• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

ZQQLANDER

Is there anyone that's swearing off the show based on this episode? It's funny, I fall in line with the negative crowd, but I still want to watch more.

No way. I was disappointed in the pilot, but am really eager for episode 2.

Side note: Rectify had some potential, but is officially the slowest TV series ever.

Thought the pilot was pretty good, but the first season did a much better job of establishing exactly what was going on, the main plot hook and the characters. This one took its sweet time introducing the characters and their personalities, and there wasn't enough of the main story hook. I'm guessing that'll change though obviously.

Also Colin Farrell beating the shit out of that kid's dad was unintentionally(?) hilarious. Goofy as fuck.

Squalor

Side note: Rectify had some potential, but is officially the slowest TV series ever.
Slow shows are fine provided it actually has meaningful character development, e.g., Mad Men and Rectify.

This season-two pilot, however, was a good example of a slow episode with no meaning character development.

kirblar

It's just stupid, someone thinking they're making High Art. That sort of stuff actually really pisses me off even though it has no bearing on the actual narrative.
After watching the ep, I thought that was the point of the name- her dad being a giant douche.

ZQQLANDER

Slow shows are fine provided it actually has meaningful character development, e.g., Mad Men and Rectify.

This season-two pilot, however, was a good example of a slow episode with no meaning character development.

Agree 100%. In fact the beginning of season 2 was when I began to loose interest.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I loved the intro song. It's got me right in the mood like the song in S1. I was worried they were going to use the trailer song.

/shrug

Not alone there. Leonard Cohen is the man, especially with lyrics. Somebody in this thread made a comment about how he has no plans to pick up the latest Cohen album based on this song. Well, hate to break it to that person, but:

1. This isn't a new Cohen song. I remember hearing variations of this as early as 2006 or 2007.

2. It's not like this song is a dramatic departure from anything Cohen has done in the past. It's Cohen through and through.

Also, I feel like the intro song--at least thematically--fits the series better. There's no doubt that Season 1 had a really great and atmospheric tune to accompany the credits, but the lyrics are definitely Southwestern:

From the dusty mesa her looming shadow grows
Hidden in the branches of the poison creosote

She twines her spines up slowly towards the boiling sun,
And when I touched her skin, my fingers ran with blood.

In the hushing dusk, under a swollen silver moon,
I came walking with the wind to watch the cactus bloom.

A strange hunger haunted me; the looming shadows danced.
I fell down to the thorny brush and felt a trembling hand.

When the last light warms the rocks and the rattlesnakes unfold,
Mountain cats will come to drag away your bones.

And rise with me forever across the silent sand,
And the stars will be your eyes and the wind will be my hands.

Doesn't exactly scream LOOZYANNA, does it?

I think the score and soundtrack have been pretty damn good so far.

Most of the criticism in here is so forced it's actually hilarious.

why is this such an ovewhelming response by people who enjoyed the first episode? Being instantly dismissive of criticism and casting a wide fucking net statement without providing reasoning as to why you say it.

I thought the first episode was ok but there's no need to fucking dismiss criticism because you thought the show was good.

It was good, but not great.

The intro montage is meh.

Farrell aside, the performances fall flat.

People are being too harsh on it. Of course it cannot meet your expectations after the bomb that was Season One.

Wavebossa

A lot of this hate feels unwarranted.

Agreed.

But I also feel that the show would benefit from a Marty type character.

Oh and people are dissing the new intro?? Man... what?

People are being too harsh on it. Of course it cannot meet your expectations after the bomb that was Season One.

Is bomb a positive thing when talking about a TV show?

lol i'm seriously asking, never heard of that used that way.

Robot Pants

Well I expected to 100% hate this but I'm fully onboard.
I thought it was a great premiere and set up plenty for the future episodes. I can definitely see this show starting very very slowly and ramping up at the end. Pretty much the reverse of last season.

I just hope the ending isn't disappointing.

JDSN

Banned
Wow that was a bit oppressive, by the end of the episode I was begging to Vince Vaungh to channel his comedy character to give some levity to this, it felt really childish in a "Too edgy for you" way, some good acting but they all have this perpetually miserable look to them that by the end of the hour the only character that seems interesting to me is the mobster's wife.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Wow that was a bit oppressive, by the end of the episode I was begging to Vince Vaungh to channel his comedy character to give some levity to this, it felt really childish in a "Too edgy for you" way, some good acting but they all have this perpetually miserable look to them that by the end of the hour the only character that seems interesting to me is the mobster's wife.

Vince Vaughn is a regular type dude with a big ass dick.

Can someone please explain the tiny woman in the milk bowl to me? I couldn't work out what perspective we were looking at that from. Was it a screen of some sort?

Not as amazing as season 1, but still very good.
Colin Farrell was the best part of the episode. Rachel McAdams grew on me. Not sure about Vince Vaughn and Taylor Kitsch yet.
Visually it's not as good as season 1, but there were some good shots.
Some of the lines should've been cut.
I didn't like the song in the opening credits, but the credits themselves were good.

I do not know what to make of this show after the first episode.

It felt dull but it also felt like something that could really be great.

I don't know.

Robot Pants

Not a giant fan of the intro song but I don't hate it either and I think it works better than the trailer song. That one is too slow and fits the mood of the show even less in my opinion.

Mordeccai

On a rewatch, I enjoyed the episode much more. I like the opening sequence, song and visuals both, though I will admit the youtube link with the teaser music overlayed on the opening was a bit better.

Really need to see the second episode to get a grasp on the season, I feel. As a pilot, it's not the best due to being quite scattered (several cuts I could not follow, the time skip early on in the episode with Colin and Vince threw me off on first watch, I thought Taylor Kitsch was a younger Colin until the end of the episode when they all gathered and I had a massive mindfuck moment), but the elements that really stand out on a rewatch are the sound track, and Colin's performance.

I also noticed when we see the Birdman drop off Casper's body, there is a blue road sign in the back ground that says "something Catalyst Group". Catalyst was also mentioned in the rail way meeting with Vince and the Russian dude. Dude was obviously placed there in the open as a threat, and I'm kind of interested in seeing a larger scale corporate/crime syndicate plot as opposed to a rural serial killer.

I'm in for the season. This and Hannibal are set to keep me well entertained.

What do you guys think ani's kink is? I think it something bigger than just anal, something violent. Maybe pegging or choking.

I immediately thought that she liked to be hit--like, actually struck/punched.

Anal isn't really anything for a dude to make a concerned fuss over, especially in Pizza's world.

There was some nice cinematography in this episode. Asides from the last shot, can anyone post some shots from it?

RTxjY8.png
allZR9.png

X3psCt.png
SwFmVf.png

H2B6AS.png
DNmQQc.png

MtZ0ff.png
ZuW3ov.png

eMEwZC.png
khdrJj.png

dMRUI5.png
I8MOtQ.png

eKf4ii.png
fFLBMk.png

R0bfOW.png
cEUN6C.png

Telling y'all, anal play really isn't considered "crazy" for a lot of people. If it's that, it's a weird way to introduce her character (well, it's already kinda weird).

I'm betting pegging or violently rough sex.

forrest

formerly nacire
I enjoyed the episode. It didn't grab me like season 1's opener, but I didn't have any problem with the acting or anything like that. It was slow, sure, but it wasn't bad. Hell I even though Vaughn was fine and I usually wince at most of his stuff.

Gattsu25

Banned
What do you guys think ani's kink is? I think it something bigger than just anal, something violent. Maybe pegging or choking.

I love the fact that this is the most pertinent character defining question we can ask about her given the scant information that we know.

I'll bite though: she wanted her finger cut off?

I love the fact that this is the most pertinent character defining question we can ask about her given the scant information that we know.

I'll bite though: she wanted her finger cut off?

Something to do with daddy issues.

also:

LOVE! your avatar. It's my phone screen. I've been in love with that photo since I saw it.

Vyer

Interesting enough to get me to check out the next episode. See a little groundwork for what could be the underlying 'mysteries' of this season. Not buying fully into Riggins and Vaughn yet, but we'll see.

Not a fan of the new intro song.

Lothar

Banned
Is there anyone that's swearing off the show based on this episode? It's funny, I fall in line with the negative crowd, but I still want to watch more.

I'm done for now but I'll come back if the consensus is that it gets better or the second it has a scene as good as the first car ride scene between Rust and Marty in the first 10 minutes of Season 1 episode 1.

I was just so bored for all of it.

Top Bottom