• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tribes: Ascend |OT| SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! WHOOHOO! (Now officially out of beta)

Upgrading your radar dish reveals them as well.

I don't think this is accurate. The Sentinel's jammer can do it as can the raider's jammer and the deployable motion sensors. That's it. However, if there is an infiltrator in your base and he de-cloaks at any time his IFF will pop up if you have a level 4 base sensor. Assuming your generator is still up.

Grakl

500 dmg for full power shot? Not strong at all. Phaser Rifle is even worse. Use all your energy for a shot that wont kill anything.

Sentinels are pretty effective on every map, considering chasers are practically useless in higher level play, and shrikes are the only other option.

Sentinels are pretty effective on every map, considering chasers are practically useless in higher level play, and shrikes are the only other option.

I think draw distance needs decrease, power, increase.... then again.. these maps are all tiny =/

Unless you have aimbot, you aren't hitting anyone who's at high speed. And even if you hit them, you hit them for nothing.

I shoulda just taken infiltrator. They feel pretty darn OP once their weapons get unlocked.

Grakl

Unless you have aimbot, you aren't hitting anyone who's at high speed. And even if you hit them, you hit them for nothing.

I shoulda just taken infiltrator. They feel pretty darn OP once their weapons get unlocked.

~half of pathfinder's health, 2 shots dead if at full. Often times the pathfinder isn't even at full health on way to flag/after getting flag. One shot or shot + one not all the way charged = dead.

You don't need an aimbot. You just need practice.

~half of pathfinder's health, 2 shots dead if at full. Often times the pathfinder isn't even at full health on way to flag/after getting flag. One shot or shot + one not all the way charged = dead.

You don't need an aimbot. You just need practice.

lol they just hide behind the stupid mountains. Not sure what map you play on, but they all have a ton of cover.

And I don't know about you, but even the best snipers can take up to several tries to hit a target. Don't tell me you always make every shot hit, because that's BS.

I get 10 times more kills being Tech than I do being a sniper. Sniper is garbage with its bullshit charge up and weak ass shot.

Grakl

lol they just hide behind the stupid mountains. Not sure what map you play on, but they all have a ton of cover.

And I don't know about you, but even the best snipers can take up to several tries to hit a target. Don't tell me you always make every shot hit, because that's BS.

Pathfinders usually have to go high to get speed, and many routes don't have cover. There is also plenty of time to shoot them before and after they grab a flag.

I won't claim the second one, but it doesn't mean you need an aimbot. Experienced snipers can, indeed, snipe rather well. You don't need to get every shot off.

You get 10 times more kills being a tech? Good for you. You clearly represent the rest of the Tribes population, and have a well-reasoned and expert opinion on the mechanics of the game.

Sentinel isn't supposed to get many kills with the sniper rifle anyway, it's mostly for damaging flag cappers enough so people who chase or are in the enemy base can finish them off.
Aside from that, headshot is instant kill with any hitscan weapon (which includes the sniper rifle).

With that said, Sents are all about them claymores.

Sentinel isn't supposed to get many kills with the sniper rifle anyway, it's mostly for damaging flag cappers enough so people who chase or are in the enemy base can finish them off.
Aside from that, headshot is instant kill with any hitscan weapon (which includes the sniper rifle).

With that said, Sents are all about them claymores.

Pretty much.

I get more kills laying claymores for annoying infiltrators than I do sniping (which I get no kills).

No matter what anyone says, Sentinel is definitely the weakest class in terms of usefulness out of the bunch. Yeah you can get some clutch sniper shots once in a while, but you'd be more helpful to the team going HoF or something.

Man, infiltrator is much more useful for taking out the flag carrier than a Sentinal. If the FC is thinking he's in a safe spot staying still, he'll get my backstab.

I can definitely see an upgraded infiltrator doing really well.

Really wasted my XP on the Sentinal.

Man, infiltrator is much more useful for taking out the flag carrier than a Sentinal. If the FC is thinking he's in a safe spot staying still, he'll get my backstab.

I can definitely see an upgraded infiltrator doing really well.

Really wasted my XP on the Sentinal.

At least you didn't do what I did and unlock all the classes with gold. After playing the game for a couple hours and seeing how slow I got XP, the first thing I bought with my 30 bucks of gold was all the classes cause I felt like that would give me a good starting point. The joke was on me when I noticed how much XP I got with VIP and Boost shortly after...

