• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trevor Noah interviews scary white blonde woman on The Daily Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeolist

Banned
at this point i think i subconsciously assume that every blonde woman i see is a massive bigot

thanks conservative television!

Ashes

Banned
Ah so also describing a guy as "Florida Man" is sexist as well since he was reduced to his sex and state of origin?

Kinda. But don't you understand how it's different when we reduce a women's opinion down to her gender and hair colour, and this with all the history associated with how blond women are looked upon, and a news report reporting about a man from Florida? For me one is not like the other.

I think her opinions are idiotic, and the reference to her skin colour in the context of the interview is valid too. But I'm not sure how you go from that to the blonde women part without being sexist.

Kinda. But don't you understand how it's different when we reduce a women's opinion down to her gender and hair colour, and this with all the history associated with how blond women are looked upon, and a news report reporting about a man from Florida? For me one is not like the other.

I think her opinions are idiotic, and the reference to her skin colour in the context of the interview is valid too. But I'm not sure how you go from that to the blonde women part without being sexist.

It sounds like you are ignoring the context of the involvement of blonde women in Conservative politics to attract views and rile up a base of supporters that tune in for their attractive looks and "tell it how it is" attitude.

dpunk3

The pitiful clapping when she entered the stage truly sets the stage on this shitshow. What was she thinking.

methane47

"I don't see color."
"Black men are 18.5 times more likely to shoot a police officer."

Oh I see, she doesn't see color she just reads about it in bullshit statistics.

I'd love to see the full details of this statistic and how it compares to White people killing police officers

Ashes

Banned
It sounds like you are ignoring the context of the involvement of blonde women in Conservative politics to attract views and rile up a base of supporters that tune in for their attractive looks and "tell it how it is" attitude.

Ah I see. But it... Never mind. Thanks for explaining..

The Lamp

This was fascinating to watch.

She has no class. That ending comment about Hillary not getting enough sex from Bill...wtf?

Kilau

at this point i think i subconsciously assume that every blonde woman i see is a massive bigot

thanks conservative television!

iStock_000018991192Small-202_203.jpg

LifEndz

This lady is right up there with KellyAnne Conway in terms of how much they frustrate me. There's no talking sense or reason with them. She won't come away from this any different than she was before, and why would she? She's making an incredible amount of money and fame being a blithering idiot voice piece for the other blithering idiots in this country.

Zaph

You're kinda conflating two things and seeing a problem.

Yes, on one hand the "ditzy blonde woman" stereotype is a thing that reduces someone's worth. But that isn't the point of the title.

What it is referencing is someone who could not more perfectly fit the white woman with blonde hair and European features idealised beauty standard, is out there pretending to be the underdog and taking issue with people who are marginalised in every way by the same society - from how they look, how they talk, and all the way to their civil rights - for daring to speak up about it.

So yeah, it's relevant and its not sexist.

collige

Banned
I'd love to see the full details of this statistic and how it compares to White people killing police officers

I think the stat she said what that black men are 18 times more likely to shoot a police officer than the other way around. It's probably bullshit too, but I had a bigger problem with Trevor not going for the obvious counter that when black people kill police officers they go to prison

methane47

I think the stat she said what that black men are 18 times more likely to shoot a police officer than the other way around. It's probably bullshit too, but I had a bigger problem with Trevor not going for the obvious counter that when black people kill police officers they go to prison

As in, I think these are Bullshit numbers just like the 90% black on black shootings number is, in that...White people kill each other at similar rates as black people kill each other.

Likewise, my guess would be that white people are 25 times more likely to shoot a police officer than the other way around

As in, I think these are Bullshit numbers just like the 90% black on black shootings number is, in that...White people kill each other at similar rates as black people kill each other.

Likewise, my guess would be that white people are 25 times more likely to shoot a police officer than the other way around

Thinking about it some more I wonder if the stat they're trying to twist is the total number of African Americans in the country vs the total number of cops in the country and comparing the probability of one group shooting the other?

There's 37,685,848 AAs in the US and 1,100,000 police officers so those stats still don't work out well for them.

BlitzKeeg

Funny how she never answered his question about how she expects black people to protest.

Just listening to the stupid drivel coming out of her mouth made me infuriated at times. So glad the audience was laughing hysterically at her bullshit.

