• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tribes: Ascend |OT| SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! WHOOHOO! (Now officially out of beta)

Zeliard

I play CTF all the time. Humble is one of my Teamspeak homies.

But in CTF I'm usually playing Raider O w/ GL/NJ5/Desert NJ4 or Soldier D with AR/Thump, with occasional DMB HoF, so I'm just chaining people out. Been messing with Brute in CTF a bit more lately and midairs aren't really any more difficult there.

When you've been weaned on Quakeworld, aiming in other games is pretty easy. You should see what I do with autos, heh.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I play CTF all the time. Humble is one of my Teamspeak homies.

But in CTF I'm usually playing Raider O w/ GL/NJ5/Desert NJ4 or Soldier D with AR/Thump, with occasional DMB HoF, so I'm just chaining people out. Been messing with Brute in CTF a bit more lately and midairs aren't really any more difficult there.

When you've been weaned on Quakeworld, aiming in other games is pretty easy. You should see what I do with autos, heh.

Boo.

I walk the lonely road of a Pathfinder, unless there are lots of snipers(Inf), Or I feel like making it rain(TCN+Tank)

Zeliard

Boo.

I walk the lonely road of a Pathfinder, unless there are lots of snipers(Inf), Or I feel like making it rain(TCN+Tank)

stfun00b is also a guy I teamspeak with. Are you Shuichi? Don't think I've ever seen you, strangely. I'll add you tho.

I play Inf when I feel like being a jerk (though never with the Jackal or Smoke Grenades, both of which I haven't even unlocked), and also occasionally Tech, since I love his SMG.

Mainly Raider O or Soldier D. Depends on the map and what the team needs. HoF can be a lot of fun if you have good LD support. It's nightmarish if you don't, but that's gotten a bit better with the recent matchmaking changes. And Titan Launcher is just great against incoming shintokis.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Si, I am Shuichi.

Standard layouts for both Inf and TCN. So I stick with the SMGs on both. Not a very good Inf, but I really only do it to disrupt snipers on their team. If they are a poor one, they'll most likely switch class. Good ones, I can at least distract them and create some chances for our team.

TCN SMG though is beastly, so I do well with that one. I stick with tank than. Either defense and flag camping. Works better than a heavy on it I'd say. Or I go shell their base, create some more chances for our team when they send the 2-3 to bring it down.

Only changes are with the PTH. Rifle for secondry, and now Explosive for grenade.

I'm not really anything special though. I'm an average player who has slightly better insight than most at seeing what needs to be done for a win. Basically, I get stomped pretty badly against certain players, but I also know those are the players I have to target to create chances.

Zeliard

My problem with playing Path is I feel capping is too mechanical and repetitive for my tastes. I can definitely see the thrill in awesome speed grabs, but I'm just too lazy to learn and practice any of the routes. :p

It's the same reason I don't really want to play Jugg, like, ever. Going to some predetermined spot and sitting there spamming mirvs or disc sniping or whatever is like anti-fun to me. I prefer to be in the action.

I hesitated with messing with Brute until just a few days ago because I'm not really a fan of the heavies unless I'm generally sitting in or around a single location, like with DMB HoF. But Brute is pretty enjoyable. Fractals even post-nerf are still pretty lame and cheap though, so I try to limit my use of them.

If you can chain pretty well with TCN SMG you should try Soldier's AR/Thump combo. Gast Rifle is a good weapon and Soldier is amazing at defense when you add Quick Draw and proxy grenades.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
How can I hold all these flags
933EEC665E9B9EF4BA7083B19A2ABB77ABC05694

I would say Path is probably the most free-ranged class, though SLD seem to be the new one after impact nerf. Many games I wouldn't even touch the flag. Some times I'll focus on returning and chasing. Other times, just camping their spawns. And Capping is always fun. Favorite are Shrike vs Path duels. :p I got the speed and magic for some pretty awesome moments of shooting them down.

I really don't play any of the heavy classes, though I will try out soldier eventually. Since they can get pretty high speeds now and almost seem better at chasing/capping due to the extra HP.

Zeliard

Other times, just camping their spawns.

Naughty.

And yeah the general consensus seems to be that Soldier is a better capper post-patch on some maps, or at least just as good.

