• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Truck plows into market in Berlin killing 12, injuring 48. Suspect shot dead in Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody I know has been harmed but that would have been very unlikely.

One of my best buddys was right there on the spot a few days ago, though. Strange.

It's so embarrassing to see people who dwell on the internet for 18 hours a day become armchair detectives when events like this happen.

Dalibor68

Banned
IF this was a terror attack then wouldn't this seem like a short-term/spontaneous action? Unless they/he/she observed and planned where that truck would stop when exactly etc

Did we get any new details that would confirm the planning of the attack? Social media posts from the perpetrator? Family &/or Friends coming forward?

Not trying to dispute your source, just so much speculation going on, this info might clear some things up.

it was right at the end of the news broadcast, they didnt have anything else at the moment. they dont report bullshit afaik so i didnt hesitate to post.

i THINK they said the info came from German authorities.

Xater

2 of my 3 friends in Berlin so far marked themselves as safe on Facebook. I don't expect the last one to be hurt, but it's still weird.

The conclusion jumping in here is stupid. Let the police do their work. We will probably already know more tommorrw.

Knurek

he's actually from Poland and working for a Polish company, driving all over Europe. His boss calls him whenever he takes a different route

Oh, I'm not saying delivery firms using GPS tracking don't exist.
It's just that most Polish ones do not use that - every time shipment to my company is late, our purchasing has to call the delivery firm, and they then have to call the driver to check where he is ATM - something I assume would not be necessary with GPS tracking.

It's so embarrassing to see people who dwell on the internet for 18 hours a day become armchair detectives when events like this happen.

Don't forgot designers/marketers/artists etc. etc.

I wish people could just have some patience before spreading fear and misinformation.

Wow. Polish trucking company had their truck hijacked, if this pans out.
In breaking events, even directly involved people have limited sources of information.

While he is the owner of the transportation company, Ariel Żurawski only really knows a few things firsthand: that the truck involved is theirs, that his cousin was supposed to be driving, and that he hasn't heard from his cousin since shortly before the incident. A wide variety of scenarios fit those facts.

Audioboxer

IF this was a terror attack then wouldn't this seem like a short-term/spontaneous action? Unless they/he/she observed and planned where that truck would stop when exactly etc

Acts of terrorism organised by individuals or small groups can be very amateurish. This is why lone wolf terrorism can be very hard to predict/stop. When there is cells or group chatter that is when things can be intercepted. Or if people are on watch lists.

If it's individuals or a few who have been radicalized whilst being born in/living within a country there's not always a paper trail to follow them on. Germany is also the country that has potentially let in the largest amount of refugees presumably without vetting the majority of them, or not doing so properly. So even in situations where there could be a paper trail or suspects to follow, they might not have been receiving the surveillance or rejection from attempting to enter the country they otherwise should have if borders weren't so carelessly "open".

Either way, this is speculation on causes of terrorism in a situation where it isn't confirmed to be such a cause yet.

edit: Just realized I slightly mis-read your post. Either way my points stand about why it wouldn't be easy to track someone who in their own time just scopes out where trucks stop and jacks one. Lone wolf attackers like this most likely keep to themselves before whenever they wish to attack and act out an atrocity.

Boke1879

Yea if what the Truck owner says is true, then the Truck was making a stop right?

Durden77

I swear I think there are parts of GAF that almost want terror attacks to happen just to give them something to talk about that day.

Sorry if that's a horrible thing to say. RIP to everyone gone, and I hope whatever happened here gets resolved. It's a terrible situation regardless.

If it was an accident it's really irritating that it had to happen at one of the most crowded places in the festive season. What a bad case of cruel fate this would be.

vsMIC

If it was an accident it's really irritating that it had to happen at one of the most crowded places in the festive season. A bad case of cruel fate this would be.

not saying it can not happen, but some sort of attack or deliberate action (amok) seems so much more probable than a tragic accident in this case...

we will see tomorrow.

