• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Truck plows into market in Berlin killing 12, injuring 48. Suspect shot dead in Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlamFM

Banned
Doesn't seem like an accident. CNN front page, "crash investigated as act of terror".

OJvA64U.jpg

Let´s stick to German news for this one.

Reckheim

It´s unlikely that a terrorist attack would have us swinging further to the left (SPD), and it´s even more unlikely that any party on the far right would have enough votes or find a partner for a coalition.

Merkel 2017 is happening.

I've heard this before. Even if she does win in 2017 the right-wing sentiment in Europe is getting stronger (all around the world actually). Exactly what ISIS wants.

I hope not but lets not act like this wont affect her if it turns to be islamic terrorism.

Dont worry, they are already positioning the CSU for that. CSU is going to spread so much bullshit within the next couple of months so that nothing will be left for AfD which doesn't get them in trouble because of demagoguery right away.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Doesn't seem like an accident. CNN front page, "crash investigated as act of terror".

CNN is the worst source of news. Lately it has become worse than British tabloids in this aspect. I wouldn't trust anything CNN says until it's confirmed by a decent news station/agency.

SilentRob

OJvA64U.jpg

Berlin's interior minister is on tv right now saying it's being investigates as "both an accident and an attack, because we don't know yet". The Berlin Police just tweeted they don't know if it was an attack. Don't share headlines without checking the source.

barybll

Banned
More fuel to the extreme right fire if the guy was muslim

Merkel was not exactly getting more popular in germany lately

GlamFM

Banned
I've heard this before. Even if she does win in 2017 the right-wing sentiment in Europe is getting stronger (all around the world actually). Exactly what ISIS wants.

Sure, AfD is a thing, but really, REALLY far from making a serious impact nation wide.

Merkel will win. Book it.

Only trust the Berlin source! Every other source is not reliable and the police needs to have the overhand when it comes to news spreading.

Derwind

Just watched a live Interview on polish TV with the owner of the truck. He said the truck driver is(was?) his cousin. Last time his company had contact with him was today noon, he was supposed to offload goods in somekind of factory in a industrial zone on the outskirts of Berlin but the workers there told him to wait till tomorrow. Last thing he told his people over the phone was something along the line of "I'm in germany yet in a strange place, no one here is german, I'm surrounded by muslims". Yeah, I know how this sounds, but that's what the guy said on national TV. They fear the body in the cabin might be the polish driver.
*edit*
Keep in mind this was not confirmed yet by the German authorities!

While the prospect of this might be supremely horrifying, I think I'll take your advice and wait for more official sources.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Translation: Ariel Żurawski, owner of the transportation company to whom the truck belongs, told TVN24 that he had last contact with the driver around noon. "According to me, they did something to the driver, hijacked the truck and they did what they did. This wasn't my driver. I vouch for him, he was my cousin" - he added. Original text: "Ariel Żurawski, właściciel firmy, do której należała ciężarówka, powiedział w TVN24, że ostatni raz kontaktował się z kierowcą około południa. - Mój scenariusz jest taki, że kierowcy coś zrobili, porwali samochód i zrobili co zrobili. To nie był mój kierowca. Ręczę za niego, to był mój kuzyn - dodał." Source: http://wiadomosci.onet.pl/tylko-w-onecie/ciezarowka-wjechala-w-tlum-w-berlinie-sa-zabici-i-ranni-relacja/8bqhv99

Wow. Polish trucking company had their truck hijacked, if this pans out.

WorldStar

Banned
It's a shame people just jump to conclusions and say it's a terrorist attack.

You guys that are jumping to conclusions aren't helping, you're promoting fear and lies..

R.I.P. to all those that lost their lives from this, and my prayers go out for a speedy recovery to those injured :(

You're jumping to conclusions by assuming it's not a terrorist attack

At least the people assuming it's a terrorist attack are more likely than not correct

Edit: yeah, looks like truck was hijacked...shocking...

Glix

I'm sorry but it has become insufferable following live events in GAF. Every other post is someone saying "Don't jump into conclusions" "You can't say that" "let's wait for all the info"

As right as those sentiments may be, having everyone repeating the same post has become worse than drive by posts looking to trigger someone. Even worse when those posts are directed at people only saying their honest reactions.