One thing that will probably never get old is returning flags with Inf and Sonic Punch. :p Inf is a great trolling class. I haven't used it since the latest patch where Close Combat's backstab damage got upped to a beastly 1800. Need to get back to messing with that class more often.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I don't even see how its camping though. You have invincibility at the start, and I'm just skiing around your base. Killing people I see. People say its camping though.

Inf is fun, but I find him kind of boring simple because he is not a fast class. I like speed.

SLD has always been stronger for smaller maps with snipers. They can take an extra full charge. It just gives them more way now on large maps since they can boost in an extra shot. Nitro + spinfusor shot will bring you down to 100+ change now on PTH. Now while being better, its not like PTH is bad either. Just lots of bad ones who relied on the impact boost rather than strong routes. I'm not fast, but I have a variety of routes. So it wasn't too rough on me.

Zeliard

I guess it's sort of camp-ish if your purpose in being there is to kill new spawners, and you're kinda just chilling around that area. :p If you just happen to be around the base then I wouldn't consider it camping. It's generally looked down upon to hit spawns but it's not something I've frequently encountered. It's no big deal to me personally, though it's not something I engage in.

And can't you get up to decently good speeds with Inf + Stealth fusor? I dunno since going >170 disables cloaking, so it's not something I really go for.

I still haven't tried Permafrost. Supposed to be silly but fun. Gonna try it later tonight prolly.

nan0

And yeah the general consensus seems to be that Soldier is a better capper post-patch on some maps, or at least just as good.

Technically this may be true. But most SLD cappers just plainly suck. I consider myself a pretty good PTH capper, but I'm seriously annoyed by all those llama-grabbing SLDs, who take the flag right in front of my 270+ route, just to get smashed a second later by the enemies' defenses. They may have a bit more health, but they are far less mobile and flexible to get away from the chasers (if they don't already have decent speed while grabbing).

reektann

Technically this may be true. But most SLD cappers just plainly suck. I consider myself a pretty good PTH capper, but I'm seriously annoyed by all those llama-grabbing SLDs, who take the flag right in front of my 270+ route, just to get smashed a second later by the enemies' defenses. They may have a bit more health, but they are far less mobile and flexible to get away from the chasers (if they don't already have decent speed while grabbing).

Yeah I think its downright disgusting that people want to play the game they have installed. They should all read the giant rule book that comes with it telling them exactly what they can and cannot do.

Fitz

My latest game, from last night:

tribesascend2012-07-3jnjlv.png

Hey that's me no.1 on the other team! Fitz.

Although what's with the ranks on that scoreboard? To me my rank shows as a silver colour, like two up from the starting bronze colour, rank 10 or 11 atm I think.

Nvm I'm an idiot, I use Fitz in just about everything I do online, but not in Tribes, thought I was looking at myself! Although I was certain I played a game with you, I must be imagining it.

nan0

Yeah I think its downright disgusting that people want to play the game they have installed. They should all read the giant rule book that comes with it telling them exactly what they can and cannot do.

So, you think its okay to kill your teammates in games with friendly fire or only scoring own goals in soccer "just because you can"?

reektann

So, you think its okay to kill your teammates in games with friendly fire or only scoring own goals in soccer "just because you can"?

No, as those are both guaranteed negative effects upon your team if you're taking away a point scoring an own goal or killing a team mate. An alternate class, other than PTH having a go at grabbing a flag, is not.

Either way - if it's so bad that I see people constantly bitching and moaning in the chat "OMG LLAMAS" etc, then just surely it makes sense to go on a priv server with some legit pickup game players.

Zeliard

Hey that's me no.1 on the other team! Fitz.

Although what's with the ranks on that scoreboard? To me my rank shows as a silver colour, like two up from the starting bronze colour, rank 10 or 11 atm I think.

Nvm I'm an idiot, I use Fitz in just about everything I do online, but not in Tribes, thought I was looking at myself! Although I was certain I played a game with you, I must be imagining it.

We may have played together if you're on US East, most likely prior to the matchmaking changes.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
No, as those are both guaranteed negative effects upon your team if you're taking away a point scoring an own goal or killing a team mate. An alternate class, other than PTH having a go at grabbing a flag, is not.

Either way - if it's so bad that I see people constantly bitching and moaning in the chat "OMG LLAMAS" etc, then just surely it makes sense to go on a priv server with some legit pickup game players.

