• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

Afrocious

Season 3 better take place in the hood with a predominantly black and latino cast.

That or elsewhere unrelated to country white folks (S1) or rich white folks (S2).

Wouldn't surprise me if they went with nice white folks and S3 took place in Canada.

Forgot how much I love Pajiba.

We’ve had the endlessly charming Duke and Duchess Seymon jess talkin’ babies, yo! Every week! Those scenes suck the life out of any room so effectively that they’re actually using them to perform abortions in undeveloped nations. True story. Why do you think they’re always talking about adoptions? It’s Nic Pizzolatto being so far ahead of us all it’s scary. He specifically wrote these scenes to challenge our very will to live.

I’m glad Frank waited like two months to tail Blake after he stopped trusting him and demoted him to pit boss. That makes sense. Ego-driven dudes like Blake always respond well to public demotion so he probably wasn’t up to anything in the last two months. OR HE WAS WORKING FOR OSIP. Makes no sense. It took you two months to look into that, Frank? Maybe the feeling on the back of your neck is stupidity. Khe Sanh, motherfucker! Don’t you remember how when you kneeled down on top of Santos Blake was there like INSTANTLY with pliers?

You barely had to even reach for them. Blake is tight. Blake is johnny on the spot.
You think Blake was just going to go from head pliers-hander back to pit boss? OH NO NO MOTHERFUCKER! Maybe you had too much E-cig, homie!

I was like “oh man” this feels like it’s taking itself too seriously, y’know? It’s like ‘how ‘bout a splash of color here and there!’ Just because the genre is dark doesn’t mean the cinematography has to be. Like why is the Vinci mayor’s office all acid-treated concrete? It feels kind of on the nose. If that guy has a Krusty the Clown office and isn’t hammered 24/7 now I’m like ‘this is interesting’ you know? Because I’m anticipating a huge part of this season is based around the premise that Chessani is the prime mover but he seems like a drunken half-idiot to me. You want him to be the head of the Gambino family but he feels like he’s the assistant pizza chef at Sal’s. I know a thing or two about Italian crime families and this dude wouldn’t even sniff underboss status anywhere, forget being the capo di tutti capi. So, there’s a disconnect somewhere, you know?

Season 3 better take place in the hood with a predominantly black and latino cast.

That or elsewhere unrelated to country white folks (S1) or rich white folks (S2).

Wouldn't surprise me if they went with nice white folks and S3 took place in Canada.

lololol

S2 was supposed to include Pizza's answer to "True Detective doesn't have any good female characters" criticism. You really want him to tackle minorities?

Squalor

Pizzolatto can't write white women or gay white guys.

What makes you think he could do anything good with racial minorities?

I wouldn't mind a hispanic and black detective combi. But they need to bring star power. And I don't know how many are gonna be jumping at the opportunity after a not as amazing s2. Wouldn't mind the Bunk and McNutty joining forces again though

Afrocious

shit, you two make a good point. i forgot the original ideas behind S2 and now you've reminded me.

damn. well i'm sure he can do well with canadians.

I wouldn't mind a hispanic and black detective combi. But they need to bring star power. And I don't know how many are gonna be jumping at the opportunity after a not as amazing s2. Wouldn't mind the Bunk and McNutty joining forces again though

The funny thing is that X-Files is tangentially connected to The Wire. That said, those two investigating cult-based crimes would be the best show HBO has ever produced IMO.

Squalor

I think there's someone who's pulling Chessani's strings.

He seems too out-of-it and unhappy and drunk to actually be the leader. He's probably depressed as fuck because he's under thumb.

Kinyou

is this really how this works? police killing private security guards just like that?
From what I understood was the whole thing not approved. Ani also seemed a bit shocked that she killed someone. It makes me wonder how they're going to sell the evidence to their boss.

I can see what he is trying to do by injecting some "old time" and/or overtly noirish dialogue into the mix...but it just doesn't work that well. It could be the delivery, but I think it's more that the season itself has so little going for it in terms of tone. Pizza probably wanted to build a rich, multi-faceted atmosphere, but the ONLY feeling I ever get is melancholy and occasional rage..

I think Colin nails it but it doesn't come across naturally at all for Vince.

Have to say despite all that I'm enjoying the show though. It's not top tier HBO by any means but it's not a trainwreck for me either.

