• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

coleco

So you... didn't care for the first season, haven't cared for the first two episodes on season two... why are you watching? Do you enjoy watching things you dislike? I'm not saying it's not okay to dislike it but... I find it odd that someone would do this to themselves.

I guess I'm the kind of person that needs to watch a show to have an opinion on it, and doesn't always end up liking it. Doesn't seem very odd to me.

the monologue in the beginning seems force
I start looking at Colin's character as noire detective and kinda makes sense
Also I need to ride with this guys. Stop lights are always green
Damn that end

tumblr_nqospnqOeH1qzzyu5o1_250.png

Liked the 2nd episode. It's hitting a lot of the right notes for me, where I think it's biggest flaw might end up being that it's called "True Detective". It just feels so different to me, and maybe that's why I'm enjoying more, I went in expecting something completely different.

styl3s

Yeah it was a direct gut shot so he could be alive as long as he is stuck in the hospital for a long time
The fact there was absolutely no blood from the hit, after the hit, coming out of the mouth or on the ground and the face reaction he had leads me to believe they were non lethal rounds. This is HBO, there would of been blood.

hokahey

I was luke warm on ep 1. Maybe a 5 out of 10. This was more of a 7 or 8. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I wonder how many people truly understand the origins of the True Detective moniker and what this show is really supposed to be.

Granted, this episode was only as good as the worst of S1, but that's still pretty good. It's pulpy true crime shit. I can dig it.

If S1 was a 9, and this can be a 7, so be it. I hope there are many more seasons because this is right up my alley. I've always loved pulp detective stories.

blackflag

It's still terrible. I think I'm going to watch episode 2 again tomorrow and decide whether to stick with it. I got bored enough that I started playing Hearthstone so I missed why he went to that house and some dialogue.

I should clarify, it's not boring because it's slow and methodical. I like that. It's Vince Vaughn and somewhat Colin Ferrell. They are annoying me. I can't picture Vaughn running anything and he's not convincing at all.

zychi

Banned
Episode 1 and 2 are about a C and that's being generous. Vince Vaghn is so unconvincing as a dude running shit.

He isn't running shit? He's a low level guy being pushed around by other people

The 'boss' doesn't sit in the front seat and tell his driver what to do. He has people for that

hydruxo

Decent ep, though it felt a bit disheveled? I didn't feel like alot of the scenes meshed together very well. I mean I'm interested to see where it goes from here so I'm still on board.

Dysun

I had this weird feeling last week that Velcoro wasn't long for the show and he would get whacked. Not sure if I'm buying it yet though

nahlakhai

Chemistry seems to be building with not only Farrell and McAdams as actors but also Ray and Ani. I liked last week's episode and this week is improving on it as the plot and characterization unfold.

The weakest link right now seems to be Kitsch or Vaughn's characters, although that
car accident scene
with Vaughn shows where his acting chops are really at.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Velcro likely isn't dead;
the "scenes from the next episode" clip shows his chief referring to one of his men "shot," not "dead."
Scenes from
early trailers show him in scenes we have not witnessed yet.

Which leads to something interesting:
If Mr. Birdmask wanted him dead, he would be dead
. This is still a bit of a slow burn so far, the manner in which Caspere was killed, and the weirdness surrounding his day to day life, could make things very interesting. He was murdered in a way that ties into his activities, but was put on display in public in a way that causes a major problem for several powerful people. Birdman went out of his way to make sure he could be seen and identified.

Last year was about people sweeping occult practices under the rug, this year seems to be about blase attitudes towards sexual crimes. The missing woman has to tie into it, or there would be no other reason for that eviction notice scene from the first episode to exist. I get the impression that Caspere either abused or did away with a prostitute who had made some very dangerous friends while still on Earth.

Pimpwerx

Good episode. Velcoro is my favorite character, because he's so complex. I'll be disappointed if this is his end, but also if they try to revive him somehow. Wow. I didn't expect this so soon. PEACE.

Jonm1010

Banned
Scenes from
early trailers show him in scenes we have not witnessed yet.

Which leads to something interesting:
If Mr. Birdmask wanted him dead, he would be dead
. This is still a bit of a slow burn so far, the manner in which Caspere was killed, and the weirdness surrounding his day to day life, could make things very interesting. He was murdered in a way that ties into his activities, but was put on display in public in a way that causes a major problem for several powerful people. Birdman went out of his way to make sure he could be seen and identified.

Last year was about people sweeping occult practices under the rug, this year seems to be about blase attitudes towards sexual crimes. The missing woman has to tie into it, or there would be no other reason for that eviction notice scene from the first episode to exist. I get the impression that Caspere either abused or did away with a prostitute who had made some very dangerous friends while still on Earth.

Was the stripper that gave the lead to Vaughn the sister? The picture looked similar and the maids at the religious place told McAdams character she left to go work the "club circuit" because of better hours and more pay.

Plus she had a Spanish accent if I remember.

It's fucking Hotline Miami in there. Jesus. Wasn't expecting that. Is that really the end if Ray already?

I liked this episode even more then the premiere. More detective work. Movement in regards to finding out what happened with Casper. Deeper insight into the 3 detectives, and the e-cig burns x 2.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Much better episode than the first, which isn't surprising. I don't get the hate for Vince at all, I hate him in almost everything, but I'm loving him here. Ferrel & McAdams really stealing the show so far though.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Ray is now sucking robot dicks in heaven.

All around great episode, really starting to dig this season. I don't think Ray is dead, though, Pizzaman is no GRRM.

Much better episode than the first, which isn't surprising. I don't get the hate for Vince at all, I hate him in almost everything, but I'm loving him here. Ferrel & McAdams really stealing the show so far though.

I don't either.

Feels like he's doing a pretty decent job so far.

Sean

Banned
I liked this episode better than the first, but still not really feeling this season so far. Farrell and McAdams are great, but Vaughn just doesn’t have the chops for this role. Kitsch isn't good either.

Ending was a cool cliffhanger but seems like... kind of a bad idea?
- If they kill Ray, they just got rid of the best character on the show
- If he survives and is hospitalized then they've just sidelined the best character on the show
- If he survives and is back to normal next week that completely cheapens the ending

Can't really envision a satisfying scenario here.

XAL

I liked this episode better than the first, but still not really feeling this season so far. Farrell and McAdams are great, but Vaughn just doesn’t have the chops for this role. Kitsch isn't good either.

Ending was a cool cliffhanger but seems like... kind of a bad idea?
- If they kill Ray, they just got rid of the best character on the show
- If he survives and is hospitalized then they've just sidelined the best character on the show
- If he survives and is back to normal next week that completely cheapens the ending

Can't really envision a satisfying scenario here.

Maybe he got shot with non-lethal rounds?

Derwind

Episode 2 was far better than first episode. The pacing was spot on. I'm actually happy with Vince Vaughns acting(his was my biggest concern), its pretty good.

I wonder whose blood it was on the floor at the end of that episode.

Is Colin Ferrels character dead so soon?

XAL

Episode 2 was far better than first episode. The pacing was spot on. I'm actually happy with Vince Vaughns acting(his was my biggest concern), its pretty good.

I wonder whose blood it was on the floor at the end of that episode.

Is Colin Ferrels character dead so soon?

I don't know. But all that blood was under a sex swing so...something bad

It's only the second episode but I lose interest quickly and often. Terrible performances all around.

Sounds like it's not worth watching anymore for you.

That was even more fucking terrible than the premiere.

That opening monologue was awful and so is Vaughn in this.

You couldn't be more right. That opening scene is a hall of fame all time bad scene of television. The writing, the acting, the directing--it all added up to one of the most unintentionally hilarious things I've ever seen. What a terrible way to open up an episode.

Pimpwerx

Ray is now sucking robot dicks in heaven.

All around great episode, really starting to dig this season. I don't think Ray is dead, though, Pizzaman is no GRRM.

I don't either.

Feels like he's doing a pretty decent job so far.
The whole cast is doing a great job so far. People just like to exaggerate. Vince might not be doing as good a job as Colin and Rachel, but I've got zero issue with his effort. And I was scared by the casting for this season. PEACE.

Fathom

Banned
I liked tonight's episode more than the premiere. McAdams is totally miscast, Kitsch just sucks, but Farrell and Vaughn are fantastic. Vaughn's opening monologue fell a little flat for me, but I think that was more on the direction of it than anything he did wrong.

McAdam's and Farrell don't really have any chemistry. She's just a stick in the mud and totally lifeless - I wish they cast Elizabeth Moss instead. Farrell clearly isn't dead because in the first trailer they released a month or two ago there's shots of him raiding something wearing a bulletproof vest.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I thought the premiere episode was fairly average, but I have to say that I enjoyed the second episode way more. All the pieces were in place, and everything just flowed way better.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
That was even more fucking terrible than the premiere.

You couldn't be more right. That opening scene is a hall of fame all time bad scene of television. The writing, the acting, the directing--it all added up to one of the most unintentionally hilarious things I've ever seen. What a terrible way to open up an episode.
Are you always this hyperbolic with everything or did you just blow your load on a good hour of television ?

CDX

So far, overall I'm liking season 2. It's not the best thing that's EVER been on TV, but I like it.

For me it took me watching about half of the season 1 episodes before I could say I liked it. So I'm expecting season 2 to continue to improve as the season goes on as well.

Although I'm still not finding Vince Vaughn's acting believable for this role.

Top Bottom