• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tribes: Ascend |OT| SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! WHOOHOO! (Now officially out of beta)

Jubbly

Just started playing this and it is really cool, but two things are bumming me out:

1) My mouse fucking blows and "turns off" randomly for a few seconds. I really need a new one lol.

2) Grinding out the ass for unlocks.

From what I can tell unlocks in this game are crazy dumb. Worst of all there are "upgrades" which basically makes every piece a grind and puts me at a disadvantage for everything. How long does it take to unlock everything for a single class... how about all the classes(which there are several locked)?

They really want me to spend my money.

EDIT: How much would it cost to have everything unlocked?

Wow. Think I'm going to put this down soon lol.

Apologies in advance for the somewhat condescending tone of this reply, just a tad tired of people shitting on the 'grind' without reading any of the previous posts in this thread :)

Step 1) Buy the $10 starter pack (sooner the better, frankly, as the VIP double XP will help massively)
Step 2) Get the free Facebook gold: http://apps.facebook.com/freegoldtribes/contests/196147
Step 3) Get the free Soldier Spinfusor: http://www.mmorpg.com/giveaways.cfm/offer/330/Tribes-Ascend-Spinfusor-Gift-Keys.html
Step 4) Win at least one match a day to get the 'first win of the day' 1200 XP bonus.
Step 5) Work towards the badges in the Profile menu - each gives XP, and the Obsidian ones can give up to 5000 XP (play CTF as they're far easier to achieve in that mode).
Step 6) Try out any class, weapon or upgrade you're interested in in the training mode, because everything is free there.
Step 7) Realize that as a free to play game Hi-Rez has to make money somehow, hence why they don't gift everything to you.
Step 8) After you're familiar with the game, recognize that the XP cost:time equation is similar to that of League of Legends and far fairer than many other F2P games.
Step 9) Discover that other than guns and perks, the XP for upgrades can be achieved within a few decent rounds.

Ign review

Didn't see it posted, pretty good score, but the review is kind of lacking.

I watched the video review in HD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx17c8zlDRE&hd=1 Horrible gameplay from the reviewer, and yet more bitching about the vehicles (seriously, tanks and Shrikes wreck shit, spawning them for free is a terrible idea).

The text review also chucks in odd comments occasionally, like this: "Tribes does a good job of rewarding performance during a match, but some of the purchasable items sorely need a rework." Care to expand? Uh.. no? OK.

But whatever, the 9 will add to the Metacritic rating and that's unfortunately what most people look at nowadays: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/tribes-ascend/critic-reviews

Final words from IGN: "No other shooter conveys the same sense of speed – or the rush of pleasure that comes from nailing someone at over 100 KPH – as Tribes." /facepalm

Edit: If Mark Rein ever leaves Epic he'll be fantastic as a PR person: https://twitter.com/#!/MarkRein/statuses/193181129455566849 / https://twitter.com/#!/MarkRein/statuses/193182221568442368 / https://twitter.com/#!/MarkRein/statuses/193182750822502400

NBtoaster

UE3 is an ugly choice for this game. So much pop-in at the speed you go. Especially that map with all the rivers and canals.

Dosia

Didnt vehicles spawn for free in tribes 2? I just remember there being a limit for how many can be on the field at once. Having to pay for them is stupid imo.

Riposte

I appreciate the tips (would have missed some of the free stuff at least).

(50 dollars isn't so bad for everything)

Card Boy

Banned
Didnt vehicles spawn for free in tribes 2? I just remember there being a limit for how many can be on the field at once. Having to pay for them is stupid imo.

Custom servers will allow for free vehicle spawns if you wish.

That IGN review also mentioned $30 gets you everything which is false.

Des0lar

will learn eventually

Do you really want to have 4 shrikes in the air constantly. Really?

Broseybrose

Custom servers will allow for free vehicle spawns if you wish.

That IGN review also mentioned $30 gets you everything which is false.

I know. I spent $30 and while it unlocked maybe 75% of all there is to upgrade there's still 2 guns i really wish i could unlock not to mention all the belt pack armor and perk upgrades i still need.

Still, fps of the decade.

I don't understand why the Beowulf is so underrated. I've been using it pretty much constantly for a while now on defense and it's honestly rare when I don't end up first on my team. I almost always have the most kills, and by far. The name is Gaberson.

demolitio

I don't understand why the Beowulf is so underrated. I've been using it pretty much constantly for a while now and it's honestly rare when I don't end up first on my team. I almost always have the most kills, and by far. The name is Gaberson.

Same. I got 3 orbital strikes just from 1 life in that tank.

Flunkie

Banned
This is my first Tribes game. It's so fast and fun. I could ski all day. I just want a game with jetpacking and skiing and I'd be happy.

Nymerio

I love CTF but I'm really surprised by how much fun I'm having with TDM. The guy in the gametrailers review mentions how you always go away from the game with at least one special moment. Absolutely true.

Jubbly

I love CTF but I'm really surprised by how much fun I'm having with TDM. The guy in the gametrailers review mentions how you always go away from the game with at least one special moment. Absolutely true.

