• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tribes: Ascend |OT| SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! WHOOHOO! (Now officially out of beta)

Killer

Banned
I hate this kind of commitment , but I wanna know if you guys playing tomorrow morning/afternoon US pacific time. I'm In the worst time zone possible for most of you.

chixdiggit

Game is so good. This might be the first F2P game I actually spend money on.

Couple of questions...
Do credits you earn during a match translate to XP? Is there any reason not to spend them during your match? Do they carry over?

moojito

Aye, so I thought I'd chip in the £6.99 for the VIP package. I type in my credit card details, hit send and... nothing. It takes me back to the main account page. No change in my account status, no confirmation message, reject message, no emails, nothing. Not the kind of thing that fills you with confidence, I have to say.

Couple of questions...
Do credits you earn during a match translate to XP? Is there any reason not to spend them during your match? Do they carry over?

No.
You can upgrade base structures (generator, radar, turrets), buy vehicles and call in tactical/orbital strikes and ammo stations.
No.

Killer

Banned
Aye, so I thought I'd chip in the £6.99 for the VIP package. I type in my credit card details, hit send and... nothing. It takes me back to the main account page. No change in my account status, no confirmation message, reject message, no emails, nothing. Not the kind of thing that fills you with confidence, I have to say.

Use PayPal :D.

moojito

Awww yeah, just got an awesome hat trick of caps in a match there, using a pathfinder route I saw on youtube for the dry dock map. Whizzing down the hill, picking up the flag at 200kph and making it all the way round to my flag without faceplanting into any trees is such a rush!

AEREC

This game is a breath of fresh air in the shooter genre for me. I dont play too many shooters anymore and when I do it's mainly just BF3 and as great as that game is, I can only play for 30 minutes or so at a time...but Tribes has me hooked.

chixdiggit

This game is so good. I can't believe this is my first Tribes experience. I bought some gold and unlocked the Raider class. What other classes are worth unlocking if I was only to unlock two more?

Also: Is AOE damage mean Area of effect? It talks about it in one of the perks. So like if something is not a direct hit?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
This game is so good. I can't believe this is my first Tribes experience. I bought some gold and unlocked the Raider class. What other classes are worth unlocking if I was only to unlock two more?

Also: Is AOE damage mean Area of effect? It talks about it in one of the perks. So like if something is not a direct hit?

Classes are pretty cheap XP wise, save your gold for weapons.

kn1ves24

I added myself to the spreadsheet (mobius01). Feel free to friend me in-game.

I'll freely admit I'm not very good but the game is damn fun. I've been mainly playing TDM just to get a feel for the game and maps.

I went VIP and bought the 30 dollar package. Any recommendation on weapons or equipment to buy? I mainly play Pathfinder in TDM and Technician on CTF.

Zeliard

Nah, it's still fun. Pubs are inherently goofy regardless of what mode you play in. If you want to truly do it right, you have to play scrims.

Never tried TDM or Arena. I don't think my tech would fare well in it.

I couldn't continue playing Capture and Hold. It's a whole lot of nonsense. CTF is the only proper game mode in it.

kn1ves24

I'm rather enjoying TDM, its a nice change of pace for me. I know CTF is the mode the game is known for, but my pathfinder skills aren't good enough to be very effective in it and I don't have many things unlocked for my Tech yet.

Ive had this beta on my pc for like a year and i just decided to finally play

WOW, i want to punch my self in the face. This game is amazing. Most fun ive had in a competitive FPS since Killzone 2. I avoided cause its F2P and i thought that meant pay to win but thats not the case in this game. Think I might just throw $20 on it so i can unlock stuff faster and i think the devs deserve some cash.

little confused on the classes though. not sure which one i should upgrade and their purposes

2AC0CFF66A64343B51D24B000391B302E68BEF47

4 saber missiles that can't keep up with a shrike...

Story of a doombringer...

Tomcat

after all the good things i read about this game i downloaded it to try it out

i have a problem though

when i start the game my character keeps turning around him self. Its basically unplayable because i cant stop it even by pushing the mouse to the opposite direction
its just slows down but keep going on

Tried to disable some settings for the mouse in the game but nothing happened
Is this a bug or something?

after all the good things i read about this game i downloaded it to try it out

i have a problem though

when i start the game my character keeps turning around him self. Its basically unplayable because i cant stop it even by pushing the mouse to the opposite direction
its just slows down but keep going on

Tried to disable some settings for the mouse in the game but nothing happened
Is this a bug or something?

