• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

dorn.

Vince Vaughn is maybe kind of sort of occasionally making it work in scenes with a better actor like Colin Farrell but holy fuck do the scenes with him and his wife suck. The only other thing I've seen the wife in was Black Box and she was terrible in that as well, same weird slurry overacting.

I'm 15 minutes in and oh my god this is dreadful. Between the "big dick" scene and "well then, go stand in front of a tank" this show has already delivered some of the worst dialogue in a season of bad dialogue.

What happened? I was so excited for this show, I'm blown away at how disappointed I am.

the dialogue is like it was written by david milch's long lost and and disappointing younger brother fester.

i think it's only intolerable during frank's lines though. velcoro is fine for the most part. it's not a good show but i would call it entertaining at this point because of farrell.

Vince Vaughn is maybe kind of sort of occasionally making it work in scenes with a better actor like Colin Farrell but holy fuck do the scenes with him and his wife suck. The only other thing I've seen the wife in was Black Box and she was terrible in that as well, same weird slurry overacting.

Is she on some kind of horse tranquilizer?

giga

Barring Frank and wife, that was actually decent. Dialogue and writing is still crap, yes, but Velcoro's acting when he was told the rapist was found was top notch.

coleco

I thought the episode was ok, but the scene with Vaughn and his wife talking was really bad. Those two remind me of the lead and wife in 'A most violent year' too much.

Overall the show is poor, to the point a nothing episode like this last one was probably the best so far. Meh.

Mistle

Ep wasn't as bad as I was expecting after last week. I actually didn't mind it, but it's still not blowing me away or anything. I feel like this episode should have happened ages ago, and the plot should have progressed a lot more by this point in the season.

Taylor Kitsch and Colin Farrell had some good scenes. I've read a few comments in the past saying Kitsch is boring, but I reckon he's a good actor.

Nah, just this ep and presumably they changed it for the 2nd half of the series (5-8).
Actually the second verse has been different every time.

Arkeband

Banned
I actually like Frank's wife, but I don't like Frank. Their scenes this episode were really painful.

Velcoro vs. psychiatrist was Rust Cohle &Toolbox vs. mechanics Part Deux.
McAdams and Kitsch finding the cabin was similar to finding the toolshed in S1.

I couldn't understand what Kitsch was yelling at his wacky mom but it sounded like she didn't like it one bit no sir.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I actually like Frank's wife, but I don't like Frank. Their scenes this episode were really painful.

Velcoro vs. psychiatrist was Rust Cohle &Toolbox vs. mechanics Part Deux.
McAdams and Kitsch finding the cabin was similar to finding the toolshed in S1.

I couldn't understand what Kitsch was yelling at his wacky mom but it sounded like she didn't like it one bit no sir.

All I heard was "kooz" which can be worse than "cunt" haha

Theorry

Farrel was on point this episode. Very good acting.
The jump in time was also needed and i think this was the best episode of the season.

Theorry

So good.

WuNhgbv.gif

The videotape happened around Ep 4-5 in S1, correct?

Was that shootout suppose to be that same "oh fuck" moment?

The show is starting to pick up. Farrell is showing why he's playing Velcoro, dem brows. I really want to know who he took care of if the rapist was just caught.

Bezzeredes is about to become vice. Woodrugh nearly flipped his shit on his mom.

The flash-forward was actually the palate cleanser I needed to keep going. It's weird as fuck to see a mustache-less Velcoro.

But Vince dude, work on that acting! You can play emotionally scarred Gangster and not be such a dull, wooden board!

While this episode was definitely a step in the right direction, there's still some terrible dialogue to he had here.

blue balls of the heart, i mean cmon now

I gotta give it to Colin Farrell. He is acting his heart out this season and he's really the only saving grace of this show in my opinion. I'd honestly say if the writing was better, he'd get an Emmy nomination easily.

squadr0n

This was the first episode that actually felt like a plot exsisted and moved forward a beat. All 3 of them are actually on the same page and we the viewer have a clearer idea of what it is they are after. Vince Vaughns character is the one now that really feels out of place and not needed at all accept to give us an inside look at the bad guys.

