• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Truck plows into market in Berlin killing 12, injuring 48. Suspect shot dead in Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathian

Banned
Passenger was the one who drive there is what that translation suggests? Think it's quite clear what's happened.

This attempt to attack a Polish trucking company is covering something up when they clearly have no idea what happened (and no reason they would have been able to find out) is quite pathetic. I understand people are being devil's advocate but there's also ignoring clearly laid out facts in favour of your own narrative and declaring all news as false even when it's from more official sources.

Yoda

trying to jump to an overall conclusion without any real confirmation isn't much better. There's no need to claim anything just for the sake of beeing first.

It's not about for the sake of being first, but as news stories develop there is no reason to act as if we know nothing at all. We have a decent amount of information to conclude the truck driver sought to intentionally kill as many people w/the truck as he could.

Violet_0

Banned
According to the original polish truck drivers wife she hasn't heard from her husband since 4pm, so that would support the "original driver killed first and truck hijacked" theory, but it's all just speculation at the moment. Still, must be horrifying moments for that woman.

I have a truck driver in my family. They track them via GPS at all times. If the truck was going off-route, the company should have known and tried to contact the driver

Fritz

Passenger was the one who drive there is what that translation suggests? Think it's quite clear what's happened.

This attempt to attack a Polish trucking company is covering something up when they clearly have no idea what happened (and no reason they would have been able to find out) is quite pathetic. I understand people are being devil's advocate but there's also ignoring clearly laid out facts in favour of your own narrative and declaring all news as false even when it's from more official sources.

From the original German phraisng it gets clear that by passenger they mean the person was not the driver

So if you were there today, you could be dead or seriously injured.

But I am not and there are people that are

Tugatrix

It's not about for the sake of being first, but as news stories develop there is no reason to act as if we know nothing at all. We have a decent amount of information to conclude the truck driver sought to intentionally kill as many people w/the truck as he could.

what decent amount of information?

hEist

no, there is no information so far, if the passenger, who was found dead in the truck, is the "cousin".

Just reading the last page of this thread, we can see how misinformation, speculation, and guesswork flies rampant immediately after a terrorist attack or major accident. Everyone on here needs to take a deep breath and just sit tight. We'll know more, and more accurately, soon.

Reckheim

Would would a terrorist drive around with a body next to him? Kinda weird no?

What does he care? Why bother throwing the body out (taking the chance of being seen) if you're going to be dying or running away from the scene.

Regardless, at this point we're both throwing around assumptions. Lets wait till we know more.

Gin-Shiio

German here. I'll take my usual approach and only start soaking in details about this tomorrow or the day after. Too much false information making its rounds right now as usual after such an event.

GlamFM

Banned
What does he care? Why bother throwing the body out (taking the chance of being seen) if you're going to be dying or running away from the scene.

Regardless, at this point we're both throwing around assumptions. Lets wait till we know more.

Just saying that you are implying that someone shoots the driver (POSSIBLY OUTSIDE THE TRUCK) puts him in the passenger seat, puts his seatbelt on and goes for a drive in Berlin.

That´s too Hollywood for me.

KDR_11k

They say they caught the alleged driver at the Siegessäule, that's quite a distance to run...

Just saying that you are implying that someone shoots the driver (POSSIBLY OUTSIDE THE TRUCK) puts him in the passenger seat, puts his seatbelt on and goes for a drive in Berlin.

One quote on Tagesschau makes it sound like there were two staffers in that truck.

It's also not clear where the body was in the cab. I don't expect this to be a Weekend at Bernie's situation, with the body sat in the passenger seat. The body could have just been dumped in the back of the cab to hide it and not alert authorities... If this was an attack. We'll know soon enough.

Mark L

German here. I'll take my usual approach and only start soaking in details about this tomorrow or the day after. Too much false information making its rounds right now as usual after such an event.

Who are you gonna trust, respectable journalists using their knowledge and experience to filter a rapidly evolving situation, or 20-something year old gaffers using crude deduction to make inferences based off of Russia Today's twitter feed? I think the answer is clear.

GlamFM

Banned
It's also not clear where the body was in the cab. I don't expect this to be a Weekend at Bernie's situation, with the body sat in the passenger seat. The body could have just been dumped in the back of the cab to hide it and not alert authorities. If this was an attack. We'll know soon enough.

How would authorities know he was the passenger if he was not sitting in the passenger seat?

Tugatrix

a Weekend at Bernie's too much, on that I agree. No hijacker would risk riding around with a dead bleeding corpse

Paganmoon

Did the truck company owner mention if there were supposed to be two people in the truck or not? Can't seem to find any mention of it.

Buzzati

Banned
How would authorities know he was the passenger if he was not sitting in the passenger seat?

Because they knew he was not the driver. You think they think he was the passenger because they found him sitting pretty in the seat after a truck crashed through a market?

There surely is one day in history where nothing bad happened whatsoever. Nobody died, nobody got maimed or lost their dog. It was just the most pleasant day the universe had ever seen. :(

Like I said, he could have been in the back of the cab (you don't need to be sat in the front passenger seat to be classed as a passenger) and they could have already received the information of someone running from the scene.

GlamFM

Banned
Because they knew he was not the driver. You think they think he was the passenger because they found him sitting pretty in the seat after a truck crashed through a market?

Yes.

Like I said, he could have been in the back of the cab (you don't need to be sat in the front passenger seat to be classed as a passenger) and they could have already received the information of someone running from the scene.

"Beifahrer" is a pretty specific term.

Derwind

just in according to Finnish MTV3 news: 9 dead, over 50 injured. planned terror attack.

makes me fucking sick.

Did we get any new details that would confirm the planning of the attack? Social media posts from the perpetrator? Family &/or Friends coming forward?

Not trying to dispute your source, just so much speculation going on, this info might clear some things up.

GlamFM

Banned
He died from the crash while sitting in the seat? Are you daft?

Chill, and look at this picture:

1482176981247.jpg

Fliesen

Only confirmed information is this person "died in the crash"

"died on the spot" / "verstarb vor Ort" yeah.

So we can assume - while there is no confirmation (i'm only taking PolizeiBerlin as canon, everything else is just too much a game of telephone) that the passenger has not been shot by the police (they would have worded it differently, i guess)?

Can't watch TV reports right now, far too much

"well if we were to assume, and now we're speculating, THAT THE ISLAMIC STATE WOULD CLAIM TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ... just last week, chancelor Merkel as announced that they were making progress against ISLAMIC TERRORISM ... "

irresponsibly speculating and putting islamic terrorism into the heads of their audience before anything has been confirmed.

edit: btw - i don't wanna play detective myself, i just wanted to have clarification about what the official info on the passenger was, because there's no point to any kind of "terrorist shot driver, used his truck to commit rampage" shit, when it had been the police who had shot the 'passenger'.

Kagutaba

Smart, if you are European and your family and friends are safe then the best thing you can do right now might just be to go to bed. We will know more tomorrow.

Buzzati

Banned
And a lot of debris hit the truck on the passenger side.

Are you seeing what could have killed a seated passenger though?

Authorities could still note someone is a passenger in a vehicle if they died from this and wasn't sitting in the passenger seat with a seatbelt on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom