• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tribes: Ascend |OT| SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! WHOOHOO! (Now officially out of beta)

Had some good matches there, Phosphor112.

Though I will admit - and take this how you will - I generally look down on the thing of when you lose, instantly typing "Bad team", as if to distance yourself from any and all actions and/or blame that resulted in the team not being the winning one. It just strikes me as a really shitty attitude to take into a game. Sure, that one team *was* bad, but does rubbing their noses in it really help anyone, other than propagate the memetic that to play online games you have to be an asshole? :p

Thinking to yourself "Man, this team is shit" is one thing. We all do it, especially when it's true, and even when it's not. But pulling the elitist card and going "I was MVP and you all sucked" thing is a little immature.

Still, I look forward to playing more. I was having a shitty time as tech today, especially on Raindance.

Had some good matches there, Phosphor112.

Though I will admit - and take this how you will - I generally look down on the thing of when you lose, instantly typing "Bad team", as if to distance yourself from any and all actions and/or blame that resulted in the team not being the winning one. It just strikes me as a really shitty attitude to take into a game. Sure, that one team *was* bad, but does rubbing their noses in it really help anyone, other than propagate the memetic that to play online games you have to be an asshole? :p

Thinking to yourself "Man, this team is shit" is one thing. We all do it, especially when it's true, and even when it's not. But pulling the elitist card and going "I was MVP and you all sucked" thing is a little immature.

Still, I look forward to playing more. I was having a shitty time as tech today, especially on Raindance.

It just bothers me that I go HoF, defending guys, (i think you were with me on flag on raindance? maybe?) and we were doing great... but the rest of our team was just... twiddling their dicks and its just so fucking annoying. Hardly any grabs from our team, AT ALL. 5 fucking pathfinders on our team but they can't retrieve the flag nor can they grab it. It's just infuriating.

That's the reality of pubs. You get a wide variety of skill and experience levels.

Yup. Everyone starts as a noob. Some people never will advance above being kindasorta decent, either. Especially at this game - the learning curve is pretty steep in comparison to other FPS games, and not everyone has played the prequels, so figuring out skiing is pretty hard to do.

As for your game... you know, you could've just gone Pathfinder yourself and cap the flag instead of bitching. Maybe the other team's defense was just so good that they couldn't get it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I find it oddly fascinating when people get frustrated by bad teams on pubby's. I mean your pubbing it, what do you expect?

When I'm pubbing I try to excel at what I'm doing and don't give a damn at what the team as a whole is suceeding or failing at.

derFeef

I agree with Sinatar. You should not complain about "pubbies" if you play pub.
Btw. has there been any word of this coming to Steam?

Zeliard

I've said it before but I love the way the matchmaking works here, where it starts grouping players rank 7 and higher together. Those "bad" players are going to get better a lot more quickly by playing with other better players. Though probably not when they're being demoralized via insults and condescension. :p I can't say I've seen too much of that, though. The community seems pretty gentle, generally-speaking. The people who get insults thrown their way the most tend to be those who use certain weapons, which I also feel is pretty wrong, but generally those lower on the scoreboard don't seem to get too much heat.

I've always felt the worst form of matchmaking is the strict skill-based sort where you're always grouped with players who are at around your level, ensuring that many players will develop along much more slowly. Ask any top player in any game what the "secret" to success is, and outside of practice, they'll tell you it's to play against better/more experienced opposition.

I agree with Sinatar. You should not complain about "pubbies" if you play pub.

What would change if this was on Steam? It's free to play... am I missing something? (for the record I am a huge Steam fan).

By the way I just got home from work and added TheFightingFish, Phosphor112, and kiiier. Anyone else want to be my friend add me or let me know yours!

"Vertigo-1"

Card Boy

Banned

No, but as the above poster said what would change by having it on Steam? Valve will just take a share of the profits and your adding a layer of DRM to the game to a game that doesn't need it.

Big Chungus

No official word but people have found a few things in the terms and conditions page and config file.

6Ab5E.jpg

SJ0pp.jpg

Card Boy

Banned
Better patching at the very least. Not that Steam would necessarily negate it, bu that Hi Rez service that runs ALL THE TIME kind of bugs me.

