• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

Jarmel

Banned
A bigger problem with the daddy fucking scene would have been how the lead-up was handled directorially. I feel like they could have made it more intense with the show following Ray as he drives to the house.

Felt much more like introductory episode than the first episode of the first season. I'm guessing it was done this way due to their being 4 main characters this time around, so they needed much more of a set-up to get to know them.

All four look like broken despicable people, want to know how it unfolds because I'm hooked.

I want McNulty and Velocro to join up and make a show together in HBO.

A show with not just one alcoholic, shitty dad, divorced, violent man who is actually a decent detective despite all of that. BUT TWO.

TTG

Boring. An hour of tablesetting is asking a lot of the viewer and while none of it was flagrantly bad, the middling back stories of these characters accumulated to a boring episode. Was there anything surprising about this cast? I wouldn't find them interesting if I met them in a GTA game. I'm already missing Woody's levity, that soundtrack isn't helping either.

EDIT: is Black Mountain suppose to be a simulacrum for Black Water? Because that could turn into something interesting.

Ashok

Banned
I guess it was just one episode but I'm yet to comprehend the appeal. There just seems to be zero intrigue and no sense of mystery. If I had more good shows to watch this summer, I would be hard pressed to want to continue with TD.

Jarmel

Banned
Obviously I have to see how it plays out but I feel the show would benefit from a more focused approach, it feels like the cast is too large and so everything is hurt trying to juggle all these characters. Some of the scenes I would like to linger don't, because there's not enough time.

Altazor

Wow, that was ten times more shitty than he thinks that episode of True Detective was.

I think VDW is a good reviewer (I like his earlier work at AV Club), so he must've been really pissed off to churn out something akin to a Buzzfeed clickbait article.

Fury451

Banned
Interesting. I would have thought the low point for the franchise would have been the absolutely awful ending to season one, complete with an Andre the Giant bearhug and two suddenly sappy cops sharing the night sky on a porch.

Ugh.yeah, I'm not one of the people who finds the first season to be "flawless" to begin with. Less the ending itself (I don't mind some sappiness, but it felt really forced, odd and saccharine ) more so the general resolution of the plot was meh.

Sounds like this episode is basically all the flaws that season 1 had distilled into one episode- haven't seen it yet, but anticipation is a bit cooled after these reviews and seeing that AV Club list.

KingKong

I dunno, I didn't have issues with the scene. The character is clearly supposed to be all sorts of conflicted/fucked up.

well that's the problem with the whole thing, he's supposed to be conflicted so he's conflicted in every scene. Collin Farrell is supposed to be troubled so he's troubled in every scene. There is zero subtlety

jmizzal

Having not seen season 1, my only thoughts watching this were "meh." Collin Farrel's scenes were good. Everyone else's were so damn boring.

Why are you watching this instead of Season 1? You will be better off

Tho this season may be good, so far not even on Season 1 level

Oscar

I just took this episode as the viewers getting introduced to the main characters. Not gonna worry about any "loose ends" in the first damn episode lol

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Almost all of the characters are over the top for me and feel like caricatures in an LA setting. Ray especially, I mean, cmon.

Im not hooked yet but I think it has promise.

Its unfortunate this has to exist in the shadow of season 1.

I actually liked the opening theme better than season 1...

TTG

Why'd you remove your YT clip? Just further proof that Season 2 of The Wire is absolutely elite.

Because there was a NSFW moment I forgot about. Apparently ok by youtube standards, but whatever.

Also, has anyone here seen In Bruges? It's Colin Farrell's best, he's great in it and it's a great movie. If you're feeling underwhelmed by tonight's premier, I highly recommend it.

Because there was a NSFW moment I forgot about. Apparently ok by youtube standards, but whatever.

Also, has anyone here seen In Bruges? It's Colin Farrell's best, he's great in it and it's a great movie. If you're feeling underwhelmed by tonight's premier, I highly recommend it.
The fact the movie is marketed as a comedy still disgusts me.

Kadin

Hated the intro (theme) but loved the actual show. Really liked all the characters. I'm pretty optimistic that it's gonna turn out good.

spootime

This is boring and seems like a parody of S1, which already wasnt amazing (although I really liked parts of it). I'm out.

WITHOUT SPOILERS

How was it?

Pretty good, but the memory of season 1 has given people unrealistic expectations. It's a bit unfair to judge a single episode against an entire first season anyway, but people in this thread were nitpicking literally within seconds of the intro song.

That said, it is a bit more scattered and less concise than s1 ep1. And I think it was a bit of a gamble to focus on four characters instead of two. Also, whereas Rust and Marty's investigation and character stories were given to us simultaneously, this took the risky move of spending most of the hour purely on establishing the characters and setting the table, and truly only setting things into motion toward the end of the episode. Which may have been asking a bit too much of viewers.

Thematically, the characters so far all seem even more bleak and irredeemable than our guys in the bayou. But again, it's a bit early.

Setting wise... I do like the nasty LA underbelly back drop. It's a scene we've definitely seen plenty in the past, but fuuuck they made it even filthier than usual. Like, something like Pulp Fiction is a cartoony caricature of the same setting by comparison.

labx

Banned
There is no way the show can handle the hype of season 1. I want to be wrong, but this first episode didn't deliver anything. Vapid.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
I can't get over just how hard the scene at the table in the bar was trying in every possible aspect. It was really bad.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
It was an interesting establishing episode. Tortured, driven individuals more concerned with their history and demons than their job. My suspicion is that that's going to change.

Also how can anyone dislike the opening credits song?!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
you're all insane, the new credits song is fucking great

TTG

I can't get over just how hard the scene at the table in the bar was trying in every possible aspect. It was really bad.

It needed a joke, or a song that didn't induce a full on cringe. Remember the good old days at the bar?

raising-the-bar.jpg

golem

Hmm, actually it felt nothing like what we know as True Detective. So I'm not sure where you're getting that.

Uh what?

Upstanding public servants? Or corrupt criminals, you decide!

Doll in the milk, deviant lifestyles, ooh so mysterious what does it mean?

Guy with his eyes melted out, does that count as ritualistic?

And of course every cop is an impressively broken person.

I went into this with the expectation of it not being anywhere close to the level of S1 and that was a good thing. Slow, kind of boring. Not close to giving up on it but I got what I expected which wasn't much.

Though it is hard to top the
"then start asking the right fucking questions"
line S1E1 ended with

Top Bottom