Trevor Noah is fantastic, I'm so glad he's around and sticking it to these idiots.

outsida

Notice how the new tactic of the Right is to connect every dissenting Black person in America with the BLM movement and, more importantly, blame BLM every time a Black person attacks a police officer. Its a blatant effort to designate BLM as a domestic terror organisation. In that context, any Black person that speaks out against police brutality is a BLM advocate and, by default, a "terrorist sympathiser" and an enemy in the "war on police."
Tomi Lahren is an idiot, but she's an important piece in a more cunning, sinister Right wing agenda.

This tactic isn't new at all. Its pretty text book actually. Anytime black people mobilize and stand up for themselves they're connected to criminals and vandals then dehumanized to squash the efforts or any progress made. It makes it easier for people to turn a blind eye to the reasons for protests and/or rioting.

NandoGip

These talking heads on news channel are actors. They don't really believe the shit they're saying. They do it because it makes them money. These opposing view "debates" aren't really for a purpose, they know that people just like watching an argument.

After the show was over, Trevor and the lady went out for celebratory drinks for the ratings they're going to get. Then they chatted about their real views and about the tv news industry. Then they called it a night and went home.

LordOfChaos

What amazes me about Tomi is that I hadn't heard of her until John Oliver pointed out that I probably hadn't heard of her, yet her videos were wildly popular on more conservative peoples social media.

Algorithmically optimized content really mean you make your own bubble. There's a whole world of media out there that one half of the political spectrum sees, and then we have things like unprecedented election upsets when it seems like very few people support X.

RDreamer

What amazes me about Tomi is that I hadn't heard of her until John Oliver pointed out that I probably hadn't heard of her, yet her videos were wildly popular on more conservative peoples social media.

Algorithmically optimized content really mean you make your own bubble. There's a whole world of media out there that one half of the political spectrum sees, and then we have things like unprecedented election upsets when it seems like very few people support X.

It's weird people talk about how much of a bubble forms with social media and yet there are also huge threads talking about that racist shit your uncle shares, etc. Unless all of your friends and family have the same view the only way to actually create a bubble on Facebook is a pretty pointed effort. You have to literally hide content from specific people over and over to clean up your feed.

I had to go into a bubble like that not too long ago because I was just suck of having to argue with racist bullshit every few minutes.

That was by far Trevor Noah's best interview. She looked like a complete idiot. I still for the life of me can't understand how people agree with anything she says.

Her joke was that Trump should grab Clinton's pussy because Bill doesn't do it anymore.

She joked about sexual assault.

Thats an interesting way to interpret it. The exact quotes were:

her: When I saw the effects of the things he (Trump) was saying, he was touching people, and making them feel...
him: he was touching people... (audience laughs)
her: yeah, he was. (audience laughs)
him: yeah, he really was. (audience laughs)
her: Hillary could use some of that, every now and then, right? Bill's a little busy. (audience laughs)

Now the straightforward interpretation would be the non sexual one: Trump was able to reach people on a personal level, Hillary could have been more charming aka "touching people".

The secondary, innuendo way would be that Hillary needs to get laid, its too bad that Bill is too busy (?). The final, kind of weird way that I didn't think of before you wrote it is that she is somehow saying that Hillary needs to be touched by Trump? Not really sure how you would get that out of her statement but I guess you could interpret it that way.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/leoka/2013/tables/table_44_leos_fk_race_and_sex_of_known_offender_2004-2013.xls

I think? thats the kind of stat she is quoting there, where cops are killed by a black felon 44% of the time (2004-2013, but doesn't change much in the more recent stats) and 53% by a white felon. Blacks make up 13% of the population, so the proportions are "out of line" for what they should be, per capita.

However, that is completely ignoring the fact that blacks are heavily targeted, especially during those years, by things like stop and frisk, crime sweep neighborhoods, drug arrests, etc which target black males at much higher rates for incidents with police. Even still, its higher than it should be, just like males make up 95% of those numbers even though they are just 44% of the population.

End of the day most of the conservative points dealing with race, class, and sex are based on "feelings" not facts so its not really possible to defend them, as this kind of interview shows. Which is how we have gotten into our seperate little bubbles; why bother with debate when you can just talk to people who 100% agree with you on everything. There are many examples of progressives also getting destroyed on right wing shows but end of the day just makes your side feel good, doesn't really change anyone's mind.

Apparently Tomi Lahren was supposed to be on the Breakfast Club on New York's Power 105.1 radio station this morning for an interview but the Blaze pulled her after her performance in this interview.

Charlemagne would have destroyed what fragments of her soul she still has left....

alternade

While is wasn't as cutting as I would have liked it to be, she still showed her ass and proved shes nothing more than a conservative talking point regurgitation machine. Charlemenge would have utterly destroyed her.

I would have loved for Crissle from The Read podcast to confront her.

Trevor Noah said:
Thank you for being my guest Tomi. Our goal should be to destroy these "bubbles" not each other. You're always welcome on my show.

I have a problem with this tweet. This woman promotes views that are malicious, damaging & socially regressive. Why is he acting like this is some kind of casual disagreement? The lady supports unarmed Blacks being shot by cops & distorts history to push White supremacist propaganda. This isnt a game & this is not a matter of casual disagreement to be laughed off. And no,we dont have treat "respect" the opinions of the alt-right. This is yet more normalisation of them.

Afrocious

I have a problem with this tweet. This woman promotes views that are malicious, damaging & socially regressive. Why is he acting like this is some kind of casual disagreement? The lady supports unarmed Blacks being shot by cops & distorts history to push White supremacist propaganda. This isnt a game & this is not a matter of casual disagreement to be laughed off. And no,we dont have treat "respect" the opinions of the alt-right. This is yet more normalisation of them.

Yay someone sane on GAF.

That was by far Trevor Noah's best interview. She looked like a complete idiot. I still for the life of me can't understand how people agree with anything she says.

The best part about it is how calm and collected he remained through out the whole interview. That's a very admirable response because it is incredibly easy to get riled up when folk like Ms. Lahren start their spiel.

I have mixed feelings about this interview. I'm happy to see Trevor try and engage her so earnestly, but he really didn't do enough to call out her hypocrisy. Really, this interview just re-demonstrated the problem liberal media has with confronting these conservative types: a lack of force.

He black though, so any sign of the "force" you are talking about toward a blonde woman will be seen as thuggish behavior.

I agree though that "they" are "too light on conservatives", though.

cordy

Banned
Charlemagne would have destroyed what fragments of her soul she still has left....

Nah, they're friends and they text each other so he'd let her live and tear her up off-screen.

Also props to Trevor man, he's really stepped it up with The Daily Show but this interview's probably been his best and it's further proof that he's the right guy for the job. It's a bit early to say but I think years down the line he'll be a legend, we're seeing it being made.

Nah, they're friends and they text each other so he'd let her live and tear her up off-screen.

Also props to Trevor man, he's really stepped it up with The Daily Show but this interview's probably been his best and it's further proof that he's the right guy for the job.
For real? She might have a pretty face, but all I can think of when I look at her is that she wouldve created a Rosewood or an Emmett Till in a different time & place.

Dali

I couldn't finish watching. It was too frustrating. From what I saw it wouldn't say Trevor really put up that many great of a counterpoints. He did particularly bad in his explanation of black lives matter and how the stated purpose is at odds with the acts of random bad eggs and also letting her get away with comparing them to the kkk. All he did was ask incredulously "did you really just ask what the kkk did?" Maybe he doesn't know because he's not American and really couldn't point to lynchings, threats of death and violence, church fires, and just generally being a domestic terror group.

The biggest gotcha was done by tomi herself. I honestly thought she joking when she said "I don't believe in labels. I'm a millenial." That was some Rick James "why would I grind my feet on somebody's sofa I got a little more sense than that..." level of clowning herself.

Mariolee

"I don't know what oppression he's talking about. He should explain what he means by that."

Oh my goodness.

So literally her argument is that she is ignorant. As Trevor pointed out he has stated why he has protested, so to state you don't know what he wants just means you're ignorant of those sentiments.

And then when asked how black people should protest, she uses herself as a woman as an example and says, "I don't protest."

Oh. My. Goodness.

One way to beat them is to show everyone how wrong they are about leftists and liberals treating conservatives like crap with your own actions. That means behaving toward them the way they ought to behave toward you. That doesn't mean letting them run rampant with untruths, but it means you don't stoop to their level of bs.

Mariolee

Also to people asking why he went soft on her, I think Trevor realizes that scaring off the guests isn't facilitative to continuing the discussion. By treating her with at least a little bit of respect, even if her stance doesn't deserve it, it allows him the opportunity to ask her back on the show so the talk doesn't just stop here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom