• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tribes: Ascend |OT| SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! WHOOHOO! (Now officially out of beta)

Is there a list of Gaffer players on this thread? What are you guys' names so I can add you?

Same name as here, Red Arremer. Though I forgot whether it was with a space between or not, I think it was without.

And is there mic support? I just realized that I haven't heard a peep from anyone, but during the end of the game scoreboard there's a microphone icon next to people's names for muting purposes...

I saw that too and checked the options, which don't seem to have microphone options; neither did I ever hear anyone talk over mic during public games. I assume that the speaker icon just means whether you can see their (voice) chat messages or not, since there are quite a few moronic spammers on the public servers.

The mic icon on the scoreboard is just for muting someone so you can't hear their quickvoice spam, I AM THE GREATEST, and all that.

Thanks.

lol, love how the Sniper rifles have the lowest DPS in the game. Such a shitty damage. <3

Notsureifserious.. :p

Damage Per Second <> Damage.... Of course a sniper will have low DPS, because the reload time is long. But one shot = kill, kinda doesn't mean "shitty damage", it means "requires higher accuracy".

But if you were kidding, ignore what I just said.

I know what DPS means, and I know the difference to damage generally.
But, sniper rifles always do shitty damage, unless you headshot. The max damage you can do with a sniper rifle on a non-headshot is like 500 per shot, and not zoomed in a shot is like what, 10 damage? And I wouldn't say my sniping skills are awesome, but not terrible either - nevertheless this game is particularly hard to headshot in cause of the insane speed. So, either you're fucking awesome at sniping, or you just plain suck at sniping (even if you snipe decently in other games).

Claymores are a Sent's best friend.

thespot84

I know what DPS means, and I know the difference to damage generally.
But, sniper rifles always do shitty damage, unless you headshot. The max damage you can do with a sniper rifle on a non-headshot is like 500 per shot, and not zoomed in a shot is like what, 10 damage? And I wouldn't say my sniping skills are awesome, but not terrible either - nevertheless this game is particularly hard to headshot in cause of the insane speed. So, either you're fucking awesome at sniping, or you just plain suck at sniping (even if you snipe decently in other games).

Claymores are a Sent's best friend.

In a typical round I'll get 10+ kills from claymores on the flag and 1 or 2 from sniping.

Novid

Banned
played one of the best games of tribes recently, went the full 30 into a draw. if i had raider earlyer i would have gunned for the flag.

but sadly, that plasma gun gotta get nerfed. the idea from the old game is there, but what the hell with its damage? 3 shots and a juggie gets killed? smh. NJ5 at least have a slow rate of fire. even the plasma rifle which should have some of the same damage attributes as plasma gun, dont. major oversight.

Zeliard

Haha man the level of server rage towards the plasma gun is quite something. I just played a bunch of games as Soldier and the Raider/plasma guy on our team was getting quite the level of vitriol thrown his way.

Interestingly, I have been seeing much fewer plasma action today than yesterday. Probably a mix of people not wanting any insults thrown their way and others who just don't want to use the weapon as it currently is.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ok, I've finally gotten my tribes legs back. I opted in for $10 so I could get VIP status.

Amazing game.

However, I have no idea how it allots XP in this game. I started the day doing ok. A few badges here and there, I'm about 10th on the leaderboards, not getting much score. Each round I got about 1500-2000 xp.

Then I started really dropping in as a technician, upgrading all our assets to level 4, pulling in tons of personal and turret kills, and received countless badges like 5 flag defenders, 2 killing sprees, 25 base repair, all in one match.

I'm on top of the leaderboard for both teams in both kills and score.

And what do I get?

300xp.

What in the hell!

tonitoni

Ok, I've finally gotten my tribes legs back. I opted in for $10 so I could get VIP status.

Amazing game.

However, I have no idea how it allots XP in this game. I started the day doing ok. A few badges here and there, I'm about 10th on the leaderboards, not getting much score. Each round I got about 1500-2000 xp.

Then I started really dropping in as a technician, upgrading all our assets to level 4, pulling in tons of personal and turret kills, and received countless badges like 5 flag defenders, 2 killing sprees, 25 base repair, all in one match.

I'm on top of the leaderboard for both teams in both kills and score.

And what do I get?

300xp.

What in the hell!

Here is an explanation http://www.tribesascendwiki.com/XP

This is from HiRez Stew in regards to the Plasma Gun:

If new weapons are OP, it's because we f*** up --> not because we intended it.

Our intention is for new weapons to be fun and different, but balanced with the existing weapons. That makes the best game, and over time we make the most money -- and have the best time as people who love what we do -- with that strategy. Trust me, introducing a new weapon and then having to turn right around and nerf it, is both embarrassing to us and costly to us (each patch we do has a real and meaningful cost), and does not earn us more money.

