• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Hopefully the littlest Velcoro won't be the same Friends-watching disappointment that Chad was.

7dSERjX.png

Just saw this on Reddit.

Partition

Banned
They technically didn't but I think all that was needed was a time lapse showing Tony G and Lt. Burris being brought down and we actually see the justice occur instead.

We got some vague hope the reporter will actually make head lines and take the crooks in Vinci down.

a flashback montage showing Casper, the bank robbery, etc, would have made the show much stronger imo

naib

Y'all can keep trying to serve the haterade. Kinda slow burn this season but it ramped up nicely for me. Interesting characters. Just took a while.

It was an unconventional bitter-sweet ending I'm still thinking about. Not a whole lot I shows do that for me.

Burt

Serious question: what the hell was the police chief saying about the twins that made the guy go berserk?

His sister was actually only his half sister and was Caspere's illegitimate child with the mother, who was pregnant with another illegitimate child that Caspere didn't want, giving another reason for the robbery.

Someone said Velcoro got Heat-ed earlier in the thread, immediately what I thought of too. Such a stupid goddamn trope, right down there with making just one phone call when the person who knows their shit tells someone not to make any calls.

Arkeband

Banned
This thread gives an interesting insight into mob mentality, I'll say that much.

80% of the people in this thread spent 2 months watching a show they actively hated? Okay.

Yeah it isn't like the first season led us to believe the next episode had to be better or something.

Jarnet87

I thought the ending fit. The whole season it felt like all the main characters were in over their heads. Kind of feel like it would have made less sense for them to pull out a win when everything was pushing against them.

PBY

Banned
Kelly Reilly - terrible.
All the other acting was okayyyy to great

Biggest issue is- I feel like I just watched an 8 hour trailer? What the fuck happened. Why did it matter. Why these 4 characters? What the hell did frank or paul really mean? Sigh.

RS4-

Fuck man. I took a nap and just got up. Was going through Tumblr and saw something I shouldn't have.

Usually I avoid social media until I see the episode.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Wait how did the bad guys lose exactly? All wr know is some guy in venezuela has evidence now?

They technically didn't but I think all that was needed was a time lapse showing Tony G and Lt. Burris being brought down and we actually see the justice occur instead.

We got some vague hope the reporter will actually make head lines and take the crooks in Vinci down.

Yeah, I agree to this. I've seen the 'unseen' justice cliche too many times. I personally feel that the audience needed this ending.

ezekial45

Banned
I really do hope they'll go with the single director approach again next season. Obviously it's a ton of work, but it'd be worth it.

So many people on Reddit are confused why Frank died over nothing but a suit....there were $3.5 million dollars worth of diamonds in the pocket. Poor storytelling that the fact the diamonds were on him and so many people missed this.

Did they even take the diamonds after they stabbed him though?

Favorite moment, when Frank's girlfriend tells vince vaughn "You can't act for shit". True that, red.

At least nails is living the life, chilling in Venezuela with two hot women. The baby is his, I used my true detective skills to determine that.

LGVDBOw.jpg

i can't really tell how i feel about this finale yet but frank's last scene was pretty fucking powerful. VV really killed it this season in spite of some garbage writing.

Robot Pants

So many people on Reddit are confused why Frank died over nothing but a suit....there were $3.5 million dollars worth of diamonds in the pocket. Poor storytelling that the fact the diamonds were on him and so many people missed this.
The whole Stan situation all over again

i actually came to enjoy vince vaughn in the last couple of episodes. I think when they finally dropped the garbage monologues and existentialism he became a pretty entertaining criminal character. Too little too late though, most of the season had him shitting up an already mediocre season.

Colin Farrell was the only consistently good thing about this season imo. The writing and the direction and the other actors (not really their fault though tbh) ranged from meh to just straight crap.

The finale was enjoyable to me though because I'm a sucker for these escapes where you know they're not gonna make it but you're rooting for them to anyways like carlito's way or heat.

The plot itself and the whole mystery with casper and the corruption was sloppy though. Season 3 ain't shit if they let Pizzolato go it alone again and PLEASE get one single talented director on this who is willing to fight him on these ideas.

That's why season 1 worked. It was a dual collaboration with a lot of friction.

KingKong

Everything to do with the kid was hilarious. Him carrying that stupid badge to lunch, the shot of the phone not able to get reception

oh and btw velcoro having a baby AND showing us the paternity results was cheesy as fuck. it's like he thought the audience needed to see Ray's legacy live on.

True Detective Season 3: Chad's revenge

Frog-fu

Banned
That was a disappointing finale to a disappointing season. I didn't hate it, I didn't love it, it was just okay. The biggest sin this show commits is wasting the merit of its concepts.

Season 1 told a fantastic deep south occult thriller; and though it wasn't perfect, it truly tapped into the strength of its themes.

Season 2 was poised to give us a neo noir hollywood murder mystery but failed to utilise the strengths of its concept. Virtually everything it did and tried to do felt halfhearted, rushed, and at time aggressiively superficial - but when you break down the plot down to its basics, you have a very compelling drawing board. Unfortunately most of it didn't translate as well as it should have.

True Detective was originally conceived as a novel. Perhaps the show would be better served if Pizzolatto gave himself the time to conceive and develop future seasons similarily.

Top Bottom