• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trials Fusion |OT| webm required for proper OT experience!

wiggleb0t

Banned
Yes, BUT go look at the top replays for several of the tracks. People are using the tricks to physically propel them faster over certain jumps and whatnot. To me this ruins the game. I hate the tricks and wish they were impossible to even perform outside of the trick tracks. Keep that separate from core Trials.

That sucks. Why mess with a perfect system they already had in place. :s

When can we expect some reviews of this?

Put literally hundreds of hours into the two Xbox games but almost everything I hear about Fusion makes it sound like they've made wrong decision after wrong decision in development, and so I'm waiting for opinions before just buying it.

Ulvion

Neo Member
I've been playing for several hours and I'm still loving it. I don't think you have to much to worry about if you think it's going to be a train wreck. I loved Trials HD, and this just seems like a way better version of that.

Tricks aren't a separate mode per se (there's a couple of track challenges which require you to pull off a specific trick on a specific jump, for example), but the whole scoring mechanic only applies to specific tracks.

Overdoziz

Banned
They also decided that along with the FMX tracks the skill games are also in the same events as normal tracks. No more separate event for all the skill games.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Tricks aren't a separate mode per se (there's a couple of track challenges which require you to pull off a specific trick on a specific jump, for example), but the whole scoring mechanic only applies to specific tracks.
Don't tricks affect your speed in certain modes?

atomsk

Party Pooper
Yes, BUT go look at the top replays for several of the tracks. People are using the tricks to physically propel them faster over certain jumps and whatnot. To me this ruins the game. I hate the tricks and wish they were impossible to even perform outside of the trick tracks. Keep that separate from core Trials.

Well shit, I love Trials and have sunk in 100s of hours, and this is killing my hype =(

Zeth

Oh shit. Hopefully they limit it then. I can't see them doing that intentionally. Surely they'd want the Trials tracks to be balanced without tricks in mind. I do enjoy going for plats, but I'm rarely on the first page of people competing for the craziest times and trying to shave hundredths off my times - so it doesn't necessarily ruin the game for me.

Sounds like an exploit, surely that's something that can be fixed. It doesn't make any sense that doing a trick would let you jump higher or farther if the physics are accurate.

Overdoziz

Banned
Sounds like an exploit, surely that's something that can be fixed. It doesn't make any sense that doing a trick would let you jump higher or farther if the physics are accurate.
My guess it has to do being able to make yourself spin faster doing certain tricks. That way you can make more speed than normally.

Having played quite a bit, I dont see much wrong with the tricks system. It adds something new to the game. I doubt the designers would do something like make the tricks propel the bike faster through the air, though that would kinda add one more layer of skill into the proceedings.

It's not something that can be fixed without wiping all the leaderboards though, you'd think, if they did want to sort it out.

baconcow

Not sure whether it was intended or not to have tricks affect your speed. However, if every player has access to every bike/quad, then tricks will not break the game, since everyone can do them. It just gives players different ways to beat fast times. Since replays of high scores are open (I think), you are always able to see what they did. In the past games, certain maneuvers were able to propel bikes over certain jumps. Not tricks, mind you, but more experienced players were able to get more from their bikes in certain instances. This just will expand it to allow tricks to modify the speed of the bike in certain instances. I don't care either way if it is in, but I hardly see why it's such and bad a broken thing like the last page of people seem to think.

Daigoro

wtf is going on here.

You can perform tricks during regular trials mode runs? I thought devs said they would remain totally separate modes? (flips affected speed in previous games so this isn't a total deal breaker necessarily)

are skill games mixed in as well during trials mode, what about trials leader boards? please let this not be the case.

someone clear this up please. this isn't making sense.

Uiki

I really wish that they disable leaderboards if you use tricks on a normal track >_>

wtf is going on here.

You can perform tricks during regular trials mode runs? I thought devs said they would remain totally separate modes?

are skill games mixed in as well during trials mode?

Yes. You can perform tricks on regular maps. The separate mode is FMX and it gives you score for tricks and chains.

In the beta a couple of skill games are in trials mode, yeah.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Tricks in regular runs is severely depleting my hype :(
Tricks affecting jump distance wouldn't even be in the top 10 physics abuses on the leaderboards, if the game is like its predecessors. And they're nowhere near as arcane. I think people are making more fuss about it than the situation warrants.

Overdoziz

Banned
I don't really care much about the tricks on normal trial tracks, but I really don't like how the tricking system in general works. It's too imprecise for me to bother with it much.

If the tracks are balanced so that you can Platinum them without using tricks, then I don't think it'll matter to me. Platinums are my ultimate goal in Trials, not necessarily being top of the leaderboard. Tricks are wonky though aren't they? Sometimes I'll do what looks like a triple flip grab thingy, and the game either gives me no credit or says I did a single backflip. Seems you have to be really deliberate about giving your guy a lot of time to get into trick position after launching; you can't start spinning or tricking immediately, like in SSX or Skate, so it's really thrown me off.

I do like competing on friend leaderboards though, add me!

fuzzylogick on Uplay.

