• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

I've only seen the first episode so far, but I hate the characters. Loathe Farrell's especially. I love Season 1 because of the funny banter intermixed with drama and themes. Season 2 is humorless thus far and has a dizzying array of boring, dead-serious characters. It's like everyone wants to be Matt M and no one wants to be Woody :\

The mayor is awesome too

This is stupidly random, but I just rewatched Super Troopers and forgot how the mayor's scene is my absolute favorite.

2YbnF61.jpg

I've only seen the first episode so far, but I hate the characters. Loathe Farrell's especially. I love Season 1 because of the funny banter intermixed with drama and themes. Season 2 is humorless thus far and has a dizzying array of boring, dead-serious characters. It's like everyone wants to be Matt M and no one wants to be Woody :\

Why would anyone wanna be Woody?

Marty was a piece of shit.

EDIT: The mayor was great!

You need the comical banter

I mean, really, it's just a 101-level concept: Marty was Rust's foil.

Velcro is the closest we have to a foil here, but even he is saddled with misery. Which isn't to say that Marty wasn't, but S1 did a fantastic job of showing how Rust's "bullshit" wormed its way, in some manner, into Marty's brain and outlook.

OctoMan

Banned
I think Kitch has been very impressive. I've liked his character and McAdams the best.

That monolgue by Vaughn to open up the ep was awful.

Amir0x

Banned
I dunno about that. I find Farrel, McAdams, and Vaughn to be quite good and charismatic.

Kitsch is eh.

None are in the league of the leads of the first season, plus I don't even know why we're including Vaughn on this list. Without exception he has been a bore the entire time, poorly emoting, conveying no real sense of menace when he otherwise should. I know sometimes actors can make this sort of leap despite their past work, but I am not convinced at all. When he was on the bed talking about his childhood, he just looked void... not like he was discussing a really deeply troubling moment of his childhood. Which is a shame since his role is so major.

Colin and McAdams is fine though, and Kitsch is...well, ok.

None are in the league of the leads of the first season, plus I don't even know why we're including Vaughn on this list. Without exception he has been a bore the entire time, poorly emoting, conveying no real sense of menace when he otherwise should. I know sometimes actors can make this sort of leap despite their past work, but I am not convinced at all. When he was on the bed talking about his childhood, he just looked void... not like he was discussing a really deeply troubling moment of his childhood. Which is a shame since his role is so major.

I don't agree.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
uhhh... well, if the title theme is any indication, this is unlikely to quite ascend to the levels of its predecessor

Colin and McAdams is fine though, and Kitsch is...well, ok.

Vaughn looked like he was reading a monologue for an audition.

Coins

Banned
Just caught up on this. I thought I was the only dude that goes riding at night and cuts the lights. Its a fucking rush.

vpance

Vaughn is gonna have to step his game up. That hit and run scene with him was fucking laughable.

He was faking empathy. Maybe went on a line or two too long tho.

There were a few moments where I thought his monologue went into cringe worthy territory, but I think he pulled it off.

I'm fine with not every character being super charismatic, deep, or witty. Feels more real that way. And lots of real people are boring. I don't think any of the acting can be seriously qualified as flat out bad.

Jarmel

Banned
He was faking empathy. Maybe went on a line or two too long tho.

There were a few moments where I thought his monologue went into cringe worthy territory, but I think he pulled it off.

I'm fine with not every character being super charismatic, deep, or witty. Feels more real that way. And lots of real people are boring. I don't think any of the acting can be seriously qualified as flat out bad.

Obviously but near the end where he spells out to the guy why he got beat, Vaughn did not portray any level of menancing.

Not to mention scenes where Frank gets angry are unbelievably dull/neutured. I mean look at the "Fucking Casper" scene in that Frank is supposed to be pissed but Vaughn plays him as if he lost a poker game not his life's work.

Obviously but near the end where he spells out to the guy why he got beat, Vaughn did not portray any level of menancing.