I would say the asshole is the one who is continually hurting his own team, while bitching about people telling him to stop. Saying how he has the right too, how he paid, they shouldn't play pub, etc, etc. Kind of like one of those irritable people in a movie theater talking.

That's not to say there aren't people who are assholes and just expect to be the only one to grab a flag. I've had those before where he scored a single flag in some 20 odd attempts with that straight forward or back terribly easy to kill route. But I've had way more players who just insistently llama the flag every 30 seconds.

I maybe able to get Obsidian for Generation kills, but I don't think I'll be able to get the 1000 road rage kills anytime soon. Making that and the headshot one the ones I probably won't be able to max.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
it has been a long time since I played skill-based games a lot. I'm doing much, much better now than even 2 weeks ago.

On the other hand I'm good at any COD-like game the moment I start playing it.

also I finally inlocked techie's thumper.

Nymerio

What gear are people using? I'm mostly playing soldier in tdm currently but I'm pretty much running around vanilla except for the egocentric perk and the anti personell grenade. Any recommendations for good perks for tdm?

moojito

What gear are people using? I'm mostly playing soldier in tdm currently but I'm pretty much running around vanilla except for the egocentric perk and the anti personell grenade. Any recommendations for good perks for tdm?

I'd imagine that health-on-ammo-pickup one would be a good one to have.

Zeliard

For secondary perk I usually use either Quick Draw or Survivalist for most classes. Survivalist when maxed out gives you a decent amount of both health and energy back for each ammo nugget you pick up.

When I'm using Brute I always use Survivalist since it synergizes really well with that class. With Soldier I use Quick Draw for the super-fast switching between rifle and thumper. If you're using that weapon combo, Quick Draw is an excellent choice.

Both of those perks are very good, though you can only have one of them equipped at a time.

For primary perks, Safety Third is a solid one. Increases blast radius on grenades and gives you an extra one.

Egocentric for Soldier is basically pointless in TDM unless you're disc-jumping a lot for some reason. :p I'd replace it whenever you can with Quick Draw. Also for Soldier, snag the Utility Pack. I'd make that my first priority over the perks.

Nymerio

Yeah, Egocentric is a leftover from when I was mostly playing Pathfinder. I'll try the health pickup one later,seems like a good choice.

moojito

Is there some good videos somewhere showing good routes as a pathfinder? Tartarus is one I'm having trouble with.

That'd be youtube you'll be looking for. "<map> routes" oughtta do it. If you see the name smallkiwi you should check his out first of all.

BlackWaltz

lotta black folks here
Just played Juggernaut for the first time(literally never played once in an actual game) at level 25. It never seemed like the sort of class I'd enjoy, due to aiming the mortar from long distances, but for some reason it just clicked and I was pegging stuff within the first shot or so every time. I unlocked the LMG(all my time playing HoF/SoF/Sentinel have really helped my chain aim and this gun is ridiculous), disk grenade and the Fusion Mortar Deluxe, and am currently running Safety Third/Quick Draw. I love having the extra grenade, but was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for a replacement for Safety Third? Maybe Looter or Bounty Hunter?

Nymerio

What's the best way to make use of the soldier's thumper? I generally only use the spinfusor and switch to the thumper if I don't have any spinfusor ammo left. Are there any situations where the thumper is the better choice or does it simply come down to preference?

BlackWaltz

lotta black folks here
What's the best way to make use of the soldier's thumper? I generally only use the spinfusor and switch to the thumper if I don't have any spinfusor ammo left. Are there any situations where the thumper is the better choice or does it simply come down to preference?

Personally, I prefer the AR over the Spinfusor, for that exact reason, that the thumper and spinfusor fill the same role. I feel that setup(AR/spin) covers the bases better than any other configuration(although spin/eagle can do the same to a lesser extent).

Nymerio

Spinfusor + Assault Rifle would be cool. I prefer to play with t spinfusor because the disc travels in a straight line. Maybe I'll try the pistol once I have enough experience points.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Fuck your blue plates! Shot down a Shrike and Tank with a single shot.

I'm a bad man.

Edit: Got put into a low level game...5 DMBs out of 12 players. Lots of Fs

Nymerio

This is pretty much the only game where I actually really feel like I'm improving. With most multiplayer games I get bored after a couple rounds but this is something different. Played a few rounds this weekend and now I can get at least one blue plate per match I even managed to get three blue plates in a match once. I also consistently manage to hit people when I'm leading my shots. I may not be that good at this game but damn I'm having fun.

Feels awesome.

fallout

This is pretty much the only game where I actually really feel like I'm improving. With most multiplayer games I get bored after a couple rounds but this is something different. Played a few rounds this weekend and now I can get at least one blue plate per match I even managed to get three blue plates in a match once. I also consistently manage to hit people when I'm leading my shots. I may not be that good at this game but damn I'm having fun.

Feels awesome.
It is really nice to see yourself improve. The big thing for me was that even though I was awful to start (and still not very good), I felt like I was contributing.

moojito

The bad side is when you feel you're doing your job perfectly but still fail due to random pub team mates not doing theirs.

Zeliard

One common mistake a lot of less experienced players make in CTF is they'll stay in the gen room all game long which basically removes those players from game.

You'll be much more helpful to your team in most cases if you guard the flag stand instead of the generator, or attack the enemy flag stand to remove mines, harass the defenders, etc. Where the gen becomes more important is in Sunstar where it controls the flag stand shield (and on Permafrost, though I haven't tried that map yet).

There's nothing inherently wrong with keeping the gen up, repairing/upgrading turrets, the sensor, etc, and these things can be helpful, but if you've got several people doing that at the expense of defending the flag, it hurts your team in the long run. The flags are what matter in the end; the gen is just an accessory.

Fuck your blue plates! Shot down a Shrike and Tank with a single shot.

I'm a bad man.

Edit: Got put into a low level game...5 DMBs out of 12 players. Lots of Fs

hehe, taking Shrikes down always feel great.

And yeah, matchmaking feels like it's taken a couple steps back lately. I think they increased the rank spread again. Oh wells.

Thumper is always the better choice, as far as effectiveness. Thumper DX + Gast Rifle + Quick Draw is a beastly combination due to how quickly you can switch between the two, and how well they work together. The Eagle Pistol is solid since it's hitscan, and Spinfusors are always fun to use, but that combo is just less effective in most cases than Thump/AR.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Matchmaking is back to largely silver players being the chunk now, with the occasional Gold game. Prior, it was basically 30+ in most my games. Now I'm getting half silver again. Which isn't too bad. Less Sents. Heh

subversus

I think I'm getting pretty good being technician.

10-15/2 KDR per match and usually end up in top 3-5 players.

moojito

I have finally seen the light of the explosive nitron. For ages I couldn't get the hang of them at all, but now I'm getting some nice speeds up. The only map I can't get a route on as pathfinder is tartarus. No matter how many videos I watch, I just can't do any of them.

It also seems they've taken stonehenge out of the rotation, thank god. What a rubbish map that was.

derFeef

This game is so weird for me. I highly enjoy it for like an hour, but then the frustration kicks in with different things. Maybe I should try a complete different playstyle.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I want to sell my Tribes: Ascend account as i don't have time for the game anymore.

* Level 26
* 3 classes almost mastered (2 mastered, afew % left on a 3rd)
* 920 gold (a name change costs 300-350 gold)
* 74% win rate
* Most items unlocked on other classes
* All skins unlocked
* Beta badge
* Comes with Smite beta

I spent 71USDbucks on the game. I want $80AUD (Australian Dollars) Paypal. PM me.

enjoy both bans.

subversus

This game is so weird for me. I highly enjoy it for like an hour, but then the frustration kicks in with different things. Maybe I should try a complete different playstyle.

I never play it for more than one hour. You have to concetrate in order to do anything in this game.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I don't understand? People are allowed to sell TF2 items on Gaf and charge money for Steam gifts, even some Gaf mods do it.

you dont understand the difference between things designed to trade hands and personal accounts?

ultron87

I got some gold from when I bought a pack on the steam sale but I don't have anything to buy because I only want to use a spinfusor. Hmm.

I hate fractal grenades. You're the worst, slowly expanding death field.

As someone who played the Brute heavily while getting adjusted to combat, I think they are the easiest class to dominate interiors with. With heavy armor, the heavy spinfusor and fractals they can dish out so much punishment in enclosed spaces.

Fractals do suck when they're thrown on the flag though.

Top Bottom