• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tribes: Ascend |OT| SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! WHOOHOO! (Now officially out of beta)

Enco

It has some weapons that seem ridiculous at first, but still are alright. The only exception to this was the pre-patch plasma gun (which still is really good after the patch), but well... it got fixed. So they definitely try to repair shit if they fuck up.
Very good. Of course there is always stuff that "feels" too strong like the infs jackal but in the end it works pretty well.

Stellar example of F2P.

Sounds good.

All of the classes and options are kinda messy but I can live with it.

I don't like some of the UI like the stupid huge text in the middle of the screen and the horrible kill cards or whatever you call them. The maps seem a bit empty too.

Apart from those few things it's a solid game that I can see my self playing a lot.

All of the classes and options are kinda messy but I can live with it.

Define "messy"? If you mean the classes have no real defined "goal", then I gotta say outright you're wrong. :p

I don't like some of the UI like the stupid huge text in the middle of the screen and the horrible kill cards or whatever you call them. The maps seem a bit empty too.

I hate the kill cards, as well, and the HUD needs to get used to, but it's actually quite alright - seen worse FPS UIs.
The maps seem empty only because they are supposed to be huge spaces you can go ridiculously fast in; learning how to ski and move generally is a key asset (or rather THE key asset) to playing this game successfully! :)

Enco

Define "messy"? If you mean the classes have no real defined "goal", then I gotta say outright you're wrong. :p

I hate the kill cards, as well, and the HUD needs to get used to, but it's actually quite alright - seen worse FPS UIs.
The maps seem empty only because they are supposed to be huge spaces you can go ridiculously fast in; learning how to ski and move generally is a key asset (or rather THE key asset) to playing this game successfully! :)
There are just lots of options and it doesn't feel very uniform. I don't know what carries over from class to class and some things like skins are empty. Not sure how you unlock weapons or if the weapons there are all you get.

Yea skiing is pretty fun.

There are just lots of options and it doesn't feel very uniform. I don't know what carries over from class to class and some things like skins are empty. Not sure how you unlock weapons or if the weapons there are all you get.

Well, like in TF2, every class has their own sets of weaponry and additional items that aid them in their specific goal - you can update all of these weapons and items and your armor, as well. If you want to know what each class does, just go to the page before this, there's 2 or 3 posts summarizing all 9 classes. Unless you really want another take at it, I can try to summarize them for you as well according to my experience. :p

The only thing that carries over in between classes are the perks, which are attributes you can assign to your classes. If you unlock a perk, you unlock it for all your classes.

Regarding skins, there's only 2 classes that have skins released yet, since the game literally just came out of beta a month or so ago; they just released the Raider skins, and before that, Infiltrator got skins. The other classes are blank in that regard yet.

Every class has at least a few weapon options for both primary and secondary weapons. You unlock them by purchasing them ("modify classes"), and then you buy them either through XP, which you earn by playing the game, or gold, which you can purchase.
All of the classes and gameplay-essential items you can unlock through XP, the aesthetic additions you have to purchase.

kn1ves24

Doombringer is surprisingly fun. I tried it out for the first time today. It is a bit frustrating though when the rest of the team doesn't seem to be helping out. I don't mind dying alot but man when you are the only one trying to defend the flag and there is a constant mix of atleast 3 members of the opposite team at your base its hard to resist switching classes. I guess that's just pub matches, still fun.

Loam

IMO there needs to be a heavier penalty for hitting the suicide key. Ive seen an increasing trend of defenders chasing a carrier across the entire map only to press their kill button once the flag has been retrieved, giving them the advantage of spawning back at their base ready to defend again much faster than if they had been forced to trek it.

IMO there needs to be a heavier penalty for hitting the suicide key. Ive seen an increasing trend of defenders chasing a carrier across the entire map only to press their kill button once the flag has been retrieved, giving them the advantage of spawning back at their base ready to defend again much fast than if they had been forced to trek it.

Heavies also are fucking slow and chasing a pathfinder or even a soldier as a heavy is already difficult enough (and in 99% of the cases futile anyway). Hell, chasing in general is pretty weak in most cases, even if you have a pathfinder chasing another pathfinder. And most classes save techs or defensive heavies will want to go into the enemy base after retrieving the flag, anyway, so it's not like it is a big chunk of people.

Aside from that, the key is also providing vital strategic value in setting up teams.