Afrocious

Have to say despite all that I'm enjoying the show though. It's not top tier HBO by any means but it's not a trainwreck for me either.

Yeah, same for me. It's not a trainwreck. It would be one if the same characters from S1 were in this story with the same quality of writing tbqh.

Imm0rt4l

From what I understood was the whole thing not approved. Ani also seemed a bit shocked that she killed someone. It makes me wonder how they're going to sell the evidence to their boss.
It makes me wonder if someone will get to their boss. I mean you got higher ups in Vinci pd and gubernatorial prospects and who knows who else.

This shit's a losing battle.

Yeah, I really felt that during their showdown at the intro of ep 6. Vince just can't deliver any of that stylized, fatalist dialogue with the gravitas it needs, because his character just isn't believable in that capacity.

shit, you two make a good point. i forgot the original ideas behind S2 and now you've reminded me.

damn. well i'm sure he can do well with canadians.

The funny thing is that X-Files is tangentially connected to The Wire. That said, those two investigating cult-based crimes would be the best show HBO has ever produced IMO.

Also Law and Order:SVU

English is my second language and I was so confused at 'When you walk it's like erases clapping' line back few weeks ago. I struggled so hard to make sense of it, looked 'erasers' up in several dictionaries but still, nothing really fit. I'm far from perfect obviously, but it infuriates me when I have no idea what a given phrase means. At least I'm glad I wasn't the only one.

I THINK the meaning behind the erasers line is basically a fancy way of saying "You're a whore" erasers clapping together meaning...her (forgive me for being a little vile here) vagina is so stretched that it's audible.

Or it could mean the opposite, she might have been saying "you haven't had any action in so long that your vagina is like two dry dusty erasers clapping together"

ANYWAY, that was just my takeaway from it.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I THINK the meaning behind the erasers line is basically a fancy way of saying "You're a whore" erasers clapping together meaning...her (forgive me for being a little vile here) vagina is so stretched that it's audible.

Or it could mean the opposite, she might have been saying "you haven't had any action in so long that your vagina is like two dry dusty erasers clapping together"

ANYWAY, that was just my takeaway from it.

it's the second one.

Robot Pants

Holy shit.
IF there is a season 3 this would be the best thing they could do.

Salsa

I want someone outside the police force for season 3

gimme 'true detective' in a sense, but not literal, dunno. mix it up

Salsa

honestly I just really liked the idea of the show's seasons being super broad on what they cover and really individual from each other. People complain about Season 2 not being enough like Season 1 but I think it might be too much like it, at least in terms of setting / context

you can basically do whatever, at this point I dont think anyone would complain if the only thing connecting the different seasons was "crime and troubled broken characters" which is every tv show anyway

Squalor

honestly I just really liked the idea of the show's seasons being super broad on what they cover and really individual from each other. People complain about Season 2 not being enough like Season 1 but I think it might be too much like it, at least in terms of setting / context

you can basically do whatever
No one with a brain is complaining that it's not enough like the first season. People are complaining that the quality isn't like the first season.

Aside from that, it's too much like the first season. Let's solve the case. Let's have a time skip. Wait a second. Did we really solve the case? Let's go back in.

Boring the second time around especially since it was done so much worse.

And the settings are nothing alike. Louisiana was alive last season. It was a character in itself. Aside from Rust and Marty, the setting had more development than any of the other actual characters.

This season's setting is just a Los Angeles I've seen a million times over in any number of media. It's lurid, but bland and boring. It's nothing but helicopter shots of intersecting highways.

Fury451

Banned

The Wire though...

Salsa

No one with a brain is complaining that it's not enough like the first season. People are complaining that the quality isn't like the first season.

Aside from that, it's too much like the first season. Let's solve the case. Let's have a time skip. Wait a second. Did we really solve the case? Let's go back in.

Boring the second time around especially since it was done so much worse.

And the settings are nothing alike. Louisiana was alive last season. It was a character in itself. Aside from Rust and Marty, the setting had more development than any of the other actual characters.

This season's setting is just a Los Angeles I've seen a million times over in any number of media. It's lurid, but bland and boring. It's nothing but helicopter shots of intersecting highways.

I agree. Didnt say anything about people's brains :p

by setting I meant more of the situation, so context was more apt

Finalow

who the fuck is stan
dixon-thumb-550x279-132843.jpg

Finalow

I think arrow had better infiltration scenes. arrow.

people are complaining about this season not being as interesting as the first one, like not even close, and about the writing being abysmal. and they're right.
I don't really care about the setting as long as the show is good, I'll take whatever.

