• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

720x405-4615797431tl15.jpg

Totally plagiarized, but that's cool, the writer will get a few thousand after suing HBO

He's also working on a show for HBO with David Fincher.

EDIT: And yeah it's pretty close but different enough it will be "inspired by the writings of" instead of calling it plagiarism.Then again I've been referring to Kitsch as Danny Upshaw instead of his name in the show.

Too many ppl down on kitsch. He's fine in here. Vaughn has been the real boring mess here and that's only because of that opening monologue, otherwise I don't really mind him either

Farrell > all tho

Imm0rt4l

Vaughn has been bad but I can't even blame him entirely. I think he gets too much dialogue and theres poor direction. Kitsch is just lol.

Aurongel

I'd love to see some explanations as to why people think the performances in this show are bad because I honestly feel like everyone is trying to make the best of some spotty material and off tone direction.

Too many ppl down on kitsch. He's fine in here. Vaughn has been the real boring mess here and that's only because of that opening monologue, otherwise I don't really mind him either

Farrell > all tho
Same. Pretty much on everything. Though McAdams has made a contention for top tier with Farrell.

see5harp

Farrell's acting has been pretty spot on but his accent gets all fucked up during his emotional scenes. I can't be the only person who noticed that right? I wasn't in the thread when the episode was live.

DrBo42

I guess I'm not so interested in how my bike looks as in where it can take me.

It's not really a place its a feeling. Sometimes riding at night, I punch off the headlights and roll the throttle in just rocket blind into the dark.

But, you can't even do that on modern bikes. It's tied to the ignition.

Farrell's acting has been pretty spot on but his accent gets all fucked up during his emotional scenes. I can't be the only person who noticed that right? I wasn't in the thread when the episode was live.

yeah it was definitely slipping in that scene with Amantha

big ander

None of the performances have been good but Farrell has been best of em-- only because he is the cartooneist, campiest dude ever in this. If everyone were on the same wavelength as him--like the mayor guy playing up his drunkenness to looney tunes levels--this would at least be fascinatingly exaggerated and pulpy. Instead there's Vaughn doing something far more awards-baiting, Kitsch is too muted, and McAdams...she was the cast member I was most excited about going into this. And I went into this second episode hoping she'd validate that. Not the case. I can't crack what she's doing at all. it's so stilted and inexpressive, yet not in a way that feels a part of the character. Her lines being garbage don't help. That conversation about her experience with her dad's commune, for example, made zero sense. She tells the guy she was in the commune, then says five kids were there and two killed themselves while two are in prison. so why does the therapist then ask what happened to the fifth?? and why does she respond "became a detective" or whatever as if it's some clever punctuating line?

see5harp

yeah it was definitely slipping in that scene with Amantha

I'm actually surprised they didn't just overdub some of that. There were at least 3 lines that straight up sounded like his was a leprechaun or some shit.

None of the performances have been good but Farrell has been best of em-- only because he is the cartooneist, campiest dude ever in this. If everyone were on the same wavelength as him--like the mayor guy playing up his drunkenness to looney tunes levels--this would at least be fascinatingly exaggerated and pulpy. Instead there's Vaughn doing something far more awards-baiting, Kitsch is too muted, and McAdams...she was the cast member I was most excited about going into this. And I went into this second episode hoping she'd validate that. Not the case. I can't crack what she's doing at all. it's so stilted and inexpressive, yet not in a way that feels a part of the character. Her lines being garbage don't help. That conversation about her experience with her dad's commune, for example, made zero sense. She tells the guy she was in the commune, then says five kids were there and two killed themselves while two are in prison. so why does the therapist then ask what happened to the fifth?? and why does she respond "became a detective" or whatever as if it's some clever punctuating line?

That scene did stand out to me too. Like i'm fairly certain this licensed medical doctor can by the process of elimination figure out that the 5th kid is standing in front of him. That's like the first level of picross Rachel McAdams.

Gumbie

So far season 2 has been a huge let down from season 1. I'm going to stick with it a few more episodes but it just seems all over the place. What's up with everyone mumbling? Every time it shows the mayor (or whatever he is) I have to crank the volume to understand wtf he's saying.

Amir0x

Banned
This show really is missing the mesmerizing central performances of the first season of True Detective. It's like a gaping hole right now.

Turin

Banned
I'm liking it so far. Definitely not as alluring as Season 1.

Killing Farrell's character would suck. He's basically carrying the show right now.

I guess I'm not so interested in how my bike looks as in where it can take me.

It's not really a place its a feeling. Sometimes riding at night, I punch off the headlights and roll the throttle in just rocket blind into the dark.
I thought the exact same thing when he did that.

Jigorath

Banned
I'm not sure what Pizzaman was thinking with Vaughn but yeah he's pretty awful. Kitsch isn't much better and I guess McAdams is ok. Farrell is the only one who's really impressed me so far. I don't think he's dead, this season would take a nosedive without him.

Dany

Banned
Really liked the episode, Vaugn has been pretty great, I'm in love with his character. I wonder how far he'll go.

Though I'm not a fan of Kitsch's character. Just too empty and moody. Like, incredibly more so than the other leads.

So far season 2 has been a huge let down from season 1. I'm going to stick with it a few more episodes but it just seems all over the place. What's up with everyone mumbling? Every time it shows the mayor (or whatever he is) I have to crank the volume to understand wtf he's saying.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. It has to be something up with the audio mix right? I can't understand wtf anyone is saying in certain scenes.

vpance

I liked most of the scenes in this episode. McAdams and Farrell in the car, Farrell and the ex wife (great performance), the fried chicken with the creepy mom.. And those overhead highway "loading screens", got damn. Oh and Bezzerides is a cool last name.

Squalor

I'm glad they at least fixed the score this episode. It was awful in the pilot.

There were just as many laughably bad pieces of dialogue and exposition.

At the same time, there were more decent-to-good moments.

I liked how they added a herpes sore to the mom, because her living in a trailer park and having a lot of weird, awkward sexual tension with her own son just wasn't quite enough.

Turin

Banned
Lol. I'm new here so I'm guessing Vaughn has been incredibly polarizing?

I think he's been pretty good. McAdam's as well.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Wait............that's the dude from Battleship?

I had no idea. Dude can act.

Tugatrix

I don't think Vaughn is doing a bad job, we are just too used to a certain gangster stereotype.

As for kirsh he is really missing the mark, can he do more facial expresions?

Pooya

I think all four leads are giving at least a good work here, Colin Farrell is bringing his A game, I'm surprised at how good Rachel McAdams is at this somewhat weird role so far, VV is good too, this is unlike anything you're used to see him in and I like him. Talyor Kitch, well he was used to be big lead hero guy with John Carter and then Battleship, I haven't seen much from him to be honest and there is not much from his character here so far to judge but he's alright. Overall the casting is very interesting, they picked actors for roles that are quite unusual for them, except maybe Farrell.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Colin Farrell's performance has been fantastic but I've become accustomed to expect that, he's a great actor. I still don't really know what to make of Vince Vaughn here but I think he's doing pretty damn well. It's a dark character for him but he's making me believe it, as hard as it is to not see him as the Wedding Crashers guy.

Pyrogeek

I think all four leads are giving at least a good work here, Colin Farrell is bringing his A game, I'm surprised at how good Rachel McAdams is at this somewhat weird role so far, VV is good too, this is unlike anything you're used to see him in and I like him. Talyor Kitch, well he was used to be big lead hero guy with John Carter and then Battleship, I haven't seen much from him to be honest and there is not much from his character here so far to judge but he's alright. Overall the casting is very interesting, they picked actors for roles that are quite unusual for them, except maybe Farrell.

For Vince Vaughn, some of his early work did show off his dramatic side. He was great in Return to Paradise specifically.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
If the show was all about Farrell and Mc Adams, I wouldn't mind it. Taylor and Vaughn have been terrible. After watching Wilson Fisk in Daredevil, vaughn looks like a shitty parody of him.

So far I'm diggin' the show. Farrel is doing a smashing job,
so he better not be fucking dead because this show will fall apart if he is

As someone who has only seen VV in shitty comedy roles where he doesn't try, I've been pretty impressed with him thus far.

cLOUDo

If the show was all about Farrell and Mc Adams, I wouldn't mind it. Taylor and Vaughn have been terrible. After watching Wilson Fisk in Daredevil, vaughn looks like a shitty parody of him.

this is my problem
the latest mob chief i saw in TV was Kingpin and the comparison is terrible, he is not doing that bad but the rod is so high

Colin Farrell's performance has been fantastic but I've become accustomed to expect that, he's a great actor. I still don't really know what to make of Vince Vaughn here but I think he's doing pretty damn well. It's a dark character for him but he's making me believe it, as hard as it is to not see him as the Wedding Crashers guy.

Yup, Colin is consistently great in whatever he's in. He plays piece of shit to a fine art at this point. I mentioned this previously but watch Pride and Glory with him and Edward Norton. He is a shitty corrupt cop who at one point threatens to burn and disfigure a baby with an iron in order to get information. Yeah, he's a real piece of work lol.

colin_farrell.jpg

I'm also finding myself enjoying Vaughns performance too. His opening monologue seemed a little cringey at first but eventually I ended up believing it. McAdams still ain't doing much for me so far. She is pretty one note, with her 'fuck you all' face on 24/7. I dunno, maybe she'll grow on me. Taylor Kitsch, along with Colin is the most interesting, primarily because of how we're unraveling his messed up life. Taylor is doing a great job so far and I look forward to him and Colin the most, with Vaughn picking it up too.

big ander

Wait............that's the dude from Battleship?

I had no idea. Dude can act.

Kitsch was fantastic in the Friday Night Lights TV show. While I'm a very very mild defender of John Carter and thought he was decent in Lone Survivor and have hope for him in the rest of this (and have blocked fucking Savages from my mind), I'm starting to worry that FNL was merely a fortunate marriage of actor and character.

Kitsch was fantastic in the Friday Night Lights TV show. While I'm a very very mild defender of John Carter and thought he was decent in Lone Survivor and have hope for him in the rest of this (and have blocked fucking Savages from my mind), I'm starting to worry that FNL was merely a fortunate marriage of actor and character.

I like Kitsch, but I agree--I think his range is VERY limited, even if what he does within that range is solid. Maybe he'll open up as he develops.

Top Bottom