To use it as a shortcut to get back to base faster isn't really an issue; as a Pathfinder you're probably faster back at the enemy base than they are on the flag after picking up the flag again and respawning.

"IMO there needs to be a heavier penalty for hitting the suicide key. Ive seen an increasing trend of defenders chasing a carrier across the entire map only to press their kill button once the flag has been retrieved, giving them the advantage of spawning back at their base ready to defend again much fast than if they had been forced to trek it."

That is CTF 101 and I don't see them ever altering it. In competitive settings with naked spawn, there is the possibility of being screwed if generators are down by suiciding if there aren't any inv stations up.

Unicorn

Man, I suck at determining where my shots should go. Though, I did have a lot of lucky kills with the Jugg just now.

I get so frustrated that I can't land shots when I want to. Velocity and trajectory, how do they fucking work.

Do you love repairing things? Tech! Do you like having little (almost ineffectual) turrets that, only when placed in just the right spot to catch someone on low health off guard, gets you easy kills? Tech! Do you like using a gun that everyone hates? Tech! Do you like throwing grenades at invisible bastards? Tech!

I love playing Tech. :p (Not joking, I've always liked "housekeeping" classes like Tech and Medic).

Though I'll admit, Raindance is quickly becoming my most hated maps. When three Grunts/Juggas get into your Gen room, that's it. They're there to stay.

In my short time with the game, I've grown to love the Tech so much...and I agree with your preference - housekeeping/medic/technical defense? Yes please. We'll keep the engines rumbling, you go and cap us some flags.

EXGN

Loved the PS2 Tribes, just got back into this and I'm digging it. I played TDM to familiarize myself with the controls, it just sucks that it taxes my machine pretty bad. Might upgrade just for this game.

kn1ves24

Is the heavy bolt launcher worth unlocking right away for the Doombringer? Only reason I ask is the chain gun seems worthless on enemies that are even the slightest distance away. I understand the HoF shouldn't be concerned with enemies that are far away but the constant barrage of mortar attacks from juggs can get annoying. Was thinking the bolt launcher might flush them out or even get a kill on them.

ZoddGutts

am i the only capper in TA?
and why no one clear enemy's D?

stop defending people, please.

This usually happens on Raindance for some annoying reason. Guess newbs and sucky players find that map difficult for them. So they go defensive. So being the only Pathfinder on the team, I have not only to take out their force fields but also their Doombringers standing on the flag. By the time I get near the flag another Doombringer gets on the flag thus killing me when I crash to him, and if that doesn't happen there's a sniper waiting for me to make my move to get sniped. Yay!

This usually happens on Raindance for some annoying reason. Guess newbs and sucky players find that map difficult for them. So they go defensive. So being the only Pathfinder on the team, I have not only to take out their force fields but also their Doombringers standing on the flag. By the time I get near the flag another Doombringer gets on the flag thus killing me when I crash to him, and if that doesn't happen there's a sniper waiting for me to make my move to get sniped. Yay!

As a relative newbie, is there much call for Techs out in the midfield/enemy end? I'd like to be as helpful as possible, but versatility is the key.

Any advice would be welcomed.

As a relative newbie, is there much call for Techs out in the midfield/enemy end? I'd like to be as helpful as possible, but versatility is the key.

Any advice would be welcomed.

Techs are better off defending. They can't hold themselves too well, they're only so-so in chasing, but they're great as aid for HoFs and keeping the base stuff intact (specially generator and radar). Here's a techie guide by the same guy who did the HoF one I linked.

Techs are better off defending. They can't hold themselves too well, they're only so-so in chasing, but they're great as aid for HoFs and keeping the base stuff intact (specially generator and radar). Here's a techie guide by the same guy who did the HoF one I linked.

Thanks very much! I'll try and implement what I've learned from that vid (and the fellow's blog).

Enco

Well, like in TF2, every class has their own sets of weaponry and additional items that aid them in their specific goal - you can update all of these weapons and items and your armor, as well. If you want to know what each class does, just go to the page before this, there's 2 or 3 posts summarizing all 9 classes. Unless you really want another take at it, I can try to summarize them for you as well according to my experience. :p

The only thing that carries over in between classes are the perks, which are attributes you can assign to your classes. If you unlock a perk, you unlock it for all your classes.

