• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

iddqd

Expected to not like S2 after reading some posts here but I do.
Everything moves nicely, I care about the plot lines and it looks great.

Excited to watch more!

Wut? This episode looked great. Y'all are crazy. Look at those screenshots.

Naw, we ain't crazy.

Saying "Look at those screens!" isn't the same as explaining how the shot choices and lighting on display in those screens match (or don't) the same in S1 (they don't match).

S1 had a more washed out look with greater contrast and a much richer color palate. Fukunaga and Arkapaw also created greater tension visually that matched the timing and drama of the scene, usually through careful camera panning. The shots were longer and more considered and tracked the actors, accentuating their interaction with each other, their environment and the on-screen composition.

Lin and co just cut to a reverse shot instead and it feels choppy and fractured rather than slow and considered.

There's tons more, but the show's established (and quite rich and wonderful) visual language is basically gone.

EDIT: For example, and I know this particular choice has been beaten to death, but the sequence of Kitsch trying to kill himself, giving up, and then slamming on the brakes is laughable. The whole thing cuts too quickly and any visual power or timing or sense of continuity is wholly lost. It's just so safe and uncreative. The first 15mins of S1 has more daring filimaking than the whole of S2 so far.

~Kinggi~

Banned
You know i was just thinking 'well Colin is at least a great actor in this' while watching so of course the logical thing to do is kill him.

Saya

Not really feeling this season yet. Farrell has been great. Vaughn just horrible. McAdams passable, and Kitsch I have hope for yet. Writing has been pretty bad and so forcibly edgy and existentialist or whatever. What's up with the songs in the bar that Farrell and Vaughn go to? So darkness.

How many aerial shots did they have of the city in the last episode? Felt like filler to me.

You know i was just thinking 'well Colin is at least a great actor in this' while watching so of course the logical thing to do is kill him.

c5a501e0ca324817ea39f1982c63c3c0-young-george-rr-martin.gif

Imm0rt4l

I'm in. Curious to see what the powers at hand within Vinci are. "Secret handshakes",masks, massive amount of money funneling through the city. Rays definitely not wrong in saying they aren't supposed to solve this. I'd imagine the resolution by the final episode will be as hollow a victory as season 1s.

I know it's only the 2nd episode but I feel like ray and Frank's relationship may be at a turning point, assuming that he's alive. They weren't particularly pleasant to eachother, and Ray left the money on the table. Then there's the whole getting shot after going to Caspers place on Frank's request.

I don't think the opening monolog was executed well. I won't say Vince vaughn was a total misfire, I just think the directing leaves a lot to be desired.

Why do people keep bringing up this no blood thing? There was never a good camera angle or close up shot that lingered on his abdomen to show us if he was bleeding or not. You realize a shot of pellet isn't going to cause an exploding fountain of blood the second it hits you, right?

Regardless of how realistic it is, they haven't exactly been conservative when it comes to portraying brutal violence. The lack of blood in the scene is noticeable in that sense.

Remember that bit from S1 where Marty and Rust have followed Ledoux to his truck? Where Rust is talking about hunting not just being waiting for a buck to come sniff a gas bait? You know, where we've got camera panning and rack focus to accentuate the drama? And then where the two cross that little bridge and camera movement and framing make the environment the third character? Or when they're sneaking through the greenery, not center-framed, heads just above the foliage, moving into the bottom-left of the frame?

There is nothing so intimate and considered on display so far in S2, which is so very disappointing.

And that's just the visuals, not even the characters, themes, or structure.

emrober5

Just finished the second episode.

That...certainly was interesting at the end. It hasn't reached season one heights yet, obviously, but so far it's good.

The cinematography is just different. S1 was more classically shot with slower pans and likely the luxury of having more time for individual set ups, on top of Fukunaga and Arkapaw having an eye for that style. S2 feigns that look while playing it a bit looser and more modern due to the shift in location and central characters. In fact, i think S2 is still trying too hard to be like season 1 and would benefit from an even more kinetic and physical shooting style to match the intensity of the central characters.

I think the real issue is that the plotting and editing are nowhere near as engaging as those initial episodes in season 1 where jumping around the timeline provided a real drive and hypnotic quality to the pacing even though the individual scenes were very measured and deliberate. These first 2 episodes feel kinda dry in the way that cable dramas tend to before the pieces fall into place and the ball gets rolling. I'll give it until the forth episode and hope the season finds its stride.

I thought the opening monologue by Vince Vaughn character was so contrived and stupid but the rest SAS good. Great swerve at the end.

team alive

The cinematography is just different. S1 was more classically shot with slower pans and likely the luxury of having more time for individual set ups, on top of Fukunaga and Arkapaw having an eye for that style. S2 feigns that look while playing it a bit looser and more modern due to the shift in location and central characters. In fact, i think S2 is still trying too hard to be like season 1 and would benefit from an even more kinetic and physical shooting style to match the intensity of the central characters.

I think the real issue is that the plotting and editing are nowhere near as engaging as those initial episodes in season 1 where jumping around the timeline provided a real drive and hypnotic quality to the pacing even though the individual scenes were very measured and deliberate. These first 2 episodes feel kinda dry in the way that cable dramas tend to before the pieces fall into place and the ball gets rolling. I'll give it until the forth episode and hope the season finds its stride.

If S2 was shot, edited and scored more like a Michael Mann movie it'd be way better, for sure. The trouble is that there's an established visual structure that was the show's signature, and there isn't a confident, complete, vision to replace it.

It is much more like a cable drama now in nearly every aspect, from the lighting to the editing to the writing and the acting. I'm gonna keep watching the thing, but much more out of rubber-necker curiosity than genuine engagement.

Nafai1123

Banned
Damn I am really not enjoying watching this show, but I feel like I have to keep it up in the hopes it'll get better. As other have mentioned, the cinematography has taken a major hit, and this has reaffirmed my belief that Vince Vaughn is not a good actor. The only redeeming performance has been by Colin, so of course they decide to
to (maybe) kill him off[
. McAdams has been good but I don't think she's had any challenging scenes. I dunno, I guess it's pretty hard to live up to S1. Hopefully it gets better.

The secret occult history of California's highway system as shot like Miami Vice or Collateral, but with I5 and the various little communities of central and northern CA as the "third character" with two main characters who both embody and defy their stereotypes and play off of and challenge each other.

That's the show I want.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Not feeling this season at all. Characters and writing have been bad. Don't see anything interesting till now. Season 1 cinematography and rust and Woody partnership instantly grabbed my attention, but in this season, it feels like some b grade generic cop drama with weird sexual elements infused as filler.

This True detective doesn't feel true detective to me.

oatmeal

Banned
Naw, we ain't crazy.

Saying "Look at those screens!" isn't the same as explaining how the shot choices and lighting on display in those screens match (or don't) the same in S1 (they don't match).

S1 had a more washed out look with greater contrast and a much richer color palate. Fukunaga and Arkapaw also created greater tension visually that matched the timing and drama of the scene, usually through careful camera panning. The shots were longer and more considered and tracked the actors, accentuating their interaction with each other, their environment and the on-screen composition.

Lin and co just cut to a reverse shot instead and it feels choppy and fractured rather than slow and considered.

There's tons more, but the show's established (and quite rich and wonderful) visual language is basically gone.

EDIT: For example, and I know this particular choice has been beaten to death, but the sequence of Kitsch trying to kill himself, giving up, and then slamming on the brakes is laughable. The whole thing cuts too quickly and any visual power or timing or sense of continuity is wholly lost. It's just so safe and uncreative. The first 15mins of S1 has more daring filimaking than the whole of S2 so far.

I'm with you here...lacking a lot of the visual language from Season 1.

And the in-car green screen stuff was just ridiculously awful looking. Put the camera on the car, or get someone decent to do your comps. And for fucks sakes, move some lights around to fake the lights passing.

Does anyone know what that skeleton statue with crown was all about from episode 1? I'm guessing it has to do with the theme of this season?

Jarmel

Banned
Isn't that sort of what his character is "about" though? He's a self made man who has gone through ups and downs, had his life in crime, and now had a big shot at going "legit" but it's just another step in the game plan for him. He doesn't want to appear desperate because it would make him seem vulnerable and not in control. I don't think he has reached a "oh fuck everything is totally scewed the money is really ALL gone now!" moment yet. He still believes he can fix it.

When he tells his subordinate in episode one not to look hungry and to never do anything out of hunger, not even eating, I assumed that was exactly what he was talking about. Having said that, I don't think Vaughn is really pulling his weight among the cast, but he's not being out of character or anything.

Well I think part of Vaughn's 'acting' is indeed how he's being directed in that his character hasn't truly gone down the rabbit hole yet. However even during scenes such as the monologue at the beginning of the episode, Vaughn isn't hitting those home runs. Even later when he realizes he might be totally fucked, Vaughn doesn't give the character any sort of depth other than clueless.

There are also scenes such as the hit car where Vaughn just completely fails at being threatening to the point of me wondering how he became a crime boss in the first place.

Rur0ni

Well I think part of Vaughn's 'acting' is indeed how he's being directed in that his character hasn't truly gone down the rabbit hole yet. However even during scenes such as the monologue at the beginning of the episode, Vaughn isn't hitting those home runs. Even later when he realizes he might be totally fucked, Vaughn doesn't give the character any sort of depth other than clueless.

There are also scenes such as the hit car where Vaughn just completely fails at being threatening to the point of me wondering how he became a crime boss in the first place.
Yeah I think that was the weakest bit for me last episode. The breakup was a little off too.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I really liked Vince's opening monologue. He did a pretty great job, and I felt like there needed to be at least one character willing to go into a long monologue about how terrifying life is. The first episode didn't give Vince enough time to really show his stuff, but god I love full on mobster Vince tearing shit up.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Anyone else had a hard time understanding some of the dialogues? I felt like something was off with the sound. I couldnt understand who was working for home when the attorney and police officers were talking. Felt like they were just whispering sometimes. Worst was the mayor who was speaking gibberish. I had to turn my subtitles on.

Seems like many people faced this issue on Reddit as well.

Naw, we ain't crazy.

Dude you just tried to explain cinematography to a guy that thinks the Marvel films look good.

Anyways, It's good. Very different from the first season. Basically Mann-light told by dudes that aren't as good.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Anyone else had a hard time understanding some of the dialogues? I felt like something was off with the sound. Felt like they were just whispering sometimes. Worst was the mayor who was speaking gibberish. I had to turn my subtitles on.

Seems like many people faced this issue on Reddit as well.

Honestly, what I have trouble with is keeping all the side players and their positions/allegiances straight. I also had this problem in the first season too though.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Honestly, what I have trouble with is keeping all the side players and their positions/allegiances straight. I also had this problem in the first season too though.
Didn't have problem in first season apart from when Woody and Mac talk years later in that garage where I had to turn subtitles on.

There is definitely something wrong with the sound though in this season. I couldn't make out what Farrell was saying about that e-cig. Some reviewers have also talked about this.

oatmeal

Banned
The problem with this season, IMO, is that there's too much jumping around.

I understood in the pilot we had to see each character get to the point they were at the end of the episode, but it felt like they just separated again for no reason.

The best moments have been when Farrell is one on one with either McAdams or Vaughn, and they're very rare so far. TD Season 1 was at its best when Rust and Marty were talking and getting to know one another. Hopefully we get more of that...I was hyped by the little set up they had going in the warehouse, very The Wire...but immediately when everyone shows up they all leave and do their own thing.

Thus far, other than the interview at Benedict's place of business, there hasn't been any detective work done.

Im right there with others on having trouble with hearing the dialogue. But from what ive watched so far I doubt ive missed much since the writing this season is really disappointing.

Season 1 grabbed me from the moment Marty and Rust have their first talk in the car. From that moment I could see the differences in the characters and how theyd compliment one another.

While this episode was definitely better than the first, so far nothing has grabbed me like that in Season 2. Colin Farrel's performance is really the only thing keeping me watching. Hopefully it continues to improve as the season goes on.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
One of the biggest reason why this season doesn't seem very interesting is because pretty much every character is taking everything too seriously. Like grumpy principal pissed off at everything. And lol at that gay guy. I am not sure if he can act. No expression whatsoever. Writers should have at least made him a cool chilling dude to lighten up this show.

One of the biggest reason why this season doesn't seem very interesting is because pretty much every character is taking everything too seriously. Like grumpy principal pissed off at everything. And lol at that gay guy. I am not sure if he can act. No expression whatsoever. Writers should have at least made him a cool chilling dude to lighten up this show.

There's only one writer and he's so far up his own ass that he's tongue-kissing his esophagus. And that's coming from someone who liked S1.

aravuus

People have absolutely bizarre theories and complete misunderstandings of what they just watched here. Every TV thread is like this.

I suppose. It is pretty fun to throw around insane theories from time to time, though. It's great when, once in a million years, someone is right with their crackpot theory.

DrBo42

The more I watch it's like actors playing actors that were cast in season 2 of True Detective. Like they're playing actors that are intimidated by the critical success of the first. All the charm and style is gone.

What exactly is that a painting of?

It looks like a tribal (or pseudo-tribal) depiction of a crow. It's a visual leitmotif carrying on the bird imagery through the show so far. It's related to the Eyes Wide Shut-esque orgies mentioned in interviews, and the hidden hand of occult ritual and economic power going hand in hand, but other than that literalist interpretation its meaning has yet to be fully revealed. Hopefully it isn't some obvious ripoff of Alan Moore like last season's closing philosophical musings were.

Badgerst3

Struggling to stay with this show. Liked season one. (except for the contrived feel good ending)

Taylor is really bad in this. Some horrible lines, forced facial grimaces and cheesy mom side plot are brutal. He just does not fit and really overacts most of the time.

The writing is sometimes decent, and at times so over the top self absorbed and wordy. When its bad and cheesy it really stands out.

Still sorta compelled by the Rachel McAdams character. Watching just to see her use on of her 40 knives.

Taking it episode by episode at this point.

Top Bottom