You folks don't understand how bad that ferret episode was in Twin Peaks.

A lot of Twin Peaks season 2 was bad but it started and ended well enough. Some of the season 2 stuff was still genuinely great TV but so far this season of True Detective is just about carried by some good acting.

Like do you genuinely expect the writers of this season to come up with something like Garland's vision speech?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjeCNnbVYAQ

Daffy Duck

Two episodes left, surely the next one is where is where it's all going to be spilled with the fallout for the leads/Frank in the last one?

Tuffty

I may be remembering this incorrectly but if anyone's played LA Noire
there was a case of corruption spread out across multiple cases which involved high public figures, the mayor, the chief of police etc in a bid to secure more money and get rich off something. You only cracked the case because you discovered film footage on this movie set which perfectly shows all of these people plotting and scheming together and seeing that really ruined a decent story because it took me out of it as I thought of how dumb it is to just leave such crucial evidence just laying about in the first place or even have all these characters agree to be filmed as they're being evil. Felt like terrible writing to have all of these seemingly untouchable figureheads brought down by some incredibly convenient evidence which blew the case wide open.

I got that same feeling when they discovered the contracts with signatures all over them. Feels like lazy writing.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm even completely done with Ray's storyline. I just can't believe how bad this show has failed at being engaging. I just barely still care about Ani.

I stopped coming here because of the insufferable posters who hate this show but keep watching because reasons.

Not only to keep watching, but to post about the show constantly. They have to drown the thread with their bullshit. I guess that's part of 'hatewatching'

It's been a pretty slow ride and tough to understand certain things throughout the season, but it's picked up since the shooting scene in episode 4. This was by far the best episode of the season and one of the best in the entire show. That entire sequence with Ani was terrifying, tense and amazing all into one.

Agreed

Anyone else thinking the final episode is gonna be
the detectives (or whoever is left of them) teaming up with the mask dudes? The shit our heroes are in seems way over their heads, and it reminds me of S1 with Rust complaining they didn't get everyone in that cult and Marty retorting they never will with how high up and how far reaching it was, but at least they got their killer.

Our protags are trying to get everyone. No way that contract is gonna get taken to their boss and fly well. It's got way too many important names, and they got it through sloppy means (Ani used her sister's name, she killed someone along with Ray probably, and they got away with a valuable circuit girl). They need outside help, which is where I can see them making some uneasy alliance with the bird guy and his supposed squad. Outside of them killing a family for the diamonds the mask group seems to be out to fuck over the land-deal guys. Idk, maybe I missed something and I'm just reading too much into Birdman not killing Ray and merely sending that dude to set the car on fire. Birdman could just be another land guy looking for dirt on everyone else in that circle though. Also wondering if Frank is gonna end up on the wrong side of the showdown too in the end. He seems to self-interested to help bring down those corrupt figures.

Just speculation tho. I rewatch every episode with subtitles and shit so I don't think I'm overlooking or going too deep into things but I probably did haha.

Finally guess,
Birdman is Rust.

I'm calling it.

jk.

Not really.

Grinchy

Banned
The best thing about hatewatching a show is the people in the threads who can't stand the negative opinions. So much entertainment from one horrible show.

CassSept

It's not really rocket science, it's a short season, it's not much of a time commitment if you keep up with the episodes (1 hour a week), it's airing during the summer so there are fewer shows people watch than usual and generally many have more free time, a lot of people still watch it so it's something to talk about irl with friends and seeing reactions on the Internet is often hilarious.

GAF was one of the reasons why I pushed on and survived Dexter's season 8, it was like watching a 3-months-long trainwreck in slow motion while everybody knew they can do nothing about it.

XAL

This season was pretty fucking glacial, and I'm still open minded at it.

I feel like there wasn't nearly enough weirdness in this season. Everything is so bleak and just not mysterious that it's hard to give a shit about the plot or anyone even though I like everyone's performances on the show.

It would have to be a fucking amazing last 2 episodes to save this season.

There should have been a lot more creep shit like bird man and paper plate mask dude.

Weirdness and hallucinations should have been one of the major elements from season 1 to carry over in a big way (they did a little bit but everything around it was so flat).

Shame. *ring a ling*

Top Bottom