Regarding skins, there's only 2 classes that have skins released yet, since the game literally just came out of beta a month or so ago; they just released the Raider skins, and before that, Infiltrator got skins. The other classes are blank in that regard yet.

Every class has at least a few weapon options for both primary and secondary weapons. You unlock them by purchasing them ("modify classes"), and then you buy them either through XP, which you earn by playing the game, or gold, which you can purchase.
All of the classes and gameplay-essential items you can unlock through XP, the aesthetic additions you have to purchase.
Don't worry about I get it now :)

Thanks for the info!

Good Heavens, I'm growing very very VERY fond of the Tech. Love working under fire to keep the assets up and running, the gen online etc.

What do people reckon? Thumper or SMG for Tech primary? Map specific?

I switched back to SMG after running the Thumper for a while, to pick off people with low health as a result of my turrets. But lately, I feel the SMG is lacking the punch I need to really defend anything, so I may switch back to the Thumper. I'd say it can be map specific, but it really depends on your playstyle.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Get good with the Thumper. The SMG is too weak and not accurate enough. You might get the occasional kill on someone who is almost dead, but it's just not a reliable weapon. You're never going to take out heavies inside with a SMG, but good maneuvering and a thumper it's entirely possible. Thumper is also good outside once you get your aim down, even for defending the flag.

Also get those sweet, sweet Air Mail accolades.

depths20XX

In the low level pub matches that I'm in no one tends to play HoF, so I've actually started to pick it up myself. On the plus side, especially at the start, I feel really useful to my team. Keep up the forcefields, pick attackers off with my chaingun, kill a few pathfinders with Super Heavy when they run into me. But I'm having issues in the later parts of the match. At that point everyone seems to have saved up credits and I just get Tactical / Orbital struck off the flag continually.

Is there some smart way to avoid this? I feel like I'm spending all my time trekking back to my post. I can sometimes avoid it by seeing targeting lasers focusing in, but to avoid it then I have to back off of my post and leave the flag exposed. What's the veteran player advice here?

I mainly play Doombringer and I don't think there's anyway to avoid it in the late game. Orbital Strikes seem really stupid in this. You pretty much just gotta keep sitting on that flag and dying, you should be able to prevent a few grabs anyways.

Zeliard

I guess people won't be flying all over in TDM. SMG would fare better than CTF.

There's more emphasis on duels in TDM and people tend to slow down as the objective is basically to get kills. In a duel an automatic like the TCN4 will be devastating as it will take out almost anyone in a straight fight. Against someone with a Spinfusor or another non-automatic, you can just keep a bead on them the entire time and consistently beat them. When you're both twirling around in the air, you can continuously shoot them as they wait for their weapon to reload and go for midairs (and are being flustered by your bullets), which gives you an enormous advantage.

I just unlocked the Tech and have barely used him so far, but in the time I have, it's been pretty obvious how handy his SMG can be in duels. Still, little is more satisfying than laying people out with Spinfusor discs.

What's your opinion of the Tech secondary weapon choices?

Keep the repair gun, honestly.
The shotgun is only useful for finishing off at insanely close range (something you usually are not gonna be in often/long), and the pistol... I dunno, I don't really get along with it for some reason. Repair gun is good cause you have much more faster repair rate (specially when upgraded) and keep base defenses and called-in inventory stations up. Much more efficiently.

As for the primary weapon, I think it really depends on the map or what position you'll take. Does your team have a few techs already that are defending the HoF? If no, grab the SMG and assist the Doomy in peppering incoming pathfinders. If there's already enough defense for the HoF, grab a Thumper and keep an eye on the generator.

I mainly play Doombringer and I don't think there's anyway to avoid it in the late game. Orbital Strikes seem really stupid in this. You pretty much just gotta keep sitting on that flag and dying, you should be able to prevent a few grabs anyways.

Dang and here I was hoping there was some science around avoiding them :(. I do still stop a few caps, so I can't say that I'm not useful, just so dang slow getting back to the flag as a heavy. I feel like they should have a global cooldown per team on both strikes, or something like that, they can just get spammed so fast and undo so much of the work of Techs and Dooms. I get that they are in the game to keep things from getting stalemated but I don't like how they change the endgame. Or at least maybe make it that you can only call in the strikes if your generator is up, makes the generator a bit more useful in that case and you have to play solid D around your own gen to keep up the ability to do call-in strikes.

AEREC

Quick question. What's the percentage under each class for?

Im guessing it's the amount of unlocks you have for them...or it could be the amount of time spent playing them compared to all classes in percentage form.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Im guessing it's the amount of unlocks you have for them...or it could be the amount of time spent playing them compared to all classes in percentage form.

Amount of unlocks and upgrades. Not counting perks, I believe.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Dang and here I was hoping there was some science around avoiding them :(. I do still stop a few caps, so I can't say that I'm not useful, just so dang slow getting back to the flag as a heavy. I feel like they should have a global cooldown per team on both strikes, or something like that, they can just get spammed so fast and undo so much of the work of Techs and Dooms. I get that they are in the game to keep things from getting stalemated but I don't like how they change the endgame. Or at least maybe make it that you can only call in the strikes if your generator is up, makes the generator a bit more useful in that case and you have to play solid D around your own gen to keep up the ability to do call-in strikes.

Well, I think sometimes flying over the point saves you from a strike. Sometimes. Also keep a supply drop nearby and just spam your stuff faster than they can destroy it. That's my way of playing doom :D

Enco

How much you've unlocked and upgraded, for that class.
Sweet thanks.

One more question for now haha. What's the use of the flag in TDM? Does it give you extra health or something?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
What's your opinion of the Tech secondary weapon choices?

Missed you asking about secondary, as others have said, just stick with the repair tool and upgrade it. Shotgun and pistol aren't that useful, and since Tech is supposed to stay near base, you should never run out of ammo for the thumper.

Not that it matters, but what's the lore on the Blood Eagles and the Diamond Sword? I get the impression that the Diamond Sword are invading the Blood Eagle's territory from the announcer's banter. Also apparently Blood Eagles are considered "butchers" by the Diamond Sword... if anyone has any backstory that would be helpful.

tonitoni

Unicorn

Well, I think I'm slowly getting better at landing shots. It's gradually seeping in, I think. Just gotta play everyday for my daily win... until I'm really hooked and am actually decent.

Not that it matters, but what's the lore on the Blood Eagles and the Diamond Sword? I get the impression that the Diamond Sword are invading the Blood Eagle's territory from the announcer's banter. Also apparently Blood Eagles are considered "butchers" by the Diamond Sword... if anyone has any backstory that would be helpful.

The 2 tribes hate each other.

taoofjord

The more I play this the more I fall in love. And I've been playing it on and off for months now. It really is a respectable successor to Tribes and there's still nothing out there that satisfies me like Tribes does. There's so many fun roles to fill in a CTF match but nothing beats disrupting the midfield with your handy spinfusor. Ahhh... life is good.

BlackWaltz

lotta black folks here
After about a month, I'm finally starting to get the hang of playing Sentinel. It's probably the most satisfying class I've played in this game, there's nothing better than landing three consecutive shots on a fast moving medium or landing that cross-map kill on a flag carrier. Had one of my better games a bit ago:

Jwi3cl.png

moojito

After about a month, I'm finally starting to get the hang of playing Sentinel. It's probably the most satisfying class I've played in this game, there's nothing better than landing three consecutive shots on a fast moving medium or landing that cross-map kill on a flag carrier. Had one of my better games a bit ago:

Jwi3cl.png

Nice, but I'm sure "undies" would be happier with that screenshot!

Speaking of screenshots, how did you take that? print screen and f12 don't seem to do anything for me.

BlackWaltz

lotta black folks here
Nice, but I'm sure "undies" would be happier with that screenshot!

Speaking of screenshots, how did you take that? print screen and f12 don't seem to do anything for me.

Funny, didn't notice his score before I posted. I've found the only way I can take a screenshot is to put the game in windowed mode and hit print screen. There may be a more efficient way that I'm unaware of.

haikira

Bit the bullet and picked up the second biggest gold bundle. I have all classes already unlocked. I've been almost only playing Doom bringer and I'm happy with what I've already got for him.

Anything across the classes, that is an absolute must buy?

Bit the bullet and picked up the second biggest gold bundle. I have all classes already unlocked. I've been almost only playing Doom bringer and I'm happy with what I've already got for him.

Anything across the classes, that is an absolute must buy?

If your digging Doombringer I'd say get Super Heavy (Perk that causes fast movers to die when they run into you) and Mines asap if you don't already have those.

Top Bottom