If it was an accident it's really irritating that it had to happen at one of the most crowded places in the festive season. What a bad case of cruel fate this would be.
There was an accident involving a lorry in the UK last year in a city centre. It is possible.

RIP to the victims, this is absolutely horrible.

Audioboxer

not saying it can not happen, but some sort of attack or deliberate action (amok) seems so much more probable than a tragic accident in this case...

we will see tomorrow.

Some speculation on a discussion forum is normal when something isn't clear yet, but it's shameful and unforgivable when news sites and/or journalists start running speculation as "news". It has to be made crystal clear when they are reporting unconfirmed tips/rumours or speculation, and it so often isn't. Leading to hysteria, confusion and unfair targeting. Really the majority of them should just stick to reporting 100% fact, but they are always "competing" with Twitter these days to get the clicks and scoop first... No matter the cost to incorrect reporting and journalistic standards/integrity.

There was an accident involving a lorry in the UK last year in a city centre. It is possible.

Yeah I posted it earlier, 22nd of December 2014 ~ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Glasgow_bin_lorry_crash

barit

Damn was on my way home from Alexanderplatz just 2h ago on my bike and some cops in civil crossed me with emergency lights on. Didn't thought anything about it but now I know where they went to. Strange feeling that my city is now on the sad lists of terror attacks. If an attack would happen then probably at Alex or Breitscheidplatz because they are the two biggest spots in East and West Berlin. Ugh

Cub3h

Banned

In a random part of a shopping street and a handful of innocent bystanders sadly died. This was the second (after Alexanderplatz would be my guess?) biggest Christmas market in Berlin.

I need to go yell at the person who told me that then.

No. You need to verify information given to you by other people instead of just stating it as fact.

I'm not saying you need to do this immediately for everything you hear. But if you are about to state as fact something that you heard from someone else instead of from a reliable source then you first need to check that it is true.

Not really - if attacker worked in one of logistic hubs or warehouse of company which sends transports all the time he would know that there are big cars around it very often.

And if he had connection to logistics operator in company it would be super easy to arrange for truck which waits the night close to company to wait for morning loading.

how does one knows that from a GPS? should I call it bullshit?
No. There are more sensors available to transportation companies than just bare bones GPS. Not sure if this particular company has some of those, but the capability they are claiming they have (the ability to determine that the truck has been turned off and on) does exist.

Tugatrix

How about shutting the fuck up if you have no clue? In modern trucks it's not only GPS. There are several sensors for tracking time, speed, breaks ect.

How about you show respect?

I have a clue, I know what a tachograph is and that one give you that kind of info, but they usually don't share that info via GPS.

M52B28

Banned
No. There are more sensors available to transportation companies than just bare bones GPS. Not sure if this particular company has some of those, but the capability they are claiming they have (the ability to determine that the truck has been turned off and on) does exist.
Some people have to be genuinely naive to think that this kind of technology does not exist. Considering the technology that we have within our cars, it should not be surprising that this exists.

Tugatrix

Some people have to be genuinely naive to think that this kind of technology does not exist. Considering the technology that we have within our cars, it should not be surprising that this exists.

I know the technology exist, it's just that is not the GPS that give that info, it's the tachograph. If a news can't even get the basics I start to question all the rest.

Polish? That's a strange one. How did they die? Maybe kidnapped or?

Until we get the driver this is going to be a weird one.

Hearts go out to everyone who has suffered here, I hope the driver is caught. Answers are needed.

I have a clue, I know what a tachograph is and that one give you that kind of info, but they usually don't share that info via GPS.
Let me introduce you to fleet management solutions that go far beyond a tachograph.

I know the technology exist, it's just that is not the GPS that give that info, it's the tachograph. If a news can't even get the basics I start to question all the rest.
It's not GPS that provides that info. Fleet management platforms take info from a variety of sensors (including GPS and, I imagine, tachograph) and relay it to a central data store that management can review. I'm not an expert, but I believe they typically use cell networks to transmit the data.

M52B28

Banned
They're probably speaking of it generic terms. It's not a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom