• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Truck plows into market in Berlin killing 12, injuring 48. Suspect shot dead in Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what they can do about this shit, with all the people they've already let in attacks like these aren't liable to end any time soon. Assimilation is going to be difficult with such a large inlfux of people in a short period of time and really won't bear fruit until the next generations grow up(and that's if everything goes perfect) in the mean time people are going to get more and more fed up.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Do they know or care what religion the people among the dead are? Maybe my previous was worded badly, but I do feel that part of the Trump statement is terrible as imo it plays as if Christians are the only targets.

Well there are plenty of non Christians that have been murdered by this terror group as well.

They don't know specifically, but make no mistake the reason they are attacking is based on their religion and what it tells them to do.

I really just hate how that's framed. Islam against Christian. Isis doesn't care what religion you are.
So when 25 were killed at El-Botroseya next to St Mark's Cathedral in Cairo last week, it wasn't about religion?

Please. It may not be about a single religion, but it's absolutely about religion.
lol, Christmas hasn't been "Christian" in decades (maybe forever).
Get out of your bubble.

mario_O

A lot of the people that came in 2015 were not syrians, for example in austria the biggest group was Afghans. Also a lot of Pakistani, Bangladeshi and North-african migrants.

But Pakistan is not at war, so I dont know why you would call them "refugees", they're inmigrants.

I can't believe i am saying this but maybe trump is who we need. Obama punted this for far too long and Merkel let a million people in without vetting them. Left wing governments have failed their citizens. Time to give the other guys a chance.

The left needs to be honest with citizens about immigration. You are saving millions of people, but you will get an uptick in terrorism, violent crimes, etc in the next 10-20 years as people from very different cultures enter Western societies. It may get even worse as second and third generation feel dispossessed and lost, but the benefits are saving innocent people, introducing new youth into the workforce, and more diversity in our society. Its your choice whether you think saving people is worth the small rise in risk.

Instead what we get is the left saying "hey, we can help immigrants and NOTHING WILL CHANGE, and anyone who says otherwise is racist!" Well, when attacks happen the right has an obvious answer: stop all immigration, shit isn't working. If the other side is always claiming that nothing can go wrong, then when reality disagrees hard with the message then people stop trusting your side completely.

electrotonus

Neo Member
Because they are two different churches with different teachings and different saints and different believes and ofc strictly seperated physical churches.
Still, they are all Christians. Plus, there are more Christians in Germany besides Catholics and Lutherans. Germany is still a majority Christian country, albeit Christian life in Germany is not very vibrant and church attendance rates are low, even on Christian holidays.

okay thats a good point. The atheist number includes official atheists and "i don't care" people
A lot of people, especially Lutherans, also officially leave the church in order to evade the church tax in Germany while still keeping some sort of Christian faith. Catholics are a bit more reserved about that kind of financial move because of the religious implications according to the official position of the Catholic Church.

When I heard about the attack, I was kind of shrugging it off as 'just another attack'. Shocking that those terrorist attacks now become part of everyday life.

The left needs to be honest with citizens about immigration. You are saving millions of people, but you will get an uptick in terrorism, violent crimes, etc in the next 10-20 years as people from very different cultures enter Western societies. It may get even worse as second and third generation feel dispossessed and lost, but the benefits are saving innocent people, introducing new youth into the workforce, and more diversity in our society. Its your choice whether you think saving people is worth the small rise in risk.

Instead what we get is the left saying "hey, we can help immigrants and NOTHING WILL CHANGE, and anyone who says otherwise is racist!" Well, when attacks happen the right has an obvious answer: stop all immigration, shit isn't working. If the other side is always claiming that nothing can go wrong, then when reality disagrees hard with the message then people stop trusting your side completely.

Good post.

Boke1879

So when 25 were killed at El-Botroseya next to St Mark's Cathedral in Cairo last week, it wasn't about religion?

Please. It may not be about a single religion, but it's absolutely about religion.

Get out of your bubble.

As I said my original post may have been worded badly, but I mean they don't care in the fact that there isn't a religion that's "off limits" to them if that makes sense.

I don't know what they can do about this shit, with all the people they've already let in attacks like these aren't liable to end any time soon. Assimilation is going to be difficult with such a large inlfux of people in a short period of time and really won't bear fruit until the next generations grow up(and that's if everything goes perfect) in the mean time people are going to get more and more fed up.

Being granted asylum doesn't give you the right to stay as long as you want. Technically the vast majority would have to return after the countries have been declared "safe" again.
Legally speaking it is just a temporary right to stay with the long term goal of returning/being deported if necessary.

EloKa

I mis-read his post slightly. I was thinking he was trying to say Germany is an Atheist/non-religious majority. This is rare, even in Europe. Most countries still tip towards a Christian/Catholic majority. When you add those two branches of Christianity together it makes it the majority in Germany, which is what I originally posted. As I said I think its predominantly the Scandinavian countries that have had the highest populations of non-believers for a while now.

I got my information from this rather large (unfortunately only german) newspaper:
http://www.zeit.de/2010/37/Atheismus-Empirie

Those numbers are from the taxes because you have to note your religion that you were basically born with. Estimations are that more than 50% believe "in nothing" or don't care about religion.

Basically I've tried to state that a possible attack was more likely directed at the western culture in general and not especially at christianity.

Pretty much. The main issue with this however is if people seeing this and think, fuck saving innocent people if some could be terrorists, youth unemployment is already too high, and who cares about diversity if it means making our lives worse... will the left accept that outcome?

At this point, I take the right-wing takeover of Europe as a forgone conclusion. I have given up on the European left. They should have addressed this years ago and now it is too late.

Dalibor68

Banned
But Pakistan is not at war, so I dont know why you would call them "refugees", they're inmigrants.
Technically there doesn't need to be war, it can also be threat of torture etc. But you're right and it's a valid question. There are many different interests at play and to some extent simply loss of control.

Pretty much. The main issue with this however is if people seeing this and think, fuck saving innocent people if some could be terrorists, youth unemployment is already too high, and who cares about diversity if it means making our lives worse... will the left accept that outcome?

At this point, I take the right-wing takeover of Europe as a forgone conclusion. I have given up on the European left. They should have addressed this years ago and now it is too late.
I think you are kinda using the word "diversity" as sort of a buzzword here. "Diversity" isn't always automatically a positive and something that people want. When people think of diversity they usually thing of rich/educated/vetted melting pots like Manhattan and not mass migration of primarily young males from this planets' poorest and most wartorn countries and to some extent in comparison to westerm views "outdated values" in regards to women for example.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
As I said my original post may have been worded badly, but I mean they don't care in the fact that there isn't a religion that's "off limits" to them if that makes sense.

The reason they are attacking is because normal culture goes against their religion. They absolutely care what religion you are... That is the basis of their attacks. Yes you're wording it wron, because your wrong period.

mario_O

This isn't true, at all. Nobody is saying there's zero risk. Of course there's risk -and that's what the police is here for. If there is one extreme here, is the far Right parties. Those are the ones saying ALL inmigrants are potential terrorist.

Audioboxer

I got my information from this rather large (unfortunately only german) newspaper:
http://www.zeit.de/2010/37/Atheismus-Empirie

Those numbers are from the taxes because you have to note your religion that you were basically born with. Estimations are that more than 50% believe "in nothing" or don't care about religion.

Basically I've tried to state that a possible attack was more likely directed at the western culture in general and not especially at christianity.

I agree with that, hence how out of Trump's statement I highlighted that as the silly part, albeit many Western countries are still majority Christian. These sorts of terrorist attacks are largely about Western culture in general, and as an offshoot of that our cultures being Islamic minorities and incredibly free and open around sex/nudity/skin, women, homosexuality and so on. Hence why freedom of religion is important if we value what we do in most Western societies. Freedom in general, as long as you don't harm others.

The Christian tweet thing is through American eyes though. In Britain, Germany and France and other northern European countries, most people are Christian on paper but don't see themselves as Christian to any degree.

TyrantII

They don't know specifically, but make no mistake the reason they are attacking is based on their religion and what it tells them to do.

Christianity tells us to stone women. Fuck, it ain't even that long ago the bloodletting was still going on in the UK.

Their religion doesn't tell them shit. Their leaders and their perverted interpretation do.

There's a big difference. It ain't semantics.

electrotonus

Neo Member

You also have to consider that the track record of previous Muslim immigration to Germany is terrible. Excluding Turkish and European Muslim immigration (e.g. from Bosnia or Albania), you can call it a gigantic failure. Unemployment rates as high as 98 percent which puts a strain on the welfare state, extremely high crime rates (e.g. a third of all North-African refugees in Germany are under investigation for crimes committed in the first six months of 2016 alone), no-go areas, closed societies, terror attacks.

To be honest, I don't think that anyone knows or has a clue how to integrate such a huge amount of people if it is even possible. There is not really a precedence for integrating millions of people in a couple of years that come from totally different cultures with different values. And if there's a possibility, I don't trust Merkel and her cabinet to be capable of pulling it off. Because they are basically doing nothing at all.

Kathian

Banned
For all his bad policies. Cameron's policy of taking refugees from UN run camps looks to have been the absolutely correct solution.

It prevents what clearly became a huge movement of people to Merkel's clear decision to open up borders. Causing a lot of space to go to non Syrians who the policy was intended to help.

It also allows proper security checks and fundamentally was targeting families. The UK could effectively cherry pick.

Now obviously this doesn't provide total protection but it at least provides a secure system that also by its very nature ensures you are an honest refugee.

Tyaren

They are still allowed to stay. There are by now hundreds of thousands of migrants who applied as refugees but are not eligible to refugee status and are tolerated to stay.
They often explain this with loopholes in German law that can be used to postpone deportation indefinitely. For example if someone destroys all of their personal information and the country that they are from can not be determined, some are ill or faint illness and can't be sent back and there are some countries who simply won't accept these migrants back. In many cases there is actually a deportation warrant issued but it will never be executed.

electrotonus

Neo Member
This isn't true, at all. Nobody is saying there's zero risk. Of course there's risk -and that's what the police is here for. If there is one extreme here, is the far Right parties. Those are the ones saying ALL inmigrants are potential terrorist.

I remember German politicians last year claiming that there would be no terrorists among the refugees because the refugees were the ones fleeing from the terrorists. There are extremists, ideologues and demagogues on both sides.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Christianity tells us to stone women. Fuck, it ain't even that long ago the bloodletting was still going on in the UK.

Their religion doesn't tell them shit. Their leaders and their perverted interpretation do.

There is a huge difference between Christian and Islamic doctrine. I recommend you not try and make this argument.

The reason they are attacking is because normal culture goes against their religion. They absolutely care what religion you are... That is the basis of their attacks. Yes you're wording it wron, because your wrong period.
Please tell me more what my religion is telling me.

Ac30

I can't believe i am saying this but maybe trump is who we need. Obama punted this for far too long and Merkel let a million people in without vetting them. Left wing governments have failed their citizens. Time to give the other guys a chance.

"Minder Marokkanen" 2017!

Please tell me you're kidding.

Audioboxer

?

All of the mainstream religious texts have horrendous passages and abuses and that is precisely where the root of all issues around religions come from. Hence why we had the crusades and masses of killings in the name of Christianity/Catholicism before our times. It's exactly why I said don't stick your head in the sand during the times you live in, as historians in a hundred years ain't going to make up our history. They'll factually tell it.

The issue is how texts get interpreted, into what can be left as just part of the times when the books were written, and what has to still be carried out today. Islam is a lot "stricter" around the Quran being the literal word of God than other mainstream holy books.

The mainstream political parties have been afraid to talk about the risks involved in the immigration practices over the past years. It has been downplayed again and again, instead of tackling the problem head on and doing something about the very valid concern the European citizens have about it.

TTOOLL

Another good post helping people get out of their rainbow world where everybody loves each other and are bff.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
You mean what their imam/peers/commander tells them to do.

The Qur'an is not a murder instruction book. It is a tool and how it's used or misused is more important than its nature.

2nd amendment fans have no issue calling out that guns are inert until assholes or idiots abuse them.

Car fans. Alcohol fans. Etc.

chadskin

Updated figures from the police:

@PolizeiBerlin_E:
Traurige Gewissheit, heute verloren am #Breitscheidplatz 12 Menschen ihr Leben, 48 liegen, zum Teil schwer verletzt, in Krankenhäusern.

12 killed, 48 injured.

Audioboxer

@PolizeiBerlin_E:
Traurige Gewissheit, heute verloren am #Breitscheidplatz 12 Menschen ihr Leben, 48 liegen, zum Teil schwer verletzt, in Krankenhäusern.

12 killed, 48 injured.

Damn :(

People must be battling with critical injuries and sadly losing. If anyone is in Germany and near by please check if blood donations are needed, and donate if you can.

@PolizeiBerlin_E:

12 killed, 48 injured.
Looks like few injured didn't make it. RIP.

Any update on whereabouts of attacker?

Audioboxer

According to the DPA news agency, police believe the lorry drove 50-80 metres (54-87 yards) through the market area during the incident, which occurred at 20:14 local time (19:14 GMT).

"The sequence of events points to either an accident or an attack," Mr Geisel said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38373867

BBC still not reporting it as an attack. 50~80m seems a fairly long distance to travel through people by accident :( Unless of course you lost control, but the guy clearly ran off and it wasn't like a heart attack or loss of consciousness.

Well, I guess I've seen it all on gaf now.

A Muslim (American I believe?) asking on gaf of trump is what we need, after everything he has said this year in relation to Muslims. Cmon dude.

Your statement is akin to standing on quicksand and saying maybe it won't give out under your weight. Trump has (successfully) won the Presidency of one of the strongest nations in the world by running on a platform significantly made up of unfounded fear and hatred of Muslims, thier skin colour, thier customs and thier way of life, no matter how peaceful they may be. Remember he is down for killing the families of suspected terrorists.

He fucking hates us, and even if it is all a show, his cabinet still fucking hates us. They don't care if you don't even practice islam or hate the thing, if you look brown thats all it takes for them to consider you less then them. Some of his biggest supporters were WHITE supremacists. The ones that would gladly kill or suppress those who are muslim and others who aren't white, irregardless of faith. Sorry, but unless you live in a blue state or a liberal city, American Muslims under trump are fucked, overtly or covertly.

Trump and those like him is NOT what we need. They are the anti thesis of what we need. What we need are strong borders with workable and easily tracable and trackable visa programs. What we need is massive investment in border security(not walls), border patrol and border personnel, boosts to assimilation programs, vetting programs, background checks and also keeping a damn eye on foreign males for maybe years on end when they enter the country. It also wouldn't hurt for western governments to start investing in Islamic schools of thought that don't adhere to reprehensible warped views of texts and doctrine and mesh well with western beliefs, in thier own countries.

What a sad event for Germany and it's citizens. My condolences to those affected and to the families who have lost loved ones.

Boke1879

Listen you can feel some type of way about it, but they aren't solely attacking Christians and that's the main point. They'll kill anyone that doesn't support or join their warped view.

I don't know if you're issue is with ISIS or Islam as a whole, but you have millions of Muslims that practice Islam that don't adhere to that viewpoint.

So no, I'm not wrong when I say they aren't solely attacking Christians. It isn't Islam vs Christianity, because that does a huge disservice to the non christian people these savages have murdered.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
You mean what their imam/peers/commander tells them to do.

The Qur'an is not a murder instruction book. It is a tool and how it's used or misused is more important than its nature.

2nd amendment fans have no issue calling out that guns are inert until assholes or idiots abuse them.

Car fans. Alcohol fans. Etc.

That is absolutely what I mean. Which is why I say they do care about your religion or lack there of, or how you live your life. There are certain groups they hate more than others as well.

Please tell me more what my religion is telling me.

The way their leaders have perverted it is what is driving them. They do this in the name of an interpretation of their religion. I'm not saying Islam in general. They're not just going around killing people for no reason in their minds.

That's my point.

Edit-
Listen you can feel some type of way about it, but they aren't solely attacking Christians and that's the main point. They'll kill anyone that doesn't support or join their warped view.

I don't know if you're issue is with ISIS or Islam as a whole, but you have millions of Muslims that practice Islam that don't adhere to that viewpoint.

So no, I'm not wrong when I say they aren't solely attacking Christians. It isn't Islam vs Christianity, because that does a huge disservice to the non christian people these savages have murdered.

And now you've co.pletely changed your argument which is that they don't care about your religion. I never once said they target Christians in particular. They target anybody who doesn't agree with their religion.

In fact you lumped typical muslims in with Isis when you said he'll they're targeting muslims. Yes they're targeting muslims, who are people that don't agree with their twisted viewpoint of the religion.

KRod-57

Banned
?

All of the mainstream religious texts have horrendous passages and abuses and that is precisely where the root of all issues around religions come from. Hence why we had the crusades and masses of killings in the name of Christianity/Catholicism before our times. It's exactly why I said don't stick your head in the sand during the times you live in, as historians in a hundred years ain't going to make up our history. They'll factually tell it.

The issue is how texts get interpreted, into what can be left as just part of the times when the books were written, and what has to still be carried out today. Islam is a lot "stricter" around the Quran being the literal word of God than other mainstream holy books.

