• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tribes: Ascend |OT| SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! WHOOHOO! (Now officially out of beta)

phosphor112 i think custom servers will solve many of your problems by the sounds of it. Hang in there.

I think i might rent one out and ban strikes, and make it a Pathfinder and Solider only server.

Maybe. I'm still looking for a server that I like.

Good FPS seem to get ignored on NeoGAF. Hardly anyone talked about Serious Sam 3.

I actually haven't realized it till this thread and it's quite startling :/

ID: tuxor

Let's tear shit up.

about time

add me (I'm not near my PC) : pinksock

Love Doombringer class. Sitting on the flag is literally a viable strategy.

wat

phosphor112 i think custom servers will solve many of your problems by the sounds of it. Hang in there.

I think i might rent one out and ban strikes, and make it a Pathfinder and Solider only server.

image.php

avatar quotes haven't been banned?

Flunkie

Banned
Alright I suck at this, though it's fun as hell. First time to play a Tribes game and I started out with Team Deathmatch. What a clusterfuck. Not for me. Tried CTF and never looked back. So amazing. But yet, I suck. I remember someone posted an easy startup guide thingy so I'm gonna look for that. The rush of that first flag cap though, wow.

But most importantly, I need people to play with. My name is Flunkie on there, so send me a request!

Tribes baby. CTF is always king.

inMoment is probably something you would like

I've been meaning to try that.

ALSO, do you guys play in third person or first person? I noticed from the get-go that it was far easier for me to play in third person.

demolitio

Anyone who is a team player and plays CTF or Capture and Hold, feel free to add "demolitio4" on there and we can kick ass. So far I've been dominating but it's hit or miss as far as my team goes because one defender can't last long. Usually, I like to attack but I try to fill the role that's needed. I'd love to play with some other people, have some fun and rake in the XP.

Core Zero

I am terrible at this game but I'm having a blast with it, not really normally the shooter type but this is working for me.

Name in game is CoreZero, feel free to add me.

Flunkie

Banned
Anyone who is a team player and plays CTF or Capture and Hold, feel free to add "demolitio4" on there and we can kick ass. So far I've been dominating but it's hit or miss as far as my team goes because one defender can't last long. Usually, I like to attack but I try to fill the role that's needed. I'd love to play with some other people, have some fun and rake in the XP.
It says you don't exist.

Zeliard

I keep getting these goobers trying to kickvote me in TDM, lul. I barely even chat, and I just use Spinfusor w/ Soldier so they can't cry about chaingun or whatever. Some bitches can't handle it I guess. :>

thespot84

I keep getting these goobers trying to kickvote me in TDM, lul. I barely even chat, and I just use Spinfusor w/ Soldier so they can't cry about chaingun or whatever. Some bitches can't handle it I guess. :>

lol I first read that as "i barely even cheat" and was super confused.

Zeliard

lol I first read that as "i barely even cheat" and was super confused.

Haha :p

But yeah some of these guys need to lighten up a bit. I also see a lot of complaints about SMG and chaingun/LMG use, but typically you can handle people who use those weaps. The heavies are big and slow and tend to be asking for discs to the face and grenades in their vicinity, and effective use of the Spinfusor in general tends to visibly rattle a lot of opponents who are using a machine gun of some sort.

I've encountered a few who happen to have good, steady aim with weapons of that sort, and hey, more power to 'em. To me they just aren't nearly as fun to use as the ol' Spinfusor, though I did dabble with the Soldier's assault rifle for a bit before I unlocked the Spinfusor. And I largely hate using heavies in TDM. Too slow for my liking (at least for someone who hasn't memorized the hills and slopes), and such big, honkin', obvious targets.

Haha :p

But yeah some of these guys need to lighten up a bit. I also see a lot of complaints about SMG and chaingun/LMG use, but typically you can handle people who use those weaps. The heavies are big and slow and tend to be asking for discs to the face and grenades in their vicinity, and effective use of the Spinfusor in general tends to visibly rattle a lot of opponents who are using a machine gun of some sort.

I've encountered a few who happen to have good, steady aim with weapons of that sort, and hey, more power to 'em. To me they just aren't nearly as fun to use as the ol' Spinfusor, though I did dabble with the Soldier's assault rifle for a bit before I unlocked the Spinfusor. And I largely hate using heavies in TDM. Too slow for my liking (at least for someone who hasn't memorized the hills and slopes), and such big, honkin', obvious targets.

Heavies only seem useful for base defense. I've tried futilely to chase flag-grabbers. I can just imagine my guy being out of breath.

"...Go...go on without me. He's just, uh...he went over that mountain. I'll just...I'm going back to base...*gasp*"

thespot84

Heavies only seem useful for base defense. I've tried futilely to chase flag-grabbers. I can just imagine my guy being out of breath.

"...Go...go on without me. He's just, uh...he went over that mountain. I'll just...I'm going back to base...*gasp*"

they're damned effective at destroying the other teams defenses on the flag, almost necessary

So given that you have to purchase "space bux" and can't simply purchase unlocks themselves, what is a good up front investment into this game without taking the fun out of unlocking things with earned XP? Personally I'd like to put enough money into the game just to unlock the classes, and then unlock the weapons/upgrades/perks myself.

I'd like to hear about anyone else's experiences with what it is they purchased and how they are liking the unlock progression in the game.

Jubbly

You need to be a Pathfinder to chase *cue Benny Hill music*

thespot84

So given that you have to purchase "space bux" and can't simply purchase unlocks themselves, what is a good up front investment into this game without taking the fun out of unlocking things with earned XP? Personally I'd like to put enough money into the game just to unlock the classes, and then unlock the weapons/upgrades/perks myself.

I'd like to hear about anyone else's experiences with what it is they purchased and how they are liking the unlock progression in the game.

they payoff for grinding xp changes depending on what 'tier' you're talking about. xp is best used on things that are a bit cheaper (and is the only thing that can be spent on stuff like armor upgrades), which gold has the best return on stuff that normally costs 42k exp. I dropped $30 and was able to unlock a few weapons I wanted (that would cost 100k xp). With the xp I've gained from the boost (about 50k since) i was able to upgrade the armor of the classes I play most. The boost helps the xp grind enormously, so I'd almost pay the $30 for that alone.

Zeliard

lol, speaking of the Benny Hill theme, that is TDM in a nutshell. You've got half the team chasing down the flag carrier as the other half basically engages in random duels. You could play the Benny Hill theme over so many of those matches, especially if the flag carrier is a decent Pathfinder and knows how to fly around the map, as others futilely chase him around.

TDM is really dumb but really fun at the same time. It's basically a glorified FFA, at least in pubs. My only issue with it is that the matches are way too short. Matches that last 4-5 minutes are a regularity.

Just started playing this myself and I'm hooked so far. The F2P aspects are actually really well done, I played a few matches free to see if I enjoyed it and then I dropped just the $10 to get VIP status. From there the unlocks honestly don't seem too much worse than say Bad Company 2. They look to take more grind time versus BC2, but the ability to pick and choose what you want to unlock means that you can just check out a wiki and pick and choose your future layout as opposed to a set unlock path.

I'm playing Technician so far, I'm always drawn to support classes in games (BC2 Medic, TF2 Medic / Engineer) and I like how busy I stay on defense the whole match. I can't claim to be very good with just a few matches under my belt, but I try to keep things all up and running.

I'm TheFightingFish on it if anyone wants to add me. Though I will say that I'm only on one hour or two a week probably and at some rather odd times.

Flunkie

Banned
I.. I can't stop playing this.

My hands hurt.

I started out in third person all the time but have figured out that I'm much better in first person. It was nice starting out in third person to kind of get a feel for the game's mechanics and learn the maps, but now I'm honing my killing skills and first person is much better for that. Still like how third person gives you a better view of what's going on, though.

What all effects XP? I'm assuming kills, flag captures, winning the match etc... but does anyone know everything that contributes to XP in a given match? Assists? Repair points? Flag defenses? Certain badges earned? Etc. etc.

Zeliard

I.. I can't stop playing this.

My hands hurt.