Very true, shall share yesterday's - was 4-4 in a super close CTF match, had the enemy flag, saw enemy capper coming my way with our flag, fired off a Spinfusor round, blue plated him, flag dropped perfectly in my path, capped the flag, won the day, fist pumped the air with an accompanying "FUCK YEA!"

Can't remember the last MP game that's given me that kind of high.

Zeliard

Yeah TDM is a lot of fun. It's kinda silly especially with tons of people running around, but the frantic pace and general craziness with people and projectiles flying all over the place also makes it very enjoyable at the same time. Reminds me a lot of Clan Arena pubs in Quake. Not much in the way of tactics or strategy as far as teamwork, relatively-speaking, but a fun aim and movement showcase and good practice as well.

My only beef is it ends too early when you've got a packed server. Doesn't take very long to get to 100 kills especially with the 2-for-1s when a team is holding the flag. They should increase the frag limit depending on how many people are in the server, or something like that.

And I love the game's look. It's spartan but attractive at the same time. Everyone is always nicely visible, which is usually the main reason to turn down settings other than the FPS boost. I was intending on picmip'ing the bitch up once I got a good feel for the game, but I don't think I will. Keeping it on the High preset I'm usually at 60 FPS or higher, with a few drops only when there are tons of people around, and it sometimes looks surprisingly pretty (especially some of the sky boxes, like in Nightabatic). I probably will tweak the .ini later on but I think I'll keep it at roughly similar settings.

Nymerio

Very true, shall share yesterday's - was 4-4 in a super close CTF match, had the enemy flag, saw enemy capper coming my way with our flag, fired off a Spinfusor round, blue plated him, flag dropped perfectly in my path, capped the flag, won the day, fist pumped the air with an accompanying "FUCK YEA!"

Can't remember the last MP game that's given me that kind of high.

Blue plating someone has to rank in the most satisfying things things you can do in gaming. One of my favourite moments happened on the first day on that lava map. Was speeding through that tunnel in the middle with over 170 sanics and another player came skiing in from the other side. Managed to blue plate him when he passed me. That was pretty much a split second thing, one moment he was in front of me, then I turned sideways, pulled the trigger and killed him in one shot.

I also regularly catch myself sitting on the edge of my chair and leaning back from the mouse. Especially when I have the flag. I must look like a total dork doing that. I think it's awesome :). It's been too long since I enjoyed a game like I did Tribes Ascend.

Dina

I still am unsure what the role of the Raider is supposed to be. I unlocked it, but I can't seem to find any purpose to him. Juggernauts kill me indoors near the generator room and outdoors Spinfusor classes are much better at dogfighting. I hear the SMG is nice but the entire class seems to be build around having a grenadelauncher (which I suck with).

Jubbly

I still am unsure what the role of the Raider is supposed to be. I unlocked it, but I can't seem to find any purpose to him. Juggernauts kill me indoors near the generator room and outdoors Spinfusor classes are much better at dogfighting. I hear the SMG is nice but the entire class seems to be build around having a grenadelauncher (which I suck with).

He's great at blowing bases up. Tribes Wiki should help you: http://www.tribesascendwiki.com/Raider

Des0lar

will learn eventually

With the scrambler equipped, base defenses can't target you and you can reveal cloaked infs. Raiders are monsters indoors.

Zeliard

What's a good duel class outside of the Soldier? Wondering which to unlock next for TDM. I've already unlocked the Sentinel but haven't used him much yet, and he's obviously weaker in close-range combat (with the default loadout at least). Dunno if I want to go for one of the heavier classes since I like going after flag carriers, though Doombringer seems like he can tear some shit up with that chain gun.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
No real point with 4 shrikes in the air with how small the maps are compared to tribes 2. You're not going to get epic dogfights and air superiority matches with this game.

Just started playing this and it is really cool, but two things are bumming me out:

1) My mouse fucking blows and "turns off" randomly for a few seconds. I really need a new one lol.

2) Grinding out the ass for unlocks.

It's not your mouse. My mouse does that two ONLY when playing this game.

Yeah they did. They had energy pools too. Either use it as a shield automatically, or boost. It was perfect balance.

The shrike also had little lasers as opposed to something with a stupidly large blast radius. It took a lot more skill to kill with the shrike as well as be killed. There were hard limits on vehicles in that game. All were powerful, but all had counters to them too. This game... meh... tank is only really viable as defense. Offense you get boned.

No real point with 4 shrikes in the air with how small the maps are compared to tribes 2. You're not going to get epic dogfights and air superiority matches with this game.

Not going to get ANY real vehicle action. It sucks... they are adding a Havok down the road... which is dumb because only doombringers is the only "real" counter to air, but it's so fucking slow and not many people have doombringer.

This and not being able to overcome air momentum wit jets are still my biggest problems with this game

This games physics are wrong. It slows down the game a lot.
http://forum.hirezstudios.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=834018#p834018

Here is a simple javascript program using the Tribes 2 (simplified) calculations. It's how the jetting is supposed to work compared to what we have now.

Looks like they have a custom server preview going. Which one of you wants to rent a server, so we can shazbot all over each other?

Zeliard

It seems pretty popular. Just not 'round these parts. But given the little attention nearly every skill-based shooter gets around here, it isn't really a surprise.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
I'm not sure what Hi Rez could do about this but nearly all of the CTF games I played today has been 5-0s. Stacked teams of 15+ ranks against a bunch of 6-10s. Maybe disable the option to switch teams in PUG matches?

What needs to happen is randomized teams. After a round or two wherein one team completely dominates the other people will sit and spam-click to join the team that won the previous round. There's a reason why teams were randomized in previous iterations.

Though that often happens when the team aren't willing to play as a team too. Really frustrating when that happens.

The game doesn't really promote team tactics...

1 man tanks.

Call in strikes.

Rewards for terrible things like Llama grabbing, and grabbing dropped flags that are in secure spots. Health Regen allows more "rambo" style gameplay vs going in as a team like in T2... =/

Dosia

The tank sucks. Its so easy to destroy one it isnt even funny. Whts the rumor of bringing in the havoc transport? That will be nice hauling the jugs to the other base.

I ended up paying $50 bucks to support the devs. While the game isnt as good as tribes 2, it is still more fun the most of the games coming out today. Hopefully Rez continues to fix things in the game. Are custom maps like zero chance of ever happening?

moop1167

Anyone else getting a message saying they can't retrieve your account data? I guess I already had an account made, but when I try to log on it gives me an error.

Riposte

It seems pretty popular. Just not 'round these parts. But given the little attention nearly every skill-based shooter gets around here, it isn't really a surprise.

Good FPS seem to get ignored on NeoGAF. Hardly anyone talked about Serious Sam 3.

Gisk

Banned
The game doesn't really promote team tactics...

1 man tanks.

Call in strikes.

Rewards for terrible things like Llama grabbing, and grabbing dropped flags that are in secure spots. Health Regen allows more "rambo" style gameplay vs going in as a team like in T2... =/

Time out here.

I don't think the attitude of 'Oh woe is me, T:A isn't exactly like T2', really belongs in this Tribes thread.
The game is great (but not perfect) as it is and whining about small things like the physics makes you seem rather childish.

If you really wanted teamwork, you could play with your friends or play on a high ranked server. T:A gives you these options.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The tank sucks. Its so easy to destroy one it isnt even funny. Whts the rumor of bringing in the havoc transport? That will be nice hauling the jugs to the other base.

I ended up paying $50 bucks to support the devs. While the game isnt as good as tribes 2, it is still more fun the most of the games coming out today. Hopefully Rez continues to fix things in the game. Are custom maps like zero chance of ever happening?

I'm torn on tanks because they were way too powerful in Tribes 2. Far too maneuverable, and could easily spam well outside of rang of anything that could take them out. Could really only destroy by getting lucky.

Time out here.

I don't think the attitude of 'Oh woe is me, T:A isn't exactly like T2', really belongs in this Tribes thread.
The game is great (but not perfect) as it is and whining about small things like the physics makes you seem rather childish.

If you really wanted teamwork, you could play with your friends or play on a high ranked server. T:A gives you these options.

His point isn't about physics, more that people attempt to play the game in a way that doesn't necessarily emphasize team work first in a team work demanding mode like CTF. They do this because such behavior is rewarded and sometimes pretty handsomely. The problem currently isn't that there is no option to play in an environment where positions and defensive and offensive tactics are equally as important, it's that custom servers are still not available to rent. Once that happens I'll be able to easily turn a blind eye to match-making. As it stands there just are not enough servers available that suit these settings.

Time out here.

I don't care if T:A isn't EXACTLY like Tribes 2. Tribes 2 is dated. Fact. Tribes Ascend does skiing better, tribes ascend does other things better, but the things that worked WELL for Tribes got removed in Tribes Ascend causing complete imbalance. The whole class and medals system leads to 5 - 0 matches all the time. The XP system is broke too. It's not on how well you do, it's how long the game goes. So people turtle all the time. They run around with the enemy flag not capping to get more XP in the end. The exact XP they use to unlock new weapons.

I'm not bitching because it's not exactly Tribes 2, I'm bitching because what worked worked, and what HiRez did obviously DOESN'T work. That's why I'm bitching. I'm sorry fucking hate what Bioware did with Mass Effect. I'm sorry I don't like games that are half assed or poorly design. I'm sorry I don't pay for Day 1 DLC. What I'm NOT sorry for is NOT settling for less. This is what people have done with this industry. They accept what the developer gives them. Just because it's F2P it get's a free pass with all of it's flaws. F2P is a pay model, NOT an excuse for poor programing and game design.

Oh and I can't SAY how many times I'd say "I'll go for the enemy flag. I have the flag, I have the flag, I have the flag," as I'm going 240+ for some DOLT to walk over the flag because he get's a bunch of points for it.

Yes, I'm fucking mad.

Card Boy

Banned
phosphor112 i think custom servers will solve many of your problems by the sounds of it. Hang in there.

I think i might rent one out and ban strikes, and make it a Pathfinder and Solider only server.

Top Bottom