Weapons that have new mechanics in them (such as the Jackal and the Plasma Gun) are harder to balance for all audiences without getting large numbers of people using them. In both cases, I think we could have done a better job out of the gate, and are adjusting our own processes some to account for that. We like to move fast , constantly provide fresh new content into our games, and push boundaries. We think that approach allows us to create great products that we are tremendously proud of--> but any time you are moving fast and pushing boundaries you may not get everything perfect right out of the gate.

We are planning on a patch soon that will make a few balance changes. We will likely adjust the Plasma Gun some with that patch, as well as a few other changes. The Plasma Gun will still be plenty fun and full of awesome, but we do feel it's a little OP right now in the right hands and probably does need to be adjusted some.

Take it for what you will. I think it's genuine, but they need to implement a better process to balance new things before they're released. Not just talk about wanting to do so.

They probably need to create a Test Realm like a lot of MMOs/F2P games have and make it semi-public.

That said, gonna milk this plasma gun for all it's worth. No shame.

Delivering more mail than the Post Office right now.

Why has this game been forcing my jet-only binding to feel like jump+jet? :[

this is annoying

Why would you use "jet only" instead of "jump+jet"? The bindings confused me there, as I couldn't see a point in having separate keybinds for jetpack and jumping.

Zeliard

They probably need to create a Test Realm like a lot of MMOs/F2P games have and make it semi-public.

That said, gonna milk this plasma gun for all it's worth. No shame.

Delivering more mail than the Post Office right now.

Hahaha yeah that thing is a serious air mail machine.

Why would you use "jet only" instead of "jump+jet"? The bindings confused me there, as I couldn't see a point in having separate keybinds for jetpack and jumping.

Because during capping routes you don't always want to jump when you need to jet on or near the ground. In fact, forcing the jump jet down my throat has screwed up a good number of my cap routes.

Because during capping routes you don't always want to jump when you need to jet on or near the ground. In fact, forcing the jump jet down my throat has screwed up a good number of my cap routes.

Is using "jump" even worth the keybind? I usually have space set to jump on my PC games, but in Tribes 2 I used spacebar for skiing I think... so it's hard for me to choose what to bind.

Is using "jump" even worth the keybind? I usually have space set to jump on my PC games, but in Tribes 2 I used spacebar for skiing I think... so it's hard for me to choose what to bind.

Well in T2 space bar was jump and ski. Skiing doesn't work the same in Ascend, and I imagine they just couldn't find a way to make those mechanics work together on the same key without one interfering with the other. Individual jump may be worthwhile to bind in order to avoid low rising objects when you're skiing and you don't want to sacrifice any jet energy to do so.

It doesn't help the physics behind it is messed up, even with a downward velocity on a ski, if you jump, you get the exact same jump height as you do if you were on flat ground... Just whipped this up.

pUMNj.png
EDIT: Quoted for size

It doesn't help the physics behind it is messed up, even with a downward velocity on a ski, if you jump, you get the exact same jump height as you do if you were on flat ground... Just whipped this up.

EDIT: Quoted for size

Yeah that's true as well. I've noticed it on more than one occasion, and by accident I've actually been saved by it a few times. Not terribly thrilled when I line up a shot only to watch the guy completely jump over it, his momentum be damned.

I've noticed the only effective defense against annoying Pathfinders 200mph grabbing the flag is for the team to have like 4 Technicians with double Light turrets so they can each drop 2 all around the flag/generator room. Worked well on that map with the open area flag with the big ass mountain/plateau thing between the bases. Can't remember the name of the map.

I've noticed the only effective defense against annoying Pathfinders 200mph grabbing the flag is for the team to have like 4 Technicians with double Light turrets so they can each drop 2 all around the flag/generator room. Worked well on that map with the open area flag with the big ass mountain/plateau thing between the bases. Can't remember the name of the map.

There are plenty of ways to deal with paths. One of the best ones that doesn't involve tech spam is just a good ole' solid HoF with Super Heavy. You can also get gimmicky and go Infiltrator on the flag with Super Heavy. It's can be pretty damned hilarious. Technician spam is just too effective. I'd like to see techs limited to 2 by default or they need to implement a deployable turret max.

BlackWaltz

lotta black folks here
There's a bug on the matchmaking servers so you often don't get it. If so, try exiting the game completely, and playing again.

I've been getting it at strangely random times, like I was playing on and off on Tuesday, then finally got it at 4am Wednesday morning. Then Wednesday, I had played ~3-4 games in the afternoon, then it came up the game after that.

edit: playing exclusively on pub servers.

Jubbly

Odd, always got it in my games. :<

I've been getting it at strangely random times, like I was playing on and off on Tuesday, then finally got it at 4am Wednesday morning. Then Wednesday, I had played ~3-4 games in the afternoon, then it came up the game after that.

edit: playing exclusively on pub servers.

Yea, it's a new thing. Hi-Rez are looking into it, so given the 'speed' at which they've fixed the most blatantly broken weapon of all time, expect a fix in about a month.

I have to take issue with the explanation from earlier in the thread, because if you watch their OFFICIAL video, it's clearly got the same issues in that. How could no one in their whole studio notice the issues when people were talking about it after watching the trailer, and immediately after they used the gun in-game?

AEREC

Threw $10 down last night just to become a VIP...I usually never pay for anything in F2P games but I had to for Tribes.

Still playing Tech 'cause that's my thing (trying a bit of HoF as well), but I'm kinda starting to feel like the generators need to be worth a little more somehow to really make Tech worthwhile. Even at the noob level that I play at skilled pathfinders can zip right in there at high speeds, stuff like the Doom force fields do help, but not enough to worry about the effort of really defending / repairing the generator. Especially when turrets and forcefields can be cleared out so easily by MIRV, snipers, call-ins.

Maybe it's too strong, but I'd really like to see something like base turrets that can really mess you up if they are on. Or maybe something like tying in the health regeneration to if your generator is up or not. Like if say health regen kicks in after 45 undamaged seconds if your generator is down. 30 undamaged seconds if your generator is up and you are away from the base. And 15 undamaged seconds if you generator is up and you are close to your own base area. Would mean that camping out in the opponent's base when their generator is up would be much riskier than before and even more so if your own generator is out.

Not sure if I have any clue what I'm talking about, still just single digit matches in after all. And I do really like it, even as it is now. I just like the idea of generators being worth a little more and grabbing a flag without first knocking out the generators being a high risk / high skill maneuver.

I'm curious as to what you guys' use as keybinds in this game. Currently I use:

Keyboard
Q - Use pack
E - Use belt
G - Interact
F - Melee
Shift - Ski
Space - Jump

Mouse (I have a Naga Mouse)
Left Click - Fire
Right Click - Jets
Mouse Wheel - Switch Weapons
Middle Mouse Button - Enemy spotting
Thumb Button 1 - Zoom in
Thumb Button 4 - Call in 3
Thumb Button 5 - Call in 4
Thumb Button 6 - Call in 5 (Why are the call-ins not "1, 2, 3"?)

Also, list your names if you can so I can add more of you. I've only added like one of you guys so far.

I'm Vertigo-1

Killer

Banned
I'm curious as to what you guys' use as keybinds in this game. Currently I use:

Keyboard
Q - Use pack
E - Use belt
G - Interact
F - Melee
Shift - Ski
Space - Jump

Mouse (I have a Naga Mouse)
Left Click - Fire
Right Click - Jets
Mouse Wheel - Switch Weapons
Middle Mouse Button - Enemy spotting
Thumb Button 1 - Zoom in
Thumb Button 4 - Call in 3
Thumb Button 5 - Call in 4
Thumb Button 6 - Call in 5 (Why are the call-ins not "1, 2, 3"?)

Also, list your names if you can so I can add more of you. I've only added like one of you guys so far.

I'm Vertigo-1

I use default controls. Fits me perfectly :D.

My name is kiiier. Add me ! Hope ppl use voice chat.

I know this goes for most games, but in Ascend particularly, it's interesting how different a match feels when either a) everyone knows what they're doing, b) only one side knows what they're doing and c) when neither side knows what they're doing. In CTF anyway.

During A, it always feels like C at first, until you realize both sides are just equally good at attempting to grab, while also putting up a strong impenetrable defense. 10 minutes will pass and still zero caps, when suddenly vehicles start getting bought and the whole texture of the battlefield changes. I had a match earlier on Raindance where I saw the most vehicles on a single map, I've ever seen. That was when capping started happening, and it swung wildly between the two teams as neither knew quite how to play at that level, or what the counters to certain vehicles were. The generator becomes insanely important during this phase.

During B, it's just one side with a high-speed cap, the other side has no defense, and you get 5 caps in 3 minutes. Generator not important at all.

During C, it's a slugfest, but both sides are constantly capping and it's pretty much just a race to see who can cap the most while dying the least. Generator kind of important, because llamas love getting hit by the base turrets. That never gets old.

I know this goes for most games, but in Ascend particularly, it's interesting how different a match feels when either a) everyone knows what they're doing, b) only one side knows what they're doing and c) when neither side knows what they're doing. In CTF anyway.

Actually, there's also C-2, wherein neither side knows what they're doing except for a handful of players who actually do know what they're doing and take the lead.

Though, I gotta admit, I love going in and llamaing flags as Juggs, just so I can troll the defenders and blow them up into smithereens by pumping mortars right onto my feet while going backward. That never gets old for me. :D

Top Bottom