I started out in third person all the time but have figured out that I'm much better in first person. It was nice starting out in third person to kind of get a feel for the game's mechanics and learn the maps, but now I'm honing my killing skills and first person is much better for that. Still like how third person gives you a better view of what's going on, though.

Try to increase the FOV and see if that helps. It should give you a better view of the surroundings.

I personally use an FOV of 110, which I also used in Quake 1 and use in Quake Live, albeit at a much lower screen resolution there. I find aiming to be much more comfortable at higher FOVs, along with being able to see more of the environment.

depths20XX

Really surprised more people aren't into this. This is like a breath of fresh air when it comes to multiplayer FPS. Been playing a bit each day. Actually gonna put down some money on it tonight.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Katabatic is such a horribly mismatched map. Blood Eagle's gen are is far less defensible as people can ski in at full speed. and Diamond Sword also gets one of it's turrets defending the outside gen room entrance, while Blood Eagle has the worthless turret behind it's main base.

wrong thread...since I'm in here.

Katabatic is such a horribly mismatched map. Blood Eagle's gen are is far less defensible as people can ski in at full speed. and Diamond Sword also gets one of it's turrets defending the outside gen room entrance, while Blood Eagle has the worthless turret behind it's main base.

Shut up you're wrong.

You're 100% correct.

Really surprised more people aren't into this. This is like a breath of fresh air when it comes to multiplayer FPS. Been playing a bit each day. Actually gonna put down some money on it tonight.

You mean more people as in GAF people? Because when I do matchmaking I hardly ever run into the same people. There are tons of people playing this game.

Griever skin looks awesome. All those new weapons seems OP to me, am i wrong in thinking this? I assume 800 gold will get your all the weapons in the bundle again.

The SMG seems ok but the plasma.. those projectiles seem to be going way too fast for the rate of fire it has. I'll have to test it out but it does seem like it'll be broken.

What's the consensus on a GAF server or two? I'm likely going to pick one up depending on pricing, maybe even two. There doesn't seem to be a huge interest around here though.

Card Boy

Banned
I'm kinda hoping we can rent servers with in game Gold or via paypal so we can get a pool together to cover the costs. Personally i'm only up for a Aus/New Zealand Gaf server since i have no vested interest in a US or Eurozone one.

I'm loving this game. Right now I'm pretty partial to the Soldier, I've been upgrading him for the time being. Been topping the score board the last few games. If anyone wants to add me:

Vertigo-1

What's the consensus on a GAF server or two? I'm likely going to pick one up depending on pricing, maybe even two. There doesn't seem to be a huge interest around here though.

As someone who helped coordinate and rent a single server for a big game like Battlefield 3...don't expect GAF to fill it. We haven't played on our server in months because we can't get it seeded.

As someone who helped coordinate and rent a single server for a big game like Battlefield 3...don't expect GAF to fill it. We haven't played on our server in months because we can't get it seeded.

It might be better to have a weekly "GAF Tribes night" or something, and we can all party up (can you party up in this game?) and play together.

It might be better to have a weekly "GAF Tribes night" or something, and we can all party up (can you party up in this game?) and play together.

You can join on people on your friendslist.

So maybe it would be smarter to have an in game name list of the people who want to play together? That way we can add each other and play together, whether there is a big group of us around or not.

nan0

It is actually possible if you hug the wall to slide around the corner, but that requires some timing and the right direction. But yeah, I also wondered why they don't have the same entrance layout.

Jubbly

Out today, but not sure when exactly.

Major Highlights

• Three new weapons and two new skins have been added to the Raider class.
• Players may now setup Custom Servers from inside the game menu system. Custom servers are private “rooms” for you to rent and play Tribes: Ascend in. Custom servers can be password protected. The sever administrator can choose from scores of custom rulesets to help tailor the play experience as desired.
• A new Capture and Hold map has been added to the Quick Play rotation (Night Drydock).
• Several improvements to player movement in networked games have been implemented. This eliminates some of the “jerkiness” while moving within the game, especially when playing at high ping.

