• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tribes: Ascend |OT| SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! WHOOHOO! (Now officially out of beta)

Card Boy

Banned
I'm glad I saved up a lot of my gold/XP. Those skins, that Plasma Gun, and that Cluster Grenade launcher. All mine.

Make sure you check the bundles on the Raider stuff when the patch goes live. From memory 800 gold got you all the weapons on the infiltrator stuff when the Jackal alone cost like seven hundred something.

Went ahead and rented a server. NeoGAF Hardcore CTF - West Coast US. Will likely end up changing the name when GAF people don't show up, but one can hope.

Naked Spawn
Limited Techs/Sentinels
No Generator Regen
No Strikes
Team-pooled credits
Friendly Fire on - Kick after 4 kills (may change to 3) No base asset damage

Edit: I want to turn health regen off but I can't find the setting.

Jubbly

The Plasma Gun is ludicrous. Never have I had so many Air Mail shots in one match, and I'm damn good at mid-air shots.

So far, smelling like a LoL champ release - overpowered for two weeks to satisfy those who bought it, then nerfed into line.

How is the plasma gun supposed to be a "nostalgia gun" for "tribes vets" when it is almost completely different from the original?

In this game it's a fast shooting projectile that is weaker than the spinfuser with a smaller explosion radius...

Yet... in Tribes old it was a very slow moving projectile, meant for massive damage to base assets?

I mean, I understand that it would throw off the balance of the game more (which I don't want) but the devs claiming it's a nostalgia gun for vets is bullocks.

How is the plasma gun supposed to be a "nostalgia gun" for "tribes vets" when it is almost completely different from the original?

In this game it's a fast shooting projectile that is weaker than the spinfuser with a smaller explosion radius...

Yet... in Tribes old it was a very slow moving projectile, meant for massive damage to base assets?

I mean, I understand that it would throw off the balance of the game more (which I don't want) but claiming it's a nostalgia gun for vets is bullocks.

The most nostalgia I got out of it was the reticle.

Zeliard

Plasma gun is kinda silly. I stopped using it because I just felt bad, heh. They're definitely gonna have to tweak it a bit; rate of fire on that thing is nuts and it has an odd hit radius that makes midairs super-easy to nail. I like its general function as a sort of Quake 1-like rocket launcher, but they need to balance it out more.

I need to stop playing as Soldier. Raider seems like it'd be a fun alternative.

Raider is a bit more specialized, but still has a lot of the Soldier's utility, I found. Raider is just more focused on blowing shit up in the enemy base, and disrupting incoming cappers and vehicles, but not as much so as the Juggernaut; instead he has more mobility, though, and is quite capable of grabbing a flag.
So, in essence, I get the vibe of a Soldier/Juggernaut hybrid from the Raider.

Dosia

Make sure you check the bundles on the Raider stuff when the patch goes live. From memory 800 gold got you all the weapons on the infiltrator stuff when the Jackal alone cost like seven hundred something.

Wow I had no idea. I just bought the jackal and didnt know there was a bundle. me = dumbass

Zeliard

Raider is a bit more specialized, but still has a lot of the Soldier's utility, I found. Raider is just more focused on blowing shit up in the enemy base, and disrupting incoming cappers and vehicles, but not as much so as the Juggernaut; instead he has more mobility, though, and is quite capable of grabbing a flag.
So, in essence, I get the vibe of a Soldier/Juggernaut hybrid from the Raider.

Yeah I like the medium armor classes a lot more than the heavies. I prefer to trade health for mobility unless the team needs a more specialized class where a heavy would serve well.

Yeah I like the medium armor classes a lot more than the heavies. I prefer to trade health for mobility unless the team needs a more specialized class where a heavy would serve well.

I actually like both mediums and heavies pretty equally. Light armored classes really blow my mind, though. And they're all the kinda "You're either awesome or you suck"-class.
I haven't unlocked the Brute yet (I will, once I get around buying the premium pack or whatever the one for 40 bucks is called), but I LOVE all the meds and heavies so far. Being HoF is just so freaking hilarious, haha.

Speaking of HoFs and such, this guy here makes awesome class guides.

Inflitrator what now? Where are these bundles at? Are there class bundles when buying a class you can pay a little extra for more of their gear? Because I bought all of the classes yesterday from the main menu and there was no indication of any class bundles...

Edit: I can't get in the game right now to look for myself, I'm at work.

Jubbly

Wow I had no idea. I just bought the jackal and didnt know there was a bundle. me = dumbass

Inflitrator what now? Where are these bundles at? Are there class bundles when buying a class you can pay a little extra for more of their gear? Because I bought all of the classes yesterday from the main menu and there was no indication of any class bundles...

In-Game: Store > Bundle Packs

Premium Packs contain both skins and all the weapons. Classes still have to be purchased separately.