Do you have a controller plugged?

AEREC

WOW, i want to punch my self in the face. This game is amazing. Most fun ive had in a competitive FPS since Killzone 2. I avoided cause its F2P and i thought that meant pay to win but thats not the case in this game. Think I might just throw $20 on it so i can unlock stuff faster and i think the devs deserve some cash.

little confused on the classes though. not sure which one i should upgrade and their purposes

Well for the classes Ive been playing:

Pathfinder - Speed and maneuverability at the cost of light weapons. Used mainly for high speed flag grabs.

Technician - Stays at the base and upgrades defenses and sets up turrets around the flag and generator.

Soldier - a jack of all trades and master of none kind of character

Des0lar

will learn eventually

Before you upgrade classes make sure to play them a lot.

Pathfinder: Speedy capper. You are fast, agile, fragile and fast. That's your main perk. You are here to go for the flag and return it with your grenades (they force flag drops or give you an awesome speed boost)

Sentinel: Sniper. You snipe the pathfinder that has just stolen your flag and you plant claymores to hinder enemies from getting your flag. Also you can place a scrambler that will make the names over your and your teammates head in a small radius disappear and make your body flicker like an old TV. You are "half-cloaked".

Infiltrator: You are there to go deep inside enemy territory and fuck shit up with your incredible sticky grenades. Take out the flag defender or the generator. Also you are there to annoy snipers by killing them instantly with your knife from behind.

Soldier: All around class. You defend, you attack, you get the flag if your pathfinder lost it somewhere. You do everything and you do it well.

Raider: Your job is to destroy the enemy base. Actually, destroy everything. You have a lot of explosives and with your shield you can take a punch. With the scambler pack equipped though, you and your allies around you can't be targeted by turrets, radar and saber missiles.

Juggernaut: You can take a beating and have incredible range. Defend the flag, attack the gen or destroy the enemy defenses. You are made for this. You can shoot the enemy flagstand from half a map's distance so use your range to your advantage.

Doombringer: Defender class. Huge HP pool, fast spinning chain gun and a target tracking missile launcher. With your force fields and mines you protect the flag. Combined with the super heavy perk you can be every pathfinders worst nightmare. Saber launcher only tracks players who are airborne but tracks every vehicle at all times.

Brute: You are the Soldier deluxe. More HP, more damage but at the expense of speed. You attack. Always. Ever. Kill everything.

thespot84

Pathfinder: Speedy capper. You are fast, agile, fragile and fast. That's your main perk. You are here to go for the flag and return it with your grenades (they force flag drops or give you an awesome speed boost)

Sentinel: Sniper. You snipe the pathfinder that has just stolen your flag and you plant claymores to hinder enemies from getting your flag. Also you can place a scrambler that will make the names over your and your teammates head in a small radius disappear and make your body flicker like an old TV. You are "half-cloaked".

Infiltrator: You are there to go deep inside enemy territory and fuck shit up with your incredible sticky grenades. Take out the flag defender or the generator. Also you are there to annoy snipers by killing them instantly with your knife from behind.

Soldier: All around class. You defend, you attack, you get the flag if your pathfinder lost it somewhere. You do everything and you do it well.

Raider: Your job is to destroy the enemy base. Actually, destroy everything. You have a lot of explosives and with your shield you can take a punch. With the scambler pack equipped though, you and your allies around you can't be targeted by turrets, radar and saber missiles.

Juggernaut: You can take a beating and have incredible range. Defend the flag, attack the gen or destroy the enemy defenses. You are made for this. You can shoot the enemy flagstand from half a map's distance so use your range to your advantage.

Doombringer: Defender class. Huge HP pool, fast spinning chain gun and a target tracking missile launcher. With your force fields and mines you protect the flag. Combined with the super heavy perk you can be every pathfinders worst nightmare. Saber launcher only tracks players who are airborne but tracks every vehicle at all times.

Brute: You are the Soldier deluxe. More HP, more damage but at the expense of speed. You attack. Always. Ever. Kill everything.

A note on the sentinal: You won't receive the joy from sniping in this game you get from other games. Even the lightest armored classes take at least two shots to kill. You're job is to place claymore mines around the flag and pop the flag cappers as they come in and leave. If they take damage from one of your claymore mines while grabbing the flag you can be effective as they fly off, but don't expect to sit in a nice perch and frag people from across the map. That being said, I still have moments where I pick people off in mid air, and it is supremely satisfying. I also love the feeling of blowing up the pathfinder right after he spent all that time skiing into the flag.

In the low level pub matches that I'm in no one tends to play HoF, so I've actually started to pick it up myself. On the plus side, especially at the start, I feel really useful to my team. Keep up the forcefields, pick attackers off with my chaingun, kill a few pathfinders with Super Heavy when they run into me. But I'm having issues in the later parts of the match. At that point everyone seems to have saved up credits and I just get Tactical / Orbital struck off the flag continually.

Is there some smart way to avoid this? I feel like I'm spending all my time trekking back to my post. I can sometimes avoid it by seeing targeting lasers focusing in, but to avoid it then I have to back off of my post and leave the flag exposed. What's the veteran player advice here?

Thanks for the info. I think im going to start with pathfinder as i seem to be pretty successful in flag caps. My second will be the juggernaut as the cannon looks too badass.

How do gun unlocks work? how many does each class have? Mine only show 2...... Do they reveal as you level or after each purchase?

Do you love repairing things? Tech! Do you like having little (almost ineffectual) turrets that, only when placed in just the right spot to catch someone on low health off guard, gets you easy kills? Tech! Do you like using a gun that everyone hates? Tech! Do you like throwing grenades at invisible bastards? Tech!

I love playing Tech. :p (Not joking, I've always liked "housekeeping" classes like Tech and Medic).

Though I'll admit, Raindance is quickly becoming my most hated maps. When three Grunts/Juggas get into your Gen room, that's it. They're there to stay.

how does VIP work? do i only have to buy the $10 pack to get the double XP bonus?

little ad in store says make my first real money purchase today and become VIP member

Any real-money purchase gets you lifetime VIP, which is I think %50 more XP per match, added on to the total (so basically you get Match XP + 1/2 of Match XP). It's not much, but it does add up. If you buy a Boost, that's another matter. Then you swim in XP.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Tech can be beastmode in TDM with that SMG of his. Or of course the Thumper. Depends on what your aim is like.

And if you find decent hiding spots near well-trafficked areas, you can be a real bastard with the light turrets. Some maps are too large, but the smaller ones, you can rack up a surprising amount of kills and assists that way.

Enco

Game is surprisingly fun. Love how it feels like you deal real damage when you hit someone.

How balanced is the game with all the purchases though?

That really depends on the class, some of them are so much better if you get certain weapons (e.g. Thumper for tech), perks (e.g. Super Heavy for Doomy) or upgrades.
With that said, if in doubt, go with the Soldier; Jack of All Trades, Master of None.

How do gun unlocks work? how many does each class have? Mine only show 2...... Do they reveal as you level or after each purchase?

Every class has the following slots:
Primary Weapon, Secondary Weapon, Belt Item, Pack, Armor, Primay Perk, Secondary Perk, Skin (only for Infiltrator and Raider so far)

Most classes have one or more option than the items they start with on the weapons and belt items, and some can also take another pack item. Perks unlock across your entire account. Armor upgrades are pretty obvious.

There's 2 currencies in the game - Gold, which you purchase for real money, and XP, which you gain through playing the game; the higher your score and the longer the match you play in, the more XP you get. These XP you then can spend on the different things. It's recommended to spend the gold on the more expensive items and weaponry instead of the classes, though.

But I'm having issues in the later parts of the match. At that point everyone seems to have saved up credits and I just get Tactical / Orbital struck off the flag continually.

Is there some smart way to avoid this? I feel like I'm spending all my time trekking back to my post. I can sometimes avoid it by seeing targeting lasers focusing in, but to avoid it then I have to back off of my post and leave the flag exposed. What's the veteran player advice here?

Sadly, that's what HoF is all about. You will die a lot. There's not much you can do against strikes other than getting cover once you hear that disctinctive sound. Since I feel this tutorial is amazing, here you have the Doombringer HoF explained in very nice detail, including how to deal with strikes.

Game is surprisingly fun. Love how it feels like you deal real damage when you hit someone.

It has some weapons that seem ridiculous at first, but still are alright. The only exception to this was the pre-patch plasma gun (which still is really good after the patch), but well... it got fixed. So they definitely try to repair shit if they fuck up.

Des0lar

will learn eventually

Very good. Of course there is always stuff that "feels" too strong like the infs jackal but in the end it works pretty well.

Stellar example of F2P.

Top Bottom