At least you didn't do what I did and unlock all the classes with gold. After playing the game for a couple hours and seeing how slow I got XP, the first thing I bought with my 30 bucks of gold was all the classes cause I felt like that would give me a good starting point. The joke was on me when I noticed how much XP I got with VIP and Boost shortly after...

XP gain is pretty quick without VIP or boost. I can probably accumulate 10k in a few hours played.

Is there a config/ini file somewhere that can be tweaked? I'd like to make the terrain pop in less, and do anything else that might improve the graphics if possible.

I just went through google docs and added EVERYBODY

Now we better play some fucking games and rip it up!

We need to all decide on a voice chat program. It's all well and good to join each other in-game but it's impossible to coordinate without being able to talk to each other. Killer and I used Ventrilo the other day when we played, but I also have Skype, Teamspeak, and Mumble.

We need to all decide on a voice chat program. It's all well and good to join each other in-game but it's impossible to coordinate without being able to talk to each other. Killer and I used Ventrilo the other day when we played, but I also have Skype, Teamspeak, and Mumble.

isn't there a gaf TS?

Zeliard

Yeah, it's still really useful and the projectile is still bigger and easier to land hits with than the spinfusor. It's just not insanely easy to get kills with now.

Expect to still get complaints about it. :p

In one game I was just using the Arx + NJ5 and still getting whined at for "using plasma," which I didn't even have equipped. lol. This was post-nerf as well.

In another game as Soldier, some guy named fishfood was complaining that I was going for "too many ground shots" with Spinfusor.

Ah, Tribes.

phinious

wish I didnt just spend $30 on this game. The raider with plasma is still rediculous.
In the last match I played, the raiders literally had 4 times as many kills as anyone else in the game. Really not fun to play against.

thespot84

everything bitching about sentinal is just plain doing it wrong. As someone mentioned the sniper rifle is like a DoT for anything that comes within range of the flag that ticks for a few hundred every few seconds. It's great for harassing heavies too.

I've been playing a lot as sent and I consider myself a decent sniper. I might get 1 or 2 kills on a guy who just took the flag in a round using the sniper rifle, and I'll get 10-15 kills by laying my claymores down next to the flag. One sent and one doombringer can make the flag almost impossible to get.

everything bitching about sentinal is just plain doing it wrong. As someone mentioned the sniper rifle is like a DoT for anything that comes within range of the flag that ticks for a few hundred every few seconds. It's great for harassing heavies too.

I've been playing a lot as sent and I consider myself a decent sniper. I might get 1 or 2 kills on a guy who just took the flag in a round using the sniper rifle, and I'll get 10-15 kills by laying my claymores down next to the flag. One sent and one doombringer can make the flag almost impossible to get.

No, that's exactly what I do, but it just still isn't as good as a Pathfinder or Soldier chasing the flag carrier (except in some cases). Read any Tribes forum and they all unanimously agree that the Sentinel is basically useless. I'm pretty sure in tourny level play no one would ever even consider using the Sentinel. If you're having success with the class then by all means, I definitely plan to try him once in a while to see if I end up liking it (I do like sniping) but currently I just don't see the point when other classes fill it's roll more effectively.

moojito

Hey-hey. I just decided to give this a go today, and damn! It's a lot of fun. My fondest fps memories are of playing the original unreal tournament where my favourite activity was being an uber fast flag capper. Nothing finer than capping a flag on ctf-coret then seeing the enemies say "wtf I thought you were still in our base".

Anyhoo, it seems the pathfinder is all about that, and that's awesome. I keep trying to jump with the space bar, and the whole skiing thing is going to take a bit of getting the hang of but I reckon It'll be worth putting the time in to learn.

Dam this game is hard after so many years not playing quake like speed games.
played a hour yesterday. What are max team sizes so far in TDM i saw only 16?

And Nothing feels better then placing those disk right under your enemies landing spot and killing them :)

Man I really need the tech's thumper or the infiltrator's Jackal. They really make a big difference.

Tired of infiltrator's with their OP jackal. They still fall for my claymores every now and then when I do switch Sentinal.

Played another great Sentinal match. Snipe Kills 0, Claymore kills 21,
Revolver kills 3. Man sniping is just so bad.

Broseybrose

Id appreciate it if all of Tribes-Gaf adds me in game. Brose is the name. Im quick to hop on TS. Does GAF have a TS server still?

Im noob-to-mid skill, but this is my go-to game these days.

Nice, top of the page too :D

Top Bottom