Still hate everything about this season compared to the previous. Worst idea ever for a "mystery thriller" if you can call it that.

I don't see any issue with vinces bad lines. It's the character. Haven't you met people in real life that says quircky things?

Not all lines or sayings are perfect. Also it sounds like he had a rough childhood so he's not likely to be giving perfect quotes or sayings.

Jarnet87

The videotape happened around Ep 4-5 in S1, correct?

Was that shootout suppose to be that same "oh fuck" moment?

The show is starting to pick up. Farrell is showing why he's playing Velcoro, dem brows. I really want to know who he took care of if the rapist was just caught.

Bezzeredes is about to become vice. Woodrugh nearly flipped his shit on his mom.

The flash-forward was actually the palate cleanser I needed to keep going. It's weird as fuck to see a mustache-less Velcoro.

But Vince dude, work on that acting! You can play emotionally scarred Gangster and not be such a dull, wooden board!

If you are talking about Rust showing Marty the tape in the storage unit that isn't til episode 7.

I still think that throwaway line Velcoro drops on Ani isn't getting enough attention lol. It's such a Pizzolato line where it sounds sort of deep and maybe sorta makes sense I'm not sure.

"I didn't realize you've been on my mind". Gotta try dropping that one on someone I haven't spoken to in a while and walk away after I say it.

I still think that throwaway line Velcoro drops on Ani isn't getting enough attention lol. It's such a Pizzolato line where it sounds sort of deep and maybe sorta makes sense I'm not sure.

"I didn't realize you've been on my mind". Gotta try dropping that one on someone I haven't spoken to in a while and walk away after I say it.

Modest Mouse says it better:

"I wanna remember to remember to forget you forgot me"

I gotta give it to Colin Farrell. He is acting his heart out this season and he's really the only saving grace of this show in my opinion. I'd honestly say if the writing was better, he'd get an Emmy nomination easily.

yeah farrell's doing the best with what he's given.

So no one got reprimanded for the shootout, huh? Ray quits, Ani transfers to another department, and Paul is doing fuck knows.

I knew it would happen.

Paul is left doing shit work (insurance fraud investigations), Ani is doing shit work, and Ray is out of a job. Also, it seems pretty clear that Paul is facing a lot of allegations for how that went down, as evidenced by the settlement scene with that movie star.

Aye. I was not interested in the show because it just seemed like they couldn't realistically get anywhere with the plot, so the jump forward by a few months or however long is much welcomed by me.

Paul is left doing shit work (insurance fraud investigations), Ani is doing shit work, and Ray is out of a job. Also, it seems pretty clear that Paul is facing a lot of allegations for how that went down, as evidenced by the settlement scene with that movie star.

Let's be clear: Ray quit, he was not let go. That's not a reprimand in any sense of the word. Shit work isn't being reprimanded. No one was fired or fined. Paul's settlement with the movie star has no relationship with the consequences of the shootout.

It's hard to try and cover up the fact that what would have been considered the worst police massacre in recent times resulted in a proverbial slap on the wrist for all involved.

If you are talking about Rust showing Marty the tape in the storage unit that isn't til episode 7.

Oh okay. I'm still waiting for that moment that will grab me and turn everything on the seasons head.

I guess the shootout is similar to the biker incident in S1.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Catching up, I'm on episode 3, and I'm really enjoying it even if much of my suspicious were confirmed, for better or worse. Namely a huge part of the first season's identity and charm is the combination of Harrelson and McConaughey, their characters and their journey. And from the start season two was doomed to be compared. Either it would foolishly attempt to replicate these characters again and inevitably never live up to the originals. Or it'd have to work with a clean template, which it has, inevitably losing that major component of the first season. It's a lose/lose scenario, to a degree.

That being said I love the themes of sexuality and perversion underlining this season so far, and how that differs from the first. Colin Firth is a fantastic actor and McAdams is great too.

Really the only seriously weak link is Vaughn, and I fucking knew this would happen. You can see it right in the very first scene in the very first episode. Dude just can't fucking act anything other than Vince Vaughn as Vince Vaughn always has been. As soon as the script or scene teeters out of his comfort zone he becomes wooden and unconvincing. I have no beef with his character arc so far (and am honestly surprised people are complaining about his wife's acting), but he's a terrible miscasting in my opinion.

So yeah, three episodes in, lacks the impact of the first season and nothing approaches the dynamic of Harrelson and McConaughey, but I felt it was always going to be that way. It still feels stylistically like True Detective to differ it from other cop dramas. It's still deeply personal over the case itself (which was the same for the first season). I just hope the pieces come together.

TRios Zen

This season has moved out of my "must watch live" list, but I'm still keeping up.

With that said - this was definitely my favorite episode so far, and can't help but think if we were HERE, 2-3 episodes ago, this would still be on the, gotta see it live list. Oh well.

Not perfect, but entertaining.

True, but I got lambasted last week for making this assumption. The quality of the writing this season made it easy to figure out what would happen.

Well, Ani being demoted to evidence is (at least the TV version) how they reprimand you. Sounds like they are treating Paul as a hero and made him detective. Velcoro wasn't in charge of the op, so he quit. They explicitly talk about how nobody cares, and that disturbs them (at least Ani, I think).

So I wouldn't say there were no repercussions.

This episode had much more momentum, but the dialogue is really fucking awful. The formula the show goes for is also getting pretty old - everyone just keeps going for the tortured constipation face while other people tell them what's wrong with them, sad girl sings a song in the bar, etc. This episode had a lot more going on than the last couple, but it's still not compelling, and I don't think this season will ever be. I did like Farrell's transformation though. Would have been far more striking if I gave a shit about any of these characters. :p

I am puzzled at the "excellent/amazing episode" comments. This episode was much better than the last ones but is still anchored in characters saying stupid shit and taking it so seriously the whole time.

People actually like this whole "Lera Lynn croons sad songs while two characters do shady shit and talk cryptic at the bar" thing? It might work in a show that took itself less seriously and was less "real world gritty", but the thought of these four loosely connected people, all coincidentally meeting in the same bar, only on nights when Lera Lynn is playing, is hilarious to me.

This show is so on-the-nose sometimes, I can't help it. I literally laughed out loud when, after having that emotional moment and re-connecting with his wife, Frank and her lie in bed, and he says, "Hey, the water spot is gone!"

Velcoro/Farrell continues to be the "anchor" for the show, in his performance and storyline (at least, it has my interest). I still don't give much crap for "cop with attitude" Ani and whatever her sex issue is (big cock speech was hilarious bad, I don't know what Pizza thinks he's doing with her character), Mr. "Store 20k in a Backpack in my Junkie Mom's Trailer for Four Years" (anyone else think the same shot of him, showing his scars, was much more dramatic/effective in the trailer than it was here?), or Frank, whose scenes will officially be my "run to the kitchen for a snack" breaks upon rewatch.

I don't know, if that was what people consider the show being good or decent, I think it's already lost me. The dialogue is just not working for any character or actor IMO. It's trying to do some hybrid of pulpy noir and ominous one liners with oddly timed verbosity, but it's run through a filter where everything which should be a witty little remark or dramatic line is coming through the speakers like an avalanche of cringe. The cadence in the writing sounds completely off, like scripts written by someone who's never heard/seen humans interact before but tried to create stylized dialogue anyway.

Vince Vaughn in particular has had to mumble out some ridiculous stuff in these 5 episodes. I mean: "It stymies my retribution. It's like, uh........blue balls....in your heart." Jesus Christ. It's like bizarro Justified where none of the beautiful rhythm or masterful control of one liners and "words of the day" transferred. I was wrong, Max Payne couldn't even make some of this stuff work.

But this post is crazy negative so I'll touch on the one part of that episode that did work for me: Velcoro tailing that guy with the thumping low end soundtrack droning in the background where nobody talked and Colin Farrell did his furrowed brow investigative thing.

Yeah, this. I will say the timeskip serves as a nice re-do for understanding wtf is going on in the show.

So I see people actually enjoyed this episode? ._.

BlE9mnn.gif

Top Bottom