• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trine 2 |OT| - The Wizard, Knight, and Rogue Adventure Once More

my gf and i couldn't get into the first one for some reason...

is this one fun to play through solo as well or does most of it come from the COOP factor?

Meader

Back when it came out on 360 right before Christmas I played the trial and immediately exited to the main menu and bought the full game and played for a while into chapter 2.

When I went back to play today the menu option said Start New Game - and I had no way to access my progress before. anyone have this issue?

I've had the same problem on 360. Downloaded the trial first, and then later purchased the full game using Xbox.com. When I came to play it, any options to do with saving are greyed out, e.g. choosing the save slot, saving during gameplay etc.

A few other people have mentioned similar issues on other forums, and there doesn't seem to be a workaround as far as I'm aware. Sucks because I really wanted to see some the later levels without marathoning through the game.

Grisby

Finished. Some of those levels could get quite long if you went after all the XP. I still ended up missing a bunch though.

I felt like some of the puzzles frustrated me more in the sequel. Some of the physics seemed a bit off but overall it was a step up in variety from the first. So, while it was frustrating at some bits I was still having a good time.

I appreciate the added story and the more dynamic camera angles for the cinematics. It made the world feel a lot less static. The story itself is a bit shit but I think I'm more disappointed because there could have been something great there.

Anyways the game is fun and for $15 it wasn;t a bad purchase at all. I feel confident in saying this is one of the best looking 2D games you will ever play. Seriously, even on the PS3 my mouth was open every few minutes. There are some drop dead gorgeous, gorgeous, fantasy locations. Jesus.

my gf and i couldn't get into the first one for some reason...

is this one fun to play through solo as well or does most of it come from the COOP factor?

Managed to finish the first one with gf, no prob at all (except the last level for her). It was my second playthrough and I must admit that COOP elevates the enjoyment level much more than playing alone.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Does the game fall apart at the end like Trine 1? The last levels were just terrible so I never finished the game.

not sure what you are referring to specifically, i never played trine 1 and your post is a bit vague, but after several hours in trine 2 i just dont give a fuck anymore. the puzzles feel all samey and the most challenging ones you can sort of fake your way through with the magician and loads of boxes. its simply not fun any longer and i doubt i'll continue much longer.

Volcynika

yeah thinking about it as well at that price...

what is the general GAF consensus for Trine 2 again?

and how is the coop this time?

Co-op is a blast. You can mix and match local/online players (2 local, 1 online, or vice versa), and you can also play while limiting the classes (only one wizard can be used at a time), or just everyone can be any class they want to.

Sciz

Just finished it, after picking it up during the sale.

My impressions are largely the same as they were after the first game, which is to say that Frozenbyte has some extraordinarily talented artists and some damn good graphics programmers who are all entirely too good for their game designers. The basic concept works, but the puzzles just aren't cleverly designed and the combat couldn't be any more flat and uninspired. There's zero penalty for failure, leading to boss battles (all two of them, if you ignore how one gets repeated a half dozen times) feeling rather like fighting a Big Daddy in Bioshock once you realize you can just keep respawning at the vita chamber. Similarly, sometimes the optimal solution to a puzzle is to just sacrifice a character. It's bizarre and unsatisfying design all around.

Someone really needs to headhunt the entire art team and get them working on something worthy of their talents.

Atruvius

Bought this yesterday evening and completed two levels. I played the original Trine yesterday too and Trine 2's movement and jumping physics are much better and snappier. Characters always jump where I want them to. Trine 2 looks a tad blurrier than then the original but the more colourful graphics and better lighting more than make up for it.

I didn't like the combat in the original, it had way too many enemies so it was nice to see that easy difficulty level just cuts back on the enemies and no trophies/achievements are linked to the difficulty.

Also, backrounds look f'n amazing! I think Frozenbyte should do a more freeroaming RPG set in the Trine universe, the art looks so good.

Just bought Trine 2 yesterday. Still have to finish the first one. I am almost done with Chapter 12, but so far I actually quite enjoy it. Just how much better is Trine 2 in comparison with the first?

Just bought Trine 2 yesterday. Still have to finish the first one. I am almost done with Chapter 12, but so far I actually quite enjoy it. Just how much better is Trine 2 in comparison with the first?

Everything is better. It's more fun, more inventive, more beautiful.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Bought the game yesterday during steam sale and I'm having a blast, the game is AMAZING. And the co-op is awesome, not only can you use multiple keyboards and mice but also controllers AND individually assign each to all three players!! Prime and possibly only example of local/same computer co-op done right! Take note PC developers!

Medalion

Banned
I didn't feel like making a new thread for the Wii-U version

Anybody else here on GAF have Trine 2 for Wii-U? Anyone wanna co-op play online?

Add me plz

NNID: Medalion

Mistle

So is that game a case of Muranasa: Demon Blade for Wii? Stunning art but lacklustre gameplay? Because I really wanna see this game on my HD TV but I'm worried it'll just bore me gameplay wise.

Also I heard the Wii U version has washed out/over-bright colours compared to other versions..

Also I heard the Wii U version has washed out/over-bright colours compared to other versions..

It looks incredible. Using the touchscreen for levitating objects around as the wizard, directing your shield, firing arrows or throwing the hammer - feels awesome. Shed the doubts - it's worth every penny, it's amazing.

So is that game a case of Muranasa: Demon Blade for Wii? Stunning art but lacklustre gameplay? Because I really wanna see this game on my HD TV but I'm worried it'll just bore me gameplay wise.