Weapon/Balance Items

• Added 3 new weapons for the Raider class:
o Plasma Gun: A flexible weapon, the Plasma Gun fires massive spheres of plasma that explode on contact, with excellent rate of fire.
o NJ5-B SMG: The NJ5-B has a slower rate of fire than its predecessor, but deals more damage per hit. It can also fire while in scope.
o Cluster Grenade: The cluster grenade breaks apart into several smaller bomblets on detonation, each exploding for additional damage.
• Add two new skins to the Raider class (Griever and Mercenary).
• Increased damage on the Infiltrator’s Prism Mines by roughly 14%.
• Increased damage on the Brute’s Light Sticky Grenade by 10%.
• Increased damage on the Doombringer’s Heavy Bolt Launcher by roughly 7%.
• Increased Technician’s Sparrow Pistol clip size by 2, adjusted starting ammo to 144.
• Call-ins will no longer fully reset when being moved too quickly or hitting an invalid target location. Instead they will lose build-up time.

Custom Server Notes

• All players may create their own custom servers under PLAY NOW | CUSTOM SERVERS | MANAGE SERVERS on the main menu.
• In order to activate a custom server, you must ADD RENTAL TIME using gold. You can add additional time in 10-Day, 30-Day and 90-Day buckets.
• All Custom Servers are assigned to a specific server region. You may change the assigned region at any time through the Custom Server configuration menus. The Custom Servers use the same pooled/virtual server infrastructure that is used for Quick Matches. So when a match is spun up on your Custom Server, it is done so from the shared pool of server resources available in the specific server region you chose upon server setup.
• As the owner of a custom server, you may always administer your server. You may also set an ADMIN PASSWORD that other users can use to gain access to some (but not all) administrative features of your custom server.
• XP and Badge Rewards
o Players earn their normal Base XP on non-password protected servers.
o Bonus XP is only awarded on Custom Servers when at least 6 players have been on the server at some point during a match.
o No XP is awarded on custom servers that require a password.
o Badges, Statistics and First Win of the Day are disabled on Custom Servers (so you do not earn progress toward badges while playing on Custom Servers).

Additional Items

• Match-making and backfilling logic has been improved to make it easier to get into matches with your friends (additional improvements planned for future releases).
• An issue where weapons could dry-fire if fired immediately after switching has been fixed.
• Perks are visually represented as implant chips within the main menu.
• Fixed an issue where players could sometimes appear to be jetpacking after a death.
• Fixed an issue where the Infiltrator’s Jackal would not perform an inactive reload if all of the rounds had been detonated and if the player switched weapons before the reload completed.
• Fixed an issue where the first-person weapon and body and mesh could jolt and pop while jetpacking.
• Fixed issues with the Determination perk not working properly.
• Fixed an issue where mines were being activated by friendlies in custom servers with friendly fire enabled.
• Fixed an issue where the Brute's Nova Colt and Sentinel's Nova Blaster could fire an extra shot if the clip was emptied rapidly.
• Reworked a bit of the spawn point rotation logic by fixing an issue where players would not respawn at certain spawn points.
• Fixed an issue where the announcer voices would sometimes abruptly cut out.
• Reworked spawn locations for Capture and Hold maps so that base-owned spawn locations are slightly further away from the captured base.
• The flagstand on CTF Temple Ruins has been moved back to its original position.
• Vehicles will now have proper marker coloring if a friend is in the vehicle.
• Fixed an issue where throwing a grenade and then meleeing (or vice versa) would cause you to throw an extra grenade or melee again.
• Fixed an issue where mines were able to be pushed around by vehicles, this was visual-only and had no affect on gameplay.
• Fixed an issue where player deployables weren’t able to be properly placed in certain situations, resulting in ammo consumption when it wasn’t deployed.
• Resolved an issue on Sunstar where players could get outside the map boundary.

demolitio

OMFG, as soon as I spend my last gold on the Raider's grenade launcher since I like playing that class. Now that is my luck...

I'm glad I saved up a lot of my gold/XP. Those skins, that Plasma Gun, and that Cluster Grenade launcher. All mine.

40$ for 3 months is pretty good server pricing, especially for a 32 slot server.

I've got about 7000 gold that I've been sitting on. Fully expected servers to be handled with in-game gold, it's all going to that. I do want that Griever skin though. Just wish it wasn't a Raider skin, I hate that class.

Top Bottom