I find posts like this insufferable.

Hope it's an accident and that not too many people are hurt.

I've been to that market a few years ago. It was a lovely place. That area should be known for the bombed out church and memorial cross made of nails from the ruins of the bombed cathedral in Coventry (UK). It's a monument to peace and building friendship between former enemies. It shouldn't become known as a site of terrorism and hatred.

ekim

Sure, AfD is a thing, but really, REALLY far from making a serious impact nation wide.

Merkel will win. Book it.

Unless something goes terribly wrong, you are correct. AfD is mostly strong in eastern Germany and even there people are already weary of them. I just hope the Linke will be a strong opposition again.

GlamFM

Banned
Just watched a live Interview on polish TV with the owner of the truck. He said the truck driver is(was?) his cousin. Last time his company had contact with him was today noon, he was supposed to offload goods in somekind of factory in a industrial zone on the outskirts of Berlin but the workers there told him to wait till tomorrow. Last thing he told his people over the phone was something along the line of "I'm in germany yet in a strange place, no one here is german, I'm surrounded by muslims". Yeah, I know how this sounds, but that's what the guy said on national TV. They fear the body in the cabin might be the polish driver.
*edit*

OK, here comes my theory.

This is a guy trying to cover up for his cousin who just killed 9 people in a drunken accident in Berlin.

tinfoilhat.gif

NsirhC

You're jumping to conclusions by assuming it's not a terrorist attack

At least the people assuming it's a terrorist attack are more likely than not correct

To be completely honest, I'm assuming it could be anything, but the jumping to conclude it's terrorism only spreads fear and misinformation. Once the police confirm it to be one thing or another, imo that's when it should be open to discuss the greater implications that this event has.

KDR_11k

Unlikely to involve slippery roads, the weather around Berlin is at 0°C and inside the city likely higher.

More fuel to the extreme right fire if the guy was muslim

Merkel was not exactly getting more popular in germany lately

Her popularity was slowly going up lately.

Our Polish TV just told that the car had polish plate numbers and in the car they found body. So the attacker probably killed driver first and hijacked a car.

WorldStar

Banned
To be completely honest, I'm assuming it could be anything, but the jumping to conclude it's terrorism only spreads fear and misinformation. Once the police confirm it to be one thing or another, imo that's when it should be open to discuss the greater implications that these attacks have.

This was a terrorist attack.

Read the facts as they're unfolding.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
To be completely honest, I'm assuming it could be anything, but the jumping to conclude it's terrorism only spreads fear and misinformation. Once the police confirm it to be one thing or another, imo that's when it should be open to discuss the greater implications that this event has.

This was terror done by pieces of shit, period. That's not jumping to conclusions.

German politician Bosbach (interior affairs expert) said there are no braking marks at the scene, just now live on TV. So this was done on purpose.

Yoda

Read the facts as they're unfolding.

I agree with the sentiment that we shouldn't jump to conclusions about the identity of the attacker and/or ideological motivations, but claiming this wasn't intentional is really absurd.

NsirhC

Can you please link the source you are referencing for this?

I can't seem to find it

I agree with the sentiment that we shouldn't jump to conclusions about the identity of the attacker and/or ideological motivations, but claiming this wasn't intentional is really absurd.

With the news that the truck did not brake at all, that is highly likely, and I would not disagree with that idea that it was premeditated.

German politician Bosbach (interior affairs expert) said there are no braking marks at the scene, just now live on TV. So this was done on purpose.

I think it was an attack myself, but that still doesn't rule out an accident. Sleeping people for instance don't tend to press the brakes.

GlamFM

Banned
Died from what tho? how would they know he wasnt dead before hand? Lets wait for the autopsy.

There isn't enough info out there to come to any sort of conclusion yet.

Look at the pic in the OP, guess he was killed by a Christmas tree.

*edit*

Surrounded by muslims huh

EloKa

trying to jump to an overall conclusion without any real confirmation isn't much better. There's no need to claim anything just for the sake of beeing first.

Dalibor68

Banned
According to the original polish truck drivers wife she hasn't heard from her husband since 4pm, so that would support the "original driver killed first and truck hijacked" theory, but it's all just speculation at the moment. Still, must be horrifying moments for that woman.

KDR_11k

ekim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom