a dying breed for me and I predict they will be dying as well for the rest of the world next 10 years. Blame it on dev costs, the rise of the iPad price model or just the sheer brilliance of the devs makes smaller games. As a dev myself I understand the sheer joy of working on XBLA projects. You can make MORE of them and be more creative.

soultron

Banned
MNC said:
what are analog salutes?
Pressure sensitivity on trigger corresponds how far you raise your arm in the gesture that your hat grants you.

Ex. With the trigger pressed in 50% of the way, and the basic salute/hat equipped, you will raise your arm 50% of the way to your forehead.

My personal favourite so far is using the WWI-era infantry helmet that gives you the "Rock" (from rock-paper-scissors) and using it to make a masturbating motion. It really rules.

soultron

Banned
dallow_bg said:
Sucks I have silver now with no plans to go back to gold. Oh well.
XBLA/XBL is the only reason 360 is my main. Really.

I don't know why people would limit themselves by keeping their system offline/Silver.

Neki

soultron said:

I don't know why people would limit themselves by keeping their system offline/Silver.

Most of the stuff I play on my 360 are single player experiences I guess, and I use the PS3 for my multi-player gaming.

Only reason I haven't picked this up is because no Live. :(

soultron

Banned
Ultimoo said:
Most of the stuff I play on my 360 are single player experiences I guess, and I use the PS3 for my multi-player gaming.

You're a fool and your mother is ashamed of you.

ASHAMED!

I fucking loathe the tower defense genre. But I love Trenched.

soultron said:

Because I don't like paying for a service that should be free. Especially if it has the fucking audacity to lag as well.

Also, do you still have to cancel by phone?

Neki

soultron said:
You're a fool and your mother is ashamed of you.

ASHAMED!

I fucking loathe the tower defense genre. But I love Trenched.

I love tower defenses too, but I'm not sure how much fun I'll have by myself. I'll get the demo when I wake up I guess. :p

soultron

Banned
Fallout-NL said:
Because I don't like paying for a service that should be free. Especially if it has the fucking audacity to lag as well.

Also, do you still have to cancel by phone?
XBL can be had at a decent price if you do some internet legwork. GAF's bargain threads/CAG often do that work for you.

I don't know if you still have to cancel by phone. I'm going to assume so. It's not really that much of a problem if you ask me.

Ultimoo said:

You can still have a great time with this if you play it solo. I'd at least try out the demo and see what you think. I played a lot of it on my own and had a ton of fun.

Top Bottom