Jackal is 780, weapon bundle is 800. At present the only item anyone uses is the Jackal, so don't feel too bad.

tuxor

Neo Member

Main Menu -> Store -> Bundles

Only ones for the inf and raider right now, also they got rid of the inf weapon bundles so for now it's:
Cloak/Dagger Premium (Assassin + Mercenary Skins, All three weapons) 1620g
Cloak/Dagger Assassin (Assassin Skin, All three weapons) 1282g
Raid/Pillage Premium (Griever + Mercenary Skins, All three weapons) 1620g
Raid/Pillage Griever (Griever skin, All three weapons) 1282g
Raid/Pillage Mercenary (Mercenary skin, All three weapons) 1132g
Raid/Pillage Weapons (All three weapons) 800g

Went ahead and rented a server. NeoGAF Hardcore CTF - West Coast US. Will likely end up changing the name when GAF people don't show up, but one can hope.

Naked Spawn
Limited Techs/Sentinels
No Generator Regen
No Strikes
Team-pooled credits
Friendly Fire on - Kick after 4 kills (may change to 3) No base asset damage

Edit: I want to turn health regen off but I can't find the setting.

how do I find this game :eek:

edit: nvm found it

I'm the only one in here tho

come get stomped, bitches

Maybe I'm just blind/wrong, but I noticed that the pack you have equipped doesn't show up on your character model. I remember in Tribes 2 it was applied to your character as a backpack... kind of lame that they didn't do the same.

I also miss the old Shrike and the old animations for the inventory/vehicle stations. :/

Wow they really broke the game with the plasma gun. It needs to be toned WAY down. For now it looks like a lot of pub games are being decided by which team has the most raiders with it unlocked yikes.

Jubbly

Wow they really broke the game with the plasma gun. It needs to be toned WAY down. For now it looks like a lot of pub games are being decided by which team has the most raiders with it unlocked yikes.

Yup, I stopped using it on my Raider, it feels like I'm cheating.

In-Game: Store > Bundle Packs

Premium Packs contain both skins and all the weapons. Classes still have to be purchased separately.

Jackal is 780, weapon bundle is 800. At present the only item anyone uses is the Jackal, so don't feel too bad.

Is the Infiltrator weapons bundle not in the store anymore? I only see the one that comes with the skins... :/

Edit: Sorry for the double post

Jubbly

Ugh it's really that bad? That's really disheartening. Hopefully it gets nerfed soon.

It really is. Hard to imagine that they didn't notice before release. Hell, even in the promo vid it looks ridiculously strong.

Is the Infiltrator weapons bundle not in the store anymore? I only see the one that comes with the skins... :/

According to a Hi-Rez employee those bundles were removed because they lacked "screen space." Sounds like nonsense to me, or a major oversight, as they won't have enough room when all the class updates are released. Either way, it should have been the weapon pack and the premium pack. Forcing people to buy the skins too is all kinds of shitty.

Zeliard

This is the major reason Plasma Gun is so fucked:

http://youtu.be/NLoiYjfocIs

Combine that with its very fast rate of fire and solid clip and you've got a major overpowered weapon.

As a side note, I quite like the Raider's new SMG. Feels decently balanced and it's fun to use.

They're obviously releasing overpowered weapons on purpose so people buy them. Then a couple weeks later, they'll apply a nerf. That's quite questionable.

Dosia

I just realised I have a 30% off coupon when I log into my account. Is this from the beta? Could have saved me $15 when I bought the $50 pack. Guess I will wait for a future time if they have sales and assuming they balance the game more.

Damnit, I wish I would have bought the $50 pack from the start. What name are you using in-game Tekno?

I can't check right now because I'm at work, but I'm pretty sure I have just under 800 gold and can't afford the bundle. This makes me sad. Really starting to hate the F2P model now.

I'm going to enjoy the Plasma Gun as is while I still can.

Babby's First Hitbox.

jSEAJ.gif

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Haven't played today yet, but the Plasma gun sounds terrible. T2 plasma gun was your indoors weapon, and useful tool for taking down enemy assets, but the projectiles were slow and clumsy.

Card Boy

Banned
Babby's First Hitbox.

http://i.imgur.com/jSEAJ.gif[/IMG[/QUOTE]

It was obvious from watching the small 320x240 res video. I don't even have the weapon and i can tell its OP and broken. Your gif says where its broken. The projectile needs to be way slower and do say 25% less damage to structures IMO.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
It was obvious from watching the small 320x240 res video. I don't even have the weapon and i can tell its OP and broken. Your gif says where its broken. The projectile needs to be way slower and do say 25% less damage to structures IMO.

It should do lots of damage to structures, that was the whole point of the plasma gun. It's not supposed to be that good at hitting people.

Card Boy

Banned
Either way 500 damage per hit on players, at that speed and with that hitbox, we can agree something needs to be done.

The stealth spinfuser is terrible in comparison.

After about 3 hours with the plasma gun today I can confidently say it is completely broken. Projectile speed is too fast for how much damage it does as well as the high rate of fire and the large clip. Hit box on the projectile is completely fucked. It handily replaces the disk launcher and then some.

I feel all kinds of dirty considering getting the skins when just getting the weapons are so much cheaper... but I am even more annoyed that the Infiltrator weapon bundle was taken off :/

Wait what? You can't buy the infil pack now?

On the "Bundle Packs" section of the store:

Cloak/Dagger Premium (weapons pack + both skins): 1620 GP
Cloak/Daggger Assassin (weapons pack + assassin skin): 1282 GP

The rest on the list are Raid/Pillage related. I'm pretty pissed. :/

Top Bottom