There are some tricks that do make you jump farther. For instance there's one where if you are doing say a frontflip, the rider lets his feet off the bike while still holding both handlebars and sort of flings the bike around faster. When he comes back upright the weight of the bike has actually thrown both rider and bike farther than if it was just a regular frontflip.

wtf is going on here.

You can perform tricks during regular trials mode runs? I thought devs said they would remain totally separate modes? (flips affected speed in previous games so this isn't a total deal breaker necessarily)

are skill games mixed in as well during trials mode, what about trials leader boards? please let this not be the case.

Skill games (and FMX trick tracks) are now part of the regular progression of Trials. Instead of an entirely separate mode, there are skill games planted right into the middle of say a medium difficulty track pack. The medals you get there contribute towards unlocking the next pack of tracks. So in essence, skill games and FMX are required to keep advancing.

I wish I could actually get into the game to show you the perfect example of how the tricks are impacting regular trials runs but the latest beta update broke the game for Windows 8.1 users. For those that can get in, there's a track that's at nighttime where you start off on kind of a high hill that looks more like the Trials Evo aesthetic and then it blends into the Fusion high tech look. There's a jump right at the beginning that people are using the FMX system to boost past a checkpoint that sits on a large rock for better times. Just watch the top replays.

sneaky77

oh that kinda blows I wish they had kept skills and tricks as a separate modes, I am still looking forward to the game but man.. I feel they fucked up there

I'll wait to see how the tricks affect the game before making up my mind. I'll be getting this game on Xbox One so if anyone wants to add me to their friend list to compare scores, feel free.

Vercingtorax

I'll wait to see how the tricks affect the game before making up my mind. I'll be getting this game on Xbox One so if anyone wants to add me to their friend list to compare scores, feel free.

Vercingtorax

Added

Also getting on Xbox One if anyone wants to add me.

GT - The Beast 117

Skill games (and FMX trick tracks) are now part of the regular progression of Trials. Instead of an entirely separate mode, there are skill games planted right into the middle of say a medium difficulty track pack. The medals you get there contribute towards unlocking the next pack of tracks. So in essence, skill games and FMX are required to keep advancing.

I wish I could actually get into the game to show you the perfect example of how the tricks are impacting regular trials runs but the latest beta update broke the game for Windows 8.1 users. For those that can get in, there's a track that's at nighttime where you start off on kind of a high hill that looks more like the Trials Evo aesthetic and then it blends into the Fusion high tech look. There's a jump right at the beginning that people are using the FMX system to boost past a checkpoint that sits on a large rock for better times. Just watch the top replays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT4-_yOteBU

This one? (skip to 6.50)

80.000 page book of binary code

image.php

Kinda knew that tricks would be part of getting better times, still pisses me off but I'm guessing if its to make your rider and bike go a little further on a jump its not that different to doing front flips in certain places, still wished they'd kept it seperate though

That's not it at all. That's all future up in the sky on blimps.

* It's this track. Tricks are being used to propel the riders on the first jump entirely past the first checkpoint without even touching it all the way to the 2nd checkpoint on the smaller rock. I'm sure there are more examples but like I said I can't get into the game right now to view other top replays.

Grabbed this screen from a youtube video but you can see how the skill games are blended in with the regular tracks now. FMX are the same in the other sets of tracks.

whitehawk

Banned
So the cross-link stuff between Trials Fusion/Frontier is unlocking costumes. But wait, Frontier is in the Future, and Fusion is in the past?

JJTpy2r.jpg

1CctZJQ.jpg

If tricks really do propel you further in the air in non-trick-mode... not good. I'm fine having tricks in the game as their own little separate thing but that isn't what I come back to this series for.

JaoSming

Neo Member
* It's this track. Tricks are being used to propel the riders on the first jump entirely past the first checkpoint without even touching it all the way to the 2nd checkpoint on the smaller rock. I'm sure there are more examples but like I said I can't get into the game right now to view other top replays.
When you go down that first hill, don't hold gas. Coasting lets you go faster than the bike's maximum speed while holding gas. You can easily skip that checkpoint island like that. This was something I learned in Evo on the rollercoaster track. If you check those top replays you should see that they aren't holding the gas down like that person did in the video.

The only thing I've noticed tricks affecting is flip rotation speed. Which kinda makes sense, change your center of mass, change rotation speed.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
If tricks really do propel you further in the air in non-trick-mode... not good. I'm fine having tricks in the game as their own little separate thing but that isn't what I come back to this series for.
Shifting your weight can change your ramp launch angles and speed, and tricks shift your weight. Ipso facto...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Tricks allowing you to jump larger distances is exactly the sort of stuff I was worried about when I learned that the game was gonna have them. Not good. Now everyone's gonna have to do this to even attempt reaching good leaderboard positions, and I don't like that at all. I don't mind tricks being in the game overall, but they really should have kept them to their own mode and kept the regular trial events "pure". This isn't gonna stop me from getting the game, but hype slightly deflated.

