• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

Daft_Cat

I actually found this pretty engaging. The show's got more of a Season 1 flavor than I was expecting. The character dynamic is totally shifted though. Like others are saying, the first season displayed a certain confidence with the "partners" dynamic, but this is much more of an ensemble piece. It doesn't seem like that same confidence in the direction is carrying over. It's too early to pass judgement, but it would be interesting to see Fukanaga's take on the same script.

In any case, interested to see where it goes. Bring it home Pizzaman!

Not as good as S1 so far, but this is gonna scratch a different itch. The itch called "Colin Ferrel telling a kid he's gonna buttfuck his dad with his moms headless corpse and Justin Lin camera spinning around characters as they give eachother serious looks". Should be fun even if I don't really feel these characters nearly as much as Rust and Cole so far.

Kill3r7

Decent start to the season. I doubt it will reach the heights of the first season but Colin Farrell will get tons of buzz for his performance.

Still can't believe no Fukunaga. You got a guy like that, you keep him. Justin Lin? I'm sorry, but considering the "quality" Fast & The Furious or not, I just didn't see anything inspiring here so far.

rikichi

So I gave this episode a shot and wow... That shit was horrible. Everyone over acting. Each scene was unimportant and had no meaning to overall story. And Taylor Kitshc. That motherfucker was horrible. Couldn't show any emotion even when getting his
dick sucked.

I thought the music and score was easily the best thing about the show thus far. I'll reserve my opinion until all is said and done but I thought the episode was decent at most. I'll say this though: there are better ways of balancing the progression of plot and introducing characters and their motivations. In addition, my fear from the teasers seems to be true in that the dialogue is pretty horrible so far. But who knows, maybe this'll be like season 2 of The Wire and I end up loving it.

So I gave this episode a shot and wow... That shit was horrible. Everyone over acting. Each scene was unimportant and had no meaning to overall story. And Taylor Kitshc. That motherfucker was horrible. Couldn't show any emotion even when getting his
dick sucked

don't you think that was the point?

Arc

I went in with the mindset that this was a whole new series and enjoyed it.

It's obviously impossible to not compare it to the first season, but they were never going to top that.

Rachel McAdams was fantastic.

Normal episode that looked like it just wanted to get done with character setting, and it did.
Should be good if butt shots continue at this pace.

Lothar

Banned
I loved True Detective's Season 1. Have to admit I turned this off before the end. It bored me and I wasn't liking or caring about anyone.

Wasn't really digging the episode up until the last 5-10 mins or so, but I understand they have to introduce characters and such.

It might take a few episodes for me to get over not having Matthew McConaughey on the show, though >.>

I went in with the mindset that this was a whole new series and enjoyed it.

It's obviously impossible to not compare it to the first season, but they were never going to top that.

Rachel McAdams was fantastic.

Same here - I thought it was solid. I just judged it on it's own merits.

I think many here will have trouble with that. Same as with Game of Thrones and comparing it with the source material.

I enjoyed it, not saying it was best premiere ever. But i feel this is getting so much criticism because of the true detective name. Everyone seems to expect s1 part 2

Well that was a very solid start I thought! A little confusing what with so many interconnected characters and plots being introduced in one episode but that'll get better over time. Colin Farrell was definitely the highlight and I certainly didn't expect his character to be like that. Holy shit @ that porch scene!

Looking forward to the next episode for sure. I feel a lot of people are going to be comparing it to season 1 at every opportunity which isn't really fair. It should be treated as a brand new show which it pretty much is.

Wasn't a fan of the theme song, though.

NYR

Bring back Woody and McConaughey, no matter the cost. It is already obvious they carried this shit last year, Pippen and Jordan style.

Oscar

Haters gonna hate, I enjoyed this episode and have high hopes for the rest of the season.

Really enjoying Colin Farrell and Rachel McAdams' characters. I had low expectations for those two based on the teasers but I'm fucking with them atm.

You guys are too hung up on the switch of directors and are too quick to abandon ship. Nic Pizzolatto is still the writer. It took me 3 episodes to get hooked on season 1, and I'm already interested in the characters of this one so i'm chillin.

Way too disjointed and I can't stand it when EVERY CHARACTER is a complete mess, but I'm in for the season. Worth watching for the headless corpse line alone.

Hopefully now that everyone has met, we'll get a more cohesive show.

XA1YWMK.gif

Squalor

More searching seems to indicate that the song in the bar, My Least Favorite Life, is the one you're talking about...
What? That was an original Lera Lynn song.

She's the one who wrote and performed the song from the trailer, which was called "The Only Thing Worth Fighting For."

Jarmel

Banned
I will grant that this was an opening episode but this episode was just completely unfocused. There was little coherency in transitions or themes and some of the jumps felt completely unnecessary like McAdam's in the car with the partner and he mentions her dad. Scene was totally useless. Felt like I was watching one of the bad Game of Thrones episodes in how the point of view just jumped all over the place.

Then some of these character backgrounds are almost too much. Farrell's character gets some brass knuckles and beats a guy up on his property after he calls the damn police station to get the address. McAdams's character has the weirdest family alive and the third cop that makes up the Justice League is on paid leave after a Hollywood Actress tries to give him a blowjob to get out a speeding ticket.

One of the reviews was right in that the dialogue felt too hammy. It was fine in S1 as Martin called Rust out on his bullshit but here people just say some of the most ridiculous shit. I mean, "Everybody gets touched". Really?

The cinematography and direction were extremely flat other than the bar sequence at the end. It felt like it was improving but yea it's not to S1 caliber.

All of that said, this was the first episode so it might come together later.

Qvoth

how was it guys? did the original main characters make a cameo? is the case even connected to the 1st season? didn't watch any trailers

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Enjoyed the hell out of it and loved the way the episode ended. Can't wait for more.

Farrell is nuts lol great job so far and the porch scene... wow

Top Bottom