You will download the full game from Steam on the first install, and the game will continue to patch through its own system. At leasts thats how the MMOs on Steam work. Steam would add no benefits to the user at all.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
No, but as the above poster said what would change by having it on Steam? Valve will just take a share of the profits and your adding a layer of DRM to the game to a game that doesn't need it.

Visibility. Many of my friends don't care about games that are not on Steam. Even if they are free. Steam makes download, patching and account managment just so much easier.

Put a huge Tribes Ascend ad on the front Steam page and just watch the accounts double over night.

Uriah

Does anyone who uses a steam shortcut get an obnoxious message saying you are using an old shortcut? Does anyone know how to get rid of it?

Does anyone who uses a steam shortcut get an obnoxious message saying you are using an old shortcut? Does anyone know how to get rid of it?

I get that too... game works fine though so I haven't really sought out a solution.

I'm playing now if anyone wants to join.

This game is too fun. Add TheWaqman if you want a relative noob who loves skiing and taking the flag whenever he can (even if it means imminent death lol)

Copy and paste what's in the 'Target' field of the original desktop shortcut (there's additional stuff there beyond just the launcher exe) into the Target of the Steam shortcut.

Damn Tech thumper cost so much...

Anyone can give me a reason to upgrade Turret lvl 3? vs Armored seems pretty useless as I heard it doesn't apply to infantry.

derFeef

The selfish reason: It's easier for me and I can communicate with friends.
The more obvious reasons: Because more people would get to play it and get interested in it because there are people on the friendslist playing it.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Damn Tech thumper cost so much...

Anyone can give me a reason to upgrade Turret lvl 3? vs Armored seems pretty useless as I heard it doesn't apply to infantry.

If it doesn't apply to infantry then it's only useful for low flying shrikes, so if you save your XP for something else don't get it.

Jubbly

Plasma Gun hitbox supposedly fixed. Patch yet to go live to clients.

Tribes: Ascend Version 1.0942.1 is scheduled to be released on Friday, April 27. The servers will be down for several hours while the update is applied.

Weapon/Balance Items

• Increased damage on Brute’s Heavy Spinfusor by roughly 7%.
  • Modified the Pathfinder's Light Assault Rifle so that it has an increased projectile speed and fall-off begins at a greater distance (buffed). Projectile speed now matches that of the Soldier’s Assault Rifle.
  • Reduced the collision size of Raider’s Plasma Gun projectile by roughly 40%. The weapon’s damage and rate of fire remain the same.

Bug Fixes

• Fixed an issue that impacted the ability of the Shrike to fly vertically.
  • Fixed an issue in which the First Win of the Day bonus was not being awarded in some scenarios.
  • Fixed an issue that would prevent a player from deploying deployables.
  • Recently earned badges are now shown correctly on the profile page.
  • Several bug fixes and cleanups on the menu UI.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Good, that's all they needed to do. Still would've been nice if it were more like the classic Plasma Gun, but that's all they needed to do.

Now if only they could nerf the people bragging about using it. It's not skill, you purchased an advantage (if it wasn't an advantage you wouldn't be using it). Just acknowledge that fact and let's move on.

I wasn't really enjoying this until I unlocked the Tactician (with some free gold from Facebook). Then it clicked. Can't wait to get some more time to play this weekend.

Good, that's all they needed to do. Still would've been nice if it were more like the classic Plasma Gun, but that's all they needed to do.

Now if only they could nerf the people bragging about using it. It's not skill, you purchased an advantage (if it wasn't an advantage you wouldn't be using it). Just acknowledge that fact and let's move on.

Mute/ignore/disable chat hud.

Zeliard

Since it wasn't specified earlier:

Reduced the collision size of Raider’s Plasma Gun projectile by roughly 40%. The weapon’s damage and rate of fire remain the same.

Messing around a bit with it in practice mode, the hitbox is still pretty large and midairs should still be easy to hit, but it isn't quite as ridiculous as before.

thespot84

she we just include the link to the google doc in a link tag, so that only gaffers can see it?

Also, I can't seem to edit...

Tribes: Ascend Version 1.0942.1 is scheduled to be released on Friday, April 27. The servers will be down for several hours while the update is applied.

Weapon/Balance Items
Increased damage on Brute’s Heavy Spinfusor by roughly 7%.
Modified the Pathfinder's Light Assault Rifle so that it has an increased projectile speed and fall-off begins at a greater distance (buffed). Projectile speed now matches that of the Soldier’s Assault Rifle.
Modified the collision size of Raider’s Plasma Gun projectile. The weapon’s damage and rate of fire remain the same.

Bug Fixes
Fixed an issue that impacted the ability of the Shrike to fly vertically.
Fixed an issue in which the First Win of the Day bonus was not being awarded in some scenarios.
Fixed an issue that would prevent a player from deploying deployables.
Recently earned badges are now shown correctly on the profile page.
Several bug fixes and cleanups on the menu UI.

How do you get the Shrike to fly vertically?

SHAZBOT! Everyone feel free to add your names on the list :).

GG MisterAnderson. Hope we can get more people next time around.

GG! I'll probably be on after I get off work later today.

Slair

Quick question, is this essentially pay to win? Played a couple of games and having to buy stuff with xp seems like it's gonna take forever. Are the unlockables any better than the base stuff, same goes for classes, are the stock classes as good as the unlockables?

ooh actually another question. I'm a rocketlauncher kinda guy, as in quake and team fortress rocketlauncher, are their any classes and weapons in particular that suit my style?

Quick question, is this essentially pay to win? Played a couple of games and having to buy stuff with xp seems like it's gonna take forever. Are the unlockables any better than the base stuff, same goes for classes, are the stock classes as good as the unlockables?

ooh actually another question. I'm a rocketlauncher kinda guy, as in quake and team fortress rocketlauncher, are their any classes and weapons in particular that suit my style?

Spinfusors are basically the equivalent of rocket launchers, except instead of firing a rocket they fire an explosive disc. There are a number of classes that use a variation of the Spinfusor:

The Pathfinder is equipped with the Light Spinfusor.
The Soldier needs to have the Spinfusor unlocked.
The Juggernaut has the Spinfusor MKD (Spinfusor with more splash damage)
The Brute has the Heavy Spinfusor.

You can also unlock Explosive Crossbows that are very similar to rocket launchers, except the projectile moves faster. The Pathfinder and Doombringer allow for the Light and Heavy Crossbows to be unlocked, respectively.

If you don't want to spend any money on anything, the Pathfinder with the Light Spinfusor is probably your best bet. They're best at capping the flag - or if you'd rather play defensive - chasing enemy flag cappers. Their maneuverability also makes them really good in midfield duels. But honestly I recommend at least getting VIP status by throwing in 10 bucks is the bare minimum if you're serious about getting into the game. XP moves a lot faster with VIP, and even better with Boost, but I'd play the game for free for at least a while if you're hesitant to spend money just to get a feel for things before you decide if and how much money you want to spend. The only reason I say that you should throw in 10 bucks (at least, since that's the minimum buy-in) to get VIP is that I started enjoying myself a lot more once I started earning more XP. It's satisfying to unlock things using XP and ever since I got VIP and Boost with the $29.99 pack it's made progress move a lot faster. Obviously that's Hi-Rez's intentions, and let me reiterate that the stock classes are fine; it's the unlockable weapons and gear that make the most difference. But you're more than capable of topping the leaderboards and contributing to wins with the stock gear and classes if you are a skilled enough player.

If you're ever curious about the different weapons/classes, you can go into Target Practice and spawn as classes with whatever gear you want to try out (the classes and gear will appear to be locked but if you click on them they equip) to test out weapons/classes/packs/perks/etc. before you buy them.

Killer

Banned
GG! I'll probably be on after I get off work later today.

By the time you are out of work, I'll be at work. Fucking time zones :(.

I'd highly recommend getting VIP status at least. I think it's nearly impossible to get all the items without any xp boost ( unless you are really, REALLY patient and play A LOT).

For the second question, try soldier with spinfusor as primary weapon or juggernaut .

EDIT:BEATEN. read misteranderson's post as well.

Slair

Thanks very much for the info guys :)

I was actually messing about with the pathfinder earlier, i was liking the weapon until i ran into a guy shooting green energy that was doing a shit load of damage, got 3 direct hits on him with the spinfuser and he had me nearly beat with the splash of one shot. It's good to hear there are a few different kinds of spinfuser though.

Top Bottom