Not to mention scenes where Frank gets angry are unbelievably dull/neutured. I mean look at the "Fucking Casper" scene in that Frank is supposed to be pissed but Vaughn plays him as if he lost a poker game not his life's work.

This. I feel like Vaughn is playing this character a little too straight, at times. He has moments where there is life, but he (as in, the actor, no the character) just seemed drained. Like Lin wanted him to dial it back and Vaughn really isn't sure what to do.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I think the issue we're all having with Vince Vaughn is that they should've let the guy be a little...crazy and smile. A bit, idk...Joker-like and totally fucking nuts? It would loosen him up a lot in every scene, and also scare the viewer into believing that he's absolutely batshit crazy and powerful.

I think the issue we're all having with Vince Vaughn is that they should've let the guy be a little...crazy and smile. A bit, idk...Joker-like and totally fucking nuts? It would loosen him up a lot in every scene, and also scare the viewer into believing that he's absolutely batshit crazy and powerful.

Kinda, yeah. Vaughn is all charisma. Make him a low-level crazy "nobody" who ends up being critical to the case, not the goddamn stoic kingpin.

I gotta agree on Vaughn. I don't think any director would be fine with that performance unless there's something of the character we don't know of, that he keeps extremely cool or some shit, or the director asked for this. I feel like Vaughn being able to crack a bit more sarcastic and a douche like he usually is would help the character.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Episode 1 complete... I'm thus far not convinced that Vaughn and Farrell shouldn't have each other's role

Episode 1 complete... I'm thus far not convinced that Vaughn and Farrell shouldn't have each other's role

Wasn't there a story floating around where originally McConoughey was gonna get the part of Marty and Harrelson would get the part of Rust, and McConoughey was only willing to sign on if he got to play Rust?

neoism

Fuck man, Taylor Kitsch can really act. Why the fuck has he been in dumb shit until now?

I really despise Ray Velcoro.

always like him really really liked him in Friday Night Lights... he just picks shity roles...

the pacing was great in this ep but wtf.. though... at the very least with that ending Rachel will get more screen time.. she seems to be the lead anyway and really the only reason Im watching..

I'll give credit to Pizzaman, pretty sure he doesn't know Danger 5 exists

I think Pizzaman is secretly a geek like the rest of us and he's playing some long hoax on the television journalists. Dude's probably just a Lovecraft/Hotline Miami/GTA/cop movie fan and he just throws on layers of pretension and philosophy and cynicism to fuck with everyone.

neoism

I wonder if people would have liked the show at all if it weren't for Matthew McConaughey's character.

not me... Matty made the show... made the story amazing.... Matty is a better actor than anyone in this season... plus the dialog was better but the main writer dude worked on season 1 for a long damn time. I wouldn't have cared one bit if not for his amazing performance.... I like woody and all but yeah...

Wasn't there a story floating around where originally McConoughey was gonna get the part of Marty and Harrelson would get the part of Rust, and McConoughey was only willing to sign on if he got to play Rust?

I thought I read that MM pushed for Woody as Marty from the get-go (bros for lyfe), but not necessarily related to a change of roles.

not me... Matty made the show... made the story amazing.... Matty is a better actor than anyone in this season... plus the dialog was better but the main writer dude worked on season 1 for a long damn time. I wouldn't have cared one bit if not for his amazing performance.... I like woody and all but yeah...

Honestly, MM didn't automatically work for me. Actually, maybe it's: Rust didn't work for me.

I think I got on the TD train with episode 2 or 3 (I wanna say 2, but can't remember). Even though I enjoyed it, I remember thinking "MM is good but some of this Rust dialogue is bullshit". Because it did sound sophomoric, "holier than though", etc...everything that Marty was saying! GPhil 101 stuff.

Despite that, however, they still managed to create really lyrical moments with MM/Rust that completely draw you into his character and his world view. They get over the "this guy is full of shit" hump really quicky via Marty, and then THROUGH Marty (his comments start to match Rust's in some ways) and THROUGH the case, MM is validated. Not completely, but enough to pull you in. That's missing for me now.

Top Bottom