The Crusades wasn't just a fight over whether Jesus was a prophet or a messiah, it was a conflict for land. Religion was a big part of it, but it wasn't a single driving force, there was a political climate that gave incentive for those wars. People typically don't just go around killing people because of their religious difference, there's always a political turmoil that creates these conflicts

In regards to terrorism, as recent as the 1990s, Britain had a higher rate of terrorist attacks than Syria, Iraq, Libya, or Yemen. So what changed? their religions didn't change, these regions are all following the same religion they were in the 1990s. What changed was the political climate, the Brits resolved their political turmoil through the Good Friday Agreement (while Syria, Iraq, Libya, and Yemen fell into a civil war state) Catholicism doesn't say to kill Protestants, and Protestantism doesn't say to kill Catholics, just like the Crusades, this was a conflict for land. The terrorist attacks committed by the IRA wasn't just religiously motivated, there was political turmoil that was the cause for the conflict

The same applies to modern day terrorism, it's not religion alone that is the cause for these attacks, it is political turmoil. Islamic terrorism was not such a common thing just 25 years ago, to cite the Quran as the cause for Islamic terrorism is an oversimplification of the issue.

Buzzati

Banned
Well, I guess I've seen it all on gaf now.

A Muslim (American I believe?) asking on gaf of trump is what we need, after everything he has said this year in relation to Muslims. Cmon dude.

Your statement is akin to standing on quicksand and saying maybe it won't give out under your weight. Trump has (successfully) won the Presidency of one of the strongest nations in the world by running on a platform significantly made up of unfounded fear and hatred of Muslims, thier skin colour, thier customs and thier way of life, no matter how peaceful they may be. Remember he is down for killing the families of suspected terrorists.

He fucking hates us, and even if it is all a show, his cabinet still fucking hates us. They don't care if you don't even practice islam or hate the thing, if you look brown thats all it takes for them to consider you less then them. Some of his biggest supporters were WHITE supremacists. The ones that would gladly kill or suppress those who are muslim and others who aren't white, irregardless of faith. Sorry, but unless you live in a blue state or a liberal city, American Muslims under trump are fucked, overtly or covertly.

Trump and those like him is NOT what we need. They are the anti thesis of what we need. What we need are strong borders with workable and easily tracable and trackable visa problems. What we need is massive investment in border security(not walls), border patrol and border personnel, boosts to assimilation programs, vetting programs, background checks and also keeping a damn eye on foreign males for maybe years on end when they enter the country. It also wouldn't hurt for western governments to start investing in Islamic schools of thought that don't adhere to reprehensible warped views of texts and doctrine and mesh well with western beliefs, in thier own countries.

What a sad event for Germany and it's citizens. My condolences to those affected and to the families who have lost loved ones.

What are Islamic schools of thought? You mean mosques? Do I have this right: You want the government to invest tax dollars in organizing positive doctrinal teachings in mosques?

bidguy

Banned
12 people died because of one piece of shit and his twisted views

im sorry but getting this many people in without vetting them was just insane

Out 1

@PolizeiBerlin_E:

12 killed, 48 injured.

Awful. :(

Berlin 💜💜💜

The way their leaders have perverted it is what is driving them. They do this in the name of an interpretation of their religion. I'm not saying Islam in general. They're not just going around killing people for no reason in their minds.
Okay, better than whatever drivel you posted before.

Liberty4all

Banned

Nobody will vote for that (the truth) certainly not the majority. NIMBY on a national scale.

Thus the "everything will be great" narrative.

You are saving millions of people, but you will get an uptick in terrorism, violent crimes, etc in the next 10-20 years as people from very different cultures enter Western societies. It may get even worse as second and third generation feel dispossessed and lost, but the benefits are saving innocent people, introducing new youth into the workforce, and more diversity in our society.

A government's duty is to protect is own citizens. An "uptick of terrorism and violent crimes" platform is one I'd vote against. That's IMHO of course but I would argue this is a frame of thought that many people believe.

I like Trumps "protected zones" idea in their own countries.

More diversity may or may not be seen as a benefit depending how nationalistic the country. Personally I like the American melting pot idea... If you come here you are American. I say that as a Canadian... My country subscribes to multiculturalism which I've benefited from directly (my wife is a Canadian Filipino whom I never would have met if not for our very open borders), and also been directly hurt by (hiring diversity quotas).

I like the US idea... Come here, bring your culture but you are American first and foremost and owe allegiance to America before any other country.

The guy who did it seems to come from afghanistan or pakistan and entered germany as an refugee in february. We will know more in about 12 hours. Then the police wanna give a press conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom