• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trials Evolution |OT| ROCK'N'ROLL TRIALS STYLE BABY

Yze

Banned
I'm going to blow your collective minds. No modded controller is required. You can simply pause that skill game, grab a lighter or other object with smooth surface and unpause to rub the x and y buttons.

Overdoziz

Banned
Why did they choose X and Y anyway? Those are the worst two buttons they could've chosen. Why not right and left bumper or something?

JRW

I really like the flow of the Swamp Fever track (medium) feels like I could place really well on this one, my first gold run had me at 14057th place on global leaderboard. woohoo lol

saunderez

I'm going to blow your collective minds. No modded controller is required. You can simply pause that skill game, grab a lighter or other object with smooth surface and unpause to rub the x and y buttons.

Ah the old Track and Field technique. I know it well!

eso76

Seriously. I haven't had any other game crash my system nearly as many times as this has in just a couple weeks.

thats good to know. i mean its good to know its not my xbox.
i sometimes experience strange artifacts, parts of the screen dissolving in 'tiles', weird lines flashing across the screen and crashes.
i thought my console was frying but it was just this game and only custom tracks.

Najaf

1 simple fault on the Wreck. Damn. (shorted the jump to radio tower thing, then ran clean)

Way of the Ninja will be my hardest platinum I believe with Inferno being a close second. I'm still working on my consistency with the scoreboard and subsequent drop to ledge on City. I'm down to 2 faults on that track.

edit: Got to the end of the Wreck faultless just now and missed the last gap. *cries*

Hyoushi

Just started on the Extreme tracks last night, the first one (Truth Is Out There) was fairly easy except for the technique on the final jump. Really liked the second one though, didn't have time to 0-fault it last night but definitely one of the best tracks in the game so far. No gimmicks, no curved track, just a really good proper Trials track :O~
Too bad the game hasn't had enough of these though. Definitely a weaker game than Trials HD in my opinion, kind of ruined by gimmicks.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Just started on the Extreme tracks last night, the first one (Truth Is Out There) was fairly easy except for the technique on the final jump. Really liked the second one though, didn't have time to 0-fault it last night but definitely one of the best tracks in the game so far. No gimmicks, no curved track, just a really good proper Trials track :O~
Too bad the game hasn't had enough of these though. Definitely a weaker game than Trials HD in my opinion, kind of ruined by gimmicks.
I have to disagree. I feel that, at worst, the tracks are at least as good as the original. But the map making feature set alone makes it better than Trials HD. And then they added multiplayer on top of that. Trials Evo is probably the biggest case of over-delivering on a sequel that I've seen on XBLA.

MMaRsu

Yeah Ill have to disagree here. What gimmicks exactly? Curved line is sweet! Have you checked out Track Central yet? That alone makes the game worth so much more than Trials HD.

Daigoro

all that remains to Plat are 6 Extreme tracks (maybe) and all the Tourneys (probably not)

went back to beginner and topped a few of Daigoro's times (bring it!)

doubt ill be going back to beginner any time soon if at all. im bored just getting plats on the medium tracks. ill probably only go back if i really like the track or i really feel like chasing a decent global rank one day. id rather refine times after plat on the more difficult tracks honestly.

having too much fun working on Hard/Extreme and playing multiplayer. Hardcore online is too much damn fun.

TheMan

the top scores on that skill game where you balance the steel ball on top of the bike use bullshit glitches...why wouldn't dice just disqualify them?

The skill games shouldn't be included in the global leaderboards. They should have learned this with Trials HD. Half of them are always broken and glitched. If anything, give them their own Skills Games Global Leaderboard.

The skill games in general in Evolution are a disappointment. More no-lean, hill climbs, and low gas tracks, fewer Splosion Man, please.

Overdoziz

Banned
The skill games shouldn't be included in the global leaderboards. They should have learned this with Trials HD. Half of them are always broken and glitched. If anything, give them their own Skills Games Global Leaderboard.

The skill games in general in Evolution are a disappointment. More no-lean, hill climbs, and low gas tracks, fewer Splosion Man, please.
Why they didn't include hill-climb is beyond me.

Daigoro

they aren't, right? pretty sure everyone has been saying that they are not.

Sectus

I don't think they count. I wrote down my leaderboard score and then I improved one of the skill games from gold to platinum, and my score didn't change whatsoever.

The thing with the curved line is that most of the time it's very subtle. The tracks are travelling through an actual 3D environment which is far from a gimmick, it opens up the possibilities immensely but the curves during a lot of that travelling are so loose that you probably don't realise that you're facing an entire different direction at the end of some levels. It's a godsend when creating tracks in the editor. Admittedly it can be jarring when a track does a tight turn and sometimes it's off putting (and it looks weird without the bike leaning), but those tighter turns are much more rare and can easily be avoided entirely.

Hyoushi

Naw, not talking about curved line specifically, more the dumb physics things like the water splashing pipes and bouncy floors. and tracks with unnecessary weird gravity like the Asylum level in the Death Valley section.

Brakara

HD had its fair share of physics track too, and considering the total amount of tracks in Evolution, I'm not sure it has a higher ratio of physics tracks than HD.

daw840

Naw, not talking about curved line specifically, more the dumb physics things like the water splashing pipes and bouncy floors. and tracks with unnecessary weird gravity like the Asylum level in the Death Valley section.

God damn those stupid fucking pipes.....god damn them straight to hell. I hate them.

GuessWho

I'm pretty sure all those top scores are achieved by using modded controllers that flick between X and Y at lightning speeds unachievable by thumbs.
Ive did it on my second try with no modded pad whatsoever. I got my practice from the track and field days.

Zeth

Platinum medal on The Wreck. Come at me GAF.

I almost pissed myself when I did a 6 fault run, and that session burnt the track into my brain for days. Excited/scared to make another pass at my extreme runs, got the first few into single digits though.

How tough are the extreme plats? Does a decent no fault run usually do it, or does it also need to be a super fast efficient ninja run? I should start watching those top replays. Way of the Ninja will destroy me. I've got it down to 12 or 14 I think but feel like faultless will be a nightmare.

Najaf

How tough are the extreme plats? Does a decent no fault run usually do it, or does it also need to be a super fast efficient ninja run? I should start watching those top replays. Way of the Ninja will destroy me. I've got it down to 12 or 14 I think but feel like faultless will be a nightmare.

Platinums on extreme are pretty forgiving time-wise. I did the wreck in ~0.45 with several multisecond pauses to prepare for tricky hops and the platinum time is around 1.15 if I'm remembering correctly.

Fishy Business requires a fast run. But the others are quite manageable in the time cutoff department.

I just did The Wreck in 12 faults so I'm feeling pretty good. Got over the barrel in just 2 tries. Thumb is sore so time to put it down.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
There are some cool space themed tracks up on the 'Most Downloaded'. One if call' H4 Nasa' and another one is a tour of Mars or something. I'll try and get the creators names next time I turn on the 360.

Najaf

Dark City Run platinumed finally, and just under the time limit too. After clearing the scoreboard and the drop to the following platform, I played it really safe and ate a bunch of time. Finished with just a half second to spare under the cut off time.

Now on to Inferno 3. Way of the Ninja will wait til last.

I just did The Wreck in 12 faults so I'm feeling pretty good. Got over the barrel in just 2 tries. Thumb is sore so time to put it down.

Are you tackling the barrel like I did in my replay?It is much easier that way. I picked that trick up from Jimbohh's run.

edit: Just watched your replay and you are doing what I would consider to be the hard way. Watch my replay. I hop up and break to stall on the front wheel, then use the drop of the rear tire to spring the gap. I was never consistent in doing the gap from a rest like you did.

I only watched yours once so far but I think I did it a lot different. I was leaning all the way forward before I gunned it. I think my engine hit the barrel too before I jumped off. I wish you could rewind replays.

Those 3 inclined platforms on Inferno 3 make me want to cry. I just don't understand why I can't do it.
I watched the videos showing what to do and I thought I'm doing it but I guess I'm not.

Any tips on how to land on an inclined platform and have the bike go idle and steady?

Those 3 inclined platforms on Inferno 3 make me want to cry. I just don't understand why I can't do it.
I watched the videos showing what to do and I thought I'm doing it but I guess I'm not.

Any tips on how to land on an inclined platform and have the bike go idle and steady?

Tip 1) Go easy on the gas. Just enough to keep you from sliding off backwards.

Tip 2) Hell awaits you after you get over those platforms.

Tip 3) the angle you are at when the tires hit the platform is crucial. You want to be generally parallel with the angel of the platforms. Not too much on the front or back or tire when you hit.

Tip 1) Go easy on the gas. Just enough to keep you from sliding off backwards.

When do you start pressing the gas? As you land or do you wait until after landing? Also, do you press forward at all?

Tip 3) the angle you are at when the tires hit the platform is crucial. You want to be generally parallel with the angel of the platforms. Not too much on the front or back or tire when you hit.

Oh, really? The videos I saw on youtube of this track made it seem like you should land on your back tire first.

Yeah you probably want your back tire hitting slightly earlier so you can give it a little gas to keep from rolling off the back but overall the bike should be pretty close to the angle of the platform.

If you land with your back tyre slightly first, leaning forwards and apply the gas slightly you should get a very, very small bounce upwards which gives you enough time to land it properly, then you go light on the gas to stabilise yourself, if that makes sense.

I'm not exactly great at Extreme tracks though, my I3 score is like 50 faults or something, but that generally serves me okay on that bit.

acm2000

can someone check the current leaderboards total? hope minecraft doesnt beat its record :< XBL is being hammered to death right now due to that stupid game

vermadas

Ugh, The Wreck broke me last night. I got past the damn barrel but then I couldn't get past the next part with the incline and the box. I gave up before hitting the time/fault limit just because I was so spent at that point.

Sectus

can someone check the current leaderboards total? hope minecraft doesnt beat its record :< XBL is being hammered to death right now due to that stupid game

Minecraft is at around 50k and Trials Evolution is at around 527k. It has to sell quite a lot more to overtake it. It's entirely possible though.

Ugh, The Wreck broke me last night. I got past the damn barrel but then I couldn't get past the next part with the incline and the box. I gave up before hitting the time/fault limit just because I was so spent at that point.

The check point after the barrel is much easier than the barrel once you learn the secret. That is, go in one fell swoop from the checkpoint's platform up and over the box on the next incline (you should only touch the longer ramp with the explosives for a split second). Do not stop on the incline with the explosives at the bottom and try to climb your way over the top.

Top Bottom