Daigoro

There are some tricks that do make you jump farther. For instance there's one where if you are doing say a frontflip, the rider lets his feet off the bike while still holding both handlebars and sort of flings the bike around faster. When he comes back upright the weight of the bike has actually thrown both rider and bike farther than if it was just a regular frontflip.

Skill games (and FMX trick tracks) are now part of the regular progression of Trials. Instead of an entirely separate mode, there are skill games planted right into the middle of say a medium difficulty track pack. The medals you get there contribute towards unlocking the next pack if tracks. So in essence, skill games and FMX are required to keep advancing.

I wish I could actually get into the game to show you the perfect example of how the tricks are impacting regular trials runs but the latest beta update broke the gaminime for Windows 8.1 users. For those that can get in, there's a track that's at nighttime where you start off on kind of a high hill that looks more like the Trials Evo aesthetic and then it blends into the Fusion high tech look. There's a jump right at the beginning that people are using the FMX system to boost past a checkpoint that sits on a large rock for better times. Just watch the top replays.

Oh fuck me. What about the leader boards? are the skill games and other tracks integrated into the global boards as well?

do not tell me that after they fixed this between hd and evo, they went and added it back into the game.

this more than the fact that tricks can be used in trials runs (not sold on this yet either), will fuck this game up for me big-time.

skill games have always been annoying and gimmicky, and they purposely removed then from global rank last game. now they have to be played to progress?

redlynx fucked up badly. I am really unhappy and I have always been a huge supporter of this franchise. god damn it.

Grabbed this screen from a youtube video but you can see how the skill games are blended in with the regular tracks now. FMX are the same in the other sets of tracks.
nope nope nope nope NOPE

fuuuuuuuuck. I cannot believe this bullshit.

if this shit is integrated into the global boards I'm pretty sure I won't buy this game.

can't believe this.

Daigoro

Tricks allowing you to jump larger distances is exactly the sort of stuff I was worried about when I learned that the game was gonna have them. Not good. Now everyone's gonna have to do this to even attempt reaching good leaderboard positions, and I don't like that at all. I don't mind tricks being in the game overall, but they really should have kept them to their own mode and kept the regular trial events "pure". This isn't gonna stop me from getting the game, but hype slightly deflated.

haven't played the game yet, but if it's anything like the last two games, this will only affect things in a minor way.

there are always multiple ways to shave time off of tracks. unless you are regularly at our near the top of the boards, this really won't affect you much.

did you use flips to shave off time in hd or evo? if not, it's possible that this won't mean anything to you in this game going by past experience.

Zeth

I cannot see how trick momentum will affect anyone's enjoyment of this game - outside of the very small group of top-tier players who compete for the top spots. I platinumed every track in the previous games and I'm not on that level. I rarely use even flipping to exploit momentum, as most of the platinum times are not balanced around that.

qbicfeet

I saw the old top spot replay make that jump the patche before the FMX tricks were unlocked, so I'm going to go ahead and guess the guy on the current top spot only did it for show.

I cannot see how trick momentum will affect anyone's enjoyment of this game - outside of the very small group of top-tier players who compete for the top spots. I platinumed every track in the previous games and I'm not on that level. I rarely use even flipping to exploit momentum, as most of the platinum times are not balanced around that.
It is a problem when you consider yourself to be in that top-tier group of players and you want to compete for the top spot ;)

I saw the old top spot replay make that jump the patche before the FMX tricks were unlocked, so I'm going to go ahead and guess the guy on the current top spot only did it for show.

You could be right and let's hope so. I'll take a closer look when the game is patched again.

qbicfeet

You could be right and let's hope so. I'll take a closer look when the game is patched again.

Not sure if linking to it is against the GAF rules or not, but someone provided an old .exe file on the Trials Fusion Ubisoft (and Steam) forums that fixes the game if you copy-paste it into the game folder and replace the newer .exe. It made the game playable for me so I recommend anyone eager to test out the new tracks to go find and download it.

Overdoziz

Banned
You're not missing much, the new tracks all force you to use that boring-ass ATV. With that thing the leaning part of the game pretty much goes out the window.

qbicfeet

You're not missing much, the new tracks all force you to use that boring-ass ATV. With that thing the leaning part of the game pretty much goes out the window.

What are you talking about, the ATV is fantastic. That sheer power and four-wheel drive. There's still plenty of leaning involved if you want that perfect run.

okayfrog

Banned
Anyone know if the time and death limits have been removed? I can't stand them in HD/Evolution. I'm the type of guy who can spend hours banging his head against a wall 'til it breaks, that's fine. But what I really fucking hate is when I've banged my head against a wall for a long time and I'm suddenly told, "I'm sorry, but you're going to have to break those other walls you've broken before again before we let you try and break this wall again." Fucking annoying and archaic.

EDIT: Or is there at least a way to turn off time/death counter so I don't have to feel so much goddamn pressure and anger? Seriously, I have no idea why this shit is in the game. This isn't 1985. I'm not paying per play with quarters. This isn't a $50+ two hour game with no replay value. Fuck, I shouldn't have to do all the same shit over again just because I can't get past one fucking obstacle.

Top Bottom