That scared me for a moment. I was pretty hyped for Muramasa a few years ago due to my love of side scrollers but managed to hold back. I eventually bought it for a less than twelve bucks and yesterday got a chance to pop it in. Boresville. Unless it gets more intricate in level design the game strikes me as a side scrolling equivalent to the generic WWII shooter -- super linear, little attention paid to environment, doesn't change much as you progress save for story elements.

So Trine 2 was 99% done downloading to my Wii U when I read your post, and I was like "uh oh!". Then I realized that you're asking a question, not saying this as a fact!

I'll be trying it out a little bit before bed. If I don't get to sleep before it's time to go to work, I'll know that the game is indeed better than Demon Blade. ;)

Sorry for the re-bump, but I'm stuck and confused:

I beat the main game, but there are seven chapters (14 through 20) which are locked. I'm replaying the whole thing in Difficult mode while trying to find all the chests. Will any of this (if so, which? if not, what?) allow me to progress?

Also this game is amazing.

mileS

Why is the frame rate locked at 50? Even if I change the frame rate limit thing in video options, its locked at 50. I also tried turning off vsync. forcing it with D3Doverrider.

The first Trine was also the same except the D3D fixed it. No idea why I can't change this and google search didn't help me at all. If anyone knows please fill me in.

I have a question: Is Trine 2 accessible to casual/noobie gamers?

Girlfriend and I wanted to try it out, but outside of Wii Sports and selection Nintendo Land games, video games are very challenging for her.

pje122

I have a question: Is Trine 2 accessible to casual/noobie gamers?

Girlfriend and I wanted to try it out, but outside of Wii Sports and selection Nintendo Land games, video games are very challenging for her.

I'm about halfway through it right now... it's not too hard. If you come to a puzzle where you're stuck make sure you know how many pieces you have to work with. If you understand the mechanics properly you shouldn't have trouble.

GRW810

This game is absolutely fantastic. It looks absolutely beautiful, some great level design and I love the fantasy world. I think some of the puzzles could be more intricate and the trio of characters could be put to use better but having just completed the core game, it's been a fun experience. Gone straight into the Goblin expansion levels, which in my opinion look even better.

Only just realised that as the Wizard, if you draw and stack two objects, you can stand on the top one and lift the bottom one. Instant access to pretty much any high and hard to reach vial. Wish I'd realised this sooner rather than spending an hour trying to build some delicate structure to climb and jump from.

Also worked out that you can reset individual upgrades, so all this time I could have just kept temporarily giving the Wizard the maximum four summoned objects, then reapplied the XP to other areas.

Feel a bit stupid, but it will make playing through the game a second time a lot more fun. Lots of paintings and vials to gather.

EDIT: Do I need a peripheral for voice chat or is it done through the GamePad? Haven't played online with anyone yet.

I heard this has a temporary price cut to $9.99 on the Eshop through April 30th, in the U.S. at least. Don't have a Wii U to check it myself, but thought some people might be interested in this that have been holding out.

CaVaYeRo

Thought it wasn't thread-worthy, but mods please split if you think so.

Frozenbyte's working on a new IP, big project, before Trine 3 (around the 5:00 mark).

"[before Trine 3] we have a new IP, the majority of the team is working on something pretty big (...) some multiplayer, co-op, some physics and then beautiful graphics, but very, very different from Trine".

So it's kind of Frozenbyte/Trine style, but different gameplay mechanics, I guess. Eager to see their talent used in a different way ^^

Wow, Trine 2 is amazing in 3D!
Gonna play it in 3D the whole way.

I wish Fez didn't lock their 3D in such a retarded way. I wanna see how that looks like too.

I think this game is broken. I've tried playing online and found myself controlling two characters at the same time. Sometimes I couldn't even switch characters and or even move (which kind of sucks when you're dead because you can't even resurrect).

thenexus6

I think this game is broken. I've tried playing online and found myself controlling two characters at the same time. Sometimes I couldn't even switch characters and or even move (which kind of sucks when you're dead because you can't even resurrect).

Yeah this was really starting to piss me off. I am loving this game played for hours yesterday then this character changing and glitching stuff started happening. At one point I had three players with six characters on screen. It's so frustrating and once it happens (which is 99% certain) thats it - going back to checkpoint, all dying doesn't fix it.

Especially annoying when people want to change characters or people have no idea what they're doing so you need to control that certain character yourself to get past the puzzle.

I also had many times where I couldn't even play I was just stuck like you watching the other players because the character switching got all screwed up. I hope they fix it soon because this is really good fun online.

I've got into this recently and although I'm not particularly enamoured with it I'm going to try and see it through to the end. The visuals are beautiful, I love the variety of levels (forests, swamps, castles etc) and I like the three-character dynamic and storytelling. However, I fucking hate the environmental puzzles. The physics are far too flaky and unreliable and doing shit like balancing a box on a jet of fire or climbing up a tower of boxes is tedious and frustrating. Honestly, I'm about seven levels in but the horrible puzzles are close to putting me off altogether.

Gonna try to see it through to the end though. Some of the DLC stuff from the trailers looks really impressive.

I've finished now. Hated the final boss. Honestly, it's such a weird game as I really like the core gameplay and the three character dynamic, but I hated so much of the level design. I really loved the first game, but here there were far too many environmental 'puzzles' where you have to weigh something down to make a bridge swing up, and it's shitty the first time let alone the tenth. Normally I'd just make a stack of cubes and struggle up when the awful jumping physics decided to behave. It's just such an inconsistent game, and I wanted so much to like it.

Don't think I'll bother with the DLC. I wanted to complete it as much as possible, but I'm fed up with it now and just want to move on.

Top Bottom