• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trine 2 |OT| - The Wizard, Knight, and Rogue Adventure Once More

Don't know if I'm interested in it(I think I've played enough a 2d puzzle platformers for a lifetime), but in a world with 20 dozen beautiful 2d scrollers, some of those screenshots are truly stunning.

That said, I think the industry is going to 'get over' bloom and HDR in the next few years, either by making it more subtle or replacing it with a better post-processing effect, and it will be a kind of embarrassing artifact of games from this gen. Really distracting in some of these shots.

The_Monk

Have the first one on PC might grab this one on the PSN as soon as arrives to the Eu Store. Unless I get a good deal on PC.

TDLink

I haven't started the game yet because I am having issues just on the menu. Here is my problem...I load it up and can move around and shoot my grapple and arrows and jump all no problem, just perfect like I played Trine 1. I load into the menus and I can navigate them as well no problem, but if I dick around in the menus for like 2 minutes everything suddenly starts to lag hard. Both hovering over menu options as well as going back and trying to control my character. The frame rate is just...pretty dead and everything is moving super slow. I exited the game and loaded it again and replicated the problem in the same exact way. Anyone know why this could be happening and how to fix it?

EDIT: Have tried all different graphical settings too now and still having problems. So far it seems like graphics on Very High (I have no idea why) and running in windowed mode delays the frame drop the most but it still ends up happening. I notice in the task manager that it is called "Trine2_32bit.exe", but I am running on a Windows 7 64 bit system. Could that be the issue?

Jubbly

I notice in the task manager that it is called "Trine2_32bit.exe", but I am running on a Windows 7 64 bit system. Could that be the issue?

Devs said on their forums that the 64-bit .exe never worked properly so it probably won't be released.

Labadal

I haven't started the game yet because I am having issues just on the menu. Here is my problem...I load it up and can move around and shoot my grapple and arrows and jump all no problem, just perfect like I played Trine 1. I load into the menus and I can navigate them as well no problem, but if I dick around in the menus for like 2 minutes everything suddenly starts to lag hard. Both hovering over menu options as well as going back and trying to control my character. The frame rate is just...pretty dead and everything is moving super slow. I exited the game and loaded it again and replicated the problem in the same exact way. Anyone know why this could be happening and how to fix it?

EDIT: Have tried all different graphical settings too now and still having problems. So far it seems like graphics on Very High (I have no idea why) and running in windowed mode delays the frame drop the most but it still ends up happening. I notice in the task manager that it is called "Trine2_32bit.exe", but I am running on a Windows 7 64 bit system. Could that be the issue?

I am also running the game on Windows 7 64 bit with maximum settings. Game runs silky smooth.

-SD-

Banned
cooljeanius said:
OK, so regardless of graphics, what do people think of the gameplay so far?
Puzzles are mostly cheap and silly. Fighting is hack 'n slash. It sucks that it's difficult for this game to be challenging.

Nevertheless, I'm enjoying the vistas and the jumping and am always eager to see what comes next.

Firebrand said:
So, hmm... only the host gets to pick upgrades? That kinds sucks.
You can upgrade any of the 3 characters.

Mrbob

Finished the game tonight, strictly single player. Took about 10 hours according to Steam and loved every minute of it. The art in this game truly is out of this world. It is Blizzard level quality. Maybe even better since it is rendered in higher resolution. Game looks like a high quality interactive painting with fantastic lighting. Some of the musical tracks with vocals are amazing too. But the best part are the puzzles. They feel a lot more fleshed out than the original game, with the ability to attack them multiple ways. Some were really challenging but I never felt frustrated to the point of giving up. Frozenbyte has some talented people working for their company. Great game.

Love the chievos as well. Taking a page out of Crackdown and making them stunt based versus objective based. Going to try for them all! Next up will be multi player!

Jubbly

Trine 2 stole all the colour from this year's resoundingly dull-looking games:

trine2_32bit2011-12-03djsa.png

XOMTOR

Anyone using Nvidia Inspector and the latest Nvidia update care to post the SLI profile bits for this game? I'm using an older driver (pre-256.xx era) that works perfect with all my games so don't want to update the whole driver just to get an SLI flag. Thanks.

Zomba13

http://www.abload.de/img/trine2_32bit2011-12-03djsa.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

I think it took the colour from most games this gen. It explains why so many games now are full of brown/grey.

Salz01

Finished the game tonight, strictly single player. Took about 10 hours according to Steam and loved every minute of it. The art in this game truly is out of this world. It is Blizzard level quality. Maybe even better since it is rendered in higher resolution. Game looks like a high quality interactive painting with fantastic lighting. Some of the musical tracks with vocals are amazing too. But the best part are the puzzles. They feel a lot more fleshed out than the original game, with the ability to attack them multiple ways. Some were really challenging but I never felt frustrated to the point of giving up. Frozenbyte has some talented people working for their company. Great game.

Love the chievos as well. Taking a page out of Crackdown and making them stunt based versus objective based. Going to try for them all! Next up will be multi player!

How's the story? Do you need to have played the first one, or is it pretty much a stand alone 'quest'

batbeg

Me: "ugh you gotta be kidding me, he puts artworks instead of actual in-game screens?" smh
*clicks on images*
Me: HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!!!
This game looks unreal.

I just did this exact same thing.

I enjoyed the demo of the first on PSN but never bought it, this one I intend to fucking get.\

Edit: HOLY FUCK THERE'S LOCAL CO-OP I NEED THIS GAME

Nert

Trine 2 is gorgeous, but this has actually been a great year for color in general. Bastion, Child of Eden, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, and Rayman Origins are all incredibly colorful as well. Even Bulletstorm, a "dudebro" game, is notably not drab/brown.

Mrbob

How's the story? Do you need to have played the first one, or is it pretty much a stand alone 'quest'

As noted above, the story is stand alone. Another adventure with these group of characters. Unless you want to play the first one for continuity, I'd recommend starting with Trine 2. It is the better designed game, and playing the first one isn't required. It is also less frustrating than part one. I need to go back and double check the first game, but check points seem better positioned in Trine 2 as well. This helps alleviate any frustration of losing a character. Run back to the check point quickly and you are good to go again!

Story is alright, but it really is the weakest aspect of the game. Some of the commenting between characters is funny, but the overall story is pretty forgettable. Don't take this as a huge negative though, as the story is functional to the progress in the game. The real star are the puzzles and navigating through each area, including high reaching hidden areas that are tough to get too. You have to be inventive to reach some hidden areas.

I am absolutely loving this game on pc. Once I finish ill get into coop. I don't remember the first game having so many puzzle-type platform elements but I didn't play the game to completion. I will go back and play it now though. I love the environments and art style in the new game. I think maybe one thing I would change is the music. The score doesn't fit for me with what I am seeing in the environments...

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I just did this exact same thing.

I enjoyed the demo of the first on PSN but never bought it, this one I intend to fucking get.\

Edit: HOLY FUCK THERE'S LOCAL CO-OP I NEED THIS GAME

There was local co-op for the last game. Why wouldn't there be for this one?

-SD-

Banned
O_O at the later levels.

Haven't been this impressed by graphics since Crysis. This game is artistically and technically a masterpiece, especially in the later levels.

Can't wait to see what Frozenbyte can do with DirectX 11.

Puzzles are mostly cheap and silly. Fighting is hack 'n slash. It sucks that it's difficult for this game to be challenging.

Nevertheless, I'm enjoying the vistas and the jumping and am always eager to see what comes next.
So seems nothing much has changed then.

PC version is jaw dropping with max settings. Easily one of the best looking games available. I loved Trine and this sequel manages to be even better then the first one. I am glad I got this game, the ganeplay is great and it is visually stunning!

-SD-

Banned

So seems nothing much has changed then.
Pretty much so... but Trine 2 is definitely worth buying and playing through at least twice.

soldat7

Hoping to buy this on PSN, but I think I'll hold off for a few days for the inevitable compares with the Xbox version. Can't wait.

Silex

I finally noticed that the game has a demo on steam...
Holy shit. That was... Amazing. I find it hard to believe that the game keep's up with such awesome art throughout the whole game (does it?).
I'm stunned by this... Hopefully I'll have some spare cash to buy it after the xmas sales.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
played through the trial, will buy. pretty game, interesting gameplay - though it takes some getting used to

Labadal

I finally noticed that the game has a demo on steam...
Holy shit. That was... Amazing. I find it hard to believe that the game keep's up with such awesome art throughout the whole game (does it?).
I'm stunned by this... Hopefully I'll have some spare cash to buy it after the xmas sales.

Art is great in every level.

Top Bottom