• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

Dysun

Episode was a bit too scatter shot, but I was anticipating that from the early reviews. Enjoyed it alot none the less, can't wait to see where this season goes

Jarmel

Banned
McAdam's character, Antigone, needs better writing than what was on display last night or Pizzo will be eaten alive. The audience is introduced to her by her kinky sexual preference, the only character on the show done in such a manner. Afterwards she busts up a camwhatever where she and her sister get into an argument about how she is upholding these traditional views on sex. Her sister's jab at her about how everytime Anti walks, it's like two erasers coming together, was I think a jab saying her pussy was dusty. Not that it really makes sense as the prior scene establishes she gets laid but whatever. She then gets into an argument about her father about how she feels her sister is degrading herself by prostituting/camwhoring. This episode attached her to sex more so than any other character. Clumsily I might add.

Obviously this can change over the course of episodes but I don't think Antigone was what people had in mind when they wanted a female lead.

I feel like another thing that will be missing compared to season 1, that also ended up
being a redherring to the dissapointment of a lot of people
, was the mystery surrounding the cults and mentions of The King in Yellow and Carcosa. Most of the speculation and talk of the show was about this stuff.

answers to mysteries are never as exciting as the chase

I think S1 did a great job of enveloping its audience in enough deep level fuckery to believe certain things were possible

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Here comes the hyperbole...

The hyperbole came as soon as the first scene ended. A lot of people were just waiting for this to fail it seems like, and blew every little thing out of proportion.

Was it great? No, but it was the first episode of a series.

Cryxo93

Banned
I mentioned this earlier but I think it's worth reiterating. There is no Marty in this season right now and despite Rust being the overwhelming fan favorite, you also need someone like Marty for multiple reasons.

Marty served as a balance to keep Rust from sounding too preachy and also served as a way of grounding the show in that Rust might say something philosophical or pondering and Marty would be like "What the fuck are you talking about? Nobody wants to hear your shit". Here however we have Frank, Vaughn's character, have ridiculous lines such as "Never do anything when you're hungry" and nobody bats an eyelash at how absurdly stupid that is. As stated earlier, everybody is saying Rust dialogue but there isn't any counterweight. Pizzolatto's dialogue is now coming off as cheesy and over the top partly because nobody is calling it out but also Rust's character traits are being distributed among all the leads.

The other thing was that Marty was mostly normal. Yes yes he had his vices but he was still a fairly normal human being. Look at the four leads presented in this episode: one is a corrupt cop who had a wife who was raped and he's raising the rapist's kid and will probably lose custody, another has a prostitute sister and a cultist father while her mother committed suicide when she was a child (she was probably raped too hence the knife fetish), the third was badly burned when he was a kid/teenager before going into the army and is now suicidal, and the fourth is a crimeboss going straight. It says something when the person with the closest thing to a normal background is a crimeboss.

It's over the top and none of the characters are serving as a bridge to the audience.

You sir hit the nail on the head. I do hope the writing and the delivery in the later episodes get better but I'm not so sure if that will happen.

kingocfs

Don't get the hate for the astronaut line. It was the only line with any punch behind it. The hate for the episode is clouding judgment on a good line of dialogue. And it's not overly expositional.

Yeah it was one of the least offensive things of the ep. My favorite exchange was when Farrell and Vaughn were drinking at the bar.

"You're supposed to savor that."

"Let me try that again."

Fjordson

I didn't mind the astronaut line either. I mean a lot of the dialogue in this (and last season) is a bit moody and over the top, but I'm alright with it.

big ander

It wasn't entirely the lines--the actors delivering them are a barrier. I like Farrell well enough but the man can't sell pseudo-intellectual psychobabble the way Matthew "I Don't Sleep I Just Dream" McConaughey could. There's also the fact that from the jump Rust's philosophy was being interrogated and questioned by Marty. It was played for laughs. Lines like the astronaut one last night didn't have that context.

Fjordson

It wasn't entirely the lines--the actors delivering them are a barrier. I like Farrell well enough but the man can't sell pseudo-intellectual psychobabble the way Matthew "I Don't Sleep I Just Dream" McConaughey could. There's also the fact that from the jump Rust's philosophy was being interrogated and questioned by Marty. It was played for laughs. Lines like the astronaut one last night didn't have that context.
That's true. I guess the balance is a little off without a character like Marty.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Just saw the first episode

1) I miss the theme song from the first season a lot
2) that trio at the end. I fear this season will be a bit over the top for me with the misfit/troubled/drunken cop cliche
3) i have no idea what's going on - that I expect after the first episode though

Yeah it was one of the least offensive things of the ep. My favorite exchange was when Farrell and Vaughn were drinking at the bar.

"You're supposed to savor that."

"Let me try that again."

Yeah if you're gonna whip out the alcoholic detective trope you might as well go all in. Farrell's character is geniously over the top. He's easily the most entertaining aspect of the 1st ep.

Vince Vaughn on the other hand was a sullen wet fart the whole ep and has the worst plot line thus far becuase I didn't fucking want to watch a gangster try to be legitimate in Godfather part 3 and that was Al Pacino selling it, so I sure as hell don't want to watch Vince Vaughn try to do it.

Farrell has more charisma in his mustache than Vaughn does in his entire acting career.

ZQQLANDER

Just saw the first episode

1) I miss the theme song from the first season a lot
2) that trio at the end. I fear this season will be a bit over the top for me with the misfit/troubled/drunken cop cliche
3) i have no idea what's going on - that I expect after the first episode though

Why the hell didn't they use the Lera Lynn's song from the promo?! I actually thought it was better than the Handsome Family's "Far from Any Road" (which I loved).

dekline

I might watch ep1 tonight if it's on demand. The reviews are killing it for me which might actually be a good thing. Low expectations = possible surprise.

to be fair i can't recall many people who can match mcconaughey's spacey delivery right now.

he's managed to somehow master both the all american dad role and also the existential hippy. i haven't seen this yet tho lol, watching later today)

looking forward to it, despite the mixed reviews.

Fjordson

This could just be me, but the other thing that worked for Rust is that he had a decent goal underneath all the craziness in trying to solve the case. I mean innocent people dying and women and children being horribly abused is clearly a bad thing. So you had something to root for, despite Rust and Marty being highly flawed.

J.EM1

Looking forward to it. Found it interesting that Colin Farrell's character works for a fictional police department compared to McAdams and Kitch's real-life police depts. Wonder why they wrote it that way.
Just saw the premiere. And I think I have an understanding of why they wrote in a fictional city and fictional police department. I guess the writers want to imitate some of LA County's real life cities that have and still are experiencing corruption at the highest levels, i.e. City of Maywood, City of Vernon..

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
This works SO well.

I'd even settle for reusing the music from S1.

The current song just doesn't fit the visuals and fails to setup the tone of the show.

Couldn't agree more. They really dropped the ball with this song choice for the opening credits. Visually though it's stunning.

Squalor

Goddammit, it's so much better with the Lera Lynn song.
Judge Justified by its first episode only.
I'll do pilots from just the last five years (just so we can avoid the most obvious ones like Breaking Bad, Deadwood, Mad Men, The Sopranos, and The Wire) that were better than this episode, which is essentially a pilot:

Homeland: Turned in an all-time-great pilot for a first season that ranks as one of the best first and single seasons of any show.

True Detective season one: of course.

Transparent: Amazon struck gold with this amazing show. Incredible pilot and first season.

Justified: The pilot had all the personality True Detective's second-season pilot was missing.

The Returned: the French one, not the lackluster American remake.

Rectify: Season three will be the show of the summer. One of the top shows of the last few years.

The Killing: The pilot was great and had so much promise, but then the second half of the season happened...

Fargo

Orange Is the New Black

Masters of Sex

Top of the Lake

Game of Thrones

The Walking Dead

I actually like the intro song a lot but I guess I'm pretty alone in that.

Nah I dug too. It's just, like everything else about the pilot, seemingly self-consciously trying to one up itself on gravelly, manly man, gritty, damaged detective fantasy. An approach which will simultaneously deliver great entertainment value and eye-rolling over the topness of this season I suspect.

Like Farrell telling a 12 year old he's evil as fuck, and ending the episode on a spinning three way shot of the three main characters glowering at eachother it is both profoundly stupid and incredibly enjoyable to watch.

Serpico99

I loved the intro song. It's got me right in the mood like the song in S1. I was worried they were going to use the trailer song.

/shrug

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I love how California is portrayed so far. Maybe it's because I've never been there but it's giving off this almost outer worldly feel to it.

Oof, I've completely been forgetting to catch up on s2 of this. Season 1 was the most original drama I'd seen on TV in years.

I like it. I liked all the music in this ep.

A lot of the music used in the episode was fantastic.

I love how California is portrayed so far. Maybe it's because I've never been there but it's giving off this almost outer worldly feel to it.

highway-600x333.jpg

The aerial shots are great.

Also, a lot of reviews are saying this looks like most cop procedural shows out there...that makes me think what fucking cop shows are they watching? I was super skeptical about Lin replacing Fukunaga, and while I think Season 1's cinematography is better, Lin is no slouch either. I thought the episode was shot pretty great for the most part, even if it was playing in a more familiar wheelhouse than the first season.

Is there anyone that's swearing off the show based on this episode? It's funny, I fall in line with the negative crowd, but I still want to watch more.

jelly

highway-600x333.jpg

The aerial shots are great.

Also, a lot of reviews are saying this looks like most cop procedural shows out there...that makes me think what fucking cop shows are they watching? I was super skeptical about Lin replacing Fukunaga, and while I think Season 1's cinematography is better, Lin is no slouch either. I thought the episode was shot pretty great for the most part, even if it was playing in a more familiar wheelhouse than the first season.

I love the music during the aerial shots.

Squalor

Really? I think the score has been bad and discordant. The soundtrack, opening aside, has been pretty good, though.
Is there anyone that's swearing off the show based on this episode? It's funny, I fall in line with the negative crowd, but I still want to watch more.
I'm definitely not swearing it off. Apparently, the third episode is the best of the first three.

Top Bottom